#1 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

My Sister keeps telling me that, based on movies alone, Marvel > DC.

"They've got Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, they're making Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, they have Fantastic Four blah blah blah..."

I try to tell her why most of these movies are not intrinsically better than DC's movies, starting with how they ruined their characters when they adapted them to the big screen, and many of them have lack-luster plots and just have star-power and big explosions. Still fun, but not "better".

She says I'm just hating on her because she thinks Marvel is better (even though she was the one hating to begin with), and I then tried explaining that "it's pretty silly to think one is "better", you can prefer one and like it more, that's fine, but it's fallacious to say one is 'better' than the other just because you like it more," and she told me I was wrong, and as I'm writing this my Mother and Sister are both laughing at how silly they think I am and how bad at arguing/debating I am (I walked away after the whole "my opinion can't be wrong nyahaha" thing, because once that's thrown out there, people never accept other positions of an argument).

What do I do short of killing my entire family, about this situation? I'm related to morons.

As well, which do you PREFER and why? Keep in mind that one is not superior to the other intrinsically and it's fallacious to call one "better" simply because you prefer it.

#2 Posted by MrShway88 (686 posts) - - Show Bio

When discussing anything with a woman, it is important to remember they always think they are right even if they know they are wrong. The only thing you can do is just stop caring and ignore them with a smile on your face.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4833 posts) - - Show Bio

They are right in that their opinion can't be wrong. I recommend you just keep trying to persuade them in a non-argumentative/aggressive way. I prefer Marvel but I don't just because of the reasons they stated

@MrShway88 said:

When discussing anything with a woman, it is important to remember they always think they are right even if they know they are wrong. The only thing you can do is just stop caring and ignore them with a smile on your face.

LOL, too true

#4 Posted by Dreamcast89 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88 said:

this

#5 Edited by Casublett (169 posts) - - Show Bio

All that follows is based on the overall history of both companies and not any particular time-frame. These are general truths about the nature of both universes as observed by me. nothing more, nothing less. Both companies at any given time are guilty of much (Marvel Events for an example), both still have an overall truth. This is what I comment on.

While I can't deny what is right with DC:

Batman is the greatest superhero ever. The psychological exchange between Batman and the Joker are of an almost of Shakespearean level. Gotham city's gritty and almost tangible atmosphere thrum with a very real "heart"

Superman is the "ideal" for the very concept of Superhero, arguably the ideal for all MALE kind.

The relatively recent "Trinity" concept around DC's big 3 is of epic proportions and frames the DCU in an almost academic, worthy of study way. Joseph Campbell would have much to gleam from the DCU with all it says about humanity.

What G. Johns has done with the Green Lantern mythos is truly amazing (and very Marvel like I might add), worthy of all the praise one could heap upon it.

But outside of these (very praise worthy) elements, the DCU is filled with sooo much wrong.

Almost all of their "B" list characters are either ridiculous or overly cheesy.

The physical locations (outside of Gotham and Smallville) are dreamy and unattached, unrelated to much in the real world, making it hard for projection and suspension of disbelief. While there is something to be said for the symbols and spirit these fictional cities attempt to embody, ultimately they serve as distractions and server attachment.

Besides a fairly small group (Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonderwoman and maybe a few others), there are very few characters worthy of the conscious/unconscious ID projection frequently required to move ones soul. Has anyone every wanted to be Aquaman? Dreamed of being Cyborg? While DC does have some worthy B characters, they are more interesting from an observers standpoint, with only the big heroes being worth of a genuine lust for their life and situation.

DC, at it's best, has the pinnacle of all that is superhero, but below that level, it's barely worth recognition.

While Marvel GENERALLY lacks the truly mythic and epic proportions DC is capable of, that might be it's very strength.

DC has a generally more epic nature with their main stable of characters, Marvel is a bit more down to earth, if that can even be said about comic books and superheros. Marvel is generally more relateable, speaking more to man's active nature and secret soul.

Most of Marvel's location are tied to the real world, immediately making for easier projection. It's much easier to suspend disbelief and enjoy Spider-Man as he romps through NY, while Superman's Metropolis and Green Lantern's Coast City serve to actually keep the viewer detached from the hero fantasy.

Marvel is just as guilty in the B-list department (overrun with cheese and ridiculousness), the overall Marvel stable of characters far outweighs the whole that DC has to offer. Not only does Marvel have it's heavy hitters in popularity (Spider-man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil etc), it's teeming with characters servicing MANY a psychological niche. Ghost Rider? Silver Surfer? Punisher? Venom?

Marvel has a much more familiar mythic framework, owing much more to classic mythological frameworks than DC's random and whatever the writers came up with that week in the LONG LONG convoluted DC history. Marvel's universe makes sense (mostly lol), with a relatively believable cosmological framework, from the micro to the macro. While DC's is more a patchwork of ideas, stitched together acting more as a dreamy tapestry backdrop, with Marvel's functioning as a concrete foundation.

And finally in my very incomplete list, Marvel has just always been more "cool". Outside of Batman, there are little if any characters dripping "cool" the way most (but be no means all) of the Marvel stable do. DC has generally tried to played catch up (without taking away from DC), trying to emulate what makes Marvel special.

Of course this is all very subjective, but that's the whole point of an opinion. :)

Forgive my pseudo intellectual post, these are just my musing and general ramblings on a subject I've given much thought.

#6 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

Your sister sounds like she is not like you, a long time reader familiar with the characters...

She only knows about the movies.... So, if we ignore "cannon" it's easier to see her point of view.

#7 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

from what I've seen people who dont read comics and only watch the movies tend to prefer Marvel and if they do like DC they only say that because batman is in it.

#8 Edited by quirky_anecdotes (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

My Sister keeps telling me that, based on movies alone, Marvel > DC.

"They've got Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, they're making Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, they have Fantastic Four blah blah blah..."

I try to tell her why most of these movies are not intrinsically better than DC's movies, starting with how they ruined their characters when they adapted them to the big screen, and many of them have lack-luster plots and just have star-power and big explosions. Still fun, but not "better".

She says I'm just hating on her because she thinks Marvel is better (even though she was the one hating to begin with), and I then tried explaining that "it's pretty silly to think one is "better", you can prefer one and like it more, that's fine, but it's fallacious to say one is 'better' than the other just because you like it more," and she told me I was wrong, and as I'm writing this my Mother and Sister are both laughing at how silly they think I am and how bad at arguing/debating I am (I walked away after the whole "my opinion can't be wrong nyahaha" thing, because once that's thrown out there, people never accept other positions of an argument).

What do I do short of killing my entire family, about this situation? I'm related to morons.

As well, which do you PREFER and why? Keep in mind that one is not superior to the other intrinsically and it's fallacious to call one "better" simply because you prefer it.

so you're criticising h her for having an opinion on which is better but then saying that the Marvel movie characters are inferior to the comic book ones?

hypocrisy thy name is you.

Also I can't stop laughing at the idea that Batman is the greatest superhero ever. He's not even a superhero. He doesn't even have any bloody superpowers.

#9 Edited by Casublett (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@quirky_anecdotes: "Superhero" is a generic term, it doesn't denote powers as much as "super" actions and capacity. Batman falls within that definition.

Relax :)

#10 Posted by ImmortalOne (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Your sister has made me angry.

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8082 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because their opinions are different from yours they are morons? Wow they sure are lucky to have you around to keep them in check.

I personally don't think either is better and that it is simply a matter of preference, but if you think your family are morons, because they don't share in your DC fandom then that is all you.

#12 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@Casublett said:

All that follows if based on the overall history of both companies and not any particular time-frame. These are general truths about the nature of both universes as observed by me. nothing more, nothing less.

While I can't deny what is right with DC:

Batman is the greatest superhero ever. The psychological exchange between Batman and the Joker are of an almost of Shakespearean level. Gotham city's gritty and almost tangible atmosphere thrum with a very real "heart"

Superman is the "ideal" for the very concept of Superhero, arguably the ideal for all MALE kind.

The relatively recent "Trinity" concept around DC's big 3 is of epic proportions and frames the DCU in an almost academic, worthy of study way. Joseph Campbell would have much to gleam from the DCU with all it says about humanity.

What G. Johns has done with the Green Lantern mythos is truly amazing (and very Marvel like I might add), worthy of all the praise one could heap upon it.

But outside of these (very praise worthy) elements, the DCU is filled with sooo much wrong.

Almost all of their "B" list characters are either ridiculous or overly cheesy.

The physical locations (outside of Gotham and Smallville) are dreamy and unattached, unrelated to much in the real world, making it hard for projection and suspension of disbelief. While there is something to be said for the symbols and spirit these fictional cities attempt to embody, ultimately they serve as distractions and server attachment.

Besides a fairly small group (Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonderwoman and maybe a few others), there are very few characters worthy of the conscious/unconscious ID projection frequently required to move ones soul. Has anyone every wanted to be Aquaman? Dreamed of being Cyborg? While DC does have some worthy B characters, they are more interesting from an observers standpoint, with only the big heroes being worth of a genuine lust for their life and situation.

DC, at it's best, has the pinnacle of all that is superhero, but below that level, it's barely worth recognition.

While Marvel GENERALLY lacks the truly mythic and epic proportions DC is capable of, that might be it's very strength.

While DC has generally more epic nature with their big characters, Marvel is a bit more down to earth, if that can even be said about comic books and superheros. Marvel is generally more relateable, speaking more to man's active nature and secret soul.

Most of Marvel's location are tied to the real world, immediately making for easier projection. It's much easier to suspend disbelief and enjoy Spider-Man as he romps through NY, while Superman's Metropolis and Green Lantern's Coast City serve to actually keep the viewer detached from the hero fantasy.

Marvel is just as guilty in the B-list department (overrun with cheese and ridiculousness), the overall Marvel stable of characters far outweighs the whole that DC has to offer. Not only does Marvel have it's heavy hitters in popularity (Spider-man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil etc), it's teeming with characters servicing MANY a psychological niche. Ghost Rider? Silver Surfer? Punisher? Venom?

Marvel has a much more familiar mythic framework, owing much more to classic mythological frameworks than DC's random and whatever the writers came up with that week in the LONG LONG convoluted DC history. Marvel's universe makes sense (mostly lol), with a relatively believable cosmological framework, from the micro to the macro. While DC's is more a patchwork of ideas, stitched together acting more as a dreamy tapestry backdrop, with Marvel's functioning as a concrete foundation.

Forgive my pseudo intellectual post, these are just my musing and general ramblings on a subject I've given much thought.

You, sir, just earned yourself a follow.

#13 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8463 posts) - - Show Bio

I like DC a Bit more than Marvel. MARVEl just pisses me off sometimes with thier stupid events, pricing and other stupid stuff : l

#14 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Just because their opinions are different from yours they are morons? Wow they sure are lucky to have you around to keep them in check.

I personally don't think either is better and that it is simply a matter of preference, but if you think your family are morons, because they don't share in your DC fandom then that is all you.

You obviously didn't read the post very well. I think they're morons because they are morons, not because they dislike DC.

#15 Edited by Casublett (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

You, sir, just earned yourself a follow.

Lol, you'll be disappointed as I rarely peak from my cave to say anything noteworthy. Lurker through and through.

Thx tho, nice compliment!