Discrimination against MEN in comics

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By x_29

To switch it up, have you read any comic(s) that shows or noticeably showed in one panel a pathetic portrayal of men that just came off as man-hating. Are there any popular male characters that are a real bad depiction of men? Do you think that in order to show how smart,independent and strong a female character is that some or most of the men surrounding her come off as stereotypical sexist idiots for just that reason? Let me know your thoughts in general.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SandMan_

Wonder Woman comics....

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

No.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By KainScion

any comic with dc amazons

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

In all fairness...I think men generally thought this of women in the age this comic panel came out

No Caption Provided
x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By x_29

@cattlebattle: true true, but im more thinking about the portrayal in comics from today than yesteryear.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Katie24

Hal Jordon comes off as a immature, egotistical pig in the new Justice League comic. I don't know is this is his character or if he was just poorly written because I have not read much else about him.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@Katie24:It's his character, but he's supposed to come off as cool. Also, I don't think it's considered discrimination.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Katie24

@JoseDRiveraTCR7: If Geoff Johns was going for cool when he wrote him, he missed by a mile. Jordon comes off as such a stereo typical "meathead" that if I was a guy, I would be kinda offended by the lack of good character or redeeming qualities. But I guess your right, its not discrimination per say. I can't really think of an example of discrimination towards men that I've seen in comics.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@Katie24:I haven't read much GL lately, but from the first few issues of Justice League that I read, Hal is supposed to be a cool fratboy.

saturnssailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By saturnssailor

Hank "Antman" Pym. He met the representation of the universe and it punched him. When Spiderman and Deadpool were having a "Your momma" jokes contest Deadpool said "Your mother's so fat, Hank Pym had to beat her up in the back of a quintjet". In the Avengers Animated movie he is portrayed as full of himself and he leers and Black Widow even though he's married.

Julian "Hellion" Keller. He started off as a good character (egotistical and rude, but a good 3D character with lots of positive tributes) and then for the sake of a comic (X-23) with a main female character, he was changed into a 2D typical creepy, obsessed guy who was just there to prove that they weren't going to be in a relationship and that she was happy being independent and single.

These might apply as they were both two good characters who were changed dramatically because of women. Though I think that Hank Pym was changed into such a disliked character because of actual women (he became known as a wife-beater and it all went downhill from there for him).

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Katie24

@saturnssailor said:

Hank "Antman" Pym. He met the representation of the universe and it punched him. When Spiderman and Deadpool were having a "Your momma" jokes contest Deadpool said "Your mother's so fat, Hank Pym had to beat her up in the back of a quintjet".

Julian "Hellion" Keller. He started off as a good character (egotistical and rude, but a good 3D character with lots of positive tributes) and then for the sake of a comic (X-23) with a main female character, he was changed into a 2D typical creepy, obsessed guy who was just there to prove that they weren't going to be in a relationship and that she was happy being independent and single.

These might apply as they were both two good characters who were changed dramatically because of women.

I'm not sure they were changed because of women as much as they were changed and used as a plot devise, like when Kyle Rayner's girl friend ended up in a freezer. Which is just bad writing.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By x_29

@Katie24 said:

@saturnssailor said:

Hank "Antman" Pym. He met the representation of the universe and it punched him. When Spiderman and Deadpool were having a "Your momma" jokes contest Deadpool said "Your mother's so fat, Hank Pym had to beat her up in the back of a quintjet".

These might apply as they were both two good characters who were changed dramatically because of women.

I'm not sure they were changed because of women as much as they were changed and used as a plot devise, like when Kyle Rayner's girl friend ended up in a freezer. Which is just bad writing.

This

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By agent9149

Powergirl shoudln't be allowed to say "eyes up here" when she's wearing that outfit, its obviously made to show off her ginormous boobs you get what you serve

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cosmo111687

@saturnssailor said:

Hank "Antman" Pym. He met the representation of the universe and it punched him. When Spiderman and Deadpool were having a "Your momma" jokes contest Deadpool said "Your mother's so fat, Hank Pym had to beat her up in the back of a quintjet". In the Avengers Animated movie he is portrayed as full of himself and he leers and Black Widow even though he's married.

These might apply as they were both two good characters who were changed dramatically because of women. Though I think that Hank Pym was changed into such a disliked character because of actual women (he became known as a wife-beater and it all went downhill from there for him).

Those comics aren't discriminating against Hank Pym for being a man. They're discriminating against Hank Pym for being a wife-beater (albeit, in a totally immature and idiotic way. Your mamma jokes? Really? Way to trivialize domestic violence, Marvel...)

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By agent9149

@cosmo111687: in all fairness its deadpool, im sure another character wouldn't have let that fly or taken that issue with such immaturity

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Agent9149 said:

Powergirl shoudln't be allowed to say "eyes up here" when she's wearing that outfit, its obviously made to show off her ginormous boobs you get what you serve

Ex-ac-tly

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By x_29

@Agent9149 said:

@cosmo111687: in all fairness its deadpool, im sure another character wouldn't have let that fly or taken that issue with such immaturity

God bless Amanda Conner for those boobies.

cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By cellot

I don't think you'll see much discrimination towards men. Maybe you could find a bit in Wonder Woman if you look hard, but the main issue is that not all male characters in comics are [insert trait here] for the sake of women. There are going to be a few dumb, male bystanders in the same way there are going to be a few fawning, female groupies. They're there to make the hero look good.

However, the main concern is that comics are still generally made/marketed for a male audience, regardless of who actually reads them. A basic way of thinking about it is this: heroes generally fall into people we'd like to be and people we'd like to date. There are exceptions, but as a basic concept I think we can go with that. The problem is most of the characters are people men want to be and people men want to date. We see tons of heroines with their zippers half done, wearing tiny swimsuit costumes, and heels. While there are characters where adds to the character (e.g. Emma Frost), there are other cases where it doesn't fit.

It's one of those things where it's not happening to one character that makes it a problem, it's having it happen to every character. How many times have you seen Batman or Superman gratuitously rip of their shirt because they look so sexy? How many times have you seen female superheroes with ripped costumes after a battle, not looking tired and beaten, but sexy?

If you want discrimination towards men: look at the Twilight franchise. That's probably the best comparison you could make to female discrimination in comics: the men are there to be ogled under the premise of fighting (or whatever), where their powers only make them sexier, etc. That's what the problem is with discrimination in comics: it's not that one full panel of Powergirl's boobs (although the one you posted is pretty bad), it's that most super heroines are sexual objects in the same way the men in Twilight are.

Well, after all that unfunny stuff have a funny link on why cleavage is not the best idea for Power Girl (and Wonder Woman).

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Katie24

@cellot said:

I don't think you'll see much discrimination towards men. Maybe you could find a bit in Wonder Woman if you look hard, but the main issue is that not all male characters in comics are [insert trait here] for the sake of women. There are going to be a few dumb, male bystanders in the same way there are going to be a few fawning, female groupies. They're there to make the hero look good.

However, the main concern is that comics are still generally made/marketed for a male audience, regardless of who actually reads them. A basic way of thinking about it is this: heroes generally fall into people we'd like to be and people we'd like to date. There are exceptions, but as a basic concept I think we can go with that. The problem is most of the characters are people men want to be and people men want to date. We see tons of heroines with their zippers half done, wearing tiny swimsuit costumes, and heels. While there are characters where adds to the character (e.g. Emma Frost), there are other cases where it doesn't fit.

It's one of those things where it's not happening to one character that makes it a problem, it's having it happen to every character. How many times have you seen Batman or Superman gratuitously rip of their shirt because they look so sexy? How many times have you seen female superheroes with ripped costumes after a battle, not looking tired and beaten, but sexy?

If you want discrimination towards men: look at the Twilight franchise. That's probably the best comparison you could make to female discrimination in comics: the men are there to be ogled under the premise of fighting (or whatever), where their powers only make them sexier, etc. That's what the problem is with discrimination in comics: it's not that one full panel of Powergirl's boobs (although the one you posted is pretty bad), it's that most super heroines are sexual objects in the same way the men in Twilight are.

Well, after all that unfunny stuff have a funny link on why cleavage is not the best idea for Power Girl (and Wonder Woman).

Completely agree!!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Strider1992

@cellot said:

Ahmen!

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DocFatalis

@Katie24 said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7: If Geoff Johns was going for cool when he wrote him, he missed by a mile. Jordon comes off as such a stereo typical "meathead" that if I was a guy, I would be kinda offended by the lack of good character or redeeming qualities. But I guess your right, its not discrimination per say. I can't really think of an example of discrimination towards men that I've seen in comics.

I hate Hal Jordan and all the clichés he represents. He's the one GL I'd like to see erased from the comic world for good.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By x_29

@cellot: well said

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#24  Edited By RazzaTazz

I am not sure what people are referring to in Wonder Woman comics. Have they ever been anti-men? In the golden age the Amazons were not allowed to have men on the island at one point because of the fear of "instantly falling in love with them." SInce the Perez reboot there has virtually never been a storyline without a well written male support character.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think what you see in comics as discrimination isn't really there. After all comics are for the most part a male dominated industry with a male dominated audience, why would you want to discriminate against your main source of income. Sure there is always going to be the crazy creepier guy in a female lead comic, and of course you got the crazy male villains for a female to fight, but I wouldn't say its rampant.

Now if you want to talk about male discrimination in other forms of media, by all means go right ahead.

Uno_Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Uno_Oscuro

@SandMan_ said:

Wonder Woman comics....

So true.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

This is about as bad as people suggesting that Marvel hates Thor.