Do any superheroes or villains have closed-loop origins?

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

My favorite origin story for any character is actually Phillip J. Fry's in Futurama. It's a temporally closed-loop, meaning that events in the future cause certain other events in the past, which lead to the aforementioned events in the future, which lead to said events in the past, and so on and so on, ad infinitum. Ignoring the part where he's his own grandfather, in a separate time-traveling escapade he goes back to the moment in which he was frozen for a thousand years, intending to alter the course of known history and recover the life in the 21st century which was stolen from him, but in a truly tragic turn at the last moment sacrifices his own happiness to preserve the time-stream, pushing his past self into the cryogenic freezer. Thus his own future sacrifice is his origin story.

I've been a comic book reader all of my life, and am greatly familiar with most mainstream characters, but cannot think of an example of which the hero's origin is a closed-loop. Could anyone provide an example of such, if it exists? As a metaphysician with a focus on the nature of time and eternity, this is of particular interest to me.

Edit: Oh, I am aware of Barry Allen being the bolt of lightning that struck his lab per Flash: Rebirth and of Myxlptlk and all other 5th dimensional beings having closed-loop timelines per Morrison's New 52 run on Action Comics. Are there any more?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#2  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Actually, come to think of it, doesn't Doctor Manhattan become the quantum observer of an infinite number of possible histories of the universe, collapsing them all into a singular reality only by acting backwards through time to cause the accident which gave him his powers in the first place (at least according to Straczynski's Before Watchman)?

No Caption Provided

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Red Son Superman.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Red son superman - super man is a descendant of lex luthor, jor L (for luthor) sent kal back in time to like 1950s where he battles lex luthor which is his great x 100 grand father.. pretty cool