• 71 results
#1 Posted by CortSether (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

Note: I say "cosmic" not "comic".    :)

So, I was in a thread on KMC forums and it turned into a thread about which company created cooler cosmic entities. 

I believe Marvel does better on the whole, but a lot of people on the thread were of the idea that Marvel makes lame cosmic and high-end reality warper entities and that DC makes great ones.

So what do you think?

#2 Edited by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio

One word

Sliver Surfer..........ok thats two....although i wouldnt call him an entity

but he really is the only cosmic i like........other than Phoenix

#3 Posted by Venom-Hulker_1 (1647 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus or Thanos with Infinity Gauntlet KILLS DC universe

#4 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
head explodes
#5 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

why does one have to be better?

#6 Posted by Psyker star (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel

#7 Posted by CortSether (1821 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" why does one have to be better? "
Well one doesn't have to...but usually someone will be of the opinion that one company just does it somewhat better than the other in specific areas. 

For me, Marvel creates better cosmic entities whereas DC creates better street levelers. All in opinion.
#8 Posted by Night Thrasher (3667 posts) - - Show Bio
@CortSether said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
Well one doesn't have to...but usually someone will be of the opinion that one company just does it somewhat better than the other in specific areas.   For me, Marvel creates better cosmic entities whereas DC creates better street levelers. All in opinion. "
It's hard to disagree with that. NOTE: If Superman were a cosmic character (as he should be in my mind) this would be a lot closer.
#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

when I think of cosmic comic characters I think of Marvel, the whole Annihilation story arcs prove that Marvel has a whole area dedicated to cosmic characters and themes while I can't actually think of any cosmic DC character off the top of my head (but then again it's not like I'm actually trying, but apart from Superman I don't associate DC with outer space)

#10 Posted by CortSether (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#11 Edited by Psyker star (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has the best Cosmic Characters
#12 Posted by Shadow Sorcerer (66 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to say. Cosmic characters as a whole or just the entities? Seeing Silver Surfer so many times mentioned confused me.

I like DC's more (shocking, I know)

I love Adam Strange, Captain Comet, Hawkman, the Green Lantern Corps, the revamped Starro, Despero, Jemm, Kryptonians, Daxamites, Legion of Superheroes, etc.

#13 Posted by TheGuy (595 posts) - - Show Bio

How "cosmic"? Like Surfer status or like abstracts. Because I fully believe the Endless trump the Abstracts and Phoenix when it comes to likeability and characterisation.

#14 Posted by Jx4gz (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
It doesn't, their both great!!!
#16 Posted by inferiorego (22646 posts) - - Show Bio
@#1ElderScrollsFan said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
It doesn't, their both great!!! "
agreed
Staff
#17 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @#1ElderScrollsFan said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
agreed "
Yeah I never got into all that love one company and hate the other kind of stuff. I don't care about companies I only care about comics.
#18 Posted by Lunacyde (18470 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @#1ElderScrollsFan said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
agreed "
Double agreed

Also the term cosmics is very vague...I am not even sure people are thinking the same thing when they hear cosmics.
#19 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I can name more cosmic entities from Marvel even though I'm a DC if that mean anything
#20 Posted by Lunacyde (18470 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what qualfies as "cosmic".

#21 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

How about Vertigo, they have the Endless
#22 Posted by Lunacyde (18470 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" How about Vertigo, they have the Endless "
I always put Vertigo and DC hand in hand.
#23 Posted by lagoon_boy (10952 posts) - - Show Bio
to put an end to this, every battle is a stalemate
#24 Edited by ___Living_Tribunal_22__ (388 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like Marvel cosmics better, they are made into more of a cosmical and sci-fi fashion while DC has more mystical and biblical entities. I always differ from that because its hard to me to believe that in DC angels are abstract level or higher (i.e. Michael and Lucifer) and are way above cosmics like Imperiex, where it should be the other way around. That's why I like Marvel better because they are consistent in that magic is inferior to cosmic powers and their God is reproduced into a more abstract and sci-fi version rather than the Judeo-Christian God. But who I am to say that, if DC wants to make angels cosmic entities, thein its fine to me. I do respect Nabu or Zeus or Phantom Stranger, and in the other side I like Darkseid, Green Lantern Corps or the Monitors. But I like Marvel more because their cosmic entities are make more "cosmical" and important to the balance of creation.
#25 Posted by The Stegman (23813 posts) - - Show Bio

well Marvel's cosmic characters are more well defined, their powers and pasts are more thorough, however Dc has the largest mass murderer in comic book history, Anti Monitor, the guy killed trillions and trillions

#26 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone considered the emotional entities like Ion or Parallax in this discussion. They're pretty cool. Idk if they'd beat someone like Thanos or the Silver Surfer but they are powerful and kinda neat :)

#27 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
 Mister Mxyzptlk
#28 Posted by TheAvenger802 (272 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel, that will be all

#29 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4231 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kal'smahboi: Exactly, the butcher was the first thing that popped into my mind
I like DC's cosmic entities better.
#30 Edited by Sissel (1986 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Marvel's cosmic better, since I know them better. TOAA and Beyonder are definitely well defined and explored.

#31 Posted by PowerHerc (82755 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has the best cosmic and abstact entities by far. It's not even close.

#32 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Marvel has the best cosmic and abstact entities by far. It's not even close.

This.
#33 Posted by Billy Batson (57918 posts) - - Show Bio

DC. 

BB

#34 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Phantom Stranger, Darkseid, Orion, Mister Miracle, Big Barda > Entire Marvel Pantheon. 

Like comparing Michael Jordan to an armless four year old playing basketball. 

Marvel loses points due to how terrible Thanos is. Worst. Character. Ever.

#35 Posted by SC (12914 posts) - - Show Bio

Depending on what you mean, I find both incredibly lacking. This is probably one clear area indy comics are superior. 

#36 Posted by ___Living_Tribunal_22__ (388 posts) - - Show Bio

Blasphemy, Thanos is the coolest.
#37 Posted by TwistedGamer (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Wat...

#38 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of Marvel's cosmic characters and setting, but I haven't ever actually enjoyed any of their cosmic stories I've read. So I'd go with DC.

#39 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio
This thread is about tastes, for that reason, threads like this are pointless, there is not a real truth in tastes...
#40 Posted by entropy_aegis (15103 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvels tier system of cosmics is much more consistent and grounded.I do like cosmic characters from both companies but based on consistency Marvel cleans house.DC's has only been consistent under the recent Morrison/Johns regime.

#41 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say it is a solid tie.....I have read way more of the Marvel Cosmic stuff, and it feels like they have more, but DC seems to have a pretty good collection themselves.... Marvel may have slightly more recognizable cosmic characters though...

#42 Posted by beatboks1 (7097 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the cosmic level beings of both companies. weirdly my slight preference for DC is for teh exact opposite reasons many are giving for liking Marvel more
To me  the heirachy of cosmic power should have some mystery around it, it should be beyond the grasp of us mere mortals. the so overly defined structure that Marvel have to their cosmic level characters puts me off a bit. 
DC has alluded to and done minor defining of their power structure, but there is always still some mystery to unravel. No one knows the extent of the Phantom Strangers power, how he taps that power etc. There are always "other aspects" of the entities not revealed. Some aspects lend or lead to others. To me that's how the cosmic arena should be. I love teh characters equally but to be honest I wish Marvels Cosmics still had some mystery about them.

#43 Posted by AtteraTotusSanctus (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.  Annihilation is one of my favorite Marvel stories, and it was filled with great cosmic characters. 

#44 Posted by ___Living_Tribunal_22__ (388 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, Marvel creates better cosmic entities whereas DC creates better street levelers. All in opinion.

Completely agree with that. Honestly, I know too much of Marvel's cosmic side but have some trouble with teams or organizations, especially villains, that's the core of my problem.
#45 Posted by Saren (25578 posts) - - Show Bio

Both have great cosmic characters. Marvel has Eternity, Galactus, the Celestials, etc. while DC has the Endless, Phantom Stranger, the Spectre and so on.

#46 Posted by SupermanJohnathanKentJr (300 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is obviously known much more for cosmic characters than Marvel. But after reading Annihilation, which put many of Marvel's cosmic characters in the lime light, I'm siding with Marvel for now.

I admittedly having read many cosmic comic books from DC though. I'd love to get some recommendations.

#47 Posted by JediXMan (30206 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Marvel, but I've really come to love the Endless. If they count as Cosmic entities, then I say DC.

#48 Posted by SupermanJohnathanKentJr (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone's mentioning the Endless...point some comics my way. I want to be in the know.

#49 Posted by ___Living_Tribunal_22__ (388 posts) - - Show Bio

As I said earlier in my posts, DC has more "mystical" characters, while Marvel has more "cosmical" characters.  

Do you know what both Marvel and DC need? An embodiment of time itself, it will have no way to be defeated because when the absolute destruction of entropy destroys the universe, the embodiment of time will continue instead of the embodiments of reality, space, death...because Time still exists in the void.
#50 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

...Do GLs count as cosmic? I'd think so... If Nova counts as one...