• 117 results
#1 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

Which DC and Marvel character would you trade that you could see will benefit each company equally and fairly?

#2 Posted by kgb725 (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam to Marvel

#3 Edited by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

Hyperion for Martian Manhunter?

#4 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man to DC and George Clooney Batman to Marvel.

#5 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Howard the Duck to DC and Batman to Marvel

#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman to Marvel, and Captain America to DC.

#7 Posted by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Dex Starr to Marvel as the new member of the Guardians of the Galaxy

Rocket Raccon to DC as a Red Lantern

#8 Posted by Pr0metheus (4844 posts) - - Show Bio

TOAA and Batman

#9 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: If Batman went to Marvel, I wouldn't read comics.

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Batman would make Marvel (which is already great), even better. It would be cool to see how he would operate in that environment, and how his morals would clash with others in the Marvel Universe.

#11 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: that's actually a good idea, and Shazam being a kid really helps Marvel since most of the heroes there are cynical, kind of bitter and not very optimistic about anything, and he would be Marvel's answer to DC's Superman. Who would you give to DC?

#12 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I lost ya at: Marvel (which is already great).

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

@anywhichwaybutup: neither Hyperion or MM are best sellers... and in that trade DC loses big time! Not fair.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops to DC. He's far too complex a character for Marvel to handle. When they try, we get AvX.

Larfleeze to Marvel. One-note? A wasted opportunity? Exceedingly popular due to comedic relief and an easy-to-remember catchphrase? Definitely modern-Marvel material. Or WWE.

#16 Edited by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse:

I thought you said you don't read anything from Marvel? So how would you know if they are good or not?

#17 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow you guys, most of the ideas thrown here you benefit Marvel a great deal, and shortchange DC. Captain America for Batman? I don't think so. Batman is DC's number two character second only to Superman. CA? Nah

#18 Edited by MonsterStomp (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther to DC, he needs more reputation and I don't see Marvel doing anything productive with him. Marvel can have Captain Boomerang lol.

#19 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Their quality is why I don't read anything from Marvel. And my bias. And the constant world-shattering events. And the more lighthearted tone. And the less iconic characters. And how all the art looks the same. And the lack of Batman. And the animated movies. And the Dark Knight Trilogy/Man of Steel. And the higher prices, especially digital-wise.

#21 Posted by MonsterStomp (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: BP in DC would be awesome actually.

I know right. It would be interesting to see DC's take on Black Panther.

#22 Posted by Reactor (2283 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time I think about this kind of concept, it just feels... wrong. Out of place. DC characters just wouldn't fit into the Marvel scheme, and Marvel characters just wouldn't mesh with the DC universe. They're too different for any kind of permanent swapping, but that's not to say a crossover wouldn't be pure sweetness.

#23 Edited by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Marvel doesn't have a light tone. Most of their heroes are ostracized outacts (X-Men and Spider-Man), who have to deal with public hate, and are often killers. If anything, DC has the lighter tone since their heroes tend to be more moralistic paragons of hope, truth, justice, etc. I seriously don't understand "All the art looks the same" complaint. Like at all......... You don't have to read the events, and I don't get how being iconic plays into being a good character.

Overall, if you have barely read anything from Marvel yet dislike and criticize them, your opinion on their stuff really becomes mute, and you honestly just come off as a fanboy......................

#24 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman to Marvel, and Captain America to DC.

#25 Posted by ganon15 (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#26 Edited by Reactor (2283 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Marvel doesn't have a light tone. Most of their heroes are ostracized outacts (X-Men and Spider-Man), who have to deal with public hate, and are often killers. If anything, DC has the lighter tone since their heroes tend to be more moralistic paragons of hope, truth, justice, etc. I seriously don't understand "All the art looks the same" complaint. Like at all......... You don't have to read the events, and I don't get how being iconic plays into being a good character.

Overall, if you have barely read anything from Marvel yet dislike and criticize them, your opinion on their stuff really becomes mute, and you honestly just come off as a fanboy......................

That's actually a very archaic, if not ignorant, perception. And from that, I can tell you haven't read DC comics in years, or at least not in any real variety. Reason being, the contents of the bolded statement are largely false. Most of Marvel's heroes are not social outcasts - and even with those who are suppose to be, it's arguable. And most of DC's heroes are not moralistic paragons. You sound like you haven't read DC in a few decades.

#27 Edited by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor said:

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

That's actually a very archaic, if not ignorant, perception. And from that, I can tell you haven't read DC comics in years, or at least not in any real variety. Reason being, the bolded statement are largely false. Most of Marvel's heroes are not social outcasts - and even with those who are suppose to be, it's arguable. And most of DC's heroes are not moralistic paragons. You sound like you haven't read DC in a few decades.

I was making an ignorant statement to counter the ignorant statement that Marvel is lighthearted.

#28 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

TOAA and Batman

This seems fair lol.

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Batman would make Marvel (which is already great), even better. It would be cool to see how he would operate in that environment, and how his morals would clash with others in the Marvel Universe.

Completely agree, I'd like to see him interact with all heroes and villains and also some of the popular civilians. Even Joss Whedon said Batman is a Marvel character in a DC Universe.

#29 Posted by Reactor (2283 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor said:

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

That's actually a very archaic, if not ignorant, perception. And from that, I can tell you haven't read DC comics in years, or at least not in any real variety. Reason being, the bolded statement are largely false. Most of Marvel's heroes are not social outcasts - and even with those who are suppose to be, it's arguable. And most of DC's heroes are not moralistic paragons. You sound like you haven't read DC in a few decades.

I was making an ignorant statement to counter the ignorant statement that Marvel is lighthearted.

So in other words, the post was sarcastic?

#30 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor said:

@wolverine08 said:

@reactor said:

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Yes.

#31 Posted by Reactor (2283 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor said:

@wolverine08 said:

@reactor said:

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Yes.

*tips hat* Okay, moving right along

#32 Edited by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy:

Definitely. I think that seeing Bats have to adapt to this new, weird universe would make for an incredible comic.

#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@pr0metheus said:

TOAA and Batman

This seems fair lol.

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Completely agree, I'd like to see him interact with all heroes and villains and also some of the popular civilians. Even Joss Whedon said Batman is a Marvel character in a DC Universe.

Joss Whedon doesn't know sh*t.

Batman would flounder and die in the Marvel Universe.

He's far, far too complex for the simplistic nature of Marvel. They'd water him down until he was nothing but a crappy guy in a suit jobbing to Iron Man. Basically, it'd be Snyder's Batman all over again.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: RIP, The Dark Knight Returns, all of these would be impossible in Marvel because Marvel is simply not a literary world. It's a great world for telling superhero stories, but Batman is more than just a superhero.

There's a reason the two biggest icons and biggest female icon are all from DC.

#34 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: 1: Marvel does have the far lighter tone of the two. I've posted some very in depth explanations to my reasoning on this before, and I could try to find them and pull them up again if needed. Also, you just followed "Marvel doesn't have a light tone" with the example of "Spider-Man. Just saying.

2: Honestly, and this is hard to compare as a whole and there will always be many exceptions, but most of Marvel's art does use a more simplistic style that tries more to convey the story than stand out by itself. Most of it is very similar to what was seen in the recent Infinity #1. DC, however, has people from Jim Lee to Francis Manapul to Ivan Reis to Greg Capullo and many, many more, giving it a more eclectic arrangement from what I've seen Marvel offer.

3: You don't have to read the events...unless you want any of the main titles to make sense, that is.

4: An iconic character in no way makes it a superior character, though being iconic can give either grander feel, or make new readers more attracted to it as its about someone they "know." Either way, it's mostly a good thing. Also, whenever I think iconic, I think of Alex Ross's drawings of the Justice League, which is never a bad thing to be affiliated with.

5: Never call someone a fanboy that isn't a fanboy.

#35 Edited by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@pr0metheus said:

TOAA and Batman

This seems fair lol.

@wolverine08 said:

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Joss Whedon doesn't know sh*t.

Batman would flounder and die in the Marvel Universe.

He's far, far too complex for the simplistic nature of Marvel. They'd water him down until he was nothing but a crappy guy in a suit jobbing to Iron Man. Basically, it'd be Snyder's Batman all over again.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: RIP, The Dark Knight Returns, all of these would be impossible in Marvel because Marvel is simply not a literary world. It's a great world for telling superhero stories, but Batman is more than just a superhero.

There's a reason the two biggest icons and biggest female icon are all from DC.

That sounded egregiously biased to be honest. Neither DC or Marvel is more complex than the other. That's just the garbage fans tell themselves when they pick sides in this silly "Marvel vs DC" thing.

#36 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: I totally agree...until you insulted Snyder's Batman, but I still totally agree with everything else.

#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Yeah, you're right.

That's why Marvel's published comics like the Sandman and Hellblazer.

Oh wait.

#38 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: Born Again, Kraven's Last Hunt, Peter David's Hulk run, etc. Marvel has produced some great and complex comics. Same with DC. They both have their ups and downs, but neither is "better" or "more complex" than the other.

#39 Posted by Vaccine (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man for Batman.

#40 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor in DC and Orion to Marvel...A fair trade...both awesome characters..

#41 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaccine: that one is very close...good call, both are flagship... Batman is a more iconic... But for a temporary trade... Hmmm

#42 Edited by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: I think Marvel is putting out better comics then DC, I'm enjoying Hawkeye more than any DC series except probably the Flash, and I've heard Daredevil is one of the best titles on the shelf. I'm a DC guy but DCU died with New 52 and Batman hasn't been Batman since last 2 years.

@rustyroy:

Definitely. I think that seeing Bats have to adapt to this new, weird universe would make for an incredible comic.

Yeah and he's great at adapting, that would be awesome, I think he'll find more in common with Marvel characters and CA will find more in common with DC characters.

#43 Posted by MonsterStomp (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:
@wolverine08 said:

@rustyroy:

Yeah and he's great at adapting, that would be awesome, I think he'll find more in common with Marvel characters and CA will find more in common with DC characters.

Who will his love interest be? If he put together a team like he did with the JLA who'd be in it?

#44 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Born Again is the only one that can be mentioned in the same breath. The others, while terrific stories, are not in the same league as Sandman, Hellbazer, Y: the Last Man, RIP, Final Crisis, Arkham Asylum: ASHOSE, Kingdom Come, Watchmen, etc...

The very best of Marvel is fantastic stories, and some truly timeless tales. The best of DC is literature. Not to say that DC is better, as more often than not Marvel will hit the "great story" rank more than DC, but DC, when it hits its highest, is untouchable by Marvel. That's the way it's always been.

It's like comparing Black Hawk Down to Apocalypse Now, Redux. Both are excellent war films, but one is simply beyond the other in terms of depth and literary importance.

#45 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: 1.The only place Marvel is more "lighthearted" than DC is in movies. Spider-Man has a pretty bad life, but tries to make due through awkward jokes. Go read "Kraven's Last Hunt" or "Grim Hunt" and come back and tell me Spider-Man is lighthearted.

2. Are you saying that Mike Deodato, Chris Samee's, Jim Cheung, Joe Madureira, David Aja, Esad Ribic, and the other batch of Marvel's most used, premier artists all have art that look the same? Really?

3. Fair point.

4. Agree to disagree. I honestly don't see how being iconic adds to appeal or character. At all.

5. Didn't call you a fanboy. I said that not reading anything from Marvel and then labeling the quality of things you've never read as bad seems fanboyish. If I've never read an Aquaman comic, and just declare him a silly guy who talks to fish, that would seem ignorant and fanboyish, wouldn't it?

#46 Posted by Wolverine08 (38017 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: Eh, agree to disagree. I honestly don't see how DC is more complex than Marvel, or vice versa. That just seems like the type of talk I see from fans who feel a need to pick sides like kids in a playground fight.

#47 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: #4... icon status by definition translates to immense 'appeal'. I don't want to get into this, just throwing it in there. Lets not deviate from the 'trading' discussion. ;)

#48 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: The entire concept of Spider-Man was to be relatable to nerds that read comics in the 60's!!! He is not dark or grim or gritty at all! There are always exceptions or re-imaginings like the two you listed, but at his core he is not a dark character.

2: I said there would be many exceptions, but what I said previously still applies.

4: Sure.

5: Because absolutely everyone thinks Aquaman is a silly guy who talks to fish, and they're all wrong.

#49 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009: Valiant effort, but this thread has been far to derailed to be saved. :) It's like Jokergeist and Cheesestabber showed up here or something.

#50 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

How about Aquaman traded with The Submariner? I can see AQ getting along with the Avengers well, even getting to lead them. But Namor with the JL? Can you imagine?