#1 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had a conversation with my friends and wish to know the vine's opinion on this:

Marvel has virtually every one of their heroes stationed in ONE city, where as

DC has virtually every one of their heroes station in MULTIPLE cities, not to mention Marvel bases their titles in real cities where as DC bases their titles in fictional cities.

Question is: Which way of setting do you like more and why?

#2 Posted by TheCannon (19226 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally both like and dislike both.

I like that DC has their heroes in multiple cities, because it makes more sense. However, I don't like that all of their cities are made up.

I like that Marvel uses real cities, but I find it stupid and ridiculous that all their heroes and villains are based in the same city.

#3 Edited by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon:

So you want a mix?

Like have the core Avengers members have their own real city to protect, but have their public headquarters be, in say, Washington, D.C.?

#4 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that the Marvel Universe = New York City

It's so stupid. Nothing happens outside NYC really?

If I was a Supervillion all I have to do is hatch my evil plan anywhere but NYC and I'm golden.

#5 Posted by judasnixon (6988 posts) - - Show Bio

I always like it when marvel spread out their heroes. Like when the X-Men lived in the Outback or San Francisco or when there was a West Coast Avengers or Excalibur in the U.K.. I guess it doesn't matter much when people can teleport anywhere they want in the world or you are fighting in outer space every other Issue.....

#6 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain_Yesterday: Nice.

#7 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I always like it when marvel spread out their heroes. Like when the X-Men lived in the Outback or San Francisco or when there was a West Coast Avengers or Excalibur in the U.K.. I guess it doesn't matter much when people can teleport anywhere they want in the world or you are fighting in outer space every other Issue.....

Since when does any of that happen anymore?

#8 Posted by judasnixon (6988 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd: What Marvel Superheroes spread out? It doesn't happen anymore, that was kind of my point. 
#9 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like a mix..
 
1: A mix of real cities and fictional cities.   Having the real cities makes it easier to relate to.  Having the fictional cities makes it possible to have those ridiculous scenarios (like spider island) happen.  It's easier to accept that say, Center City was overrun by spiders for a few days, than NYC.  Also, if you have NYC AND Gotham AND LA AND Metropolis, you have more places to spread your heroes among.  it is RIDICULOUS that half the citizens of NYC are super heroes and the other half are villains.
 
With teleporters and dimensional doorways (like Pym had in the infinite mansion) mean the heroes can be anywhere on earth at any time, but they don't all have to live next to the Chrysler building...

#10 Posted by lightsout (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair, DC does feature real cities, but the flag-ship characters aren't from there. The Justice Society & Teen Titans have both done NYC, TT have also done San Fran IIRC. Powergirl was set in NYC....okay, a bit of a pattern with the real-life cities they use...lol, but they do use them sometimes nonetheless.

#11 Posted by judasnixon (6988 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the fact that they will make up a place that is supposed to represent a real place, because the real place is so crappy to live in and the big two doesn't want to insult anyone for living there. Like Gotham, Latveria, Mandripoor, or that made up middle east country in DC....

#12 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I love the fact that they will make up a place that is supposed to represent a real place

This is where I respectfully disagree.

If DC creators want their cities to be based on real cities, then just have their heroes based in real cities!

#13 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

I personally both like and dislike both.

I like that DC has their heroes in multiple cities, because it makes more sense. However, I don't like that all of their cities are made up.

I like that Marvel uses real cities, but I find it stupid and ridiculous that all their heroes and villains are based in the same city.

This

#14 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

@TheCannon said:

I personally both like and dislike both.

I like that DC has their heroes in multiple cities, because it makes more sense. However, I don't like that all of their cities are made up.

I like that Marvel uses real cities, but I find it stupid and ridiculous that all their heroes and villains are based in the same city.

This

Why though?

#15 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: Uh? I just agree with that guy..

I like that DC has their heroes in multiple cities, because it makes more sense. However, I don't like that all of their cities are made up..and I like that Marvel uses real cities, but I find it stupid and ridiculous that all their heroes and villains are based in the same city.

#16 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I always like it when marvel spread out their heroes. Like when the X-Men lived in the Outback or San Francisco or when there was a West Coast Avengers or Excalibur in the U.K.. I guess it doesn't matter much when people can teleport anywhere they want in the world or you are fighting in outer space every other Issue.....

And the Runaways in L.A....they were there for a while. It was one of the better points of the series, it meant that they didn't collide with the Avengers all that often.

Saying that, I quite like the fact that Marvel's heroes all live in one place, it makes it feel more close, more like whatever happens to one character effects another. Despite the logistics of it (i.e. If you're a supervillain, don't go to NY).

#17 Posted by comicace3 (6388 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm I like marvel's setting more because it makes it more... realistic whereas the dc cities you can't even find on a map. But I still like dc heroes nonetheless.