Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Checkout this link and let us know what you think. Posted from my iphone sorry.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/20/dc-comics-diversity-crisis-why-the-status-quo-rules.html

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RustyRoy

DC didn't let Batwoman marry because they want most of their characters to remain unmarried, Superman/Lois, Barry/Iris are more iconic and loved by fans than Kate/Maggie, and DC broke their marriages too. DC's female lead titles sell more than Marvel's female lead titles, Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Wonder Woman outsell any female led Marvel title. I'm not sure if I'm right but Batwoman is highest selling title about an LGBT character. And about the changes Marvel are making, it won't last more than 2 years.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rustyroy said:

DC didn't let Batwoman marry because they want most of their characters to remain unmarried, Superman/Lois, Barry/Iris are more iconic and loved by fans than Kate/Maggie, and DC broke their marriages too. DC's female lead titles sell more than Marvel's female lead titles, Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Wonder Woman outsell any female led Marvel title. I'm not sure if I'm right but Batwoman is highest selling title about an LGBT character. And about the changes Marvel are making, it won't last more than 2 years.

Pretty much this

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RustyRoy

And about Barbara, at least she got better, how many times did Marvel kill off Professor X?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cameron83

inb4 DC fans say rant and bring Marvel into the discussion via smearing

@rustyroy said:

And about Barbara, at least she got better, how many times did Marvel kill off Professor X?

How many times did he die?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

And what did the original article do?

Many times.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL at the DC bashing in this article. DC does just as much as Marvel for diveristy.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@cameron83 said:

@rustyroy said:

And what did the original article do?

Many times.

I hate it when both happens.

I hate when Marvel fans act as if Marvel never does anything wrong,and only DC messes up at times. I hate when DC fans act as if DC is perfect and Marvel is the only one that messes up at times. I hate it when fans think that one company is better than the other in regards to matters like this when the truth is that they BOTH mess up in these areas. And I especially hate it when people act as if Indie titles cannot fall prey to the same thing (and actually do).

Still....how many times did he die besides AvX?

mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC is a diversity bonanza. The prob is America is seventy percent white and 90+ hetero. Right now DC has 52 titles. They tried to put in black characters (Voodoo, Black Lighting, Static Shock), Hispanic (Vibe) Muslims (Baz) Asian (Katana) and so on. DC is missing a humongous market, but it is not because they aren't liberal or pc enough. Look at the lineup, then identify me one pick you would recommend to an evangelical friend of yours. I can't name a single one that features anyone from their background or deals with their community. How about a conservative or a Southern individual? How about someone is Japanese? Would you really want to rely on Katana? Why not Linda Parks? Or dr. Light? How about Native American, despite all the crowing in that article, where is the Native American's representation. You see, someone will always point out some group that isn't being pandered to. But If you want numbers, roughly half the country is conservative. The majority are christians of some stripe. It's silly that all these heroes are in New york (8 million people) in a country of 300 million!

That's the bigger concern. The American market is bigger than the 27% of it that is black and Hispanic. There's a ton more Christians than Muslims. Wonder Woman is one of the big three characters, so women are being given portrayal both there and in the other big two's titles. There is one scene in Alan Moore's swamp thing when Superman goes south to die because there aren't any Super-heroes there.

And as for a single gay wedding, yeah RustyRoy hit the nail on the head. Nobody at DC hates gays or whatever. They just aren't there to write for the LGBT agenda. They're there to sell books. And in Didio's mind that means lot's and lot's of messy personal conflict. I don't know. I buy comics because I like the art form and certain authors and artists. I personally don't care what the creators believe, or whether they agree with me. I'm secure enough that Superman doesn't have to look like me for me to enjoy the books.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I can't wait to read Northstar's solo comic... Oh wait.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate when Marvel fans act as if Marvel never does anything wrong,and only DC messes up at times. I hate when DC fans act as if DC is perfect and Marvel is the only one that messes up at times. I hate it when fans think that one company is better than the other in regards to matters like this when the truth is that they BOTH mess up in these areas. And I especially hate it when people act as if Indie titles cannot fall prey to the same thing (and actually do).

Ok, but it looked like you were defending the OP. About Prof. X's death, Google it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deaditegonzo

@rustyroy said:

This.

And I am always dubious of any article shows such a high level of subjectivity. Even if one considers Marvels moves a good idea, the criticism of these changes as offensive pandering at least deserves consideration, or a mention for the sake of showing both sides of the debate.

But honesty and transparency is never goal of the media it seems.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@cameron83 said:

Ok, but it looked like you were defending the OP. About Prof. X's death, Google it.

It's fine. My post did seem heavily biased (not my intent,though). It seems that he only died during House of M (alternate reality,no longer in effect) and AvX

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine. My post did seem heavily biased (not my intent,though). It seems that he only died during House of M (alternate reality,no longer in effect) and AvX

Link1, Link2, link3

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:
@cameron83 said:

Link1, Link2, link3

I actually didn't know that.