• 65 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (38683 posts) - - Show Bio

DC continues to show off new material in a feature called "What's New in The New 52." Yesterday, we got a look at "Joker's Daughter" and today the site premiered sketches of a new cosmic villain named Relic. Illustrated by GREEN LANTERN artist Billy Tan, check out his height compared to a Lantern... the dude's barely up to his knees!

"There's a new intergalactic villain in town: Relic. As a new era begins for Green Lantern, a new evil rises to face him. Check out the design by new GREEN LANTERN artist Billy Tan."

What do you think of the design, Viners? Speak your mind below.

Source: DC

Staff
#1 Edited by ultimatepunchrod (88 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks really cool. I always like the idea of heroes fighting villains that are so massive by comparison.

#2 Posted by CrackedVersion00 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Atleast this one's better than..... Joker's daughter *ugh* =_=*

#3 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems Legit

#4 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

David and Goliath retold by DC

#5 Posted by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty cool.

#6 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@crackedversion00 said:

Atleast this one's better than..... Joker's daughter *ugh* =_=*

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

The head looks silly.

Frankly, I feel like many of the New 52 new villains don't look like comic characters - just generic enemies from fantasy or sci-fi. Someone like Atrocitus looks like a comic-book character with his insignia and boots....Relic here looks like a Star Trek extra.

#8 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

These design's a terrible.

#9 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12850 posts) - - Show Bio

it needs a bit more work, he seems like a bad Brainiac rip-off

#10 Posted by kingoftheworld (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Cell?

#11 Posted by trebean (641 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like a combination of Braniac and MMH with added Cell horns.

What's that on his back?

#12 Posted by Black_Claw (2957 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see this guy in a future issue.

#13 Posted by RustyRoy (11858 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cool.

#14 Posted by Saren (25555 posts) - - Show Bio

The face and pointed head resemble the post-IC MMH a great deal.

#15 Edited by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

My curiosity is piqued.

#16 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3736 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does he look like an ultra version of Cell?

#17 Posted by Squalleon (4492 posts) - - Show Bio

i like him he looks.......cosmic!

#18 Posted by StrangeMan (410 posts) - - Show Bio
@veshark said:

The head looks silly.

Frankly, I feel like many of the New 52 new villains don't look like comic characters - just generic enemies from fantasy or sci-fi. Someone like Atrocitus looks like a comic-book character with his insignia and boots....Relic here looks like a Star Trek extra.

I feel the same way, they all seem so generic and uninspired.

#19 Posted by darkrider (442 posts) - - Show Bio

this should be the next collect and connect from mattel

#20 Edited by Dernman (14886 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the design would fit better on a normal size character then on one who is big. If they were going big he should look different.

#21 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a big dude.

#22 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5007 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. His head looks off, maybe when he's colored he'll look better.

#23 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks Cool

#24 Posted by Lvenger (19051 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind the head but I don't see why he needs to be giant. Can't he just be as threatening in a smaller size? Still this is the first non Lantern or emotional spectrum based Green Lantern foe for some time so they're still ironing out the kinks.

#25 Edited by mamooo (24 posts) - - Show Bio

His back must be a pain to draw..

@veshark Agree :\

#26 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5336 posts) - - Show Bio

Not impressed.

#27 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger good point. It is actually nice to see they are at least trying out someone who isn't part of any Lantern Corps. I think they've milked that for all it's worth.

#28 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#29 Posted by Lvenger (19051 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Yeah Relic just seems to be a shock value reveal so far. Hopefully Venditti can do something with him.

#30 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. looks like the Lanterns are in for some major trouble...

#31 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8983 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess we will see in some upcoming stories where this villain will take the Green Lantern series

#32 Edited by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

The head looks silly.

What are comic book characters supposed to look like?

#33 Edited by SmashBrawler (5576 posts) - - Show Bio

Look mom! No rings!

#34 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@chronus

I realize it's a broad statement, and that superhero universes as a multi-genre concept will naturally share similarities with other genres (see: Ghost Rider looking like a biker). But what I'm saying is that I feel like a high percentage of the New 52's newly-introduced villains look overtly derivative of other genres to me.

#35 Edited by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

.............. he has adam west batman ears.................. thats all i can really comment on right now.

plus did they actually state which lantern they were comparing him size wise with? because the core has members with different hights' (need i not mention our space squirrelly friend Ch'p), so it might turn out that he's teeny weeny. :P
But yeh, not so impressed at the moment.

#36 Posted by nappystr8 (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see this working once colored, and possibly given some extra time to get used to. But my first impression is Mongol with squirrel ears.

#37 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see this working once colored, and possibly given some extra time to get used to.

#38 Edited by The Average Bear (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like it

#39 Posted by mksystem74 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

the face looks a lot better on the right than the left.

#40 Posted by ectoborge (208 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that they are introducing new villains, not a fan of the bunny ears though

#41 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

The head looks silly.

Absolutely. It feels like no one really puts the effort into making something iconic or instantly recognisable. I think it also matches the writing where new villains don't really seem to pop off the page anymore. Hope this starts to shift soon.

#42 Edited by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't like it

#43 Edited by sagejonathan (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks really cool.

#44 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

seems cool. got to wait to see him in action

#45 Edited by MaidenFate (9 posts) - - Show Bio

did anyone else notice he kind of looks like a martian?

#46 Edited by kostisfire (119 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like we've seen every possible design allready so whatever new character gets created must have a strong personallity to make an impact.

#48 Edited by modunhanul (403 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good.

#49 Posted by Frobin (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to it. Green Lantern is one of DC's best books - hope it stays this way.

Especially the Green Lantern universe has been developed really great in recent years by Geoff Johns and others (Green Lantern Corps has been also amazing) ... but (though: nothing against a new villain!) in my opinion DC's cosmic universe is a bit chaotic (compared to Marvel). There are many characters that could be really great, but are often used as B- or C-listers.

Just think of Darkseid (in my opinion DC's Thanos), Mongul, Starro (the Conquerer - as seen in R.E.B.E.L.S), Queen Bee, Despero, Brainiac and other villains, who are cosmic for real but always used very Earth bound.
There are also many cosmic heroes (on Earth and in deep space). And think of all the alien races like the Dominators, the Khunds, the Qwardians, Tamarans, the whole Vega System ...

The DC universe seems so small ... the Guardians have organized the WHOLE UNIVERSE into 3600 sectors (with OA in its center) ... so tell me how it's possible the Green Lanterns never clash with STARRO, who rules 9 galaxies (which would be more than one sector?) ... there are hundreds of trillions of galaxies in the universe!

If you think about this the Guardians can't rule the whole universe ... just this Galaxy or many Galaxies (ours included) ... so they are more Guardians of our Galaxy ... this would open so much stories about the unknown threats outside the Guardian universe.

I just say (besides new characters), structuring the DC Cosmic landscape would be much work to do ...

#50 Posted by mightyrearranger (1490 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big fan of cosmic villains in either universe, but outside of that personal preference, he looks alright.

Just wish they could push some background villains more. Throw some of the minor Red Lanterns and Sinestro Corps members in the mix and holding their own once in a while.