Disney Calls Avengers 2 A Failure? What?

• 116 results
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/03/avengers-age-of-ultron-was-considered-a-failure-at-disney-and-what-happened-next/

No Caption Provided

Apparently a story is making the rounds that basically is saying despite Avengers 2 making good money Disney believed it under-performed and that's what initiated the major shake ups going on at Disney; Marvel Studios breaking off from Marvel, the disbanding of the Marvel Film Committee, the empowering of Kevin Fiege, & the depowering of Ike Perkmutter .

From BleedingCool:

Because, although the film made a lot of money and got okay reviews, it didn’t make enough money. Or get as good reviews as the first. People, basically, didn’t go back for seconds.

And as a result, at Disney, it has been dubbed a failure. Which enabled Kevin Feige to use it leverage to push out Isaac Perlmutter, without whom there wouldn’t even be a Marvel Studios. And forced the disbanding of the Marvel Creative Committee a few months ago.

But since the initial leak of Marvel Studios absorption into Disney, there’s been a rash of stories leaked about the evils of Isaac Perlmutter and the ineptitude of the Marvel Creative Committee, which almost seems like a calculated effort.

Mickey Mouse doesn't accept mediocrity.

What are you guys thoughts? Sound off below!!!

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well I can understand why , Avengers 2 lacked a lot of stuff , and it lacked a story to me, it didn't progress well but its definitely not a failure

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Redatom1234

@lukehero: I actually agree a bit. Maybe it made a ton of money and got average reviews. But the movie itself wasn't all that. The first one I watched 8 times within 2 months of its released. I only saw AOU once,I can't be asked to go back for seconds.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: Not gonna lie, I only saw this one once. The first movie I saw 5 times in the theaters.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: I actually agree a bit. Maybe it made a ton of money and got average reviews. But the movie itself wasn't all that. The first one I watched 8 times within 2 months of its released. I only saw AOU once,I can't be asked to go back for seconds.

you feel that way too ? the only good part of the movie is the last 30 min , the movie itself had pacing like Green Lantern , just wanted to be quick to action with no story

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: I actually loved it while I was watching it, but I guess it wasn't good enough to motivate me to go see it again.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Age of Ultron was amazing, but I can probably understand that Disney expected it to make more money than the first one.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

To be fair, the first Avengers sucked too.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, you are a DC fanboy.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

To be fair, you're an MCU fanboy

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
@saintwildcard said:

Not really, if I was, I would constantly try to bash DC, and I dare you to find a comment from me bashing DC, but you sir, all you do is bash Marvel so you can feel superior, you know the MCU is so good and loved, that you feel the need to bash it in order to make you feel better and more secure about your preferences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again I'm in the minority but AOU was superior to the first and is tied on my top ten CBM list at number 1. I don't understand it being a failure but what the hell do I know?

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@birdman400: I actually loved it while I was watching it, but I guess it wasn't good enough to motivate me to go see it again.

I liked it but it was a disappointment in terms of team up movie, that's why I feel Justice League movie will be better just b/c DC knows how to progress a movie

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: DC hasn't shown ****. They have one movie for their new universe and as much as I loved MOS, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt on anything until I see more.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: @thor_parker82: If you guys want to talk about movies and stuff, by all means please stay. If you're gonna have the same dumb DC vs Marvel conversation, please GTFO.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@saintwildcard: @thor_parker82: If you guys want to talk about movies and stuff, by all means please stay. If you're gonna have the same dumb DC vs Marvel conversation, please GTFO.

I"M A GROWN ASS MAN! I CAN BITCH ABOUT FICTIONAL CHARACTERS ALL DAY WHEREVER I WANT!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@saintwildcard said:

Not really, if I was, I would constantly try to bash DC, and I dare you to find a comment from me bashing DC, but you sir, all you do is bash Marvel so you can feel superior, you know the MCU is so good and loved, that you feel the need to bash it in order to make you feel better and more secure about your preferences.

By your logic, I'm not a fanboy either. And more of your post is hilarious on how wrong it is. You sound like the kid who gets picked on and thinks that because I do, I was molested or something. Just cus I don't bend over for every MCU movie doesn't mean I don't like parts of the MCU. I've gone on the record saying many things that I like and look forward too. But you seem to have ignored those posts.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Noone301994

Compared to the first one, money-wise and rating-wise, it kind of was.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucked compared to the first so it was a failure.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
@saintwildcard said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@saintwildcard said:

By your logic, I'm not a fanboy either. And more of your post is hilarious on how wrong it is. You sound like the kid who gets picked on and thinks that because I do, I was molested or something. Just cus I don't bend over for every MCU movie doesn't mean I don't like parts of the MCU. I've gone on the record saying many things that I like and look forward too. But you seem to have ignored those posts.

Don´t mask your hate, it´s ok, I understand that bashing the MCU probably makes you feel more secure about your preferences, so go on :)

Compared to the first one, money-wise and rating-wise, it kind of was.

Didn´t you love AOU ??

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Da fuq is the Mouse talking about? A failure? It cleared 1.3 bill at the box office + merchandising and they still haven't added upcoming downloads and BLU ray sales.

...ok Disney o_•

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I think overall it was a superior film, but because it was just an amped version of the original with not much more to offer it just doesn't stack up too high.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Asgaard

BleedingCool? Yeah sounds like a reputable source not bait at all... (lol)

Wasn't near the success of Disney John Carter/The Lone Ranger/Tomorrowland, but i guess not all movies can have that kind of success, and sure that Disney had a lot of movies that made more money than A.AoU i understand the high standards, although i only can remember 1 the original Avengers...(lol)

In terms of box office A.AoU only under perform in the domestic market but made more money than the original Avengers in almost every other international market...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

I"M A GROWN ASS MAN! I CAN BITCH ABOUT FICTIONAL CHARACTERS ALL DAY WHEREVER I WANT!

But aren't you the dude that destroys the arguments from who disliked MoS? That story where everything is fictional?

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sovereign91001

On what planet is over 1 billion dollars at the box office considered 'underperforming'? They must be smoking the good s*** at Marvel.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On what planet is over 1 billion dollars at the box office considered 'underperforming'? They must be smoking the good s*** at Marvel.

it terms of likeability , AoU isn't a movie you want to watch more than once , but Avengers is a rewatchable , (ive personally watched it 15 times)

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@birdman400: DC hasn't shown ****. They have one movie for their new universe and as much as I loved MOS, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt on anything until I see more.

BvS looks promising , Suicide Squad looks like it might exceed expectations heavily

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It felt really lacking in comparison to the first one imo tbh.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: Oh yeah I'm hype, but I have to wait to see the movies. I mean there are costume stuff I didn't like in the pictures from SS, but once I saw it on video I changed my mind. So, we all have to wait at the end of the day, but I am pumped and I thought the trailer for BVS looked amazing.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It doesn't matter whether you liked it, the movie being a failure is about how well it performed in theaters, i.e. how much money it drew in.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By birdman400

@lukehero said:

@birdman400: Oh yeah I'm hype, but I have to wait to see the movies. I mean there are costume stuff I didn't like in the pictures from SS, but once I saw it on video I changed my mind. So, we all have to wait at the end of the day, but I am pumped and I thought the trailer for BVS looked amazing.

Suicide squad might have what we've waiting for in ALOT of CBM's , good Character development , the trailer shows a quick preview how all characters get their abilities and their motives

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: I like that so far it doesn't seem like a "Will Smith" movie.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree. I was expecting way more out of that movie

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: I get that, but at the end of the day it should just come down to how much money it makes and I don't think any reasonable person would say a 1+ billion dollar return at the theaters is a failure.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I can see it. I mean I bet they were expecting it to make close to 2 billion and were hoping fans loved it like the first. Instead most felt it was ok and not as good as the first. If the MCU is to continue it must maintain a consistent amount of love from its fanbase. Disney might be fearing that Avengers 2 is a sign of fatigue from audiences. I bet they, like most, were expecting it to make more than the first and audiences to like it more than the first.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It was a failure to me. I thought Ant-Man was better.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spambot

One thing to consider when comparing AoU to A1 is that in every other MCU franchise the sequels have outperformed the originals. AoU also benefited from a much stronger intl market and still couldn't outperform A1. So ya, I think it left something to be desired. It made 30% less domestically than A1 did. It prob could have made around $1.7-1.8B if it were a better movie.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@birdman400: I like that so far it doesn't seem like a "Will Smith" movie.

yea but I mean who else can play leader like will Smith ? I mean deadshot is black now

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

I hated Antman, my wife & I laughed at how bad/generic it was.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: I get that, but at the end of the day it should just come down to how much money it makes and I don't think any reasonable person would say a 1+ billion dollar return at the theaters is a failure.

yea but if you watch the commercial of AoU , it looked good until you actually watched the movie , the commercial made it look like a potential record breaker

For ex. Avatar's commercials really made it look like an actually good , and the movie is the highest grossing movie of all time

I expected A lot more from AoU

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By dernman

Opinions

@lukehero said:
@dernman said:

I hated Antman, my wife & I laughed at how bad/generic it was.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Say what you want about the quality of the movie but I wouldn't call it a failure financially

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I though Ant-Man was significantly better as well.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think it was a little better than the first, but I can understand why people thought the first was better. But just because it wasn't a monster hit doesn't mean it should be called a failure. There are still millions of fans who saw it and are going to see the two-part conclusion regardless of what they thought of AOU, so I don't think really drastic measures are needed.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unrealistic Expectations.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: I did, but the facts don't lie, it didn't perform as well as the first one did when it came to ratings or numbers. They probably expected the second one to outperform the first one (when it came to those factors) and it didn't come anywhere close, so I can somewhat understand why they think it was a failure. It just depends on what you or I define as a failure. I personally thought it was a masterpiece. Tons of action, great dialogue, character development, great villain, etc., but Disney doesn't care about that. It's all about the monies.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2g said:

@dernman: I though Ant-Man was significantly better as well.

Same here, and although it may have been somewhat "generic", what Ant-Man had going for it was a focused story and good pacing, unlike AoU which felt a bit disjointed, like just a series of clips strung together, and that proved distracting and ruined the flow of the movie.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: Actually I think Disney wants both good movies and monies. If the product is poop fans will grow tired of it.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Welp....it wasn't very good.

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Yup. Ant-Man was fun and presented itself as such. Age of Ultron pretended to be something it wasn't.