• 78 results
Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52's BIGGEST MISTAKE!!!

THEY DIDN'T INCLUDE THE WONDER TWINS!!!!!! lol Its tragic I know, the New 52 would have been a perfect time to reintroduce The Wonder Twins. For those of you who don't know the Wonder Twins were brother and sister Zan and Jayna. Well, I can't forget to mention their alien monkey Gleek. Their journey began on the 70's show The Super Friends.

They were alien-shapeshifters, from the planet Exxor. Special even among their own people, Zan had the power to shift into forms of water, while Jayna had the ability to transform into various animals. After being abused for their powers they came to Earth to be heroes. They became the youths that the children could relate too.

After the beginning debut they appeared sporadically in various comic issues and tv shows. Comics such as Young Justice and television such as Justice League Unlimited and Smallville. So I think the New 52 would be a perfect time to re-intergrate them back into the DC world. They could once again give children someone to related too again and bring in new and old readers. They could even be brought in after the Rot World event, happening in the Animal Man and Swamp Thing comics, because it is likely Jayna's abilities are related to the Red.

You may not agree, or you may. Comment below on your thoughts of who you want to be brought back into the mainstream universe in DC, Marvel or Independant Comics.

One last thing, "WONDER TWINS POWERS ACTIVATE!!!!! In the form of ___________ &, shape of ______________!!!!" Gleek and the magical bucket.

I just had to say it :D

#1 Posted by danhimself (22313 posts) - - Show Bio

they tried to bring the Wonder Twins into the comics before and they ended up disappearing into limbo because no one could possibly use them in a serious tone

#2 Posted by The Stegman (23235 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be cool and ironically funny if they made the Wonder Twins into celestial omnipotent beings.

#3 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

If they gave them a new costume and remade their entire origin, I suppose they could have a more serious and non-goofy tone to it, more suitable to the masses.

"Be water my friend"

#4 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Exactly, I wouldn't want them to be how they were in the past. Im thinking more along the lines of how Justice League Unlimited portrayed them. They were more serious and their powers were a lot cooler. But I would still like to have a lil' bit of the ole time fun and humor. If Geoff Johns can revive Vibe, he could bring them back also. There is hope for everybody, if you dont believe me ask Saint Walker, ha.

#5 Posted by straightedgejoe (28 posts) - - Show Bio

they could bring them back in Earth 2, Do It James Robinson!

#6 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@straightedgejoe: Thats my answer for the characters DC refuses to bring to mainstream.... COME ON MR. MAJESTIC!!!!!! (and many others!!!!)

#7 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked them in Smallville, I could see it

#8 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3700 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with ya. Because I can't up it: Wonder Powers ACTIVATE!

#9 Posted by TheCannon (17984 posts) - - Show Bio

I think not having Stephanie Brown is more of a mistake.

#10 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

There's no Oracle. So...

But there's nothing stopping Babs from getting shot again.

Here's hoping.

#11 Posted by jonEsherfey (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say with no disrespect intended I think the Wonder Twins are pretty stupid. I am fine if people like them I just think "Form of Water" is an awful power and I think it would be hilarious if they made them be really dark and serious because how dark can they be.

#12 Posted by timelord786 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

cool idea

#13 Edited by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonEsherfey: When I said "DC's Biggest Mistake!!!!" it was kind of a joke as a title, to bring attention... But the article I really meant, I think they should bring the Wonder Twins back... In Justice League Unlimited I think they did a good job making them a lil darker. But I would like a mix of teenage fun with their powers being darker like these pictures. Zan (Downpour) could transform into water and control water around him with hydro-kinesis , Jayna (Shifter) could shift into animals like Beastboy and even transform into extinct/fictional animals like a sea-serpent or dinosaur.

#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down with it as long as they don't use the monkey.

#15 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme: Yeah I do miss Oracle, I hope she doesnt get shot again.... But we still dont know the effects of her gaining her mobility, she could easlily lose it... It could be a interesting dynamic, not knowing when she could lose her legs in a battle, and her having to use her Oracle identity again

#16 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally some one says it.

#17 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

A talented writer can make any character believable, so I do not have a problem with bringing the Wonder Twins back per say. That's not to say that I am looking for their return.

#18 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

No, DCs biggest mistake is over use of Superman and clones. Almost every hero and villain dresses up like him. Just look at the Wonder Twins emblem.

#19 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion: Thats a "Z" In a triangle, not an "S" in a shield..... and who doesn't use clones, Marvel ( Thor, Scarlet Spider, Spiderman, Jean Grey, Apocalypse, X-23, and many more)..... and Superman has four superman related comics right now, 1, 2, 3, 4!!!!! How is that over use.... which speaking modern hero comics would not exist without Superman, so I think DC is entitled to "Overuse" Superman

#20 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest said:

@TheSecondOpinion: Thats a "Z" In a triangle, not an "S" in a shield..... and who doesn't use clones, Marvel ( Thor, Scarlet Spider, Spiderman, Jean Grey, Apocalypse, X-23, and many more)..... and Superman has four superman related comics right now, 1, 2, 3, 4!!!!! How is that over use.... which speaking modern hero comics would not exist without Superman, so I think DC is entitled to "Overuse" Superman

That's not what I meant. I should know because I used to read DC for nearly 30 years, and everything is just the same o' sh1t all over again. Marvel is doing it too now that they've been having DC writers highjack their story division for nearly over 12 years already.

#21 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

History repeats, of course everything is going to happen again!! There is only so many things a writer can come up with to please unhappy readers, in fact that is the whole reason the New 52 was created to bring in fresh material and new readers.... and Writers are not bound to one publisher, thats retarded to think that they should stay in one place and not grow.... Comic publishers use each others stuff all the time, X-Men was created from Doom Patrol, there are whole arch-types copied after batman and superman.... Writers and arch-types, should not just stay with one publisher, we would all lose out as comic book readers

#22 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I can understand about the company wanting to attract new readers, but old reader already came and went. Give it about another 10 more years and I'm probably never going to pick up a comic again. They'll all be in the hands of my kids. lol

#23 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Im glad your passing the torch down to your kids.... I collect the trades, so I prob still be collecting by then and pass em along too....... I think thats where comics should find a happy medium, a place were both kids and adults can enjoy the same book

#24 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion: I'dsay Batman is more over used than Superman.

#25 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106: I have to agree, I know DC got there name from Detective Comics, but this is getting ridiculous!!! 12 or so comics devoted to the Batman brand is getting out of hand.... While I do enjoy many of these titles some of them need to go, like after Grant Morrison leaves, Batman Inc. at least that will be one down.... But we will see how it goes

#26 Posted by OmegaHans (205 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree.

...no seriously, I really do agree. Plus their powers are more formidable than people actually realize, when put to 100% potentiality. Given a writer has to really think about the character's power at that point.

#27 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaHans: Exactly, I think that given the right writer, these characters could flourish. Look at Aquaman, other people (not myself) always counted him as a joke, and while it is funny, he is now one of the biggest hits of the New 52. Like you said the writer must think about their powers. It wouldn't just be about picking up a truck with super strength or flying around the world, but their forms they would choose give the right situation, plus the right artist could have a lot of fun with the two of them, with awesome paneling.

#28 Edited by cbishop (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

As a fan of 35+ years, I have always wanted to see Zan & Jayna used seriously in the comics. Although shortlived, they finally managed to use Marvin & Wendy in the 2003 Teen Titans series, so why not the Wonder Twins? I do have to say though, that I don't think they can be used well without a serious amount of outright change, because there's just something that doesn't make sense about them.

I hate to say that about any character, because I'm a big fan of working with what's there, and either working to make sense of it, or find some way to plausibly get away from it. Outright change, just because it doesn't work today, saddens me a little, and I think it's a cheat to the characters. If you totally rewrite/ redesign a character, it may as well be a new character, rather than saying it's a new version of an established character (which ought to tell you my thoughts on the New 52 overall, but let's not go there, this thread). But as much as I love them, the Wonder Twins are seriously unexplained:

The rings: why do they need to touch rings to activate their powers? How do the rings work? Why do they work in two different ways? Are there other rings out there, that produce a myriad of other results? Honestly, the best answer here seems to be "magic," which I feel is a bit of a writing copout, but if it were magic, then a link could be drawn to a currently unrelated concept: the H-dials from Dial H For Hero.

The rings have been shown to somehow be the source of their powers. If one of them loses the ring, they cannot transform... or can they? I remember one episode of the Super Friends, where they were able to touch the ends of their fingers to Gleek's nose, and effect the change. So was it because they were wearing the rings, or because the power is actually inside them, but somehow effected by physical touch? And if it's inside them, then why do they pretend like they need those silly rings?

Now clearly, I'm overthinking things here - it worked that way, because someone thought it would be funny for Gleek to shove his nose between their fingers, so they could transform. But these are the minutiae we worry about as fans, so I would want an explanation.

Why are they called the Wonder Twins? I get it - their powers are wondrous, so they're the Wonder Twins, but when they were on a team with Wonder Woman, the logical part of my brain always wanted to hear an explanation that connected them with her. A sensible explanation would be if their ship crash landed on the island of the Amazons, or if it's Diana that first introduces them to the world. More likely, that they work with Diana for awhile, so that the world has a reason to think of them as the Wonder Twins. An issue of the Super Friends comic eventually revealed that Jayna was accepted as a student at the all-women college on Paradise Island. There's half a connection, anyway.

Other: I like the idea of Jayna's powers somehow being related to the Red, but it makes Zan's powers completely random, with little chance of plausible explanation... no, spoke too soon. Perhaps he's somehow connected to the Green. Green needs water to live, right? It's shaky, but with work, could be somewhat believable, and it at least connects somehow. Maybe Zan & Jayna were meant to be a cooperative experiment between The Red & The Green, the same way Hawk & Dove were once explained as a cooperative experiment between Order & Chaos. It's a little weak (as was the Hawk & Dove idea), but it would be a cool reason for them to meet Hawk & Dove (another personal favorite duo). :)

What about action figures? There's the fan in me that wants the rings to be an integral part of them, because if action figures were released, I want a ring to come with the figures, the same way rings came with The Flash, the Legion characters, Sinestro, Power Ring, and any Green Lanterns. Or maybe the rings come with the purchase of a certain comic, the way the rainbow of Lantern Corps rings did? The only downside is that (I think) there was nothing special about the appearance of the Wonder Twins' rings. That could always change, for marketing purposes, but again, would seem like a cheat. Still, that's what the fan collector in me wants. :)

#29 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Well DC now refers to the Red and the Green as Elements and Swamp thing and Animal Man as Elementals... So Them having a power connecting to elementals wouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe the Wonder Twins can be the branch between the old elementals Fire, Water, Air like how Firestorm, Naiad and the Red and the Green (Red Tornado were elementals, and bring back those concepts; not exactly with those characters, just the concepts)

#30 Posted by cbishop (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest said:

@cbishop: Well DC now refers to the Red and the Green as Elements and Swamp thing and Animal Man as Elementals... So Them having a power connecting to elementals wouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe the Wonder Twins can be the branch between the old elementals Fire, Water, Air like how Firestorm, Naiad and the Red and the Green (Red Tornado were elementals, and bring back those concepts; not exactly with those characters, just the concepts)

On the one hand, there's plenty of pre-New-52 concepts I'd like to see brought back. In fact, I'd really like to see a Heroes Return type story that brings back the pre-Flashpoint DCU altogether (as I don't care for the New 52, outside of Wonder Woman).

On the other hand, the New 52 is what we've got, and although I strongly dislike it, I try to get onboard with a reboot. The facts are: as a fan, I don't have a lot of choice, if I want to keep reading DC's comics. As a person interested in somehow getting into the field, I have to be willing to play by the current rules. And the current rules are The Red, The Green, and The Rot. <shrugs> I don't really get it, to be honest, but that's what we have to work with, right now.

As far as the Wonder Twins, agents of Red and Green is a way to go. Whatever the case though, I'd like to see them, as teen heroes, interact with the Teen Titans, or... or... or... heyyyyy, what if those previously nondescript rings were something else entirely? What if they were Legion flight rings, and the Twins are time lost? It doesn't add a lot to their characters, but it's a possibility.

#31 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: I like the Idea of them being apart of the Legion of Superheroes. That would be cool. Would give more since to their rings

#32 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme said:

@TheCannon said:

There's no Oracle. So...

But there's nothing stopping Babs from getting shot again.

Here's hoping.

It's odd, but I find myself wishing Barbara was still paralyzed as well.

It's like, "oh, sorry, the one major-league character that had a massive tragedy that stood the test of time... Just got healed by magic pixies."

I hope they do something to do her, maybe kill her even. But she doesn't belong in the New 52 somehow. It feels off.

As to the wonder twins, they've always been funny and humorous, if they brought them back I'd like them to keep a nice childish tone like the Teen Titans anime did; something for everyone. Deep plots for the more mature, childish animation and humor for both the mature and immature alike.

#33 Posted by comickraze (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree to have them in their own comic. That brings back memories for me because I watched them when I was very young in the 70's.

#34 Posted by Chael_P_Sonnen (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

they tried to bring the Wonder Twins into the comics before and they ended up disappearing into limbo because no one could possibly use them in a serious tone

lol thats what I thought

#35 Posted by cbishop (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest said:

@cbishop: I like the Idea of them being apart of the Legion of Superheroes. That would be cool. Would give more since to their rings

Yeah, I don't think the rings make much since, outside of some mystical explanation, so just changing them to be something else is my best effort. The Wonder Twins are characters I don't think can be used well, without some outright change, but that's because I like super powers with a little more explanation. However, there's a certain amount of charm to the stories that say a character's powers work that way just because they do. :)

#36 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest:

I've agreed with alot of the point you have brought up. I think they have alot of potential as characters. I personally love the version portrayed in Justice League Unlimited. Their costumes were awesome and they made lot of sense. If they did bring them back, I think it'd be great to see them in a team setting with the rest of the Ultimen. The twins might not be strong enough by themselves.

• Wind Dragon formerly known as Samurai
  • Juice formerly known as Black Vulcan
  • Long Shadow formerly known as Apache Chief
  • Downpour and Shifter formerly known as Zan and Jayna (The Wonder Twins)
  • Of course the core story needs a little tweaking though. They wouldn't be clones and they wouldn't be so greedy and selfish as the characters in the Justice League Unlimited. Also, I'd make all their powers revolve around magic to distinguish them from other characters in the DCU that have similar power sets. For example this would help distinguish Shifter from Beast Boy and distinguish Juice from Static Shock and Black Lightning. I've been reading Batwoman comics and the whole magic/occult angle seems to be working for her so....

@TitanTempest said:

@OmegaHans: Exactly, I think that given the right writer, these characters could flourish. Look at Aquaman, other people (not myself) always counted him as a joke, and while it is funny, he is now one of the biggest hits of the New 52. Like you said the writer must think about their powers. It wouldn't just be about picking up a truck with super strength or flying around the world, but their forms they would choose give the right situation, plus the right artist could have a lot of fun with the two of them, with awesome paneling.

Every character has the potential to be awesome if written the right way. Look at Thor and Iron Man and Avengers comics. To me, back in the 90's they used to be second rate when compared to the X-Men. Now their powerballers.

#37 Posted by kasino (1598 posts) - - Show Bio

wonder twins vs terror twins

#38 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Not keeping Ed Brubaker, Gregg Rucka and Mark Waid.

Getting James Robinson, Rob Liefeld and Marc Guggenheim.

#39 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest: No, there biggest mistake is giving grifter of all wildstorm characters a solo. Mr. Majestic in Dc would have been epic.

#40 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: WHAT NO!!!!! Dont Kill her!! But i do think she will be Oracle again. I think they hinted that some form of technology help her get better, and think sooner or later it will fail. They just want new readers to still understand that she was Batgirl. I do love her better as Oracle.

@comickraze: Yeah, I thought they were silly, but still awesome. Now that Im older they just need a power upgrade

@cbishop: Yeah, I dont have the answers, but I think some way, some how they have potential to be Good, through their emotional connection of their family or something

@xybernauts: This is more along the lines of what Im thinking. Ultimen sounds awesome for a comic name. I absolutely loved that episode, it was prob one of my favorite episodes. Except like you said they were made a lil pigheaded, and we never found out what became of them. I thought about making another blog just about the Ultimen, I agree with everything you have said. If you want to hit me up and we make it together, and get it all thought out, then that would be cool. I didn't start it cuz like you said there is already characters like Static, Beast Boy, and Red Tornado. But I hear Red Tornado is going to be on Earth 2.

@kasino: It would be awesome for them to be on Young Justice :D :D :D :D :D

@Supreme Marvel: Hey now I like James Robinson. But I agree with Rob Liefeld, dude should have been gone a long time ago. But Now he is gone forever so YAY! ha

@icysloth: I like Grifter, but I agree Mr. Majestic better show up somewhere one day. Or I will have to hurt somebody lol. I hoped he would be on Earth 2, but in "Team 7" they hinted with there being a Majestic Project. So we will just have to see

#41 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest: The problem is I don't think majestic could be put into the DCnU. HE is to brazen and his methods and beliefs contradict the norms of superheroes in the DCU. We saw this in the Wildstorm crossover. Even more so than that if they gave him a solo and put a good writer on it he would upstage superman. The only way they could do a majestic tile would be to put him in space and let him be a badass around the universe.

#42 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@icysloth: I think what they might do, considering the project is mentioned in Team 7, that he will be the government's "Superman", I dont think they will give him his own title right now. He will prob be a member of some team. The government often goes against heroes without the full details, so if they controlled him it could make a interesting dynamic of how he is portrayed. He may want one thing, but his body forces him to do another, or maybe he likes being the governments lapdog. I dont know, Im just glad, there maybe a chance of seeing him, in some way or form.

#43 Posted by The Poet (8303 posts) - - Show Bio

BAHAHAHAAHAHA!

sorry...with that title I was not expecting this subject...

#44 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: Yeah I was trying to be a lil funny and bring in shocker value lol... I guess it worked

#45 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitanTempest: They'd also have to add alternative version of El Dorado and Rima to the team as well.

@icysloth said:

@TitanTempest: No, there biggest mistake is giving grifter of all wildstorm characters a solo. Mr. Majestic in Dc would have been epic.

I agree. They made this mistake with Voodoo as well. I haven't read the book, but I assume her character wasn't strong enough to sustain a book on her own, that's why her book got canceled. Instead they should have brought back the entire WildC.A.T.S. team and placed Grifter and Voodoo in it.

#46 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@xybernauts: I wouldnt mind them adding those two, El Dorado would be cool (without the name lol), Rima could keep her name, but give her a different twist

Her first few issues were good, it was the change that killed her. But I think a lot of these titles, are planned to eventually lead into other titles anyway. Just giving them a basis for comics like WIld C.A.T.S. And break the Universe in easy.

#47 Posted by name_already_chosen (175 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the several efforts to handle the Wonder Twins seriously have worked overall.

Can anyone imagine a way to handle their monkey seriously -- other than surrealism or absurdism as with Detective Chimp, I mean? I'm honestly curious.

#48 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@name_already_chosen said:

I think the several efforts to handle the Wonder Twins seriously have worked overall.

Can anyone imagine a way to handle their monkey seriously -- other than surrealism or absurdism as with Detective Chimp, I mean? I'm honestly curious.

Haha, Well I thought the monkey on the Jayna's phone, was a nice touch in Smallville.... But no I dont think a blue monkey in tights could be taken seriously, unless they redid him completely lol

#49 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the Wonder Twins HAD been brought back... By Marvel... Let's see...

1: Male and Female twins with a strong resemblance

2: Super Powers

3: When they touch a power is activated.

Yep.... Marvel brought them back.

#50 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

I thought the Wonder Twins HAD been brought back... By Marvel... Let's see...

1: Male and Female twins with a strong resemblance

2: Super Powers

3: When they touch a power is activated.

Yep.... Marvel brought them back.

haha Who are they?