DC Cancels The Movement

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Okay, so this is sad, but the Movement is ending with issue 12.

Unfortunately, this book just never found a big enough audience. The people who loved it, loved it hard, but that number was too small.

I am bummed about it, we wanted to do a book that didn’t read or look like anything else out there, and I think we accomplished that. I take the responsibility, I think it took a little while for people to really adopt the characters, which was a conscious choice but also a risky one in this very cautious market where people have to be extra careful of which books they choose.

Whenever a book is cancelled, people often get mad at the publisher—it’s understandable, but in this case, we received nothing but support from DC. They knew it was a dicey prospect, a book not set in Gotham or Metropolis with no known heroes, and an unusual core theme. They knew it was a bit risky commercially and they did it anyway, and they let us run out to twelve issues to finish it properly, when almost any other publisher would have cut it earlier on.

I have a bunch of people to thank. First, everyone at DC, but Dan Didio especially. Dan championed this book and it wouldn’t have happened without him. He said it was time we had a book like this, and he believed in us and was a cheerleader for the book all along. Jim Lee also had kind things to say, and that means a lot.

Second, I have to thank the people who inspired some of the characters…Jay Justice was a big inspiration for Virtue, I saw her cosplay Batgirl and I just wanted to WRITE that so badly that I made a character so I kinda could. Also, thanks to Jill Pantozzi and Al Davison for help with Vengeance Moth, so that her being in a wheelchair wasn’t simply a surface detail, but MOSTLY to the great B.A., who was my biggest inspiration and supporter on this character and who looks exactly like VM and makes me smile all the time.

I want to thank our spectacular editing team. I do not have enough good things to say about these guys, Joey Cavalieri and Kyle Andrukiewicz. They are the kind of editors you dream of getting but rarely actually get. They cared about the book, they cared about the readers and they cared about the characters. I know it’s hard to imagine but that is actually considered a little old-fashioned in some places. They were always 100% supportive and never changed anything except for the better. If you see a book with their name on it, you want it, it is guaranteed to be good.

The biggest thanks has to go to the art team, with colorist Chris Sotomayor and most especially, Freddie WIlliams II. I have rarely worked with an artist so dedicated, so creative and so rewarding to collaborate with.. Freddie is the reason the characters looked so amazing and unique, he designed them all (except for Tremor, who he adapted). If you want Burden’s jacket or Tremor’s cloak, it’s because of Freddie. If you recognize the characters, if you fell in love with them, it’s because of Freddie. Freddie, you amaze me and thank you, thank you, thank you, for always doing such amazing work even with a pain-in-the-butt writer like me. You are the best. And Chris, your colors made everything better, you paint emotion like no one else. THANK YOU.

I have to save the corniest, but truest thank you for the audience. I know this book wasn’t for everyone, but a lot of you stuck with us and tried to spread the good word and you made every issue worthwhile. Because of you guys, it was worth all the hard work. Thank you so much for the reviews, fanart, fanfic, cosplay, and lovely comments. They warmed our hearts over and over again.

This is the end of this book, hopefully it won’t be the end for the characters…several of them have been popular with readers and creators, and maybe we will see them again.

There are still three more issues, and they are CORKERS. Please stick with us until the end, you will be glad you did, and if we keep the numbers the same without going down after the announcement, it makes it much more likely that the Movement will appear somewhere else, hopefully somewhere awesome.

Mouse, Virtue, Katharsis, Tremor, Burden, Rainmaker and Vengeance Moth thank you all so, so much!

A Bit Of Sad News - APE IN A CAPE

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

When they released the Movement and the Green Team, they made it seem like there was going to be some crossover. Out of the two I preferred the Green Team though.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Time to make way for a new, (hopefully) better book.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

Time to make way for a new, (hopefully) better book.

Not many of them floating around DC these days

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By longbowhunter

I wanted to like this book. Gail Simone was fantastic on Secret Six and I've always liked Freddie Williams.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: It's not like The Movement was that great.

DC has plenty of fine books out right now, and the new wave in April looks exciting.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

@jonny_anonymous: It's not like The Movement was that great.

DC has plenty of fine books out right now, and the new wave in April looks exciting.

DC has about 3 great books then rest are just ok and after that they are crap

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Meh. Batman, Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batwoman, Batman and..., Red Lanterns, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League have been great as of late. And Justice League United and Batman: Eternal look very good.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@the_tree said:

@jonny_anonymous: Meh. Batman, Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batwoman, Batman and..., Red Lanterns, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League have been great as of late. And Justice League United and Batman: Eternal look very good.

Have you been enjoying Batwoman as much as you were with the previous creative team?

I haven't. :/

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Definitely not as much as Blackman/Williams and I wasn't into the Zero Year tie-in, but I like where it's at now with this Wolf Spider storyline. I just hope they do the Batman/Batwoman conflict justice in the annual.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By SOG7dc

@the_tree said:

I disagree so hard with that it hurts. lol

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: The art is pretty good, but I'm finding the writing a bit lacking. Hopefully it'll go somewhere good soon, as for me, it's just kind of feeling like filler.

I'm hoping for good things from the annual, but I'm not feeling too positive.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Not surprised by this news at all. To be honest I'm stunned it lasted this long.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing we'll see members of The Movement and The Green Team on DC's new "Young Justice" team book with members of Teen Titans.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_tree

@v_scarlotte_rose: It does kind of feel like filler, but fun filler. I think Andreyko is still finding his footing, and that he'll kick it into gear after 'Webs'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that surprised me is that it took so long.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: It does kind of feel like filler, but fun filler. I think Andreyko is still finding his footing, and that he'll kick it into gear after 'Webs'.

I suppose that could happen when you're brought in suddenly and have to think of ideas quickly.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Yeah. If it continues to stay like this then I'll be kind of disappointed, but I'm hoping he finds his own direction and starts putting out stuff that's not just good, but great.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers