• 51 results
#1 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone on this comic book forum knows about the ongoing decade rivalry between DC and Marvel except those that relaly don't know anything about comics except from the movies, and video games, and some tv shows that sdon't even know DC and Marvel exist and are all in just one universe. Well while I was reading Civil War and then went to look at some reviews of it on Amazon, one poster mentioned that Civil War, could be considered a rip-off of Kingdom Come given the fact the stories are almost exactly identical, and this made me realize how DC and Marvel copy each other and how their characters are smiliar, Examples:

Deadpool, Deathstroke

Namor, Aquaman

Doctor Strange, Dr. Fate

Darkseid, Apocalypse/Kang the Conqueror

The Atom (Ray Palmer) and Hank Pym

#2 Edited by PowerHerc (83579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil:
This isn't even the tip of the iceberg for how these two companies (not to mention the others who do it, too) continually, seemingly automatically, rip each other off.
#3 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

So are you saying ur agreeing with me or not?
#4 Posted by PowerHerc (83579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil:
I agree more than you know.
#5 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

And what does that mean?
#6 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

The similarities go back a long way.
Some people say that the Fantasic Four are a rip off of the Challengers of the Unknown, since they were both created by Jack Kirby. They were actually a response to the Justice League.
Some  say that the Doom Patrol is a rip off of the X-Men.
Most people believe that the Legion of Super-Heroes are a rip off of the X-men.  The Legion came first, the X-men just got the fame.
Gen 13 is also based on the X-men.
Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) was modeled after Spider-Man, both were created by Steve Ditko.
Since Captain Marvel looked so much like Superman, DC decided to sue Fawcett Publications, which lead to a fight between Captain Marvel and Superman in the comics which lasted until fawcett shutdown after the suit, which led to DC buying the rights.
I would say that Darkseid is more like Thanos than Apacolypse.
Some believe that Moon Knight is a rip off of Batman.
The Sentry was obviously based on Superman.
Some say that Goku is a rip off of Superman, their origins are similar, and their powers are somewhat similar, but Goku had to train constantly, where as Superman can just go sunbathing. That and Dragon Ball is actually based on Journey to The West, a chinese myth.
That's about all I can think of for now.

#7 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku, ripoff of Superman? Similar backstory but Goku's form Anime plus moth of th eheroes in comics have similar backstories.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman/ Gladiator, Hyperion, Blue Marvel

Darkseid/ Thanos
Green Arrow/ Hawkeye
Ironman/ Steel
Atom/ Ant man
Namor/ Aquaman
Original Xmen/ Original Doom Patrol
red skull/ Black mask (purely aesthetic)
Captain America/ Guardian
Bane/ Crossbones (again purely aesthetic, cause seriously they look almost exactly the same)
  Catwoman/Black Cat
Dick Grayson/ Bucky Barnes

#9 Posted by Captain13 (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

Say hello to DC's Maximums!

Don't they remind you of the Ultimates?

Or what about Marvel's Squadron Supreme?

They're based on the JLA.
#10 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

You've literally only scratched the surface, but its not surprising, comics is a relatively small industry were talent, at least in the past, would work for both companies. Also there are really only a few really awesome super powers and they have all been done so you can see similarities in just about everything. Of course if one thing is successful for one of them the other is going to try it as well. Sometimes it works (Deathstroke/Deadpool) and sometimes it doesn't (Namor/Aquaman).

I mean its not just the comic industry, Ford introduces the mass production line to make automobiles quicker and cheaper, so every other company had to catch up or get left behind. What would the world look like if Ford was the only car company using that method? Probably be the a whole lot more Fords on the road.

Also I think both companies actually work together a lot more then the average fan realizes, probably bouncing ideas off one another constantly.

#11 Posted by The Stegman (24374 posts) - - Show Bio

well most of what you listed are just coincidental, the only one that can be dubbed "ripoff" is Deadpool/Deathstroke, and even there its not really a rip off, marvel did it on purpose, that's why they gave them similar names, wade wilson/slade wilson

as for the similarities, there are TONS of them

Captain America/Batman

Moon kinght/Batman
sentry/Gladiator/Hyperion/ superman

Aquaman/Namor

fantastic four/Challengers of the unknown

Avengers/JLA

young avengers/young justice

the list goes on and on
#12 Posted by ColonelTBadass (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool is a rip off of deathstroke who is a rip off or deathlok.

Crossbones= Bane

Doom Patrol= X-men

Avengers= Maximums

The extremists= Marvel villains

Spiderman= Black spider, blue beetle

Namor= Aquaman

Sentry= Superman

#13 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Forgot I made this topic

#14 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc comics made blackest night after marvel made marvel zombies,I wonder why?

#15 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

It's evolution and adaptation. Organisms influence each other by merely co-existing. Marvel and DC have the same habit and prey, obviously they will compete - competition is what drives us forward, and just like in the natural world, if your rival can do something that is sucessful, you will benefit in being able to do it as well, or if possible, even better or in more scenarios

#16 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, Doom Patrol was first. X-Men is a rip-off of them, not vice-versa. And I thought there was good article on here about Iron man being a rip-off of Metallo. 

#17 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything said:

Actually, Doom Patrol was first. X-Men is a rip-off of them, not vice-versa. And I thought there was good article on here about Iron man being a rip-off of Metallo.

I'd call X-Men an indirect rip-off, its a rip-off for sure but a lot of the similarities are superficial, and the X-Men are deeper than the Doom Patrol. And I say Iron Man is more of a build-off than a legit rip-off. More like a minor league rip-off.

@ColonelTBadass: I never realized the similiarities between Deathstroke the Terminator and Deathlok the Demolisher.

#18 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6869 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
Darkseid/ Thanos
Green Arrow/ Hawkeye
Ironman/ Steel
Atom/ Ant man
Namor/ Aquaman
Original Xmen/ Original Doom Patrol
red skull/ Black mask (purely aesthetic)
Captain America/ Guardian
Bane/ Crossbones (again purely aesthetic, cause seriously they look almost exactly the same)
  Catwoman/Black Cat
Dick Grayson/ Bucky Barnes

#19 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

Dc comics made blackest night after marvel made marvel zombies,I wonder why?

Blackest Night was conceived long before Marvel zombies and is actually based on an old Alan Moore story.

#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War-Kingdom Come

#21 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3182 posts) - - Show Bio

superman =gladiator from x-men

jean grey/madelyne prior/hopesummers=red sonja

#22 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

There is truth here, but we are gonna keep buying comics regardless!

#23 Posted by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of the most intentional ripoffs, as the creator of Gladiator named him after Superman. Kal-El + Clark Kent = Kallark (Gladiator's real name).

#24 Posted by fil123 (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

Civil War-Kingdom Come

meh not really

#25 Posted by Noone301994 (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

What are some characters that DC copied off of Marvel? It seems like Marvel did most of the copying

#26 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

There is an old 80s justice league international or europe that had a character called the crimson skier and his master fed on planets it was more of a parody then a rip off though

#27 Posted by grahamble (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, listen up I've got a whole boatload of similarities

Lex Luthor/ Norman Osborn: wore green and purple, has a mech suit, leads a team of super-villains, sucessful buisnessman, Luthor used to be a ginger too

Peter Parker/Clark Kent: Superman and Spiderman aren't too similar apart from the fact that they wear red and blue, but their respective adoptive fathers are both dead as well as their real parents and the are both semi-awkward newspapermen. Also their Archnemesis are practically the same.

Timberwolf/Wolverine: same look similar powers, especially Wolverine's "Fang" costume

Batman/Moonknight: Rich guys parading as vigilantes also Moon=Night=Dark therefore Moon Knight= Dark Knight another name for batman

Namor/Aquaman: Atlantean Kings

Red Hood/Winter Soldier: dead sidekicks eventually comeback from the dead originally villains, they later become anti-heroes

Parasite/Venom: Both got their powers from radioactive space slime also Parasite and Symbiote are close in definition a weak connection though

Catwoman/Black Cat: this one is pretty obvious anyone who has read a Spiderman and Batman comic with the respective characters mentioned

This one is a pretty weak connection but Huntress and Hawkeye have similar costumes and both are super-archers Hawkeye could also be seen as a Green Arrow rip-off as their are few Archer superheroes though Arrow him self is a hybrid of Batman and Robin Hood

Deathstroke/Deadpool: both super soldiers named Slade Wilson and Wade Wilson respectively, it's very very obvious

The Dark Knight Returns/ Oldman Logan: The Dark, Retired, Anti-hero rises up to confront the evil that has taken over his home, teams up with his disabled archer friend(a one armed green arrow and a blind hawkeye) to eventually face-off with the physically most powerful hero and almost dies in the process

Darkseid/Thanos: intergalactic, godlike, conquerers set out to find a way to extinguish all life in the universe uses possibly the mosst threatening have met the embodiment of death

Martian Manhunter/Captain Mar-Vell: alien shapeshifters that once was at war with another race of shapeshifers that tried to hdxe amongst the ranks of their respective super-teams

Doom Patrol/X-men: outcast hero teams led by a wheelchair bound mentor

Lizard/Man-Bat: scientists that tried to cure themselves of an ailment by using animal DNA and then Transformed into mutants of their respective animals

Brainiac/Galactus: both go from planet to planet absorbing power(knowledge for brainiac)

Galactus/Imperiex and Anti-Monitor: World/universe eaters

Clayface II/Sandman:dirt shapeshifting villains

Spiderman/Batman Beyond: Fatherless, teenage heroes, desperatley trying to juggle time, battle corrupted company heads(Green Goblin, Blight) finds it a real honor to be a part of the super hero team unlike many other members

Vandal Savage/Apocalypse(X-men): Immortals who got their powers from crashed space debris(or an alien ship in the case of apocalypse) and used their enhanced strength/knowledge to rule through the ages

Many people say Dr.Fate/Dr. Strange though I have not read enough about either of them to know. Plus with 800 different Dr. Fate's, its hard to know which came first

Superman/Batman Public Enemies/Marvel Civil War: After legal disputes, heroes now have to reveal themselves and "work" for the government. A divide between ideals leads to a clash amongst old friends and the All-American-Boy Scout is on the side that bleieves heroes should not have to work for the government strangely

Cable(X-Men)/Magog: though regarding powers and origins they aren't very similar, Mark Waid and Alex Ross admit that they ripped off Cable's Costume to make

Wolverine/Lobo: Mutant healing, very dark and violent, plus Lobo means "wolf" in spanish, almost certainly a reference to Wolverine

Wasp/Bumblebee: they shrink and shoot lasers plus the names are pretty obvious giveaways

Atom/Antman: Scientists who found a way to shrink themselves

Regarding the much debated concern over Kingdom Come and Civil War, I can see the similarities as reckless, young heroes accidentally take civilian lives fighting and tracking a supervillain. Once again this leads to debate over superheroes and a divide begins between more experienced heroes who side with the government and the younger heroes who form their own team though when I was reading Civil War and Kingdom Come, I didn't see that big a similarity.

#28 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4331 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

This is one of the most intentional ripoffs, as the creator of Gladiator named him after Superman. Kal-El + Clark Kent = Kallark (Gladiator's real name).

true, true, i was thinking this. It has been mentioned but the whole Squadron Supreme > JLA is really bad rip off. Good God...just look at it in depth and you will realize. The characters mind you, not the storyline as much. Marvel just seemed to rip the character concept and then went on to make it theirs.

what do we think is the most copied "type" of character? a "Superman" type or a "Batman" type? hmmmmm. tough call....

#29 Edited by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

true, true, i was thinking this. It has been mentioned but the whole Squadron Supreme > JLA is really bad rip off. Good God...just look at it in depth and you will realize. The characters mind you, not the storyline as much. Marvel just seemed to rip the character concept and then went on to make it theirs.

what do we think is the most copied "type" of character? a "Superman" type or a "Batman" type? hmmmmm. tough call....

Superman, unquestionably. The problem there is everyone knows when you're a Batman ripoff. If Marvel created a dark, kung fu, night-prowling superhero tomorrow, everyone would scream "BATMAN RIPOFFF!!"

But if Marvel made a guy who flies and is super strong with a blue and yellow costume, people will just say, "Oh look, just another generic superhero." So for every Moon Knight, there's a Ms. Marvel, a Wonder Man, a Vision, a Rogue, a Spider-Woman, a Sentry, a Gladiator, an Iron Man, a War Machine, a Thor, a Beta Ray Bill, a Nova, a Silver Surfer...
I believe all of those character trace back to Superman. It's just the mold.

#30 Posted by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter/Original Vision

#31 Posted by reaverlation (15842 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO I look at Black Panther as Marvel's Batman

#32 Posted by cameron83 (7296 posts) - - Show Bio

facepalm x 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

#33 Edited by cosmicallyaware1 (4331 posts) - - Show Bio

facepalm x 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Huh?

#34 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5596 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwing/Black Panther (First Batwing)

Steel/Superman/John Henry/Iron Man

Deathstroke/Captain America

Sentry/Superman

Vision/ Martain Manhunter

Lobo/Wolverine/Punisher

Etrigan/Ghost Rider

#35 Posted by ViperKing (422 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a YouTube video about this. It included Killer Croc being a ripoff of the Lizard, Thanos being a ripoff of Darkseid, etc., etc. I do remember the narrator saying that Marvel mostly ripoff of DC so Killer Croc bieing a ripof of the Lizard was a rare occasion. I'm not sure how true the video was though.

#36 Posted by Gyardos (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel is mostly copying another publishers, mostly DC.

That why I don't buying comics from Marvel becasue I don't like this kind of behaviour.

I'm not a DC fanboy, I like also some Image, Dynamite and Boom studios comics.

#37 Edited by Lateralus (1722 posts) - - Show Bio

#38 Posted by IronPanther (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@gyardos: I find that both companies "copy." And it's not "copying," it's seeing something and saying, "Hey, that's cool, but I bet I could find a way to make it better." Plus, a lot of characters are similar to each other because writers/artists would switch between companies all the time. Someone would create a character at DC and then move to Marvel and then decide to create a similar character there because they really liked the character they made at DC but couldn't use them at Marvel. Stuff like that.

Also I find that Marvel does more character "copying", and DC does a lot of story "copying" or format "copying." i.e. It wasn't until Marvel did Secret Wars, the first limited series of its kind, that DC started creating similar limited series. Also, Blackest Night after Marvel Zombies. Stuff like that. Honestly though they are just feeding off of each other to become better.

#39 Posted by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid/ ThanosGreen Arrow/ HawkeyeIronman/ SteelAtom/ Ant manNamor/ AquamanOriginal Xmen/ Original Doom Patrolred skull/ Black mask (purely aesthetic)Captain America/ GuardianBane/ Crossbones (again purely aesthetic, cause seriously they look almost exactly the same) Catwoman/Black CatDick Grayson/ Bucky Barnes

Deadpool is a rip off of deathstroke who is a rip off or deathlok.

Crossbones= Bane

Doom Patrol= X-men

Avengers= Maximums

The extremists= Marvel villains

Spiderman= Black spider, blue beetle

Namor= Aquaman

Sentry= Superman

Bane = Nuke

#40 Edited by BeaconofStrength (5456 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster=Deathstroke=Deadpool

Namor=Aquaman

Gladiator(not Marvel Gladiator)=Superman=Every Superman clone, ever

Doom Patrol=X-Men

Wolverine=Lobo

Etrigan=Ghost Rider

Darkseid=Thanos

Wasp=Bumble Bee

I could go on.

#41 Posted by Night4345 (4171 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@night4345: People like to claim Lobo is a Wolverine rip off because they are both ass holes with healing factors who smoke cigars. This is false. Lobo is a an Amalgamation of various "Gritty" characters that became popular in the late 70s and early 80s such as the Punisher, Wolverine and about 15 others that people had forgotten about by around 1986.

#43 Posted by KamenRiderHellhound (38 posts) - - Show Bio

THERE is one thing that DC copied from Marvel that I know of... DC copied S.H.I.E.L.D. with their version Checkmate.

See S.H.I.E.L.D. first appeared in Strange Tales #135 (Aug. 1965). While CHECKMATE came out 23 years later in Action Comics #598 (March1988).

Sooooo yeah.... Marvel isn't the ONLY one to rip off the competition.

#44 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry=Superman

Black Bolt feels like a ripoff, I'm just not very sure on what though.

#45 Posted by Justthatkid (3903 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by KamenRiderHellhound (38 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: This is true... but it does prove that DC can rip-off Marvel comics.

#47 Posted by Skit (2534 posts) - - Show Bio

@gundamheavyarms said:

Some say that the Doom Patrol is a rip off of the X-Men.

Doom Patrol predates X-men

I would say that Darkseid is more like Thanos than Apacolypse.

Darkseid came before both

Anyways I'm just going to mention Millennium/Secret Invasion(especially when you consider they were both kinda terrible, but still enjoyable) since thats the only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.

#48 Posted by KittyParker13 (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Man-Thing and Swamp Thing are so ridiculously similar.

#49 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman was ripped off of Zoro, everything can be called "ripped off" of something else. It's inspiration. You see something, it gives you an idea, and you mold it into your own.

#50 Posted by Blade_R (2537 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire & Firestar