DC new 52 reader wondering if I'm missing out on Marvel Now

Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, it was DC's new 52 that allowed me to seamlessly begin reading comics and I truly enjoy reading the Superman/Batman/ and Justice League comics. Im wondering if I'm missing out on anything over on the Marvel Now front. I've read and enjoyed the first few Avengers and plan to stick with that, what other series would you say are must reads.

On top of that what New 52 comics do you recommend also. Keep in mind that I don't have time to read too much, nor the funds to afford a great number of titles. Right now my pull list consists of: Batman, Batman and Robin, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, Superman Unchained, Justice League, Justice League of America.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Might as well be Avengers, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. Add that to your already existing list of Justice League, Superman, and Batman stories, and you pretty much have the Holy Trinity of both companies.

Spider-Man is a weird book to get into right now because he's not really Peter Parker, but Superior Spider-Man is the book where his NOW stuff begins. That being said, you should definitely check out Savage Wolverine right now because Joe Mad is drawing it and it's pretty self-contained stuff that doesn't get too deep.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@nibbz: I've have to recommend Deadpool.

It's been hilarious, but has also shown us allot of conflict that Wade has while trying to be a hero. It's been a great read so far. And only 2.99 to boot.

I'd also recommend Thor: God of Thunder, which my brother gets and has been consistently enjoying.

I ended up dropping Guardians of the Galaxy because I wanted room for more titles, but I really, really, didn't want to at the same time. It was a blast.

I haven't tried it myself but also hear Hawkeye has been pretty good.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@battle_forum_junkie: I can vouch for DP and Hawkeye. I've been reading those, and they're fantastic.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye is AMAZING. The first two issues are on sale for $0.99 on Comixology right now, along with the first two issues of a bunch of other Marvel titles.

@nibbz: My favorite titles at Marvel right now are Hawkeye, Daredevil and Avengers Arena. I think all three of those titles are new reader friendly. You don't need to know decades of back-story to enjoy any of them.

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend Guardians of the Galaxy.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tikhunt

@battle_forum_junkie said:

@nibbz: I've have to recommend Deadpool.

It's been hilarious, but has also shown us allot of conflict that Wade has while trying to be a hero. It's been a great read so far. And only 2.99 to boot.

I'd also recommend Thor: God of Thunder, which my brother gets and has been consistently enjoying.

I ended up dropping Guardians of the Galaxy because I wanted room for more titles, but I really, really, didn't want to at the same time. It was a blast.

You monster.

In all honesty though the only books from marvel I read at the moment are Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy and I can't recommend them enough.

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By RawrImADragon

For someone completely new to the happenings at Marvel, I'd suggest the following three titles for someone trying to jump on Marvel Now:

Daredevil: this series has been great from the beginning but the Marvel NOW jumping on point has created a great way for new readers to hop on since it even includes an origin recap. it's a fun title that still holds all of the tension and edginess that Daredevil has always had.

Avengers Arena (my controversial choice): now, a lot of people on this site will tell you to stay away from this title and there's quite a bit of hate circling the book but I think it's a perfect book for someone trying to jump-in to Marvel for several reasons: 1) it's a standalone story completely free from all other continuity in the Marvel Universe, 2) there's new characters so you don't need to brush up on as much character history, 3) for the characters that aren't new they do a good job of spotlighting a character each issue to give you a sense of what they're all about, and 4) it's tense, suspenseful, and a pretty enjoyable read if you don't mind some characters getting killed every few books or so.

New Avengers: grandiose in terms of plot. there's a lot going on and probably more text than art, as Hickman comics usually are, but damn I've been loving this book. and if you're a fan of justice league, this is pretty much the must-buy. teamwork, high stakes, and great story-telling.

Honorable Mentions (if you got the extra dough):

Thor: a great standalone story that really spotlights Thor in not only one time period but in fact three stages of his life. the current plot line is really grand and ambitious in scope (not even sure where Jason Aaron will continue from here), only thing that keeps me from loving it a lot is the art.

Hawkeye: a book that doesn't take itself too seriously and really every issue is a jumping on point. the indie art and light-hearted storytelling is just absolutely entertaining.

FF: just pure fun.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tikhunt

What issue was the jump on point btw?

Edit: I meant to say when did it change to Marvel Now?

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By RawrImADragon
tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rawrimadragon: I go to my local store every Wednesday so I will see if they still have a copy tomorrow.

AcidHorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC and Marvel are overrated. You're really missing out not reading comcis from Dark Horse, Valiant, Image, and Dynamite comics.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

You monster.

I already feel bad, don't make it worse!

No Caption Provided

Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nibbz

@acidhorn said:

DC and Marvel are overrated. You're really missing out not reading comcis from Dark Horse, Valiant, Image, and Dynamite comics.

May be true but I've just been getting into comics this past year and wanted to visit all the characters I grew up watching in movies and tv shows.

As far as Marvel, I think I'm going to read: Avengers, New Avengers, Thor, Uncanny Avengers, and Uncanny X-Men. Probably grab Guardians of the Galaxy at some point too.

How is Iron Man? I've heard mixed reviews and issue one was extremely boring for me. Let me also say that I read Extremis from the Invincible Iron Man series a few years back and also found that to be a little boring.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@acidhorn said:

Please check out Valiant. It's so good. That being said, I recommend Thor: God of Thunder and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@nibbz: Yes you are! There are lot of great titles that came out of Marvel NOW!.

Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: such as? Thinking of reading the uncanny xmen and avengers, avengers, thor, superior spiderman, iron man, and maybe a couple more

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, I've read a majority of the Marvel NOW stuff, and with the exception of a few (All New X-Men, Hawkeye, X-Men) I haven't really enjoyed much. Then again, I'm a DC guy.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

@nibbz said:

@acidhorn said:

May be true but I've just been getting into comics this past year and wanted to visit all the characters I grew up watching in movies and tv shows.

As far as Marvel, I think I'm going to read: Avengers, New Avengers, Thor, Uncanny Avengers, and Uncanny X-Men. Probably grab Guardians of the Galaxy at some point too.

How is Iron Man? I've heard mixed reviews and issue one was extremely boring for me. Let me also say that I read Extremis from the Invincible Iron Man series a few years back and also found that to be a little boring.

Dude, don't read Uncanny Avengers, it's boring as hell.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i had to reccomend one Marvel title, it'd be Daredevil.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How is Uncanny Avengers boring? It's great fun! Anyways, @Nibbz make sure you get Daredevil. One of the top 3 superhero comic books being published right now in my opinion.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

How is Uncanny Avengers boring? It's great fun! Anyways, @Nibbz make sure you get Daredevil. One of the top 3 superhero comic books being published right now in my opinion.

It's the worst of both the Avengers and X-Men titles. That's saying a lot.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

What do you mean? Are you saying there are a lot of bad Avengers and X Men titles?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08: Not /bad/ but imo, I'm only really enjoying All New X-Men and New Avengers, the rest are mediocre, and Uncanny Avengers is even below that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolverine008

@the_stegman:

Well, I'm not going to argue with you because our opinions are subjective, but I vehemently disagree with you about the quality of Avengers and X Men titles. I think they are consistently praiseworthy month after month, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i would recommend Daredevil, Captain America, Thor, Indestructable Hulk, and Uncanny X-Men, although the last one may be harder to understand what is going on.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@wolverine08 said:

It's the worst of both the Avengers and X-Men titles. That's saying a lot.

Yea I just couldn't get into Uncanny Avengers. Found it boring also. It's not for everybody I guess. Same with Avngers and New avengers. Can't get into Hickman's writing.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nibbz said:

@madeinbangladesh: such as? Thinking of reading the uncanny xmen and avengers, avengers, thor, superior spiderman, iron man, and maybe a couple more

Such as Hawkeye (Must Read! pick up the 1st trade), Daredevil(also must read), All new Xmen, Uncanny Xmen. Also Venom, Wolverine and the Xmen and Superior Spiderman are good titles.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Daredevil, All New X-Men, Savage Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man.

but then again, I'm more DC than Marvel.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I've realized is that it's impossible to not be missing out on something great, there is just too much great stuff.