Digital Comics Data

Agnosia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Agnosia

Ok so I want to start off by saying I was a skeptic when It came to the digital comics medium, but that was until I tried it out.  I actually think it makes comic reading a lot more fun and keeps from looking ahead with the panel to panel settings that most of these comic book apps provide. 
yadda yadda...
Buuuuuut....
The only thing that is keeping me from getting deeper into this digital medium is the fact that I cant control the actually data I am buying...Most of these apps provide an online database were your comics will be stored at and when you log on to your account you can view your library. 
what if these companies go out of business?
what happens to my collection?

If im going to start getting serious about digital comics im gonna need a stand alone app for my MAC or PC that I can download or buy, that holds my comics database on my hard drive.  SO that I may pass digital issues around to other people or transfer the information to another computer.  Just like a physical hard copy, you have the choice of giving them away or selling them, I need that freedom with the digital versions or I wont buy into it.

Agnosia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Agnosia
@aztek the lost:
 yeah but all that money spent just to view comics could be put towards purchasing actual issues that later could be more valuable... 

anyway you put it, its still going to bother me not to actually own the digital data I am buying...
Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Icon

An argument can also be made that a digital library is more safe. If anything were to happen to your physical collection (however unlikely) it's ruined or gone, but you can access a digital library any time. I also agree with @aztek the lost that Marvel's way of doing it is really good. For a fraction of the cost of buy comics by issue or trade I get access to thousands of their comics. The only problem is waiting for comics to get digitized since most new ones get a print run months before then end up online. That may change eventually.

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

I enjoy reading comics for the story and amazing things that happen in them 
but with that said i like to have ready access to them if i want to go and re read an issue I don't want to have to turn on my computer wait for it and the website
plus nothing beats having a comic in your hand
though i'm sure if i wanted to read an old series that i wasn't sure i wanted to buy i would check out digital copies of it 
the argument can be made for either way neither has a big advantage on the other and what you get with one you lose with the other kinda sad really:(

Rename

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Rename
@Agnosia: I  am collecting data for a survey on digital comics as I'm considering setting up a digital comic book store. The link to it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZSF2Y3C

Please complete it and send it any groups or individuals who buy digital comic books. Thanks for your help.