• 154 results
#1 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi everyone.

Just wondered if anyone else collects the DC Chess Collection, as I can't seem to find any mention of it on here. Seems like the kind of thing some of you might be interested in.

http://eaglemoss.com/dc-chess/eng/index.asp

Scarlotte.

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

Cooooool

#3 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Cooooool

It's a great set so far. I don't know what set 2 is going to be, but it'll probably be announced soon. People on Facebook seem to think it'll be The Justice League.

#4 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been collecting the Batman Chess Set put out by Eaglemoss. I've bought them all so far, including the The Dark Knight Returns special 2-pack, the Bat Signal special piece and the chess board. I'm not sure why they chose to include the Bat Signal piece in the chess collection, as it's not a chess piece. It is very cool looking though, so I didn't feel bad about buying it.

Overall, I've been impressed with all the pieces they've done. My favorite of the bunch is the Commissioner Gordon piece.

Once this set wraps up, that's it for me. It's an expensive set when all is said and done. I can't see myself going in for a Justice League set, though that does sound cool.

#5 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

21 of the 32 pieces from the basic set have been released so far. You may have been luck online hunting them down than at your LCS. My LCS only orders 1-3 of each and all 3 of them go to pre-orders.

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly said:

I've been collecting the Batman Chess Set put out by Eaglemoss. I've bought them all so far, including the The Dark Knight Returns special 2-pack, the Bat Signal special piece and the chess board. I'm not sure why they chose to include the Bat Signal piece in the chess collection, as it's not a chess piece. It is very cool looking though, so I didn't feel bad about buying it.

Overall, I've been impressed with all the pieces they've done. My favorite of the bunch is the Commissioner Gordon piece.

Once this set wraps up, that's it for me. It's an expensive set when all is said and done. I can't see myself going in for a Justice League set, though that does sound cool.

Yeah, I didn't understand why the Bat Signal was included either, I didn't buy it.

I think The Riddler might be my favourite, but it's hard to decide as they are all great. The Batwoman piece looks like it's going to be good.

I'm probably stopping after this set too. I might buy a few pieces from the next set for display though.

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

If you can't get the pieces from a shop, you can order them direct from Eaglemoss.

https://www.eaglemoss-shop.com/DC_Chess_Collection

#9 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Hail King Joker

Sincerely,

#10 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

If you can't get the pieces from a shop, you can order them direct from Eaglemoss.

https://www.eaglemoss-shop.com/DC_Chess_Collection

I would give you a pie now, if I had one.

I suck at Chess, but this is too epic.

#11 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic: Tales of Wonder have most of the pieces in stock at a discounted price.

http://www.talesofwonder.com/sitesearch/search.php?nodecode=true&keywords=dc+chess&display_type=Grid

#12 Posted by Kesho_Ronin (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I can imagine already,batman will be queen, flash and superman will be rook, green lantern and wonder woman will be knights,and aquaman because lack of his powers will be king.and pawns will be green arrow,j'onn,robin,nightwing,superboy,cyborg,zantana and hawkgirl.

by the way the piece's look great

#13 Posted by inferiorego (25613 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I want to collect them, but each piece is like $15, and I'm poor.

Staff
#14 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

The first piece's release coincided with a Chess With Friends addiction, which is how I got started buying these.

@inferiorego: It definitely does add up. When about half the set was released, I questioned whether or not I made a mistake when I decided I had the money and space for the full set.

#15 Posted by inferiorego (25613 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly said:

The first piece's release coincided with a Chess With Friends addiction, which is how I got started buying these.

@inferiorego: It definitely does add up. When about half the set was released, I questioned whether or not I made a mistake when I decided I had the money and space for the full set.

but at that point, you're already halfway through it and you just have to bit the bullet.

Staff
#16 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kesho_Ronin: I think they'd probably go with Wonder Woman as queen though. Being a princess is probably close enough.

@inferiorego: I know what you mean. I had to seriously consider it before making the commitment.

@impossibilly: I suppose Chess With Friends would be a good way to get some practise in for when the set is complete. :)

#17 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm not complaining though. I really do like the pieces and am looking forward to owning the full set. I even bought the Eaglemoss lead figurine of the Red Hood because I like his New 52 costume better than his pre-New 52 caped villain costume.

#18 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

There were two new pieces waiting for me at my LCS today:

• White pawn Batwing
  • Black pawn Red Hood

It's kind of weird that Jason is working for the Joker in this chess set, but never let it be said that the Joker isn't manipulative.

#19 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

So if Batman is the King does that make Superman the Queen?

#20 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

So if Batman is the King does that make Superman the Queen?

The first set is just Batman/Gotham characters. Superman might be in set 2 though.

#21 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

There's now a preview of the last piece of set 1, and the first piece of set 2. And we now know that set 2 is The Justice League.

#22 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, that Superman king piece looks good. But I'm definitely out after the Batman set ends. I may pick up a couple of pawns here and there to stand in for the ones I'm not thrilled about in the Batman set.

#23 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: I'm the same, I'll just get the ones I want. Wouldn't the bases being different be a problem for stand-ins?

Who are you not a fan of, and more importantly, who do you hope will be there to replace them?

#24 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I feel that the pawn bases are small enough that it won't be too jarring to the eye to mix those pieces in the sets. In the Batman set, I'm not big on the Red Hood piece. I think they did a great job designing it, but I just don't like the idea of Jason Todd being on the same side as the Joker.

I wonder who the pawns will be in the Justice League set. I'm imagining the Big 7 from Grant Morrison's JLA + Cyborg will be back row on the heroes sides, with corresponding big name villains (Luthor, Cheetah, Sinestro, etc.) in the back row on the villains side. If they give us an unproduced as of yet Bat-villain on the pawns side, I'm hoping for Talia.

#25 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, back row bases would be an issue, but pawns might be alright.

I think you're right with the white back row. I think that's almost a certainty. Now, I don't know a lot about the Justice League, but do they not have big threats that take their combined powers to defeat? The opposite arch enemies would be a nice touch, but would that push bigger characters out of the way?

I think if there'll be any Bat-villains on the board, Talia would be a good idea. I imagine they wouldn't want to include too many characters that were already in the Batman set.

I wonder what the ratio of male to female characters will be like. The Batman set did pretty well with 22 to 10. Are there many female characters likely to be involved? I only know of Wonder Woman, Zatanna and Hawkgirl. I really don't know much about this.

#26 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

For women on the heroes side, those three feel like very strong choices. I could see them also adding Vixen, Big Barda, Supergirl and Power Girl.

As for female villains, I think the two we'll most likely see are Cheetah and Star Sapphire.

#27 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: Well, at least there's a few to choose from then. I wonder when we'll find out who's going to be in the set. I'm not sure if they'd be evil enough to make us wait for an introductory magazine with the Superman piece. It'd be better if they gave us some time to decide whether or not to continue subscribing.

#28 Posted by dondave (37972 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cool

#29 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I get the feeling that's exactly how we're going to find out what's in the whole set, the introductory magazine that comes with the Superman figure. The online store Tales of Wonder did have the first six or so Batman chess figures on their site with pictures before the first piece was released. Hopefully they'll do that again and we'll be able to see somewhat of a preview of the collection in advance.

#30 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly:If they continue releasing previews at the same rate, there should be at least six previews by the time Superman comes out. There'll probably be an official announcement on the Facebook sometime soon, so we'll maybe get some extra information there.

#31 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3582 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty cool. A JL or Legion of Superheroes inspired set would be very cool

#32 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides:Justice League set starts in May. :)

#33 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome set. Wish I had the money to spend on it.

#34 Posted by Generic13 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If it helps, the current speculation is that the first piece of the 2nd set will be free to subscribers... Hope this is true. And I had always assumed the special batsignalpiece was an alternate white rook.

#35 Posted by JediXMan (30706 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman not being the Black King or the Black Knight is a crime.

#36 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Generic13: I heard that too. That'd be a nice perk. The Bat Signal's just for board decoration, no idea why.

@JediXMan: Isn't the black side in chess is traditionally considered to be the enemy though? He might be a knight in the Justice League set, but we don't know yet.

#37 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

Preview of the Hal Jordan white bishop piece for the upcoming Justice League set.

#38 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20318 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly said:

There were two new pieces waiting for me at my LCS today:

• White pawn Batwing
  • Black pawn Red Hood

It's kind of weird that Jason is working for the Joker in this chess set, but never let it be said that the Joker isn't manipulative.

I am so getting the Red Hood one.

#39 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

Some news on the characters that will be included in The Justice League set:

"The second chess set in the DC Chess Collection will be built around the core seven members of the 2012 Justice League relaunch – Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batman, Flash, Aquaman & Cyborg.

Alongside members of the new Justice League, the white side will include the latest versions of DC’s greatest heroes from their massively successful ‘New 52’ relaunch.

Pitted against the heroes, are DC Comics’ most dangerous villains, with each being chosen as either an arch-nemesis of a specific hero or as a threat to the entire Justice League – sometimes they’re both."

So it seems like there's a possibly there'll be characters included that aren't in The Justice League. I don't know if that's a good or bad idea.

Any thoughts on who you'd like to see in the set?

#40 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

That Hal Jordan looks awesome! Must resist buying it...

#41 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly said:

That Hal Jordan looks awesome! Must resist buying it...

I don't know much about Green Lantern things, but a friend of mine who is quite impressed with it.

Are you hoping for any characters in particular, now that the new information is there?

#42 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: If they come out with a Kingdom Come Superman and Batman similar to the Dark Knight Returns Special Batman and Joker, I will have a very hard time not buying it. But regarding the specific news that they'll be focusing on New 52 properties, I'm hoping Talia's appearances in Batman Inc mean we'll get a Talia pawn. A Plastic Man pawn would be an instant-buy for me as well.

#43 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: Seems quite possible. Hopefully they'll tell us the list soon.

I'm hoping they'll maybe include a character from Justice League Dark, but that might be a bit unlikely.

#44 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That would definitely be cool. I'd buy a Zatanna chess piece without a moment's hesitation.

#45 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly:Yeah, me too. With her ties to the actual Justice League, she might be the most likely Dark member to be included.

#46 Posted by SupBatz (1746 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool set. Not sure why Batwoman is a Black Rook rather than a White piece...that's odd.

But all of the pieces are beautifully made.

#47 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14737 posts) - - Show Bio

All hail the Bat-king!

#48 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz: Apparently the preview piece is just painted wrong. The black rooks are Man-Bat and Killer Croc.

#49 Posted by Cap10nate (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

Be nice to by half of this set and the half of a Marvel set to have a cool versus set.

#50 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate:I hear there are plans for some Marvel sets. I saw someone post a list of characters they were going to use, but I wouldn't know where to find it.