Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) 1 year, 13 days ago

Poll: DC Comics Trademarks "Gotham" for tv purposes, do you think a Gotham Central show is a good idea? (24 votes)

Yes 54%
No 17%
There should be a Batman show, but not Gotham Central 17%
Just want to see the results 13%

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/07/dc-trademarks-gotham/

Somehow I doubt this will actually lead to a Gotham Central TV show, but wouldn't it be great if it did? What are your thoughts?

#1 Edited by JediXMan (30630 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean Law and Order, GCPD edition?

I'd be okay with that.

#2 Posted by mightyrearranger (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, as long as Renee Montoya or Kate Kane can get married in an episode... ;)

#3 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, as long as Renee Montoya or Kate Kane can get married in an episode... ;)

Bazinga!

From a fan's perspective a Gotham Central show would be fantastic. From any other perspective I can't see how that show would get past the cutting room floor.

#4 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: I don't know, lots of people love cop shows and I can see it getting made just because of that. Its basically a cop show but with murderous psychopaths in colorful costumes, and Batman cameos.

#5 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be an amazing idea and one that could certainly help build the DC cinematic universe if they chose to tie it in like Marvel is doing with SHIELD. We could even get a crossover with the Central City PD and meet characters from there perhaps even a certain Forensic Scientist. Hell even if they dont tie it in to the cinematic universe they could at least tie it in to the Arrow universe, though in a perfect world that universe would be tied to the DC cinematic universe as well.

#6 Edited by trebean (654 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the GCPD comics were well received, and as long as they somehow manage to get Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon again then I'm in.

#7 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: When you pitch it like that it sounds fantastic. I think for the Batman cameos to work it would have to be an animated show.

#8 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: When you pitch it like that it sounds fantastic. I think for the Batman cameos to work it would have to be an animated show.

Not really sure what you mean. Why would it have to be animated?

#9 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: I say it probably would have to be animated because I don't think DC is going to just put any dude in a batsuit and I don't think Ben Affleck is going to show up for a cameo

#10 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: That's true. But they could just show him in the shadows, or have a scene similar to the one in the comics where one officer was talking to another officer filling him in on the case. The officer turned around and when he looked back the other officer was gone, and hinted to have been Batman in disguise.

#11 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

dc hasnt learned yet. like that retarded kid that keeps putting his hands of the grill. live-action tv shows suck. look at birds of prey, smallville, arrow.

#12 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Low budget TV shows suck. If they put some faith into their products and put it on a channel that can afford a higher budget they could make some seriously good shows. TV shows have the potential to be more enjoyable than movies, since you can have more time to build characters and can do story arcs that would never be able to be made into movies.

#13 Edited by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

There would be too much pressure to have Batman on the show...and knowing WB, that wouldn't happen.

If you guys want to watch a police/detective show, watch the original Law & Order show.

#14 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: I honestly don't get this argument. One of the biggest draws for the Batman movies is his villains, which this kind of show would feature regularly. Have you read the Gotham Central comics? They did a great job of showing exactly how this kind of show could work.

#15 Posted by Black_Arrow (3149 posts) - - Show Bio

dc hasnt learned yet. like that retarded kid that keeps putting his hands of the grill. live-action tv shows suck. look at birds of prey, smallville, arrow.

Arrow is awesome, but it is a bad characterization of green arrow

#16 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

Law and Order Gotham edition?

Eh, why not?

#17 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363 said:

@sinestro_gl: I honestly don't get this argument. One of the biggest draws for the Batman movies is his villains, which this kind of show would feature regularly. Have you read the Gotham Central comics? They did a great job of showing exactly how this kind of show could work.

Then again, we're talking about the general public. The main appeal of the Batman franchise for those people, of which would make up the majority of the audience for such a show, is Batman himself.

To a certain extent, that exists with a lot of Batman fans that read comics. They read comics for Batman.

#18 Posted by RustyRoy (12764 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#19 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: Actually I've never had that impression at all from the general public, though maybe it's just the people in this area. It seems to me that they care more about the Joker than Batman himself, while comic book readers actually read Batman for Batman. The show would also be able to draw in fans of "cop shows with gimmicks" so that might even it out, I mean look how many of those shows their are already, they apparently have a pretty large audience. I think a Gotham Central show would be different enough from the others to stand out while still drawing in the same crowd + comic book fans.

#20 Posted by Jake Fury (18656 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Gordon, a young Barbara Gordon, Renee Montoya...yeah I'd watch it.

#21 Posted by ComicStooge (12858 posts) - - Show Bio

A Gotham Central show would rock.

#22 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump