DC Comic Recommendations for a Newbie.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By smokeyd123

Hello humble comic readers, I come from a far away land known as Giant Bomb dot com (It's a website, about video games) and was wondering if you could enlighten me on a good jumping off point for someone not really into the DC continuity.

Since the New 52 thing went down (still not really sure what that is, even after perusing multiple wikis) I figured that might create a place for me to jump into some longer running series. It's been about 9 years since I read comics with any regularity, and even then I mostly stuck to marvel stuff, particularly Ultimate X-Men. I'm not a big fan of Superman, though I'd be willing to pick something up, and I think Batman and Green Arrow are pretty cool. If you want to throw in more obscure stuff be my guest, I'm up for anything.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@smokeyd123 said:

Hello humble comic readers, I come from a far away land known as Giant Bomb dot com (It's a website, about video games) and was wondering if you could enlighten me on a good jumping off point for someone not really into the DC continuity.

Since the New 52 thing went down (still not really sure what that is, even after perusing multiple wikis) I figured that might create a place for me to jump into some longer running series. It's been about 9 years since I read comics with any regularity, and even then I mostly stuck to marvel stuff, particularly Ultimate X-Men. I'm not a big fan of Superman, though I'd be willing to pick something up, and I think Batman and Green Arrow are pretty cool. If you want to throw in more obscure stuff be my guest, I'm up for anything.

The New 52 quite simply was when they cancelled all of their series, they started 52 new ones.

Batwoman and Justice League Dark would be my New 52 recommendations. Despite the names, Batwoman doesn't really have any associations with the Bat-Family, and Justice League Dark aren't actually a branch of The Justice League. But they're both great series'.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@smokeyd123: I'd go with Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Dial H, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Batwoman.

And I know you didn't ask for indy recommendations, but you should really pick up Saga and The Manhattan Projects

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By impossibilly

These are all pre-New52, but I recommend:

1. Batman: Year One
  2. Green Arrow: Year One
  3. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  4. Kingdom Come
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Veshark

First off, welcome to DC!

As for the present issues, if you want to pick up any books from the New 52 I'd recommend the following:

• Aquaman (Fun superhero action)
  • Justice League (Really improved since Ivan Reis came onboard)
  • Batman (Crime and horror take on Batman)

Then there's also some great trade paperbacks that you can check out. Aside from the recommendations above, I'd also suggest the following:

• JLA Deluxe Edition Vol. 1-4 (Easily the best Justice League run, epic battles and top-notch writing)
  • Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes (Great, fun story with some fantastic art and incredible pacing)
  • DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore (Most of Moore's DC work is here, including some classics like the Killing Joke and For the Man Who has Everything)
  • Watchmen (If you haven't read it already ;))
smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By smokeyd123

@Icarusflies: Thankya, Like I said, I'm up for anything really, just wanted to start with DC

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up

@impossibilly: Thanks, Green Arrow looks pretty good.

@Veshark: Thanks, Justice League sounds good from the wiki and I'll pick up those trades. I prefer them anyway

AustinHasten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By AustinHasten

The New 52 is simply a reboot of a lot of DCs titles. They scrapped the ongoing series, and started new ones.

Easily Batman is the greatest. Ever. Ever ever ever.

But Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and All-Star Western are also incredible.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AllStarSuperman

new creative teams on Action comics 18, green arrow 17 and and nightwing 17. id say pick one of those up.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Batman
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League Dark
  • Detective Comics
  • Batman & Robin
  • Injustice - Gods Among Us
  • Swamp Thing
  • Green Arrow
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

For current ongoings? Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.