Did Goku Blow Up the Sun?

• 66 results
Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did Goku Blow Up the Sun? (57 votes)

Yes, Goku Clearly Blew Up the Sun 40%
He Only Destroyed a Portion of it 7%
The Sun Just Expanded, It Didn't Blow Up 9%
The Beam Simply Went Through the Sun 7%
What's a Goku 23%
What's a Sun 19%

So while I was watching the DBZ movie Cooler's Revenge, I noticed that during his final fight with Cooler, Goku not only launched Cooler into the Sun, but his Kamehameha caused a massive expansion and explosion, after which everything was dark. However, several seconds later, a new blue light appeared where the sun originally was. Did Goku actually blow up the Sun and was it subsequently replaced by the leftover ki of his beam? We already know that spheres of ki can take the place of celestial bodies (like when Vegeta replaced the moon with a ball of ki) and can emit and reflect light and radiation, so it doesn't seem far-fetched that Goku could do the same, except on a much larger scale since he was vastly stronger than Vegeta at this point.

Here's the video (watch 41:00 to the end.)

By the way, I know that this movie is uncannon, I'm just curious.

• 
KR0NUS11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like it.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. This is why Goku would godstomp Superman in a 1v1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

it's possible

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything is possible.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's a sun?

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like he did, but the fact no one reacted to the freaking SUN exploding and being replaced by a mass of Goku's chi makes it more than a little awkward. It DOES however prove that DBZ characters can't survive high temperatures like what you'd find in the Sun, given how Cooler reacted when he realized the blast was going to send him straight into it and Goku's confirmation that the Sun helped him.

Granted this is also so non-canon it hurts, as all DBZ movies are.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied: The opposite of dughter, I think.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he is called son goku those japenesse and their spelling

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does it matter this movie isn't canon and you're not taking account that coolers deathball contributed.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He clearly blew up the sun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The DBZ movies are daft.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kramotz said:

Yep. This is why Goku would godstomp Superman in a 1v1.

not really. some of their planets you could walk around in 20 mins.

Piccolo blew up the moon as well as roshi.

and I am pretty sure the earth in dbz is smaller.

I wouldn't go assuming the sun is some magnificent thing in this series either

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, goku didn't blow up the sun. it was cooler's supernova ball that exploded accordingly.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By micah007123

@kyrees said:

no, goku didn't blow up the sun. it was cooler's supernova ball that exploded accordingly.

If the very next scene didn't show complete darkness I'd say you were right. However it clearly does look like he blew up the Sun, of course we'd have to take into account Cooler's attack and it's contributions, but if we remove that from the equation he at least would have at taken out a large chunk.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: The Earth in DBZ is the same size as our Earth, nothing ever indicated that it wasn't. Also, the only DBZ planet you could walk around on in 20 minutes would be King Kai's planet, which is that size because Beerus blew up the original planet and he reshaped a fragment of it into a new, dwarf world. Nevertheless, that small ball of rock is hundreds of times denser than the Earth and has 10x its gravity.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like he did, but the fact no one reacted to the freaking SUN exploding and being replaced by a mass of Goku's chi makes it more than a little awkward. It DOES however prove that DBZ characters can't survive high temperatures like what you'd find in the Sun, given how Cooler reacted when he realized the blast was going to send him straight into it and Goku's confirmation that the Sun helped him.

Granted this is also so non-canon it hurts, as all DBZ movies are.

Well, no one reacted to the moon being replaced by a ball of ki, or the fact that the Earth is ruled by a talking dog. DBZ Earth's citizens don't really seem to care about anything. Also, Cooler is weak compared to current DBZ characters, so his durability is hardly something to scale off of, especially since his brother - already half dead and drained of all energy - survived a planetary explosion, the temperature of which would be much higher than what's found in the sun. But like you said, it's non-canon.

P.S Battle of Gods and Return of F are 2 canon DBZ movies.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kyrees

@micah said:

@kyrees said:

If the very next scene didn't show complete darkness I'd say you were right. However it clearly does look like he blew up the Sun, of course we'd have to take into account Cooler's attack and it's contributions, but if we remove that from the equation he at least would have at taken out a large chunk.

i can attribute that to their wonky physics and how they told the movie but in succeeding instances where an enemy gets blasted to the sun (like broly and baby), darkness wasn't even evident afterwards and these instances are far more powerful than cooler's instance barring his supernova.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@micah said:

@kyrees said:

i can attribute that to their wonky physics and how they told the movie but in succeeding instances where an enemy gets blasted to the sun (like broly and baby), darkness wasn't even evident afterwards and these instances are far more powerful than cooler's instance.

I have a response to that but let me ask you how do you explain the blue sun?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kyrees

@micah said:

@kyrees said:

@micah said:

@kyrees said:

i can attribute that to their wonky physics and how they told the movie but in succeeding instances where an enemy gets blasted to the sun (like broly and baby), darkness wasn't even evident afterwards and these instances are far more powerful than cooler's instance.

a blue star in science is where it grew its mass and temperature beyond the sun's average standards to emit a blue light on our surface and it's not a dying kind of star.

a supernova exploding on the sun would have added more energy and mass to the sun that it gave its blue color

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO. NO. do you not see it?? watch the whole movie LOL.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I did watch the whole movie, after the sun exploded (which is pretty clear to me; see 43:00 to 43:21) it is replaced by the blue ki of Goku's kamehameha. If the sun didn't explode, then what happened?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I did watch the whole movie, after the sun exploded (which is pretty clear to me; see 43:00 to 43:21) it is replaced by the blue ki of Goku's kamehameha. If the sun didn't explode, then what happened?

i didnt see the sun exploding(even though technically the sun is always exploding). i just saw the kamehameha exploding. and then we see the sun again later. makes sense.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@micah said:

@kyrees said:

@micah said:

@kyrees said:

a blue star in science is where it grew its mass and temperature beyond the sun's average standards to emit a blue light on our surface and it's not a dying kind of star.

a supernova exploding on the sun would have added more energy and mass to the sun that it gave its blue color

Hmmm interesting theory. I'm inclined to believe it since it does make sense.......that being said both of us can't say for sure since we never get another good look at the sun/ki ball from in space to fully judge.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless I'm mixing up my films. It was Jesus goku, so I wouldn't be surprised.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, no one reacted to the moon being replaced by a ball of ki, or the fact that the Earth is ruled by a talking dog. DBZ Earth's citizens don't really seem to care about anything. Also, Cooler is weak compared to current DBZ characters, so his durability is hardly something to scale off of, especially since his brother - already half dead and drained of all energy - survived a planetary explosion, the temperature of which would be much higher than what's found in the sun. But like you said, it's non-canon.

P.S Battle of Gods and Return of F are 2 canon DBZ movies.

I recall a fair bit of people reacting when Roshi first destroyed the Moon. People were actually quite upset over it. In fact that wolfman fellow came seeking revenge over it.

It just strikes me as odd that the SUN EXPLODED and no one seems to even notice.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@etheral_dreams said:

i didnt see the sun exploding(even though technically the sun is always exploding). i just saw the kamehameha exploding. and then we see the sun again later. makes sense.

The Sun's not "always exploding"... there's constant nuclear fusion going on, if that's what you mean, and that's quite different from an explosion as we think of them. The Sun went supernova here:

No Caption Provided

Afterwards, the sky faded to black and there was nothing left. After a few seconds, a new blue "star" appears in the sky which could be either A) the remaining ki from the kamehameha, or B) the star becoming blue after gaining an increase in mass and energy from the kamehameha.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: You'd also think they'd find it odd there are various gods, monsters, advanced androids, and superpowered alien martial artists (among other things) always threatening the planet.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@etheral_dreams said:

The Sun's not "always exploding"... there's constant nuclear fusion going on, if that's what you mean, and that's quite different from an explosion as we think of them. The Sun went supernova here:

No Caption Provided

Afterwards, the sky faded to black and there was nothing left. After a few seconds, a new blue "star" appears in the sky which could be either A) the remaining ki from the kamehameha, or B) the star becoming blue after gaining an increase in mass and energy from the kamehameha.

yes thats what i mean, nuclear fusion...explosions..the sun is always exploding. I dont see the sun going supernova. i see the kamehameha exploding like it usually does after its launched at an opponent.

if it had gone supernova it would have destroyed the earth. theres nothing to see here folks. the kamehameha blew up and thats it.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: The Kamehameha isn't even showed in the GIF. Kamehameha is not the giant ball of orange, if that's what you thought. That is the actual sun, and it's clearly seen expanding before giving way to a massive explosion. As for the reason why it didn't destroy Earth, not all supernovae wipe out their respective solar systems. Keep in mind there's tens of millions of miles between planets and their star. If a star is relatively small (the sun is relatively small compared to other stars), the blast radius won't be wide enough to envelop all the planets.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, here, just to quickly shut this thing down

Here is the sun at the end, where people think its a blue sun and all that other trash.

No Caption Provided

And here is a few images of the sun through out the movie before they even fought anyone.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

/End thread

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@slimj87d said:

What does it matter this movie isn't canon and you're not taking account that coolers deathball contributed.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@etheral_dreams:

The general public aren't aware of most of that, though. They are spoon fed misinformation by Hercule and his group.

And they DO freak out whenever they come across one of these things themselves. I recall plenty of people running from Cell and the androids.

But the Z Fighters themselves didn't react. Not even a "Hey, the Sun is gone!" line. Of course DBZ movies tend to be pretty poorly written to begin with.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Etheral_Dreams

@sodamyat: Then how do you explain this:

https://gifyoutube.com/gif/m8QpRJ

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Cooler's Deathball only had the energy to destroy the Earth, which means what energy it would've contributed to the explosion is similar to what you contribute if you add a liter of water to the ocean: basically nothing. And I know it's non-cannon, I'm just curious.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Then how do you explain this:

http://share.gifyoutube.com/m8QpRJ.gif

broken link. but it doesnt matter. I already debunked the whole thing.

The thread is over.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Link should be fixed now. Anyways, you didn't debunk the whole think. The Sun is shown to be destroyed in the video, and yet something (presumably a ball of ki) takes it's place. They can be the same color considering that ki has been shown to emit and reflect light in the same way that celestial bodies do.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@etheral_dreams: Nope. You have no proof. Ive debunked this whole thing. Theres nothing left to talk about.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: You saying you debunked it doesn't mean you did.

Ok, so from 43:02 to 43:08, the Sun expands. From 43:09 to 43:14 the actual explosion can be seen happening. By 43:16 the Sun is gone, and the sky is black. It reappears at 43:26, but it was clearly shown exploding just a few seconds ago, meaning either: A) it wasn't total destruction B) it's actually Goku's ki.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@etheral_dreams: me saying i debunked it after i debunked it means i debunked it.

I showed the picture of the sun before and after the fight. its the same. /end thread.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: That doesn't necessarily mean it's the Sun. The Moon Vegeta created out of his ki looked exactly like the real moon before Piccolo blew it up.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: That doesn't necessarily mean it's the Sun. The Moon Vegeta created out of his ki looked exactly like the real moon before Piccolo blew it up.

Prove that its not. I posted scans showing that it looks exactly the same as it did before gokus encounter with cooler.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1. Wouldn't all life pretty much freeze instantly if the sun went out.
  2. Wouldn't the explosion take out the Earth and surrounding planets?

This is silly.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: And I showed a video of it being destroyed and the sky blacking out.

@jwalser3 said:

1. Wouldn't all life pretty much freeze instantly if the sun went out.
  2. Wouldn't the explosion take out the Earth and surrounding planets?

This is silly.

1. It takes a while for light and heat to reach Earth. Life would seem normal for about 10 minutes before we noticed the effects.

2. Not all supernovae encompass entire solar systems. Some only span a few million miles wide, not enough to take out all the planets, especially since planets orbit elliptically.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gokuss4z

I think the explosion was a result of Goku's kamehameha smashing into the sun after the energy dissipated things went back to normal so no I don't believe the sun exploded.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@etheral_dreams: no you didnt. i showed the sun before and after. you have zero proof for your nonsense claims.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kyrees

@micah said:

Hmmm interesting theory. I'm inclined to believe it since it does make sense.......that being said both of us can't say for sure since we never get another good look at the sun/ki ball from in space to fully judge.

no, we don't but we can always see on their other portrayals of a sun reaching kamehameha and if the other two stronger portrayals show otherwise, we can conclude that the sun was never blown up to begin with. yes, movies are alternate versions and GT is non canon but if their fx team didn't go with the darkness part after such instances, it points a notion that cooler's instance was unique enough to chalk it to the fx team doing their own brand of story telling and wonky physics

another thing to consider is that cooler's instance was the first in the chronological production of the 3 sun reaching kamehamehas. cooler's movie was released in 1991. broly's second return was released in 1994. that GT episode was released in 1997

one final thing: i assumed the argument that the sun became a blue star aka a blue giant that didn't had its full capabilities but in astronomical realism, earth should be light years away from a blue giant because of its massive amounts of radiation that is so lethal to earth that it literally strips our planet apart.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Yes, it does look like he blew it up.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers