DC comics subscriptions Cancellations? Does anyone know why?

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ChadwickDavis

I just recently read on both Comicvine and bleeding cool that DC comics was cancelling a number of subscriptions Aquaman, JL Dark, JLI And Swamp Thing With Issue 10. I also recently received a letter informing me that another series was being cancelled one of my subscriptions as well. One subscription that I regularly read (considering that I subscribed to It it shouldn't be suprising.) Birds of Prey ending with issue 10. Does anyone know what is going on? and If so can you please let me know?

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CainPanell

Can I Get a link where this is said?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hector

@shadowknight666 said:

Link

Kinda sucks this is happening.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CainPanell

@Hector said:

@shadowknight666 said:

Link

Kinda sucks this is happening.

I Just read that anyone subscribed to JLD Is getting transferred to Dark Knight.....

WHAT THE F*CK!??!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TDK_1997

I love Aquaman and if it gets canceled I'm going to burn the DC office to the ground.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Enosisik

Wow, way to keep fans happy during a massive reboot . Lol the owners of DC are making a lot of mistakes lately. The fan base is probably to strong so they are willing to risk losing a few fans but it's still a bad move.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ChadwickDavis

@Enosisik: Wow, way to keep fans happy during a massive reboot . Lol the owners of DC are making a lot of mistakes lately.

Especially after all of the hype they made about preordering the issues before the "new 52" began.

@shadowknight666: I Just read that anyone subscribed to JLD Is getting transferred to Dark Knight.....

F.Y.I. Birds of Prey is getting transferred to Batgirl

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

@TDK_1997 said:

I love Aquaman and if it gets canceled I'm going to burn the DC office to the ground.

this and also BoP

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@ChadwickDavis:

The books that are being cut from DC's sub service aren't receiving enough subscriptions to make continuing the service cost effective.

None of the titles that have been removed from the sub service are being cancelled.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BatWatch

This whole things is odd. Afro-Warrior says it is because they are not making enough money from subscriptions, but I always though the companies made the same amount of money since it wasn't going through a middle man.

I've heard great things about Swamp Thing. Other than that, I have no attachments to these titles.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ChadwickDavis

@Afro_Warrior:

The books that are being cut from DC's sub service aren't receiving enough subscriptions to make continuing the service cost effective.

None of the titles that have been removed from the sub service are being cancelled.

Thank you for both answers.

One more question do you have a link or other source to confirm this? Especially considering that explaination makes the most sense (and I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that option first.)

Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Dex_Starr

At least they aren't canceling the series

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@ChadwickDavis:

I think i read it on CBR. I'll try and find the link for you.

Avatar image for fullmetalchobit
FullmetalChobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FullmetalChobit

So these series aren't being cancelled? You just can't subscribe to them any more? I recentley bought the first graphic of Justice League International, does this mean they're not going to bring out the second one if they only write up to number 10? If I lose Aquaman, I may just cry. I was really excited about the New 52 but DC have handled this so poorly, it's unreal.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TDK_1997

At least they are not canceling them but they are transfering them to other books.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

So are they cancelling the books or just the subscriptions?

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By minigunman123

"We know you like the series you're subscribed to, so we'll transfer you to a series you didn't want to spend the money to be subscribed to, thereby keeping your money! It's good for us, and you're a comic book reader so all comics are the same!"

I feel it is very presumptuous and a$$hole-ish of DC to just transfer subscriptions around, they should just let people resubscribe to what they want, but if you didn't subscribe to a book in the first place, what gives them the right to just automatically subscribe you to it? They're just trying to save money by cancelling the low-yield subscriptions while keeping what subscriptions said low-yield books actually had, which is really low class. I don't subscribe for the very reason that I don't want to deal with DC crap like this... Too complicated when you can instead just go buy a dozen comics at a store :\

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lvenger

@minigunman123: Are you subscribed to any of the cancelled books? It's making me glad about my choice of DC books.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By minigunman123

@Lvenger: They're just cancelling the subscriptions, not the books, and I've read some Birds of Prey. I don't love it, but I've only read one issue; regardless of how good or bad they are though they should give people the option of what subscription to switch to, I think, otherwise it's playing with other people's money.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lvenger

@minigunman123: I was wondering why DC would cancel top sellers like Aquaman and Swamp Thing. And I agree they should give readers the choice of what to read, it's their money and at the end of the day, DC are still getting money from the comic books people choose to buy. They shouldn't influence someone's subcription choice, they should offer the choice but not forcibly change someone's subscriptions for them. That's a poor move from DC.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ChadwickDavis

@Lvenger: They shouldn't influence someone's subcription choice, they should offer the choice but not forcibly change someone's subscriptions for them. That's a poor move from DC.

While I'm not happy with my subscription transfer (process as a whole), subscribers are given the option to choose which subscriptions they want their remaining comics to go to. If you don't make a selection, they automatically transfer it to one in the same family (presumably) (Birds of prey goes to batgirl, Aquaman goes to Justice league, etc.)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lvenger

@ChadwickDavis: Still I don't see why they're cancelling the ability to subscribe to Aquaman, JLI, JLD, Swamp Thing and BOP in the first place. I get all my comics via subcription (not to DC fortunately but via an online order) and if my subscriptions were cancelled by someone other than me I'd be pretty ****** off.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChadwickDavis

@Lvenger: and if my subscriptions were cancelled by someone other than me I'd be pretty ****** off.

I concur, but hey what can you do...on the bright side they did transfer the series and didnt just keep the money and cancel the subscription anyway.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, just...wow.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By TronHammer

@minigunman123 said:

"We know you like the series you're subscribed to, so we'll transfer you to a series you didn't want to spend the money to be subscribed to, thereby keeping your money! It's good for us, and you're a comic book reader so all comics are the same!"

I feel it is very presumptuous and a$$hole-ish of DC to just transfer subscriptions around, they should just let people resubscribe to what they want, but if you didn't subscribe to a book in the first place, what gives them the right to just automatically subscribe you to it? They're just trying to save money by cancelling the low-yield subscriptions while keeping what subscriptions said low-yield books actually had, which is really low class. I don't subscribe for the very reason that I don't want to deal with DC crap like this... Too complicated when you can instead just go buy a dozen comics at a store :\

That seems very dishonest on their part. It's not an accurate reflection of what the market truely desires.

Why force people to support a character or concept or idea that they may not believe is worthy of support?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lvenger

@ChadwickDavis: Well at least DC are courteous enough to do that I guess.