Diversity in cinecomics: DC win?

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok a lot of people hate DC and their project for a cinematic universe, but you have to admit that the idea of Marvel and Sony to have a black Spiderman would be pretty pathetic. DC ,on the other hand, want to bring two original black superheroes in the Justice League. Cyborg and (probably) John Stewart. This is a good move to bring diversity in the cinecomics, not changing the ethnicity of famous characters but bringing on the silver screen the black heroes that already exist in comics. I'm sure sooner or later DC will give us Mr Terrific and Steel too, maybe in a Cyborg movie (three black heroes protagonists would be interesting).

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vinomonster

Interesting. If they introduced Hawkman, MMH, Kyle Rayner, Captain Steel and more girl superheroes they will win when it comes to diversity.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster: I don't know about Hawkman (or Hawkgirl) but I'm pretty sure Zatanna will be in JLD and personally I'd like to see a movie about Big Barda and Scott Free. Kyle Rayner and John Stewart could be a fantastic team for a GL trilogy

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't think the current Spider-Man rumor is anything to get worried over at all. Has John Stewart been confirmed, though? I know DC has been considering it, but I didn't know it had been set in stone.

Marvel will be giving Black Panther his own movie, but they already has a fairly diverse cast of characters - especially if you count the Asguardians as a race. :P

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: DC actually has Amanda Waller, Deadshot and Cyborg. The Green Lantern will probably be John Stewart. Plus if we count Asgardians as a race, even the people of Atlantis are a different race............

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Pretty sure it's not a competition

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh ok, got it DC good Marvel pathetic moving on.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

@battle_forum_junkie: DC actually has Amanda Waller, Deadshot and Cyborg. The Green Lantern will probably be John Stewart. Plus if we count Asgardians as a race, even the people of Atlantis are a different race............

Even though there's a pretty good chance they'll use John Stewart I still wouldn't say that it's set in stone just yet. But, yeah, I knew that they where introducing/changing those characters.

But Marvel still has Nick Fury, War Machine, and Falcon. And a few more if we're counting the shows like Agents of SHIELD since they're technically in the same universe. I don't see how Marvel's cinematic universe is currently any less diverse than DC's will be or how it really has any bearing on the quality of their movies.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: Nick Fury, War Machine, and Falcon are all supporting characters. In Suicide Squad Deadshot will be the protagonist and GL and Cyborg will have their own movies.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

@battle_forum_junkie: Nick Fury, War Machine, and Falcon are all supporting characters. In Suicide Squad Deadshot will be the protagonist and GL and Cyborg will have their own movies.

Deadshot wasn't originally African-American, but I don't think they cast Will Smith for diversity's sake. Besides, why does it matter if the are supporting characters or protagonists? Does it make them any less diverse? And why does it matter how many African American, Asian or Hispanic characters they have? It's not like it's a contest to see who can cram as many "diverse" characters into their cinematic universe, nor does it have any bearing on the quality of their movies.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moul

@battle_forum_junkie: "why does it matter if the are supporting characters or protagonists? Does it make them any less diverse?" no, it make them less important :)

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: Regardless of weather they're protagonists or not they are still important characters. And, again, why does it matter? Do you feel it makes their movies better quality if they have a wider selection of authenticity?

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: It matter for a lot of people who want to see more diversity in cinecomics. And IMO it has more sense to bring characters like John Stewart and Cyborg on the big screen, instead of change the skin colour of Spiderman

meaTman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinomonster: @moul: @moul: U gotta be kidding. Nick Fury's and War Machine's been there since the begining. We got Falcon now(all of which will be in AoU). Black Heimdall. And the BP will be the first major cbm with a black lead. Luke Cage is getting a Netflix series. Black Widow's been there since the start. Now we got Scarlet Witch. Captain Marvel's movie is a sure thing now unlike WW who's movie is still in limbo. Agent Carter has a tv series. Jessica Jones is getting a Netflix series. AoS is fully of minorites and wemon. In all honest Marvel has completly concured the whole "diversity argument". Any one still trying to make this an issue is well...im sorry to say it but an idiot. Especially if your comparing them to DC. A hypothetical film-verse thats done absolutly nothing.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

@battle_forum_junkie: It matter for a lot of people who want to see more diversity in cinecomics. And IMO it has more sense to bring characters like John Stewart and Cyborg on the big screen, instead of change the skin colour of Spiderman

I agree that it makes sense to use pre-existing characters, which is why I don't think this Spider-Man rumor is anything to scrutinize. It doesn't make sense to do that just for the sake of having more diverse protagonists.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting. If they introduced Hawkman, MMH, Kyle Rayner, Captain Steel and more girl superheroes they will win when it comes to diversity.

Martian Manhunter?

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatman: WW movie is confirmed. Supergirl's going to have a TV show. Vixen will appear in Arrow and filling Wonder Woman's role in the CW trinity. In the TT tv series there will be Oracle, Raven and Starfire. Arrow and Flash have both a lot of diversity (Diggle, Cisco, Iris and her father, Tatsu).

meaTman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By meaTman

@moul: and what about the green lantern rumor. Its talking about turning GL into a Mexican WOMAN. How is that not just as pathetic? And I forgot about Deathlok, Gamora, Maria hill and the Inhumans are gonna be Marvel's X-MEN. Its gonna be full of minoritys and wemon.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

Don't forget the Amazons and Kryptonians.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Kal'smahboi

¿Porque no los dos?

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@moul said:

Don't forget the Amazons and Kryptonians.

Marvel also has the Badoon, Kree, Chituari, Xandarians and a crap ton of unnamed alien races in Guardians of the Galaxy. :P

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: I was talking about real diversity. Are you one of that guys who think Martian Manhunter count like diversity in the original Justice League? please..............

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said: @battle_forum_junkie: I was talking about real diversity. Are you one of that guys who think Martian Manhunter count like diversity in the original Justice League? please..............

I was just messing around, man. Sorry if I derailed your thread, though.

meaTman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: According to the director(Michell McLoren) WW's movie is in limbo. Its not green lit, no script and "IT HAS NO OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE". Everything MS has done with diversity is in it for the long haul. Its all in the same universe. DC has a bunch of temporary supplemental crap in different universes thats more than likly gonna dissolve as soon as the DCCU gets rolling. In other words the only thing that matters is what the DCCU has done which is nothing.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What do they win?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glee Diversity isnt real diversity.

Its just an act.

What do they win?

GLAAD Media Awards.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am find with Non White Aquaman. Greek-Isralei Wonderwoman. HIspanic mama cita Green Lantern, (since there is an entire corp to choose form and Hal have proven that he doesn't draw box office bucks). Black Cyborg is a must. Ben Affleck and of course white bread superman. A will smith deadshot.

Seems legit. Vs. White Cap, White Thor, White tony, White Natasha, White Barton, White Banner, White Ant Man, White Dr. Strange. White Peter Quill..... Oh and now you have white Wanda and White Quicksilver too. At least Ultron is black?

It does seem more diverse. Only DC take is more photo surrealisitc while Marvel is more a homage to the original avengers but with a twice.