Digital Comics are Evil

Dreamcast89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dreamcast89

Digital Comics in my opinion are evil. Every time someone buys a digital comic they are contributing incrementally to the eventual collapse of printed comics. As someone who is new to comics, I can fairly say that my disdain for digital comics isn't rooted in some nostalgia.

One of the issues facing the current industry is the rising prices for tangible copies. 4-5$ for a comic is a ridiculous price. If I'm a corporate man in a suit sitting at a table in charge of such decisions, I would caution my peers that this will alienate many potential customers. The introduction of digital comics has lead to the danger of cannibalizing their own market. If people buy Batman New 52 on their ipad, they won't be buying a physical copy. How they fail to see the dangers is beyond me.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xanni15

I think you're ignoring the positives of digital copies, though. They can allow you to carry a tablet with all of your comics on it or at least downloadable from a website. That's easier than a backpack full of books that may very well get bent or harmed. People like convenience. Tangible copies won't go extinct, at least not for a while. :]

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Blood1991

I have two issues with digital comics. One is how they impact comic book stores. These are small bussinesses to begin with that are being hurt by an easily obtainable digital books, Two Piracy, digital comics can be pirated which hurts an industry that isn't doing incredibly well to begin with.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By selinaky

I much prefer physical copies too, but it's happening with a lot of media - look at CD's, many people simply download from iTunes for example. Same with books, DVD's, videogames; they are cheaper and quicker to get hold of digitally.

In the UK we've already lost loads of game shops, it will be such a shame if comic shops go too... there aren't many already!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

If it wasn't for digital I wouldn't be able to read comics at all, so I couldn't care less about physical copys 

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cap10nate

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

If it wasn't for digital I wouldn't be able to read comics at all, so I couldn't care less about physical copys

Same here. I only buy a couple series in hard copy because I dont think they are going to be valuable in the future and don't want to waste the space. plus it has let me read all of the older books that aren't readily available.I love digital books.

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sufferthorn

@Blood1991 said:

I have two issues with digital comics. One is how they impact comic book stores. These are small bussinesses to begin with that are being hurt by an easily obtainable digital books, Two Piracy, digital comics can be pirated which hurts an industry that isn't doing incredibly well to begin with.

This is true, yet at the same time, i want to know what happens next in my favourite series. So i even go and find youtubers who bootleg issues. >_>

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By greenteaforme

There are no American comic stores that I know of where I live (Seoul) save for some famous specialty shops, but they are very far away and I am not able to go very often.

Digital copies give me a way to at least read the more popular books without special order. I pay much more for a physical copy than you do - that you have the choice of both digital and physical copies, and comic book stores locally, and still complain baffles me entirely.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@greenteaforme

There are no American comic stores that I know of where I live (Seoul) save for some famous specialty shops, but they are very far away and I am not able to go very often.

Digital copies give me a way to at least read the more popular books without special order. I pay much more for a physical copy than you do - that you have the choice of both digital and physical copies, and comic book stores locally, and still complain baffles me entirely.

This