Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mark_Stephen

He really does.

“There have always been two categories of Sue – the slutty secretary version, and this brilliant scientist version. This is a really, really smart Sue, and one that is dignified and has integrity.”

From an interview on this page.

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-details-josh-trank/

I know Sue had some bad costumes in the 1990's but really I never saw her as either a secretary or a slut. They are giving me more and more reasons not to go see this movie.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mark_stephen: bro i hated the movie as soon i saw miles teller was gonna be in it...

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: I'd like to keep an open mind but man, they are making it very hard.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: they are throwing out most of what we know cuz they want to reboot the franchise.. but damn... there are some missed steps.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Josh Trank, you better not disapoint me! You're the only reason i'm watching this movie.

-Lightbringer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, why? Fantastic Four seems to always get butchered in film.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The topic title takes things way out of context here. He's making an analogy... What he means is that Sue has been portrayed one of two ways in the past by writers, one that is useless and possibly just eye candy and another as intellectually smart with a particular set of skills...

Mistakes like these are caused by "selective reading."

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

Ugh. It's one thing to privilege your re-imagining over the original material (which by itself is arrogant and unwarranted), but these guys are taking every opportunity to diss the comics, even presenting their re-imagining as an enlightened alternative to comics' "slutty Sue." It's starting to tick me off.

Seriously, Invisible Woman not being a scientist like her 1610 counterpart does not make her a slut or a secretary, just a layman, like Johnny, Ben, or anyone standing next to Reed for that matter. Furthermore she's portrayed as very loyal to Reed and committed to their marriage. This ignorance doesn't surprise me, seeing as the cast members were informed that the comics were useless.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

The topic title takes things way out of context here. He's making an analogy... What he means is that Sue has been portrayed one of two ways in the past by writers, one that is useless and possibly just eye candy and another as intellectually smart with a particular set of skills...

/thread

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@slimj87d said:

/thread

Agreed.

Misterkyle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@slimj87d said:

My problem with this though, is that for one, Sue's has never been a "slut", hell throughout her entire,near 50 year, history she has remained faithful to one man, and she hasn't been portrayed as weak or eye candy for nearly 30+ years. Even when she was the team resident damsel she was never really sexualized through it. <NO that "costume" never happened!> Let not also forget that she's been the most power member of the teams since the mid 80's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Misleading title.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dan12456
@slimj87d said:

My problem with this though, is that for one, Sue's has never been a "slut", hell throughout her entire,near 50 year, history she has remained faithful to one man, and she hasn't been portrayed as weak or eye candy for nearly 30+ years. Even when she was the team resident damsel she was never really sexualized through it. <NO that "costume" never happened!> Let not also forget that she's been the most power member of the teams since the mid 80's.

Agreed with this, sure the director says there is a smart, intellectual Sue. But she has never been just a "slutty secretary" other than the odd shitty comic. Saying that is a major version of Sue is just bs and demeaning to the character.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

This is why they cast Alba in the last 2 movies. And look how THAT turned out!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@darthmummy: the slutty secretary comment refers to her original portrayal in the 60s as opposed to the more recent portrayal. That's pretty much all that the man is saying.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Every superhero has been butchered on film, quit your whining c:

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@darthmummy: the slutty secretary comment refers to her original portrayal in the 60s as opposed to the more recent portrayal. That's pretty much all that the man is saying.

There's no real connection to the 60's portrayal, and when one dismisses the source material like that, he demonstrates contempt for it. He's just trying to marginalize the older comics. Comics that he's supposed to be adapting.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

This sort of makes me think Trank has a Madonna-whore complex lol.

Sounds like he's trying to be super modern and create a 'strong independent woman archetype'. I swear about 99.9% of the population don't understand feminism.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

-Lightbringer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By -Lightbringer-

@symbioticspider-man said:

@-lightbringer- said:

Every superhero has been butchered on film, quit your whining c:

I thoroughly disagree with that statement. Plenty of superhero movies that I believed to be good and which also did my favorites justice.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27 JediXMan  Moderator
@slimj87d said:

I agree. The director appears to be attempting to make Sue dignified, which I applaud.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguywithheadphones: but he's not calling her a slut... He's expressing that some writers haven't made good use of her, and he prefers the sue that has been written well. The one that is shown to be intellectual.

He was using an analogy and metaphor.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Meh

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think what the director means that there are two versions of Sue:

The smart one and the eye-candy one who everyone wants to bed..

The movie will have the smart versions of Sue, although she was always smart... Writers either acknowledged that or ignored it...

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Nope, that's what he said and I didn't take it that way at all. I took it to mean that this person has probably looked at the comics but never read them, seeing only Sue's costumes. Note I posted the link to the interview so that people could make up their own minds.

Either way is this really the type of interview that shows people he cares about the comic and characters or just that he's got his own ideas and he's going to use the names of the characters and the title of the book to make and market the movie that he wants.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fastforward a few months and the movie is finally released turns out that Sue Storm in the movie is less of a slutty secretary, she is a background doll with barely any relevance in the movie.