Debate : Can hero be considered as villain ?

olhari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello guys !!! From France here !!! I am new and i need your help guys !!

Indeed, i have to deal with a big exam in the end of the year, i have to pass an oral exam in english. i have to debate on a subject : Myth And Heroes and many others ...

If they pick "Myth and Heroes" I will certainly speak about fictional heroes.... So i am calling you guys to help me... i am not asking you to do my work but to develop it with your ideas

Ok then here is my actual work... for now....

Can hero be considered as villain ?

According to the dictionary definition a hero in mythology and folklore, a person of superhuman qualifies who is admired for his courage or extraordinary achievements. In the modern world, a hero has lost this old meaning. It now means someone who is courageous. Heroes are « heroic », they have «heroims». They help in saving people or society from people, natural disasters, like superman or batman. A hero can also be someone who is helpful, polite or helps people who need it. But he can also be the villain. All is matter is the point of view. !

In classic storylines, the hero and villain are definetly opposed in goals. The role of the villain is to intefere the hero, but the hero wins out in the end.

The lines between the two characters are becoming increasingly blurred in contemporary cinema. They reflect the increasing complexity of life. The hero isn’t absolutely good and the villain isn’t absolutely bad. Religious fanatics are a prime example. In their opinion, they cause untold destruction for the greater good.

In my opinion; a Villain possesses the same qualities as a hero, except their powers are focused on harm rather than protection.For instance If God is the hero, then Satan is the villain. The key difference is that they do not directly protect mankind, but rather issue morality warnings. They force us to think, debate and explore the human condition in a logical way. So does Villains... Having a villain equally strong as your hero is almost mandatory, a hero needs a worthy adversary if humans will ever learn their lessons.

Nobody likes a goody two shoes. People who always follow the rules aren’t remembered nor do they change the world. Who will follow a guy who always keep criticize the system ?

It’s easy to dismiss a villain as a simply being “bad”. However, villains were created to remind us what would happen if humans angered the gods, or didn’t act with trust, honesty and selflessness. There is a villain in all of us, because they represent our dark side, or more importantly, an alternative. Deep down we all want break social norms and secretly root for the villains. Don’t we all need a dose of chaos to observe our lives from a different perspective?

For exemple, in superhero/ action films, heroes and villains are opposed characters, so different from each other in every way, they are almost mirror images of the same person who strive for different aspects of the same purpose. Consider the 2nd movie on Batman, when the Joker unleashed a hellish brand of chaos to counteract the order that Batman wants to preserve. Doesn't he near to blow a fuse ? And Why does he never uses a gun ? (BECAUSE HE IS BATMAN !!!!! ;) ) Because, he knows that he can fall in the limbo of darkness. Joker is here to remind him so.

All i want to say is that villains and heroes aren't that different ... Consider a villain in a romantic comedy trying to prevent two people falling in love by any ways as possible, so that they can find their true loves.

In answer to our question, a hero can also be a villain. Villains are the dark side of the heroes. Both ultimately want the same thing and are antithetical components of the same character.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it ... If anyone can help me ... What do you think about the subject ? If you know another one, share it to us ? Did someone got some exemple ? I mean real ones ....

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By YodaPrime

A Villain is generally much more selfish and willing to sacrifice basic sense of human morality to push their agenda.

A Hero makes a greater attempt to act out of selflessness and will always strive to act in a morally acceptable manner.

A hero can have villainous qualities and act villainous in certain situations and vice versa. What defines if someone is 1 or the other mainly comes down to consistency of their actions.

I think the only way someone can be considered a hero and a villain is if you strive to be heroic to a certain sect of people or animals and reject/harm another sect like Magneto.

You're grammar and sentence structure is a bit off but you said you are from France so it understandable. Tho the topic seems a little juvenile for College and maybe even high school. Might get a decent grade but i'd suspect your peers won't take you seriously. Make sure by "Heroes" they don't mean everyday heroes like parents and police instead of Superheroes.

Otherwise not too bad i suppose.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kgb725

In certain ways heroes can be the bad guys

Cuboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cuboid

This reminds me of the adage "One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter."

Who is the hero and who is the villain often depends on where you stand - Nelson Mandela, for instance, I'd consider a hero and I believe that 'most' people these days do view him as a hero, but for a lot of his life he was a 'villain', considered a terrorist by not only the apartheid South African government, but many governments around the world - he was on a US terrorist watchlist until 2008, and though I believe that was an error / oversight on their part, it speaks to the fact that at one time he was considered a terrorist. Moreover, he never renounced the use of violence as a tactic against (what he saw as) oppression. He was one of the founders of the "Umkhonto we Sizwe", the military wing of the African National Congress and was involved with bombings and actions that many people would consider "terrorist acts", and although he gave up his direct involvement in these sort of militant actions, he never said that they should not be used - he never said that violence should not be an option.

Or, take the Black Panther Party - I would say they were considered 'villains' and I think to the general public, they still are, at least in the US, though I'm Canadian, and I'd say they're considered 'villains' here too. But to the people they helped, such as with their breakfast programs, I imagine they were considered heroes (and I'd consider them heroes - I'm largely supportive of their politics).

Politicians, I have a hard time thinking of any that I don't consider to be 'villains' at least in some regards, yet many people view certain politicians as "heroes".

And YodaPrime above mentioned everyday heroes and included police. I don't consider the police heroes. I consider them thugs used to keep an unjust system in place, who often use unjust violence. I consider them some of the biggest villains in society, and not just the 'bad' ones, but the whole police system. There's a fairly common acronym used in some circles - ACAB - all cops are b*****ds. There are a lot of people killed by the police for no reason, way too many for me to consider them "heroes".

I believe that hardly, hardly anyone (in real life) acts in ways that they themselves consider to be wrong. Hitler's pretty high up there on my list of who I consider to be villains, yet as horrific as I find his actions, he considered them to be moral and just, and a fair number at the time would have considered him a "hero". And when we do act in ways that we consider to be wrong, we either come up with some sort of excuse or some sort of justification as to why that action, though generally wrong, is ok in that specific instance (Take lying, I think most people would say lying is wrong, but most people lie pretty often, and we make up little excuses as to why lying about this, here and now, is all right, even though lying is still wrong in general) - we're all heroes in our own story.

And if you agree with another person's actions, they can be a hero to you too, and if you disagree with them (strongly enough) they may be a villain. So yes, heroes can be villains, it all depends on where you stand.

(Hope that was somewhat helpful and not too word-y, since you are just learning English.)

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aquaman01

@cuboid said:

This reminds me of the adage "One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter."

Who is the hero and who is the villain often depends on where you stand - Nelson Mandela, for instance, I'd consider a hero and I believe that 'most' people these days do view him as a hero, but for a lot of his life he was a 'villain', considered a terrorist by not only the apartheid South African government, but many governments around the world - he was on a US terrorist watchlist until 2008, and though I believe that was an error / oversight on their part, it speaks to the fact that at one time he was considered a terrorist. Moreover, he never renounced the use of violence as a tactic against (what he saw as) oppression. He was one of the founders of the "Umkhonto we Sizwe", the military wing of the African National Congress and was involved with bombings and actions that many people would consider "terrorist acts", and although he gave up his direct involvement in these sort of militant actions, he never said that they should not be used - he never said that violence should not be an option.

Or, take the Black Panther Party - I would say they were considered 'villains' and I think to the general public, they still are, at least in the US, though I'm Canadian, and I'd say they're considered 'villains' here too. But to the people they helped, such as with their breakfast programs, I imagine they were considered heroes (and I'd consider them heroes - I'm largely supportive of their politics).

Politicians, I have a hard time thinking of any that I don't consider to be 'villains' at least in some regards, yet many people view certain politicians as "heroes".

And YodaPrime above mentioned everyday heroes and included police. I don't consider the police heroes. I consider them thugs used to keep an unjust system in place, who often use unjust violence. I consider them some of the biggest villains in society, and not just the 'bad' ones, but the whole police system. There's a fairly common acronym used in some circles - ACAB - all cops are b*****ds. There are a lot of people killed by the police for no reason, way too many for me to consider them "heroes".

I believe that hardly, hardly anyone (in real life) acts in ways that they themselves consider to be wrong. Hitler's pretty high up there on my list of who I consider to be villains, yet as horrific as I find his actions, he considered them to be moral and just, and a fair number at the time would have considered him a "hero". And when we do act in ways that we consider to be wrong, we either come up with some sort of excuse or some sort of justification as to why that action, though generally wrong, is ok in that specific instance (Take lying, I think most people would say lying is wrong, but most people lie pretty often, and we make up little excuses as to why lying about this, here and now, is all right, even though lying is still wrong in general) - we're all heroes in our own story.

And if you agree with another person's actions, they can be a hero to you too, and if you disagree with them (strongly enough) they may be a villain. So yes, heroes can be villains, it all depends on where you stand.

(Hope that was somewhat helpful and not too word-y, since you are just learning English.)

^ This is going to be the best post in this whole thread.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Yes. Easily. Ironman during the civil war Arc felt like a Villain worthy of Doctor Doom level.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The drugs the OP is taking are some otherworldly s**t.............
I think it's in the water because I'm pretty sure I understood some of it.

Myth Hercules it the first person to pop in my head. Is he a hero or a villain? He killed his family (mind control basically) and was tasked with 12 labors. He killed many monsters and helped people. One of the labors however, was to retrieve an item from the Amazons and he slaughtered them all and took it. Is he a good guy or a bad guy.

It all comes down to view point just like everything else in the world.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

in a way