Do all Marvel Superheroes live in Newyork?

devilvert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By devilvert

i know newyork is big, but it seems like everytime i pick up an marvel comic it is always about protecting newyork. isn't there other places to defend? 

also, why are comic books so focused on America? It's like when you see other countries in comics through DC or Marvel they have only a few superheros well America's got them all. 

-thank you!
xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By xkoenig

The X-Men are spending a lot of time in San Francisco/Bay Area right now, but other than that I agree.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DH69

well not "all" but a hell of a lot of them do, x-men are in san fran, west coast avengers were in cali, alpha/omega whatever that lame ass canadian super hero were stationed up in...well who the hell cares about them.

and the reason most comic are centered in america is because most of the companies are american...and canada sucks, but they travel around the world to other countries to prevent stuff...i guess. Atleast marvel doesnt have AMERICA in their main super teams damn name, i'll stop reading marvel if they ever become the AVENGERS OF AMERICA...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I believe that a lot of the Avengers Initiative teams are still functional, so that's at least one group of 4-5 heroes (whether famous, imfamous or obscure) in each American State.

There are still other international heroes, even though there hasn't been an Excalibur for many years.  Not many though.  I'm struggling to think of any teams outside of America... But there are still a few individuals.

Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous
@devilvert said:
" i know newyork is big, but it seems like everytime i pick up an marvel comic it is always about protecting newyork. isn't there other places to defend? 
also, why are comic books so focused on America? It's like when you see other countries in comics through DC or Marvel they have only a few superheros well America's got them all. 

-thank you!
"
Perhaps because the traditional 'comic book' as we know it, was invented in America. All the heroes were invented in America, by Americans (give or take a few). Given these facts, where would you expect the story lines, and character development to take place? 
As for the 'New York' centric aspect of most heroes, that is simply because back in the day, all the artists and writers had to LIVE in NYC in order to have a career in the medium. Because of this, landmarks, politics, personalities, ect...were all much easier to write/illustrate locally, because of the familiarity that the talent had interacting with all these aspects of NYC lifestyle. It's changed a bit through the years, as todays artist/writer, can technically LIVE anywhere, and submit their work via digital technology. Hence, you see more heroes living outside of Manhattan then you did 20-30 years ago.
Zaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zaiyan

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

DC and Marvel are both based in New York, so it kinda makes sense that their events would occur there, for the most part. And, of course, Stan Lee grew up in New York, so a lot of his characters originate and are active there.

But not all characters are based in New York. The X-Men are off the coast of San Francisco.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

@devilvert:
It often seems that way, doesn't it?
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

All the coolest Marvel heroes live in space...

darkskaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkskaar

hulk did not originate from new york.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Icon
@DH69 said:
"

well not "all" but a hell of a lot of them do, x-men are in san fran, west coast avengers were in cali, alpha/omega whatever that lame ass canadian super hero were stationed up in...well who the hell cares about them.

and the reason most comic are centered in america is because most of the companies are american...and canada sucks, but they travel around the world to other countries to prevent stuff...i guess. Atleast marvel doesnt have AMERICA in their main super teams damn name, i'll stop reading marvel if they ever become the AVENGERS OF AMERICA...

"
What's with the random Canada-bashing? That's rather weird, and frankly obnoxious/offensive. 
DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DH69
@Icon said:
" @DH69 said:
"

"
What's with the random Canada-bashing? That's rather weird, and frankly obnoxious/offensive.  "

would be if i wasnt canadian, face it most canadian super teams are pathetic, and honestly cliche. aside from the occasional decent canadian superhero...we got squat worth bragging about
devilvert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By devilvert
@DH69: 
really? 
Deadpool and wolverine, if i lived in canada, are all but good enough! lol 

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

Just the popular ones...

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PurpleCandy

In the comics, who knows why. But I think all superheroes are usually from New York in the movies because New York makes for a climatic battle ground.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16  Edited By x_29

The only popular hero that did not live in new york ( or at least born) was The Wasp, who was from New Jersey.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Jorgevy

New York is one of the largest areas in the world and one of the most ethnically diverse. It also houses a lot of different companies in various areas of research, from genetics, pharmaceuticals and robotics. It makes sense that with that much people and that much meta-human potential, a large percentage happens to go/appear there.

also, if you had super powers, where would you go? If I had, I'd go to New York. Granted, I dont live in the USA, but well, NY is kinda the "capital" of the world, it's normal that most people once given great power decide to make a living and a difference with these skills and what better place than NY??

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By They Killed Cap!

You had the West Coast Avengers for a time and the Great Lakes Avengers as well...

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Most of them do.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

There's a superhero team in every state and in every country. 

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Cap10nate

I think it makes sense that most of the comics take place in New York. Just about everybody knows about places in New York (Wall Street, Times Square, Central Park, Broadway, Statue of Liberty) so it makes it easily relatable. You get a better response than if it was located in Market Square in Pittsburgh. Plus, a lot of international people have been to New York. I travel overseas for work to Europe and I swear 80% of the people I talk to have been there.

As for most comics taking place in America, the majority of comic readers are American. I'm assuming they care more about what is happening in America than internationally. I'd be more prone to pick up a book that takes place in NYC than Rio, London, Hong Kong etc. There might be an audience for the international titles but I doubt it is large enough to be cost effective for the company.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By TDK_1997

There are some that are away from New York but most of the heroes and villains are from New York.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By RedQueen

@Vance Astro said:

This...after the initiative.

The Runaways are based in LA. Excalibur in Britain...there's two (oh, and Alpha Flight) there are plenty of other ones.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@RedQueen said:

@Vance Astro said:

The Runaways are based in LA. Excalibur in Britain...there's two (oh, and Alpha Flight) there are plenty of other ones.

@TDK_1997 said:

There are some that are away from New York but most of the heroes and villains are from New York.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedQueen

@Jnr6Lil said:

@RedQueen said:

@Vance Astro said:

@TDK_1997 said:

I don't know; there's an argument that can be made to suggest that this isn't the case.

By comparing every superhero/villain team ever conceived by Marvel....I would bet that the majority (at least 51%) are not from New York/work in New York.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@RedQueen: Oh from New York, I would say the majority live in NY but aren't from it.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hatutzeraze

Everybody except Texas Twister.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Billy Batson

@Vance Astro said:

NAME THEM.
BB

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By karetaker

i like the runaways alot.there in LA and have there own series

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Billy Batson said:

@Vance Astro said:

NAME THEM.
BB

There's 50.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@Billy Batson said:

NAME THEM.
BB

Aquarian worked in Oregon. Can't we all just get along?

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedQueen

@Billy Batson said:

@Vance Astro said:

NAME THEM.
BB

Challenge Accepted. (I'm a huge nerd regarding the 50 state initiative and wrote most of them down when I cam across them.)

There's: The Cavalry, The Point Men, Freedom Force, Mavericks, Dark Avengers, Force of Nature,Liberteens, Rangers, The Garrison, Earth Force, Action Pack, Force Works, Spaceknights, The Women Warriors, The Order, Desert Stars, Psionex, The Called, Great Lakes Initiative (home of Squirrel Girl), The Battalion, Nextwave, Thunderbolts, U-Foes, Hellcat working alone in Alaska, Camp Hammond, The Heavy Hitters,the Ohio Initiative...

And others that don't actually get named (as far as we know) like the teams from Louisiana and Indiana. Wait...that's just in the U.S.

There's plenty more.....

GardnerLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GardnerLantern

The American Dream, that's why criminals go to New York City in hope of a better life doing the crime. Super-heroes do the same thing.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Billy Batson

@RedQueen said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Vance Astro said:

NAME THEM.
BB

Challenge Accepted. (I'm a huge nerd regarding the 50 state initiative and wrote most of them down when I cam across them.)

There's: The Cavalry, The Point Men, Freedom Force, Mavericks, Dark Avengers, Force of Nature,Liberteens, Rangers, The Garrison, Earth Force, Action Pack, Force Works, Spaceknights, The Women Warriors, The Order, Desert Stars, Psionex, The Called, Great Lakes Initiative (home of Squirrel Girl), The Battalion, Nextwave, Thunderbolts, U-Foes, Hellcat working alone in Alaska, Camp Hammond, The Heavy Hitters,the Ohio Initiative...

And others that don't actually get named (as far as we know) like the teams from Louisiana and Indiana. Wait...that's just in the U.S.

There's plenty more.....

NOW EVERY TEAM FROM EACH COUNTRY.
BB

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedQueen

@Billy Batson said:

@RedQueen said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Vance Astro said:

NAME THEM.
BB

There's plenty more.....

NOW EVERY TEAM FROM EACH COUNTRY.
BB

I've started to regret the acceptance of this challenge.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@GardnerLantern said:

The American Dream, that's why criminals go to New York City in hope of a better life doing the crime. Super-heroes do the same thing.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why America? Well some combination of population size & "less restricted breeding" (ie: people from all different backgrounds reproducing willy-nilly - really mixing up the gene-pool. Higher chance of powers cropping up. As opposed to some old-world countries where they stay within their own "community" and perhaps are even told who they must pair with).

Also, the $$ for any tech-based powers or the man-made development of powered-people.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine hangs out in Japan from time to time. Iron Man's origin was in Vietnam. I'm sure there are more, but if comics are written in the U.S., it kind of makes sense that the writers (most of which were American in the beginning) write about a place they know. Everybody, pretty much, knows New York and can relate to it. Not everyone knows Buford, Wyoming. (Really small city, can't tell you anything about it except for it's population of 1 or 2.)

Let's not also forget that comics originally had some roots in war propaganda, in a sense. Lastly, it's expensive to be a superhero, and there's lots of money in New York. Considering a lot of superheroes are rich, it makes sense that they would live in such city.

Oh, one more thing: No villain wants to go mess with a small town with a population of 20 or 30. They go to our hub, New York City. Even villains in the real world attack there, for the same reasons.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: lol, me being canadian too must royally piss u off XD

but come on canadian superheroes suck.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69 said:

@thorson: lol, me being canadian too must royally piss u off XD

but come on canadian superheroes suck.

nope, its just you and your arrogance.

ghost911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is a question i hope who someone actually knows the answer to. For all the super heroes that live in new york and for all the villians that do so much damage to new york. How is it that new york is still standing and have buildings still standing even people alive still. To much damage is done and being done if you think about it, nothing should be left.

And its bullshit that spiderman is in new york and isnt in the aavengers whether hes dc or not.

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers