• 96 results
Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Guys...this is the New 52. DC has already proven they don't care. Remember...?

- Alan Scott is how gay

- Stephanie Brown, Donna Troy and Wally West were just gone for over 2 years

- No Ted Kord??

- Damian is a test tube baby

- Tim Drake was never Robin

- Batman went through 4 Robins in 5 years

- The Justice League didn't let anyone join for 5 years (erasing all sorts of history')

- Oliver Queen is NOTHING like his pre-52 counterpart (all though thank god for Lemire taking over!!!

- Superman vs Doomsday.... *rolls eyes*

And now Wally West is bi-racial...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52 the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, I don't care. You can make a donut square, as long as it still fundamentally tastes like a donut, I'm fine.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wally West has always been my favorite flash i'll read it whether he's black or white. i think he has the most personality out of all the flashes. i can't wait to learn about him in the new 52.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@papinacho said:

@squalleon said:

@papinacho said:

@squalleon: Miles Morales took a significantly long time to develop and some people still hate him. Not to mention that he was introduced by an A-list creator with a lot of fan following and he exists in a universe were he matters. Ask yourself how many people would have read his book if Ultimate Peter was still alive. People say that they want new characters, but they don't because they keep on clamoring for the old characters to be more important. Look at how many people still get angry at the mere suggestion that John Stewart should be a GL in the cinematic universe. Wally is already important, and him being black gives more chance for a black character to have longevity and appeal. He doesn't have to be different in character to who he was, and there have been many character's that change in the NEw 52 in bigger ways without causing this level of uproar. It get's ridiculous, have you seen the change.org petition? Come on!

• Agreed but most people accepted him because he has his own man. And to be fair, he started out exactly like Peter, he took a while to develop on his own man. With Wally I don't see the same happening.
  • Peter was created in an age were Marvel hardly had any other super heroes to compete against. Now there are characters so iconic problem would buy their comics even if they were very badly written.
  • That doesn't say much...Plus Venditti is the bomb currently with his X-O Manowar and Green Lantern. I don't like this decision no matter who supports it.
  • Not arguing about who is the better writer, I prefer Vendetti too. The reality however, is that Bendis is Marvel's Johns and he has a lot more fan following.
  • Nobody and it is understandable but that was a different case, Miles was being brought as a protagonist not as a supporting character, I don't see how that is a good argument for you since Wally is gonna be build from the ground up(essentially being a new character not only in appearance) with only the name being the same, they could just skip the name since it means nothing anymore.
  • You don't know that Wally is going to be built from the ground up. The only difference so far is that he is black, many character;s have changed a lot more in the reboot and still have their fan bases.
  • They just lost all of Wally's fanbase(deal with it), I don't see how that guarranties longevity.
  • Again you are making assumptions about his fanbase.
  • I haven't even clicked the link because I think it is rediculous.
  • That's awesome.

I feel that sometimes we don't see the older fan's view. Suddently their universe was rebooted, their characters who identified with them changed dramatically(appearance plays a huge role in visual mediums like comics) and the company they supported for so much time trades them for short-term fans. I mean they have the right to be angry. And the fact that they are forcing diversity so fast doesn't allow the reader time to adapt.

I don't agree with this, change is inevitable. A lot of characters were changed in COIE too, and post-crisis fans hold that in high regard. DC isn't forcing diversity fast, it should have changed a long time ago. I understand that people get attached to their favorite characters but Wally hasn't even debuted, how can people justifiably complain that he has changed dramatically. Was him being white and red-haired the only thing they cared about? If so then I suppose they have the right to not buy the comic, I just think that's a ludicrous reason to like a character.

QFT

Don't compare COIE with the New52, COIE was executed much better and even then it had its ups and downs. Disagree, DC is forcing it, the moment it disregards its fanbase again and again, then it is forcing it. Again since they wanted a new character, why didn't they name a new character. People can complain since from the moment this news broke out the main writer talks about how the character will be changed, just look in the interview from the original post: "wouldn't have much interest in reintroducing the same characters with the same origins all over again," saying that "the challenge of something like the New 52 and introducing new characters is to try to tell new stories and get people engaged on an equal level with those new stories."

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@the_stegman said:

Eh, I don't care. You can make a donut square, as long as it still fundamentally tastes like a donut, I'm fine.

BAM.

Long johns are my favorite kinds of donuts in fact. And they're rectangles!

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can Donna and Garth be minorities as well now?

In all seriousness as long as he remains the same personality wise idc just wish he was a similar age to Dick

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so who are ginger kids suppose to look up to as their role model and idol now? There weren't a lot of red headed male heroes out there.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Alan Scott is how gay

- No Ted Kord??

- The Justice League didn't let anyone join for 5 years (erasing all sorts of history')

- Oliver Queen is NOTHING like his pre-52 counterpart (all though thank god for Lemire taking over!!!

To be fair, Ted is being introduced in Forever Evil #7...whenever it comes out....

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can understand Wally fans being annoyed, to be honest. Wally West is after all, not some minor B-list character, but a hero with a fair amount of fanbase. Of course, this is supposed to be an entirely new reinvention of the character, but old ties and expectations will always remain.

But hey, I'm not a Flash fan, so I say: bring on the biracial Blue Flash!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#62 frozen  Moderator

@veshark: Strange that a white person was retconned into the new reality to be bi-racial.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Veshark

@frozen said:

@veshark: Strange that a white person was retconned into the new reality to be bi-racial.

I don't follow?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#64 frozen  Moderator

@veshark: That's what happened with Flashpoint. The old characters became the new characters (like a reincarnation). So I said it's strange that the reality altering event changed someone's race.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DarthAznable

- Alan Scott is how gay

- No Ted Kord??

No Caption Provided

Yet according to Batman #1 he was which makes no sense what so ever. I hate the New 52.

TrueKing95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as wally is OP as hell with the speedforce then its all fine with me.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Eh, I feel like they could do it, and many people would be fine with it simply because it's expected that he's a red head. I do agree that I'm not sure the artist could pull it off though.

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Having not read The Flash #30 yet, I have to thank you for the spoiler in the title of this topic. You could have at least kept it vague like in the original article, but no: you just had to spoil the surprise/change for everyone.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

As long as his personality is the same, I don't really care about him being bi racial.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As long as he keeps his sense of humor and charm, he'll still be Wally to me. But if he loses that, he's not gonna be the Flash I grew up with anymore.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Just seems so pointless and stupid to me. He's bi-racial now, so what? What does that do for anyone? I doubt it's going to make him more appealing to existing fans, I highly doubt the change is going to result in legions of new fans.

And overall, if this was done for the sake of diversity, it should really have come 2.5 years ago with the launch of the Justice League, possibly the least diverse team DC has had in the New 52.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Alan Scott is how gay

- No Ted Kord??

They've already introduced Ted Kord.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ultron345

@project_worm: Didn't realize that was Jaime Reyes I didn't read alot of books during that time.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets just make a Minoriteam movie. That should have enough diversity for generations.

woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

If you were wondering if it was a conscience decision by writer Robert Venditti, or an idea by DC to promote diversity, wonder no longer.

Speaking with IGN, Venditti had this to say:

"When the New 52 started, the entire universe was reset. Fans get upset because, understandably, fans have an emotional connection to these characters, but this is also a new Barry Allen, a new Iris West -- every character in this universe is a new character. Those old versions, they're still alive, they're still there, the books that they're in still exist. I still have those books on my shelf, so I can go revisit and re-read those books. But if we're introducing new characters and completely new versions of characters, it would be strange to not introduce some radical changes. Ultimately, what we hope is that people will respond to this version of Wally West the same way that people responded to the Wally West of the previous DC Universe, which is investing in a character and following his journey and really becoming more interested in what he's all about, what drives him," Jensen said.

Venditti added that they "wouldn't have much interest in reintroducing the same characters with the same origins all over again," saying that "the challenge of something like the New 52 and introducing new characters is to try to tell new stories and get people engaged on an equal level with those new stories."

The idea of making Wally bi-racial originated with DC Comics, who asked Venditti and Jensen to make it a part of their Flash story.

"DC said they wanted us to re-introduce Wally West and they wanted him to be bi-racial, and I thought that was great," Venditti said. "I'm all for diversity and those kinds of things. It was a story that didn't derail us with what we wanted to do. Adding Wally into the series really expanded what we thought the series was going to be and has led us to take some really cool, very character-focused turns that really gave us a look not just at Wally but also Barry. Some of the most fun I've had so far is those scenes where Wally and Barry are playing off each other."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/24/writers-robert-venditti-and-van-jensen-address-controversial-new-52-wally-west-in-the-flash-30

i love dc comic that are way better than marvel

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Kazuma_Bushi

@jaken7 said:

@dratini1331: But red hair isn't natural for African ethnicities. He'd have to dye it, and that would most likely look weird.

Not true, it's just not that common. With Wally now being Bi-Racial he could end up looking like this (as far as the hair goes)

No Caption Provided

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Santa and Jesus were black and now they're white. So what.

At first I was like "this is bs, they shouldn't have changed him" but then I realized this is not "him". This is not the same Wally West that we all know from Pre-52. Just as it is not the same Superman or Captain America and other characters. Skin color has no meaning to Wally West was and who Wally West is currently.

So what does him being a black character have to do with anything when it's totally different from what we all know?

hunterzolomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so angry and disappointed at dc for pulling the football out from under us one last time. im done i cant do it anymore i cant stand the disrespect dc has for us hardcore flash fans that just want our family back, they would never make batman half mexican, its ludicrous. if dc just came and said hey we want to make a black flash, cool just make it a new character and we'd welcome him into the family with open arms.

the fact hes half black now isn't where the anger is coming from its the editorial mandate just to fuck with us and their short sided oh itll be great, they will love it just makes me want to nerd rage and burn dcs offices to the ground.

as of right now i will never buy a dc comic again i have been a loyal dc fan for 30 yrs i have 2 flash tattoos and enough flash merch and collectibles to fill a storage locker but fuck it.

if they though the dc panels were bad before with angry wally west fans they have just started a bonfire

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey_ravn: I haven't read it yet either. His new race has been common knowledge for awhile now though.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunterzolomin:

So because he is black he is less than he was before? Even though he is not who he was before?

You people are ridiculous. This reminds me of the Rue situation all over again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If my favorite character got changed I would be pissed too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the point of keeping the characters' names and powers if you want to make "radical changes" to them as well? Seems a little counterproductive. If the whole point is to radically change characters then why expect people to be drawn to them because of how they were before the new 52? Doesn't make sense.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@the_stegman said:

BAM.

Long johns are my favorite kinds of donuts in fact. And they're rectangles!

With or without cream filling?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Kal'smahboi
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the **ck wouldn't you just make new characters. That's absolutely retarded, if it's a new flash fine but don't tarnish the established images with this crap.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

This is such a great line, the internet has been conquered.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By kidchipotle
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, from Flash Annual #3 we so far have a 12 year old Biracial minor tagging walls, doing a day in jail, and who comes across as a total dick.

Hmm, not very Wally like thusfar.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.....................Maybe they made Wally black to honor a Olympic Athlete?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fairly sure the real reason this happened is because of the new Flash television show in which Iris will be black, and most likely so will Wally. I think WB kinda forced DC to make that statement.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When certain fangirls clamoured about seeing Wally be bi, this isn't what they meant.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By generator2000

So the one of the fastest men is DC is going to probably be Black? It DOES make sense.

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just surprised they came to decision. Was it pressure from the media? Fans starting shi*. Or did they just feel obligated to do something like this

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By JakeN7

I'm fairly sure the real reason this happened is because of the new Flash television show in which Iris will be black, and most likely so will Wally. I think WB kinda forced DC to make that statement.

Chicken or the egg? I'm pretty sure they were cast that way because of the decisions made by DC to change Wally in the comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Ollie will get to be his pre-52 counterpart. He's just young right now.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm fine with this.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I think considering how much TV and movies have changed the comics in recent years, it was more likely the TV show.