#1 Edited by noj (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

The Illuminati in Marvel is a very interesting group of well meaning men taking it upon themselves to ensure the safety of the world by controlling events from the shadows. The original group consisted of Reed Richards, Doctor Strange, Namor Professor X, Iron Man and Black Bolt with Black Panther refusing to join until just recently. This got me thinking of who would be in DC's version of the Illuminati. Its a bit harder to think of DC characters in this position since DC heroes would probably be unwilling to form such a cabal. Oh well heres who I came up with and their Marvel counterparts.

Batman - Iron Man

Mr Terrific - Reed Richards

John Constantine - Doctor Strange(Constantine isnt as powerful as Strange but his connections to and knowledge of the dark side of the DC universe make him useful)

Wonder Woman - Black Panther

Aquaman - Namor

Swamp Thing - Black Bolt (there doesnt seem to be a DC counterpart to the Inhumans but as a representative of the Green Swamp Thing makes sense as a member)

There isnt any Xavier counterpart that I can think of since there isnt a mutant counterpart that I can think of.

What are your picks?

#2 Edited by JonSmith (3987 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say bring in Martian Manhunter to represent the aliens, Superman is too trusting to approve of this. Everyone else knows the responsibility of leadership, and how to keep secrets for the protection of others. Aside from that, I can't think of any heroes who fit the roles better.

#3 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is Batman and Alfred Pennyworth are the real rulers of the whole planet. For a larger group, I could see Batman leading a larger group. For the villains, the leaders would be First Born, Ares, Circe, Vandal Savage, Black Adam, Ras Al Ghul, Lex Luthor, Hector Hammond, Ocean Master, etc. similar to the Young Justice cartoon Light group.

#4 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Iron Man are far too different, ideologically, to be counterparts. Can you ever see Bruce Wayne backing the Superhuman Registration Act? I mean, keeping in mind that the act applied to all masked vigilantes, not only those capable of shooting laser beams from their eyes. As far as I know, Mr. Terrific is nowhere near the same level of genius as Reed Richards. I can see where you're going with Constantine, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Swamp Thing (though I think there must be a better counterpart to Black Bolt somewhere in the DCU).

Maybe Captain Marvel/Shazam in place of Constantine? As far as power levels, he's more on par with Strange, and his connection to magic and those who practice it lines up well.

#5 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For a secret hero group, I like to see Mr Miracle, Poseidon, Hermes, Hercules, Hippolyta, Immortal Man, Spectre, Pandora, Phantom Stranger, Question, Martian Manhunter, Iron Munro, Adam Blake Captain Comet, Batman, Michael Holt, etc.

#6 Posted by roboadmiral (538 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Batman or Constantine would be willing to join an organization like that. Shadow-Organization-that-Secretly-Controls-the-Planet reeks of something that Batman would spend a year-long maxi-series dismantling.

Constantine can barely keep his own life together, let alone run the affairs of the world. That compounded with a long running anti-authoritarian streak, he'd stay as far away from that sort of group as humanly possible.

#7 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman is the sole member of DC's Illuminati, but no one knows it yet. Guy has some crazy secrets.

#8 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: Good topic. I'll give it a shot even though I'm not a true DC fan. I know I'm totally reaching for a few candidates, plus I'm inserting a wildstorm character too. But I WOULD READ a book like this...

Amazon - Hippolyta
Atlantis - King Iqula

Gotham - Batman

The Green - Swamp Thing

Khandaq - Black Adam

Kherubim - Emp

Martian Manhunter

#9 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the closest.

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Shadow-Organization-that-Secretly-Controls-the-Planet reeks of something that Batman would spend a year-long maxi-series dismantling.

@end_boss said:

Batman and Iron Man are far too different, ideologically, to be counterparts.

I say this in every thread like this

#11 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

I'd say bring in Martian Manhunter to represent the aliens, Superman is too trusting to approve of this.

This.

I'm not sure about Wonder Woman and Aquaman, though. I wouldn't want it to be too similar to the Justice League lineup. It wouldn't be that secretive if half the Justice League knew about this stuff.

#12 Posted by noj (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: Yeah the Light certainly is alot like the Illuminati but the main problem is that its only villains. Marvels Illuminati for all its faults and the mistakes that theyve made is a heroic group. Heck I originally wanted to put Lex Luthor on the list but just the fact that he is as much of a villain as he is renders him pretty much incapable of working along side these heroes.

#13 Edited by The Stegman (22998 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a thread about this already exists..but I'm too lazy to find it, so I'll say here what I said there, this team during Identity Crisis always kinda reminded me of the Illuminati, even if the members aren't versions of the Marvel team.

Hal Jordan- Master of the Stars

Green Arrow- Master of the Bow

Atom- Master of Science

Black Canary- Master of the Martial Arts

Barry Allen-- Master of Speed

Hawkman- Master of the Skies

Zatanna- Master of the Mystic Arts.

#14 Edited by noj (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: That certainly is a very Illuminati like picture but I dont think that the group really fits. They werent schemers or anything just keeping a dangerous secret. On a side not DAMN is that a great cover! Michael Turner's art may not have been for everyone but I loved it!

#15 Posted by RustyRoy (10826 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Batman
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Dr. Fate
  • Mr. Terrific
  • Black Adam.
  • Sinestro (as GL)
  • Mera.

Note : This isn't supposed to be a copycat of Marvel's team. Just how I'd imagine DC's Illuminati should consist of.