DC vs Marvel fans, how real is it?

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm reading comics since the early 80s.

I never realized before coming here how deep was the schism between DC and Marvel fan base.

However, Internet can amplify++++ virtually any difference of opinion.

So, what do you think is there a real difference between Marvel and DC readers?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

It's like sports really. Some take it as friendly razzing some live and die by it. I think that the internet gave us the tool to be more connected but it's the movies that really set the fire between both comic book fans and those that only see the movies.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

It's like politics. Democratic vs Republicans. At least, that's how I see it.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GreatCaesarsGhost

I wouldn't know, I read both,and I read smaller publishers as well. Some readers are arrogant, but I ignore them personally.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's for realsies.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

As far as "which movie is better", it's very real

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like sports really. Some take it as friendly razzing some live and die by it. I think that the internet gave us the tool to be more connected but it's the movies that really set the fire between both comic book fans and those that only see the movies.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BullPR

Interesting. Very possible, by the time the new wave of CBM (if we start with X-Men 2001) was on the screen, I was already quite far away from the comics., so I may have missed this change.

I hope you are sarcastic here. If not, I'm speechless.

As far as "which movie is better", it's very real

Ok, so you agree with @saint_wildcard and @voodoopenguin and would pin point the "schism" to the emergence and the worldwide success of the movies?

I believe the three of you, but I'm surprised. Why the movies would "radicalize" the fans?

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: All I'm saying is that there's a lot of debate about the movies. I never said it was a bad thing. A mere friendly rivalry rather than a flame war, if anything.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: Actually I've probably seen way more flamewars about movies than actual comics. Many, many of them about blank movie being too dark.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@bullpr said:

I hope you are sarcastic here. If not, I'm speechless.

Well, it's mostly an exaggeration lol. I see so many fanboys argue about this sort of thing like it's soo important.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: All I'm saying is that there's a lot of debate about the movies. I never said it was a bad thing. A mere friendly rivalry rather than a flame war, if anything.

I'm all in favor of a friendly rivalry, but if read several threads in a raw around, especially in the battle forum but not only, and a clear picture starts to emerge: a real minority of "viners" (that I assume are good representative of the contemporary comic books fan) will identify themselves (more or less openly) as DC or marvel fan and be quite biased by that. A clear antagonism seems to be present, and that's very surprising when you are not expecting it

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BullPR

@voodoopenguin said:

@amazingwebhead: Actually I've probably seen way more flamewars about movies than actual comics. Many, many of them about blank movie being too dark.

"Flamewars" are the exception, and are always present in almost all forum, professionals or not. I was more speaking about a real schism. To even bring on the table the difference democrats/republicans is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.

@symbioticspider-man: I'm not sure it's only fanboys that are involved here.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: Sorry I was more replying to Webhead. I also misunderstood what he wrote. I'm tired.
Deal with it, buttgoblin ;-;

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: @voodoopenguin: Yeah, somebody actually did a thread congratulating Man of Steel (which I love) for still causing fan debates a year later.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

keithcolby1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people take it too serious. They are made up characters, places, and things. They both have positives and negatives.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

You're good. No denial.

Why would I deny my masterpiece of a thread? It's a work of art

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@amazingwebhead said:

@bullpr: @voodoopenguin: Yeah, somebody actually did a thread congratulating Man of Steel (which I love) for still causing fan debates a year later.

You're good. No denial.

@deathpoolthet1000: so for you, what I found in this forum is just an amplification/deformation induced by internet. Possible too.

Day 1, Talking about MoS and TDK vs Every Marvel Movie
Day 2, When people attack the other, the other defend the other part in such a weird romantic way.
Day 2, When people attack the other, the other defend the other part in such a weird romantic way.
Day 3, When it notice there is something weird about their relationship.

This is how i describe the DC and Marvel fanboys relationship.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BullPR

@deathpoolthet1000: Ok. But why do you have to have two different kind of fans?

Again, my English is probably not good enough or maybe I'm just not clear enough, but my point is:

Since when is there such a clear schism between DC and Marvel fans?

I can assure you it was not the case in the 80s.

@saint_wildcard: and if you remember I received at least two gold medals for my own contribution...

:-)

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

Again, my English is probably not good enough or maybe I'm just not clear enough, but my point is:

@saint_wildcard: and if you remember I received at least two gold medals for my own contribution...

A little dark miracle called the Internetz.

It amps everything to 11.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

A little dark miracle called the Internetz.

It amps everything to 11.

Ok, so synergy of internet + new wave of CBM. I can understand that.

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty good friends with various DC and Marvel fans in real life. It's pretty different from the internet.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@amazingwebhead said:

You're good. No denial.

@deathpoolthet1000: so for you, what I found in this forum is just an amplification/deformation induced by internet. Possible too.

This is how i describe the DC and Marvel fanboys relationship.

I don't even get that much. Forever alone.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@saint_wildcard said:

This. My friend is a Marvel guy, I'm DC. We constantly have friendly debates over which is better, but at the end of the day, we both love comics and are open to reading from any publisher.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I make jokes about how I hate DC, but honestly I like both and I don't care if someone prefers DC over Marvel.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There is none.Just Good Comics.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

The feud is very real, but it primarily only exists online. There doesn't need to be a huge difference, but people like having something to argue and complain about. I wish people could just like 1 company without hating the other.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fans who are dedicated to one company are missing out a lot of great books.

That being said, there is only so much time and money to go around, so people may be forced to choose somewhat.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Alot of people can take it so seriously as to think that the other company can't produce anything good. Its quite embarrassing we all have personal favorites but I mean how can anyone say all marvel is better than Dc or vice versa as both companies have had there forgettable stories and stinkers. But theres no reasoning with them fans.

MikeyJ122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally don't mind the rivalry, but it at times seems over the top. I can only speak from my personal experiences (not trying to label the DC fanbase as a whole, because I honestly love Bats and all things Gotham), but it seems like DC fans are overly vocal. I know not all are like that, but sometimes a couple ofbad apples spoils the whole damn bunch. It nust seems like they look down on Marvel, like its the silly little red headed step brother. I feel like I can't even discuss certain issues because it automatically turns into a flame war. "DC was first, more ICONIC, Superman would beat up Hulk or Thor or Silver Surfer, Batman would beat up Wolverine or Cap or Spidey, Wonder Woman would beat up all Marvel girls, Flash is faster and just plain better than anyone from Marvel, and Justice League would stomp and are better than the Avengers" are all coversations I have had with DC fanboys. Now we are all entitled to our opinions, which is fine, but DC fans are just so certain and strong with their convictions. You can't reason with folks that think they know everything and are RIGHT about everything. I'm not saying Marvel fans are perfect or innocent either, but from my experience we are forced to defend our characters at every turn. Two wrongs don't make a right, but its hard not to get offended when Marvel legends are treated like 2nd stringers by DC fans, especially when Marvel is the bigger and more valuable franchise at the moment (yes I'm talking about the MCU).

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like both of them and I don't like that it's either DC > marvel or marvel > DC. It's just that tr fanboys of both sides are extremely annoying sometimes IMO.