Did comics really need to go over the top?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

By the question I mean, did characters need to get insane amounts of powers, did they really need to fight huge level characters that could wipe out galaxies, could comic book stories and characters still be interesting without all those things? I mean I like some of the suped up characters, but looking at them...I don't think that it was really needed for them to gain such  huge amounts of power. 

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By YoungJustice

Yes. Some writers now a days just don't put that much initative into coming up with new equally challenging to there opponent villians and heroes.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By derf_jenkins

Name a character with no weaknesses at all.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfrazer
@derf_jenkins:  Like actual weaknesses, like Kryptonite or just a character who can survive pretty much whatever?
YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By YoggSaron

Yes, powerful characters open doors for stories you wouldn't be able to tell otherwise.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Enosisik

If they didn't have powers then they'd just be like the old mystery ,crime, science fiction ,romance and western comics of the old days.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By Deadcool

That deepends on the character's objective, the Endless Eight are more powerful than the average DC character, but they don't fight crime.

For me a powerful character should not be used as a superhero.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shawnbaby

@Wolfrazer said:

By the question I mean, did characters need to get insane amounts of powers, did they really need to fight huge level characters that could wipe out galaxies, could comic book stories and characters still be interesting without all those things? I mean I like some of the suped up characters, but looking at them...I don't think that it was really needed for them to gain such huge amounts of power.

That's more of a DC thing than a Marvel thing. DC has terrible issues with Power Creep. Superman is a prime example of this. They buff him up over and over again...realize he's too powerful and reboot the whole DC U establishing him at a Lower Level...and then they build him up again. The same thing is going to happen with the New 52 in a few years or so.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By gravitypress

@Wolfrazer: I agree with you. Story has been suffering in order to bring us more extreme characterizations of our heroes. I quit reading comics in the late 90s and started up again a few years ago and the entire landscape has changed. Amped powers, never ending torrents of events, and fewer word bubbles have me concerned.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enosisik

Superman just needs to have another weakness other than kryptonite . I mean every Superman villain in the DCU seems to have an endless supply of the stuff even though it was supossed to be extremely rare and hard to find. It obviously isn't the answer to beating Superman so it's time to find some new weaknesses.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Shawnbaby:  Marvel has a few like that too, Hulk, Wolverine though ya can see it as more of a DC thing. I guess I should also clarify something about my OP, I didn't mean that they shouldn't have super powers what I mean is that they amped up the super powers to extreme levels.
moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By moywar700

A lot of character have their "moments" when they because super-powered and cause great destruction.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By jobiwankenobi

I think this really only matters when you get into characters like the Tribunal, the Celestials, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc. Characters who should never lose unless contending with an equally powerful character, which just brings up the question as to why these characters don't run everything. Also, these things just seem kind of boring. (i.e the Mandraak story in Final Crisis. It wasn't really boring so much as weird and not one that makes you want to read it again.)

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shawnbaby

@Wolfrazer said:

@Shawnbaby: Marvel has a few like that too, Hulk, Wolverine though ya can see it as more of a DC thing. I guess I should also clarify something about my OP, I didn't mean that they shouldn't have super powers what I mean is that they amped up the super powers to extreme levels.

Not really...Wolverine's Power set has stayed mostly the same through his history. His Healing Factor got a buff when he lost the adamantium...but he no longer had unbreakable bones and claws so there was a tradeoff. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in Marvel...but it happens a lot more in DC.