Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dragonescarlata

What do you think of this?

Coming soon: A different kind of superhero movie

By Scott Meslow The Week Hollywood's pantheon of superheroes just got a little more crowded.

On Wednesday, Warner Bros. announced that Gal Gadot — best known for her supporting role in the Fast & Furious franchise — will appear in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel as Wonder Woman, opposite Henry Cavill's Superman and Ben Affleck's Batman. It's a welcome announcement, but a report from earlier in the week, which drew far less attention, may have far larger ramifications for DC Comics' future on the big screen.

According to a source at Bleeding Cool, David Goyer — one of the writers behind the Dark Knight trilogy, along with Man of Steel and its upcoming sequel — is also developing several smaller projects based on relatively obscure DC Comics titles, including Suicide Squad, Booster Gold, Deathstoke, and Team 7. Each of those projects will reportedly be budgeted at somewhere between $20 million to $40 million dollars. And if Goyer plans to remain faithful to the source material, they may finally be the first truly adult-oriented superhero movies to make a big splash on the big screen.

It's also the first news indicating that DC plans to do anything other than emulate the same kind of cinematic universe that Marvel has built with its own stable of superheroes. It's hard to argue with Marvel's strategy, which has allowed them to amass a staggeringly lucrative cinematic empire in just five years. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America begat The Avengers — the third highest-grossing movie in history — which subsequently begat ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and turned the Thor sequel into a bigger hit than the original. But the sameness of their approach is starting to set in. As Star Trek: Into Darkness writer Damon Lindelof recently conceded in an interview with New York Magazine, injecting more money into a franchise tends to have a homogenizing effect: "Once you spend more than $100 million on a movie, you have to save the world."

Unfortunately, that effect has since grown into one of the foundations of the superhero genre, and it's reflected in both the sky-high budgets and the family-friendly ratings of the modern superhero movies. Some context: There are 38 superhero movies rated G, PG, and PG-13 that earned more at the box-office than Warner Bros.' underperforming Watchmen — the first R-rated superhero movie to appear on the list. The other R-rated superhero movies are similar oddities. There's the Goyer-penned Blade trilogy, which came before the current wave of superhero blockbusters (and which many viewers never realized was based on a comic). There's Kick-Ass and its sequel, which earned a cult following by offering a bloodier riff on superhero tropes. There are 90s oddities like Judge Dredd and Darkman, and two failed attempts to launch a franchise based on The Punisher. At the very bottom of the list are Orgazmo, Super, and The Specials — three adult-oriented, micro-budgeted oddities that never earned more than a tiny but devoted following on home video. Those kinds of movies have since dropped off altogether.

But all that repetition means that there has never been a riper time to introduce a little more diversity into the superhero genre, which feels a little more shopworn with every new movie featuring an origin story or earth-shaking threat. To be fair, Marvel clearly realizes this is a problem on their horizon: Thor: The Dark World is as much a Lord of the Rings-style fantasy epic as a superhero movie, and the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier has been described as a '70s style Cold War thriller. But despite their stabs at cross-genre appeal, each of those movies cost well over $100 million to produce — and consequently, each movie has the same larger-than-life stakes as the rest of Marvel's lineup.

By contrast, the DC Universe has the more offbeat properties proposed by Goyer, which include titles like Deathstroke and Suicide Squad. As the titles indicate, these comics are packed with characters far darker than the superheroes that have conquered the box-office in recent years. Deathstroke is a brutally violent, antiheroic mercenary, and the Suicide Squad is the DC Universe equivalent of the Dirty Dozen — a team of incarcerated supervillains sent on high-risk missions by the U.S. government in exchange for commuted sentences.

The news that Warner Bros. might be tackling some of DC Comics' rougher character wouldn't necessarily be cause for celebration on its own. There are plenty of comic-book characters — including Daredevil, John Constantine, and Spawn — whose more adult-oriented stories were ignored in favor of something with a little more mass appeal. Nor does an R-rating necessarily indicate a better take on the material; Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was plenty adult without extending beyond a PG-13, and Kick-Ass' R-rating didn't make it any more mature than its box-office rivals.

But whatever the execution, the basic concept of lower-budgeted titles based on lesser-known characters is an enormously refreshing change from the tiny box Hollywood currently places superhero comics in. There are so many superhero movies in the pipeline right now that it's time to stop thinking of them as a subgenre of the action movie and time to start thinking of them as a genre of their own — capable of telling stories that can be compelling and lucrative with diversity in tone, budget, or rating. Fortunately, it shouldn't be too hard; superhero comics have always been more diverse than the stories that have recently made it to the big screen. It's a truth that Hollywood's older superhero movies, for all their flaws, actually used to reflect — and it's the perfect time to get back there again.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Its not necessarily a bad plan.

Feige has pretty much gone on record saying he see Marvel Studios putting out more than 2 films per year, and at those budgets you can't really. So they're going to have problems getting everyone a movie.

This way we'd see more characters, which would be cool for sure. But can you make a good movie with such a low budget? Especially when someone characters have huge universes / powers / etc to explore. Guess we'll find out.

I for one though will be PISSED if Aquaman is put into a "low budget" movie >_>...Atlantis would put Asgard to shame, done right.

Glad they aren't trying to mix TV and movies though. It wouldn't work and its such a bad idea.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Here's the problem, Marvel announced a few weeks ago that they are doing Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage shows on Netflix that would reflect the gritty nature of street heroes (ultimately culminating in the Defenders). DC isn't exactly breaking new ground, just like what they're doing with Batman vs. Superman vs. Wonderwoman, they're reacting to what Marvel is doing and trying to be slick about it.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@youknowwhattodo said:

Here's the problem, Marvel announced a few weeks ago that they are doing Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage shows on Netflix that would reflect the gritty nature of street heroes (ultimately culminating in the Defenders). DC isn't exactly breaking new ground, just like what they're doing with Batman vs. Superman vs. Wonderwoman, they're reacting to what Marvel is doing and trying to be slick about it.

Marvel announced those shows in response to DC's announcement of like 6 different TV shows.

I don't see how 20-40m dollar budget films = netflix only TV shows.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I doubt this will be very profitable. Most people see these movies based on the familiarity of the character names, and as the article said, most people didnt even know Blade was a comic book movie. That will be the same situation I imagine, and will lead to less monetary success.

I do like the idea, because I want to see as many characters on the big screen as possible, but I do hope they prioritize the big Justice League regulars over these smaller movies, because A) these movies failing in droves will kill the chances for bigger movies to get made and B) I personally care about them more.

This is my take anyway.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: The Flash announcement came after the Marvel Netflix announcements.

The principle behind the 4 shows are the same as the principles behind the 4 low budget movies (what are the odds that they both want to make 4 adaptations). They both want to tell a darker hero story but they don't want to spend $100 million. One is in film format, another is on Netflix, but they're both trying to accomplish the same goals. You could make a legitimate argument that Arrow inspired these Netflix shows, but the idea that DC is doing something radically new is a little disingenuous.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@youknowwhattodo said:

@fallschirmjager: The Flash announcement came after the Marvel Netflix announcements.

The principle behind the 4 shows are the same as the principles behind the 4 low budget movies (what are the odds that they both want to make 4 adaptations). They both want to tell a darker hero story but they don't want to spend $100 million. One is in film format, another is on Netflix, but they're both trying to accomplish the same goals. You could make a legitimate argument that Arrow inspired these Netflix shows, but the idea that DC is doing something radically new is a little disingenuous.

No it didnt. The CW was announced the Flash spinoff as early as this summer.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@youknowwhattodo: the Marvel shows were announced as a reaction to all of the rumored DC shows.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo said:

No it didnt? The CW was doing the Flash spinoff as early as this summer.

The announcement of the pilot was on Nov 18th, there were rumors that their MIGHT be a Flash show in the summer but that happens every year (especially with Wonder Woman).

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@youknowwhattodo said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@youknowwhattodo said:

The announcement of the pilot was on Nov 18th, there were rumors that their MIGHT be a Flash show in the summer but that happens every year (especially with Wonder Woman).

No. The creators of Arrow came out and said Flash was getting a spinoff in the summer. We knew it was happening way before the season premiere. They even announced which Episodes he was going to show up in. 8,9 and 20. 20 was going to be a backdoor pilot.

In November, they changed it from a Backdoor pilot to a full pilot. But it was always going to happen.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@fallschirmjager said:

@youknowwhattodo said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@youknowwhattodo said:

No. The creators of Arrow came out and said Flash was getting a spinoff in the summer. We knew it was happening way before the season premiere. They even announced which Episodes he was going to show up in. 8,9 and 20. 20 was going to be a backdoor pilot.

In November, they changed it from a Backdoor pilot to a full pilot. But it was always going to happen.

You're right, I stand corrected.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/flash-may-get-his-own-show-on-cw-arrow-will-introduce-dc-hero/

My original point still stands, that what Goyer is planning isn't that much different than what Marvel did with Netflix.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By batmannflash

I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I'm not well-informed on this area of expertise.

But Booster Gold movie?! Yes please!

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@youknowwhattodo: I still don't think a Netflix show compares to a movie though.

I believe Netflix reported something like 40 million subscribers, earlier this year.

Even assuming half of them watch all the Marvel shows (and that would be a very generous assumption, given AoS is only averaging like 7m viewers and it will probably continue to go down. Arrow I think averages 2 or 3). that still isn't that much.

20 million x 8 bucks a movie ticket = 160m. Which would be great movie for a 40m dollar film, but a total bomb for a 200m dollar blockbuster like Marvel is currently doing.

Ultimately success will be defined by studios as how much money they can make with their small films. If its 100-200m per film, I'd call it a huge success. If not, then Marvel might prove smarter with the Netflix shows.

Though after tonight's episode of Arrow, I still think DC has set the TV show standard, especially after 10 years of Smallville (even if it was up and down, 10 years is a great run)

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I agree with the Arrow comment, the 2nd season has really taken the show to a new levels. There is definitely profit potential in what DC wants to do, but it's gotta be careful about making it R rating if they choose to go that route, it really does limit the amount of profit potential in a movie, case in point look at Watchmen. It was a big budget movie but it only made $184 million.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@youknowwhattodo said:

@fallschirmjager: I agree with the Arrow comment, the 2nd season has really taken the show to a new levels. There is definitely profit potential in what DC wants to do, but it's gotta be careful about making it R rating if they choose to go that route, it really does limit the amount of profit potential in a movie, case in point look at Watchmen. It was a big budget movie but it only made $184 million.

I don't think every movie has to be R rated though. Suicide Squad and Deathstroke? Maybe

Booster Gold? No way, lol.

I loved Watchmen too >_>. Though I understand why General audiences didn't.

And yeah. The greatest thing about Arrow is they finally decided what they wanted to do. Last year they wanted to be gritty, they wanted to be a comic show, they wanted to be a teenage drama, tehy wanted to be a pseudo cop show...

This year they are BALLS DEEP into comics. They drop names and references left and right and are deep into the mythos. Sure they have their teenaged drama moments, but its still the CW afterall. I don't mind it in small doses.

They may not get the huge audience being that type of show, but if they know who they are and what they want...the people who do watch will find it so much better (as I do!) :). Big arrow fanboy

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deathstroke19

Suicide Squad AND Deathstroke???????

My reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWH_m1cvTYU

*dies*

*in the after life*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODe7jmzDleA

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would love to see a DS movie. Damn that would make my year.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By PapiNacho

I don't want Booster Gold to be a cheap movie since I picture some crazy stuff going on; but I can certainly picture it for Slade or Suicide Squad.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blackdog2009

I think WATCHMEN the movie is ahead of it's time. It's an awesome, adult themed, dramatic and visually stunning movie with great acting and actors. I saw it in theaters and I'm glad I did. Movie magic. Big smile on my face as I WATCHed it ;)

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It it even possible to make a action-heavy American studio movie for 20-40 million nowadays? The closest I can think of is Dredd at 50 million.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I believe a 40 million budget for a Deathstroke movie would be more than enough.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Booster Gold is aimed for adults?

LexLuthor11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually wanted Deathstroke to be in Man of Steel 2 along with intergang and Lex. But his own movie is okay