• 64 results
#1 Posted by Voorhees100 (267 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by Voorhees100 (267 posts) - - Show Bio

As we all know, DC Comics relaunched their universe a year and a half ago, creating 52 brand new titles(and cancelling some later to be replaced by second and third ways) This was a way to bring in new readers as well as come up with fresh story ideas, and revamp/update some of their characters. Marvel, did something similar last year with Marvel NOW. Although not as drastic as a full company reboot, they relaunched many ongoing titles. However, instead of pumping out several titles a week, as DC did, they spread their release dates out over months (we're still waiting for some to debut even now!) So my question is this, after seeing three ways of DC titles and a good chunk of the Marvel NOW titles, which are you enjoying more?  

Which company made the better changes to their characters and their stories?  

Which move, the relaunch, or the reboot was better business wise,  

And which titles do you enjoy most from each?  

Which are your least favorites?  

vs
#3 Edited by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@Voorhees100: It's a tad too soon for this but I'll play along:

Which company made the better changes to their characters and their stories? - I have to say based on how they started out, Marvel Now does better in this regard. It gives us fresh new directions on its characters whilst keeping the core of their characters and history intact. Although the New 52 has settled down now, it was a rocky start and Marvel Now has done a better job in the early stages.

Which move, the relaunch, or the reboot was better business wise - Without a doubt the New 52. More advertising, merchandising and hyping up was done for the New 52 and it paid off in terms of increased comic sales and DC skyrocketing ahead saleswise. The fact an issue of Aquaman outsold every Marvel comic one month is enough proof that DC beat Marvel in this category.

And which titles do you enjoy most from each? - From the New 52: Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. From Marvel Now: Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Avengers and New Avengers. I have yet to read Superior Spider-Man 1 but I hope I'll enjoy it

Which are your least favorites? - From Marvel Now, the Thunderbolts and Avengers Arena are written atrociously. From the New 52, Teen Titans and World's Finest are the currently worst titles but OMAC, Mr Terrific and Static Shock are titles I'm very glad were cancelled.

#4 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Its already been a year and a half? Phew.

• Haven't read enough to say which made better choices between their characters and stories.
  • Given DC's sales, it proved to give them a big boost - although it seemed to alienate some fans and ever since Marvel Now it seems that it isn't giving them any particular edge in sales anymore.
  • I'm getting back into reading, but Thor: God of Thunder has been great thus far.
  • Give me a couple of weeks to come up with an answer.
#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say... I might be in the minority here, but...

Marvel NOW's been far more impressive. There. I said it.

#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52 has been a double edged sword revamping some characters to be better while simultaneously destroying others. Marvel Now has thus far taken Marvel who has been releasing pure sh!t since Civil War and started a new line of comics that are much better than I could have anticipated. While I still think it is a bit to soon to judge Marvel Now has so far been better.

#7 Posted by God_Spawn (38137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I agree.

#8 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to say the New 52 because it got me into comics. Without it I wouldn't be typing this message right now.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

In The New 52's defense, it has settled down now from its rocky start and has kept sales up for longer. Iron Man and Thor: God of Thunder have already dropped below the 100,00 mark the first issues achieved.

#10 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that I still like both companies about the same as I did before. I still follow the same books and characters and neither relaunch or reboot has affected that for me.

#11 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingjoeg said:

Have to say the New 52 because it got me into comics. Without it I wouldn't be typing this message right now.

this for me also <3

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

In The New 52's defense, it has settled down now from its rocky start and has kept sales up for longer. Iron Man and Thor: God of Thunder have already dropped below the 100,00 mark the first issues achieved.

Financially, sure, DC has Marvel beat.

I was talking overall quality. Ignoring the terrible writers, Marvel does have a few big winners. Thor: God of Thunder is one of, if not the best, title out right now, IMO.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I was talking overall quality. Ignoring the terrible writers, Marvel does have a few big winners. Thor: God of Thunder is one of, if not the best, title out right now, IMO.

Yes there is that I grant you. Also damn yet another compliment for Thor: God of Thunder. Why am I missing out on this?

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yes there is that I grant you. Also damn yet another compliment for Thor: God of Thunder. Why am I missing out on this?

Because you're crazy and I am the voice of reason. Get it. Now.

#15 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

But I've filled up my pull list already! Waagh! Should I cancel Superior Spider-Man so I can make room for it?

#16 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15065 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted DC because they turned Aquaman into a cool character and Snyder's is amazing, but I have to give Marvel points for getting me intrested in Thor and Waid is killing it with Daredevil and so is Bendis with End of Days.

#17 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1536 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel now as a whole has been far better than 52. and They have done a very good job on damn near everything tht's being put out (minus a couple questionable issues)

#18 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel NOW! has been executed poorly so far. The main reason it was done was to draw in new readers yet I can only think of one relaunched comic I have read that did this well. All the others relied too much on prior events for their story lines. New 52 on the other hand rebooted the entire universe which meant they couldn't rely on old stories, thus it worked better.

#19 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22317 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

@kingjoeg said:

this for me also <3

Me to for monthly comics. I read batman reborn, kingdom come, marvel vs DC, and the first 2 years of ultimate spiderman from the library. But I started with superman, then I bought action comics, static shock, smallville season 11, earth 2, justice league, and for marvel now I'm reading captain America. I also have the first trade of ultimate spiderman.

ShouldI pick up all new X-men or superior spiderman?

#20 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman: Superior Spider-man and All new x-men are both great books, especially superior. But it isn't worth getting that if you havn't read ASM 700 or have at least heard what happened, because the whole plot hinges on it. All New x-men is great but I don't want to buy too many twice shipping books.

#21 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22317 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingjoeg: i watch the video on comic vine so I know about the whole body switch

#22 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024 said:

But I've filled up my pull list already! Waagh! Should I cancel Superior Spider-Man so I can make room for it?

No.. Maybe. Wait a few issues.

#23 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52, I like how DC is rebooted a lot of stuff yet kept it true to overall origins of the characters.

#24 Posted by The Stegman (25165 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 for me. Just more interesting. 

#25 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Cancer or Ebola?  

Both are awful, insulting, crimes against humanity. But Marvel Now! is worse. It's killing established characters. DC just destroyed their old, good universe, to replace it with crap. 

#26 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: That's my plan. See if Slott can impress me and if not then I'll switch it for something else.

@FadeToBlackBolt: No offense Fade but you really are starting to sound like a broken record now with posts like these.

#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger: So? I'm right. 
#28 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: As I was telling someone who majorly hates Damian Wayne, no one can ever be right about anything. Including you I'm afraid. Everything's subjective including your views on the New 52.

#29 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

I voted DC because they turned Aquaman into a cool character and Snyder's is amazing, but I have to give Marvel points for getting me intrested in Thor and Waid is killing it with Daredevil and so is Bendis with End of Days.

Do you mean "killing it" as in making the title worse or better?

#30 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15065 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: Better.

#31 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: You're quite a calm and balanced guy.

#32 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think Marvel Now! is shipping twice as many quality titles.

#33 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd: I try to be when making judgements of such a nature. Everyone has preferences but good reasoning is something I feel is needed to complement that.
#34 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaron's Thor and Hickman's Avengers have been just too good so far.

#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Now wins.

#36 Posted by The Stegman (25165 posts) - - Show Bio
@isaac_clarke said:

Aaron's Thor and Hickman's Avengers have been just too good so far.

Ugh, Hickman's Avengers bores me, Illuminati..I mean, New Avengers is much better imo.
#37 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Ugh, Hickman's Avengers bores me, Illuminati..I mean, New Avengers is much better imo.

I'm a fan of cosmic events and here the Avengers seem smack dab middle of one with the inclusion of a broken Captain Universe in the mix.

Though there are a few things throwing me off:

• When the hell did Hyperion become strong enough to hold to planets from plummeting into one another or go hand to hand with the Hulk?
  • Why is the Hulk being written as Savage Hulk? (could be a character related development that I missed out on)
  • Why are the older Avengers being so troll / dicky? (I'm thinking Hickman might being going Aristophanes here and having the old vs new conflict)

I'm just glad Bendis is off somewhere else for a change to boot.

I haven't gotten around to checking on New Avengers yet. I'll look into it though, the comic shops where I'm currently at kinda are the suck.

#38 Posted by scouts1998 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

new 52 all the way

cheaper

more accessible

and because it was a full reboot

also sales wise batman has been in top 4 every month since the relaunch and justice league has only left the top 5 once (when marvel now really kicked in)

top 3 books for each (what i read)

dc

1. batman
  2. animal man
  3. aquaman

marvel

1. hawkeye (even though it started before now!)
  2. FF
  3. red she-hulk
#39 Posted by Polemicalhero (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Fans boys Give DC a break. Their about to make history and there is nothing Marvel can do about it. Suck on that.

#40 Posted by comicace3 (6114 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I'd still choose some titles from DC over Marvel

#41 Posted by The Stegman (25165 posts) - - Show Bio

Still New 52

#42 Posted by Xwraith (19583 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by MysticalRat (19 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the off the wall comics out of the superhero genre that are produced through the new 52 like Demon Knights or Dial H. Don't get me wrong, I like Batman as much as the next guy, but it keeps things refreshing. Too much superhero stuff can wear down the material a bit.

#44 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5545 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Now ftw! New 52 brought me back to DC but too many misfires and missteps by editorial.

#45 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about even for me but Marvel is edging it out due to more consistant creative teams. Superman's had three different team, all of which couldn't capture the essence of Superman. Action Comics had a good run with Morrison but he decides to up and leave the title. But I guess that's just the titles that I enjoy more.

Both the New 52 and Marvel Now! have won me over to characters I have long since stopped caring about and made them interesting to me again, so it's a win-win situation for me!

Moderator Online
#46 Edited by Gambit474 (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked new 52 but I got upset with DC for canceling some of their titles. I enjoyed Grifter and started to wonder why I wasn't getting anymore of his issues in my pull list so when I heard DC canceled it I was sad. I got upset because I heard that DC's canceling some other titles yet they're making like 5-6 batman titles,superman,and whatever else. I was hoping to learn about DC characters I never knew about with new 52..not to watch DC introduce them and then cancel them. Ugh

#47 Posted by Wolverine08 (44065 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel NOW. Marvel is producing high quality books with consistent creative teams. The New 52 is becoming an editorial mess with constantly changing creative teams and cancelled books.

#48 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

well for me personally i like marvel now better. the new 52 got rid of wally west my fav flash and tim drake my fav robin was never robin so im a little butt hurt. also the 5 year thing is sooooo confusing. but gl new guardians is very very good imo. marvel now on the other hand brought xmen back into great stories since cyclops is a great main villain all of the spiderman titles are great even superior if you dont like it you didnt give it a fair shot. and im really loving dare devil. uncanny avengers was a let down tho. it seems now gave writers more freedom and n52 gave them less

#49 Posted by The_Tree (7768 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Now is better. Sure, it created some changes, but those changes are nothing compared to the New 52.

With the New 52 we have a ridiculous amount of editorial interference resulting in a continual exodus of great writers, destruction of continuity, and erasure of various beloved characters. The worst part: most great stories from the New 52 could have been told in the previous continuity.

#50 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the New 52 better.

I like: Batman, Flash, WW, JL, Batgirl, JLA, Justice League Dark, Superman Unchained, Batman/Superman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, Batman &Robin

As for Marvel Now: All New X-Men, Sup Spiderman, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men/Avengers, Nova, Savage Wolverine, Indestructible Hulk, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy