• 72 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

We now live in an age where potentially huge moments in films are leaked months in advance. It's good fun finding out who's cast in which role and who will direct, but I'm left wondering.. do you really want to know specifics about the film's plot, too? It's a tricky subject. There's a strong desire to be in on the latest information, but at the same rate, not many of us want movies to be spoiled for us. Now, I'll try my best to not sound like an old guy complaining about how the times are changing and all that... but truthfully, that's kind of how I feel.

When I first saw Iron Man in theaters I went into the film pretty much oblivious to what I had in store for me. In fact, I think I only viewed a few trailers and interviews during the time. I'm grateful for that because the end result was an unparalleled viewing experience. The first rotating shot of Tony stepping into the armor had me in awe. But the real treat was the post-credits scene. I had no clue whatsoever about what would come next and the result blew me away.

Back then, I had a super busy schedule in college, but now I do spend most of my time in front of my computer, trying to bring Comic Vine the latest developments on everything we care about. That said, I have a strongly mixed opinion on it. On one hand, we are indeed a business and we need to stay on top of the game. If we don't cover these huge scoops, other sites still will. This means you -- our super awesome readers -- will migrate to those other locations and, in turn, give them your traffic instead of us (your traffic gives us +5 happiness). Naturally, that's something we don't want to see. But on the other hand, I feel as though these big rumors (despite not always turning out to be true) do indeed reduce the excitement we could experience in the theater or even when the first official teaser is released. Yes, we're still beyond stoked for these things and these scoops certainly keep interest levels at an all time high, but are you okay with knowing key points before buying your ticket?

No Caption Provided
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Spoilers are a massive double edged sword. They reveal something you want it will sell the film even more so. Spoil something important and ruin the film

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@EdwardWindsor said:

Spoilers are a massive double edged sword. They reveal something you want it will sell the film even more so. Spoil something important and ruin the film

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ptigrusmagus

Long as there are spoiler headlines scoops are OK. Can't complain about a scoop if you ignore a spoiler alert as some have done with the Iron Man posters.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KnightRise

How excited would we have been if the armored corps made a sudden appearence in film, rather than being revealed in the trailer?

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By EMH_Bruce

I don't want big spoilers (a reason why I mostly stay in Gen. Dicussion), yes I like to know which actor plays which character, but I don't need spoilers like "OMG he will do THIS/THAT!!!!" or "Talk with HIM/HER!!!" that's just annoying.

Especially if you don't live in the US and get to see every movie/comic at least 2-3 months later <__<°

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ccraft

Also long as people don't spoil the ending of something.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@TheAcidSkull said:

i just want a solo hulk film...

I second this!

But please not Planet Hulk, I don't want to cry because Caiera dies ;__;

(I mean, I already spoiled myself by reading the Story Arc summary, but still v__v°)

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#11  Edited By StMichalofWilson

@EdwardWindsor said:

Indeed, a dangerous double edged sword.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@TheAcidSkull said:

@EMH_Bruce said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

I second this!

(I mean, I already spoiled myself by reading the Story Arc summary, but still v__v°)

you should read planet hulk! it's a great story!

I will and want to! I just hadn't the time to do it.

I just already know that I will cry T__T

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

They really can ruin things.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Superbat420

I enjoy spoilers, and I don't think it ruins the film at all.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#16  Edited By pspin

Spoilers suck.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By DH69

anything and everything posted can ruin a certain part of the movies for a person, trailers these days can reveal half a plot in 3 minutes or less, theres constant posts and reports for movies that spoil things, its impossible unless you live without the internet, i just try not to let it get to me.

Its the fact that seeing the word spoilers instinctively makes me want to click on it, like a do not press button I HAVE TO PRESS IT!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By SoA

scoops don't because one can read the title and make their own decision against reading it . what spoils more is people putting the spoiler in the title of a thread so when you are looking for interesting threads to respond to you end up getting a spoiler for a comic or show you have yet to read/watch

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ellie_Knightfall

I am a huge stickler against spoilers. To the point where I will watch a movie's initial trailer (and sometimes the extended), but after that, I eschew even that.

Although I will say in the case of Damian Wayne, that spoilers enhanced the reading experience for me (and also prepared me).

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmashBrawler

I've been having to avoid Man of Steel spoilers like crazy these last few days.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By kennybaese

I guess for me, there's a distinct difference between knowing what will happen in a story and actually seeing it unfold. As such, spoilers don't matter at all to me. Someone can tell me that something will happen in, say, a movie, and if it sounds rad my first thought will be that I can't wait to see it. The only exception maybe is twists. Then again, I watched Fight Club for the first time knowing the twist and I loved it, so maybe not even then.

People complaining about spoiler constantly makes me crazy though. I don't even like Portlandia that much, but this is case in point as to why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM0AI5T4wYo

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#22  Edited By GR2Blackout

I would hate for a Planet Hulk/World War Hulk movie.

The comic arc of it wasn't that good to start with anyways.

Also:

BRING ON DA SPOILERS!

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF

I have never met someone more interested in spoilers then myself but even i have a point where i feel they have shown to much (I have only felt that way maybe 2 or 3 times). I love spoilers and they usually get me even more excited for the movie bc whether i know its coming or not when your in front of that big screen with the seat rattling from the sound of explosions its hard to get that same feeling by watching it on your computer screen.

Even with as much as i love spoilers i didnt know that the Post credit scene description for Iron Man 3 had been leaked until this article (from which i went and looked it up lol)

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By the_tree

I used to be a big spoiler hound, then I eventually quit. I find it best to go into a film with as little expectations and knowledge as possible, and when an interesting turn of events hits, I'll be genuinely surprised.

The fight against seeing spoilers is an arduous struggle, though. I'm already a bit upset that I saw some of the armors that are going to be in Iron Man 3. Thankfully, I haven't seen anything for Man of Steel besides the first two trailers.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jorgevy

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@EdwardWindsor said:

this

and trailers nowadays do this a lot with specific awesome action scenes and shots

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CptPanda29

The trailers have already ruined like 80% of Iron Man 3, like what is there left to find out? Iron Man wins at the end?

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Ninjablade09

I like to be spoiled in trailers not on print. I like trailers because then I cant wait to see such a cool part in the trailer be in the movie. Trailer's though always make it cooler.

Bigwalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bigwalt

For me personally spoilers don't bother me in the slightest.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By chalkshark

I find spoilers are actually fairly easy to avoid. I don't even watch the trailer, unless it's playing in front of a movie I've gone to see. On the flip side, my cousin spends hours trolling the internet for every little shred of information he can find about films he has an interest in, to the point where I have to wonder why he even bothers to actually go see the film when it's finally released. To each their own.

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30  Edited By fACEmelter88

I love spoilers! They are often given a warning so anyone who reads a spoiler knows what they are so there is always a choice. Don't cry if you read them, you know there's a possible spoiler so don't read it if you don't want to.

cborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cborg

A study showed that "spoiling" the end of stories before reading them actually increased enjoyment of the story. So feeling hearing an ending beforehand hurts ones enjoyment of the story may be imagined.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2011/08/15/story-spoilers-may-boost-enjoyment

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shackle

Yeah, that's why "Lincoln" sucked; everyone knows how it ends /s

There are times when knowing plot details ruins a story, and times when it doesn't. Generally, the worse the story, the more critical it is to be surprised by plot details. Don't believe me? Do you re-read good books, or bad books? You re-read good books, because it's less about the story, and more about the TELLING. People are entirely too plot-centric today; they have no scope or understanding of the art of storytelling. In short, I don't care about spoilers, because I don't judge a story by the plot, I judge it by how effectively it was told.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lightsout

Yes

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blackkitty

It depends on what's shown to be honest. The problem with reporting is that news does not work with the movie industry to help promote the movie. Instead it takes all the information it can get, tells everyone about it and in the end all the best scenes of a movie are ruined because I've seen them 20 times already before it ever came out, not to mention the entire plot is usually given away, all surprise appearances revealed. All in all, I get excited when I first see it but, then I become so jaded and acclimated that the movie just doesn't do it for me when it finally comes out.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jinxuandi

One of the reasons why ComicVine is my go-to source for comic-related stuff is that the staff usually DON'T spoil key plot points unless it's after release (and even then, only for really big events). I get that most sites want to get as many pageviews as possible and one easy way of doing so is to be the first to break some detail or rumor. But I would rather just watch the movie when it comes out and enjoy it. I find that if I watch trailers, read rumors/spoilers/interviews and so forth, I can only concentrate on the plot points I already knew about beforehand and how they will work into the story.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By mk111

Hmm. If its only a rumor, then I don't mind, but if its a confirmed spoiler, then I won't read it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@shackle said:

Please keep this thread spoiler-free. I'm going to eventually get that on Netflix and I'm very curious to see how that turns out!
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@k4tzm4n said:

@shackle said:

Please keep this thread spoiler-free. I'm going to eventually get that on Netflix and I'm very curious to see how that turns out!
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@shackle said:

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KomicKev

You know how on the main page of your website you have the titles of your articles and then we readers click the link and it takes us to that page? If you are going to have a spoiler-ish story, then you should boldly state *SPOILER ALERT!* - - and then we can make up our own minds on whether or not to click on that link.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By Pokeysteve

Didn't read the whole thing but I definitely DO NOT want to know details of plot and story. It pisses me off sooo much when I go to one of my favorite movie sites and there's a big honkin spoiler right frickin there in the title of an article.

Thank you to CV's staff for not being A-Holes like that =D

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GrimoireMyst

@TheAcidSkull said:

@EMH_Bruce said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

@EMH_Bruce said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

I second this!

you should read planet hulk! it's a great story!

I will and want to! I just hadn't the time to do it.

I just already know that I will cry T__T

Maybe you will :P, can't spoil anything though !

Oh you will unless you have a heart of stone. Even my heartstrings were struck a little. lol

Back to the first post I also would love a new solo Hulk movie as well but that doesn't look like it will happen until after Avengers 2 which is odd since I did hear the rumor that Ruffalo signed at least a three to six movie (or appearance) deal with Marvel so I thought he would at least pop in for the Shield tv series.

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Big_Nasty

It is almost impossible to spoil something for me. I knew how MUA and Batman Arkham Asylum was going to end and I still bought the game.

powerhouse1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By powerhouse1122

I must disagree on this one. Big scoops are actually one of the best marketing tactics, because it gives us something to look after the film. I mean I really wasn't that interested in IronMan3 until their latest poster showed up.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I'm one that really hates spoilers. I almost wish that I didn't even have a full cast list before I see a movie (specifically a comic book movie) because you can get a general plot from the character list.

I also try to avoid preview clips, because I wind up seeing the best parts of a movie ahead of time, out of context, and the movie magic disappears when I actually do see it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@powerhouse1122 said:
I must disagree on this one. Big scoops are actually one of the best marketing tactics, because it gives us something to look after the film. I mean I really wasn't that interested in IronMan3 until their latest poster showed up.
You're talking about official releases by the studio. This is talking about leaks and rumors -- aka information released unofficially. 
HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HumanTorch101

I knew about the ending scene for Iron Man before I saw it but I was glad I did because it just made me more excited about the film. I knew about the Avengers one as well and it was also super exciting. I will probably avoid any spoilers for the comic book movies this year though because I am really excited about them and I want my viewing to be as pure as possible. On the Skrulls thing, they couldn't be Skrulls since the rights for them are owned by FOX because of them having Fantastic Four. Also, the Chitauri in Avengers weren't even like the Chitauri in The Ultimates since they were just aliens and not shape-shifting aliens. It seemed like the reveal about them was just a little nod to people who knew what that name meant.

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i try to avoid every spoiler that's too big. for example, an idiot ruined the fourth season of dexter for me by spoiling the end of it. so spoilers are a bad thing..... for me at least.

Whatchuptu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Whatchuptu

I enjoy building my own hype for a film by following scoops online...and I think if the studio is careful about what they release, some early scoops are okay. But, when someone on the inside is 'leaking' unreleased information I think this is just sad.

I was thinking that studios could use this against people and just reveal bogus propaganda information to throw people off the scent....or use lightly radiated bills to trace the leak *ahem* - The Dark Knight.

Spoilers ain't going anywhere...but I think if you don't wana know...then just don't go online.