Digital Vs Hard Copies

AlexHasek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By AlexHasek

I really think there’s a split between fans of digital/web comics (downloads) and fans of hard copies. And with comics in particular, this split could not be more profound.

Although digital and hard copies are both designed for reading, the function of these two mediums seems far apart.

The comic industry as we know it was built on hard copies, digital versions are relatively new to the industry. But the hard copy version broke the comics into a field that may very well be bigger than the field ever intended; COLLECTING.

I have noticed that most hard copy readers are also collectors. I think there’s also a strong faction of readers that only read GN/TPB, but both those mediums are off-shoots of the traditional hard copy. I have also noticed that many of the hard copy readers I personally know DON’T prefer digital versions of the same material, and that many web-comic readers are NOT regular purchasers of hard copies.

I can totally understand why the trade wants to promote digital works. They are less wasteful, easier and cheaper to make than hard copies. Also, the distribution of a digital book is instantaneous and the consumer has their product instantly, never having to leave their home.

Thing is, no one collects digital comics. I truly don’t think it can be debunked that what has saved comics through bad times in the past is the strength of a strong collector fan base.

So, can the digital and hard copy co-exist? Or, will fans split and segregate on this front making the “big” picture smaller? Will one of the two mediums ultimately fall out of favor and be abandoned for focus on the other?

If YOU could have only one; digital or hard copy, what would YOU choose?

Takers, anyone?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trodorne

I take it hard all the time.......

allow me to rephrase that. I often choose the hard copy just for the plain and simple fact I love the feeling and SMELL of comics in my hands. especially those old comics, I love the smell of newsprint paper mixed in with old ink. While at the same time that I have no problem with digital copies I would hope that people who download digitals would be responsible and get them from LCS digital store front from comixology. ::glare::

AlexHasek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexHasek

Save for the ability to read the material, the digital copy doesn't have any material retention to the sale itself...and, exactly; a digital work will never AGE. If you held Amazing Fantasy #15 on a CD, I think people would shrug. But if you held the actual 1962 version, you would probably feel like you are holding history (or check your pulse).

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

If you're paying the money anyways regardless of which you go with, how does anyone justify buying a digital copy? You don't own anything from the exchange, if it was a subscription thing I could understand digital but otherwise it makes no sense, I'm not condemning anyone who does, just saying it doesn't make sense. I buy physical copies, both for collecting purposes and so I actually own something.

Unless it proves to be better to buy digital copies, because of the scarcity of Hard Copies, which may be something you're not accustomed to finding in America. Obviously Users here have been using Hard Copies and don't have much problem with this and are used to going to the Comic book shop every week, so you'll find that most of the users will answer with Hard Copies.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

If you're paying the money anyways regardless of which you go with, how does anyone justify buying a digital copy? You don't own anything from the exchange, if it was a subscription thing I could understand digital but otherwise it makes no sense, I'm not condemning anyone who does, just saying it doesn't make sense. I buy physical copies, both for collecting purposes and so I actually own something.

Unless it proves to be better to buy digital copies, because of the scarcity of Hard Copies, which may be something you're not accustomed to finding in America. Obviously Users here have been using Hard Copies and don't have much problem with this and are used to going to the Comic book shop every week, so you'll find that most of the users will answer with Hard Copies.

<------------Canadian

again, I'm not saying there's no reason to buy digital but I certainly wouldn't do it at those prices, no way I could justify it to myself

*Whisper* Everyone in the world considers Canada part of America, except Canadians. *Whisper*

Isn't it the same price? I wouldn't know. I'm just saying there are those that don't have comic book stores, or have to drive an hour to their "local" comic book stores or the actual comic books are just ridiculously overpriced, due to shipping and whatnot.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Trodorne

most stores in canada should be selling comics at american cover prices. I know our store does.

AlexHasek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexHasek

Usually, downloads are available at a reduced price. It's hard to say where this is going, but DC has started to state things like "will be available for download" with their new releases when they solicit orders. And, here in my "regular" American small city, we are down to ONE comic shop. If that one remaining comic shop has customers opting for downloads over hard copies, that shop SUFFERS. I agree with Aztek_the_Lost, it's not that downloads don't have a place or reason, it's just that the industry has always been based on hard copies. But now, more and more, it appears they may want to move from that format.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp: Canada is far superior, you guys are just kidding yourselves to think you could be on the same pedestal as us

Exactly, it's the same price, and your getting a significantly cheaper-to-make product, if you're paying the same price, digital doesn't make sense. But yeah, I understand the reasons behind it, but it doesn't balance out IMO.

That's not exactly true (the part above too), but the thing is your mindset isn't necessarily correct. For example, Macs lots of the times are more expensive than PCs, however they are only slightly more expensive to produce, which doesn't justify the fact that they're so much more expensive. However, people still buy Macs because they're perceived to be worth the price. Same here, digital copies have their pros and people perceive them as justification to buy them: Such as instant gratification (no need to go outside to buy it), you can read it anywhere on any computer (I assume) which you can't with comics which means you have greater portability and lastly you can pay as you go. Which is why people buy digital copies, you however are a long time fan and take these things for granted and your brain is already hardwired to take these things into account which is why you don't see a pro on buying a digital comic.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By keith71_98

Hard copies by far. The only reason I would by digital is for old, old books that I could never afford but which I would love to read. Almost all of the digital books I've purchased (and there hasn't been many) fit this description. Now I do collect but I've found that digital doesn't offer the same experience as a print book. Digital also doesn't come across as art. I feels like I'm looking at some scan whereas a print book helps me appreciate the art much more.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By labarith

I should get a free digital copy (perhaps redeemable by some code on the comic itself) when I buy a comic.

Why? Because if I own it, I own it.

JediBuji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediBuji

I agree, i would even be okay paying a little extra for a combo subscription. reading digitally is extremely convenient for me (on my android tablet).

also, dont forget the publishers also get revenue from ads which are not in the digital version, which might explain the higher digital price than we'd like to see...

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Prefer hard copies.

slick23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By slick23

As long as you pay and support the people make the comics, it shouldn't matter. Its all about preference.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Yes but some people read digital comics for free.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

hard copys all the way! having th em in a shelf is way better than just reading them once and having nothing in hands.

and hard copys always get a certain value or can be limited but digitals will never. somewhere you can donwload all comics but hadcover you can always say i have a copy by my own and its just in my hands