• 70 results
#1 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

1. It focused on Jane waaaaaay too much.

2.) The other far more interesting characters including the villain were cast aside for Jane and the constant scenes of her angst.

3.) The lore was not explored outside of being introduced then never deves into it.

4.) Thor was weak, he got stomped by an orc that looks like predator.

5.) Too much love story not enough development.

#2 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

How did it it compare to Twilight... I mean the first Thor movie?

#3 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't insult Dawsons Creek like that.

#4 Posted by JohnnyGat (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

Still better than Ironman 3

#5 Posted by SheenLantern (6453 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a superhero movie.

Nobody expected it to be good.

#6 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16239 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit. I chuckled.

#7 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern:

Was it a superheroe movie? I thought it was a romantic comedy about a middle aged scientist trying to find love in the galaxy.

#8 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Tyrus (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

What are you on about? Arrow is Dawsons Creek.

#10 Posted by The Stegman (23746 posts) - - Show Bio

"I don't wanna wait,for Jane Foster to get older, cause she ages faster than us gods! I don't wanna wait, for Kurse to smash me with that boulder, cause it will mess up my hair."

#11 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16239 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21: sad that, that gif is relevant in 99% of threads nowadays

It is, their are times where I feel like I shouldn't post it because I feel like I do it too much.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24875 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman: Thor was stomped by Kurse a guy who has thoroughly whipped Thor's ass on several occasions in the comics because he was more or less specifically made to kick Thor's ass.

#14 Edited by JediXMan (30179 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean "Star Trek: The World World?"

Seriously. Waaay too much Sci-Fi stuff in there. When laser guns, starships, and lightsabers (yes, those are essentially lightsabers) are in the mix... yeah, that ceases to be Thor.

Although it does suit the New Gods. So now this movie makes me want a New Gods movie.

#15 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Gambit474 (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many crybabies..Of course Kurse was going to beat on Thor. Did the OP purposely ignore when the cursed elves were beating on the asgardians in the beginning sequence? Thor doesn't dominate every foe he faces..Especially in the comics. Lol the villain wasn't interesting in the slighest because the only interesting villain Thor's films have had is Loki. I say the film turned out fine..Thor's obviously not an easy character to pull off on the big screen

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17767 posts) - - Show Bio

Did I have fun with the movie? yes I did.

was it good? Nope.

#18 Posted by KingAres109 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if its true what the OP says then just about every superhero movie will have love interest... And Thor seems even more so...Hopefully CA is better...

#19 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingares109: love interest are fine, but not when they dominate the film. Thor is a rom com.

#20 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor two should have been called Jane Foster and Friends: A Quest For Love.

#21 Posted by Tyrus (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingares109: love interest are fine, but not when they dominate the film. Thor is a rom com.

Pssh, hardly - if you're looking for a CBM rom-com then go back to Green Lantern or the original Spider-Man trilogy. Also, there was hardly as much comedy as people (initially) made it out to be.

#22 Edited by Tyrus (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor two should have been called Jane Foster and Friends: A Quest For Love.

#23 Posted by KingAres109 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: You have to be some kind of fool to not see that all the characters were dumbed down and flat out ignored to make room for constant scenes of the jane foster story. all the time they spent over her moping could have been used to explore some more history of malakith, or the nine realms, or the effects of thors earthly visits, or any of the infinitely more interesting aspects of thor.

This f*cking movie was sex in the city with magic hammers.

#25 Edited by Tyrus (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman said:

@gambit474: You have to be some kind of fool to not see that all the characters were dumbed down and flat out ignored to make room for constant scenes of the jane foster story. all the time they spent over her moping could have been used to explore some more history of malakith, or the nine realms, or the effects of thors earthly visits, or any of the infinitely more interesting aspects of thor.

Firstly, calm the heck down. Secondly, it seems you just have some grudge against Nat Portman, lol. You're exaggerating.

#26 Edited by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

For all of you that want to know what the movie is about, let me sum it up. A kick ass story about dark elves is presented to us. Then we start to learn the after effe ts of Avengers.........then the movies takes everything good it set up, wipes its ass with it and we get to watch the Jane foster chronicles for about two hours.

#27 Posted by Tyrus (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

For all of you that want to know what the movie is about, let me sum it up. A kick ass story about dark elves is presented to us. Then we start to learn the after effe ts of Avengers.........then the movies takes everything good it set up, wipes its ass with it and we get to watch the Jane foster chronicles for about two hours.

*Sigh*

#28 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus:

I have nothing against Nat portman. I wanted to see a movie about Thor. A movie that explored asgard the people of the Ni.e realms, the effects. of the shitari invasion of earth, how the asgardians fit into the grand scheme of things and more on how they feel about being revered as gods.

There were so many good things to be had here but all we got was one liner after one liner and Jane and Thor moping over each other. That villian could have been amazing but for some reason we had to have scenes of Jane moping over cereal? Really? Who cares about her on a date, or putting her life on hold for Thor. She got more character development than Thor did. The movie was a Rom com about her plain in simple.

#29 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIIaB6kJI0

This is 100% accurate as to what this movie is.

#30 Posted by Bezza (3452 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many crybabies..Of course Kurse was going to beat on Thor. Did the OP purposely ignore when the cursed elves were beating on the asgardians in the beginning sequence? Thor doesn't dominate every foe he faces..Especially in the comics. Lol the villain wasn't interesting in the slighest because the only interesting villain Thor's films have had is Loki. I say the film turned out fine..Thor's obviously not an easy character to pull off on the big screen

This is one of the reasons why I like Thor 2. People cant complain he is over-powered and boring like they do Superman. Kurse was beating Thor because he was made to be unstoppable. Thor takes some beatings, although note, he never really gets hurt, or ko'd (he has very impressive durability showings IMO), but he also dishes out some spectacular punishment too. Also like the may that Marvel trod a different line to DC, making sure that Malekith and Thor didn't totally lay waste to London, unlike Zod and Superman in Metropolis...

#31 Posted by Cooldes (3993 posts) - - Show Bio

I loled

#32 Posted by Lvenger (19048 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it for what it was worth. Was it anywhere near perfect? No. Was it a really fun, well rounded film that improved on most of the errors of the last one and actually respected the source material? Yeah it was.

#33 Edited by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I was expecting those guys along with Sif to play important roles in this film but all I got was cameos of them. They are baller to the the 10th level yet all we got of them were glimpses.

#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman: Warning for the language. Censor your curse words next time, please.

Moderator Online
#35 Posted by sagejonathan (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

lol There was like no love story imo. Thor came back and picks up Jane. They share like two kisses, Odin mentions her twice briefly, and we see Jane a little sad in the beginning and end. This was not a love story; there are actually people that are angry that we didn't get to see almost any of the love triangle between Thor, Sif, and Jane. Malekith as a villain was very meh, but that is not the fault of Jane. They could have changed a few things and he would've been fantastic, but that's not Jane's fault at all.

Was the orc you mentioned Kurse? He is supposed to be stronger than Thor. They approached the fight scenes in a weird manner but they were still cool. Kurse is stronger than Thor in Simonson's run.

As for exploring the lore, this is almost impossible. Exploring nearly every realm would be immensely difficult. I'm actually very glad that so far we've covered Asgard, Midgard, Svartalfheim, Jotunheim, and glimpses of the other realms. It would take way more than just this movie to make people understand nine realms.

This was a great movie. No it's not perfect. Avengers, Man of Steel and Batman have set people's expectations WAY too high.

#36 Edited by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan:

Yes it was. There was no difference between this and Twilight. A mortal woman and immortal man fight against all odds and cultural differences to be together. There I just summed up both of those movies.

The movie was about Bella...oh wait I mean Jane coping with supernatural forces to be with her love interest.

The whole second act was a fish out of water tale about her trying to fit in, in Asgard and be accepted by his conservative father. But, but, dad I love her I know shes just human....blah blah blah.

Before that instead of dealing with anything far more interesting we get to see Jane of a Date, Jane sulking, and Jane not wanting to work because she misses Thor.

After we get to see Jane's journey for love as the world is under attack, and oh yeah there is a hammer in there somewhere too.

Let me put it this way, I watched the movie with my wife, and she at one point leaned over to me and said " How come they always keep talking about this girl. Why do they keep going back to earth when they could have stayed in space?"

She was referring to the love story being forced throughout in light that we have this magical realm that has its own politics and settings, and characters yet none are explored, because well, we got the Jane foster story.

"Honestly, I was laughing at this because it was very true to the movie. I'm a lady, so I can vouch for the attractiveness of the actors being a partial draw. My bf and I saw i,t and most of the audience were women, and they were constantly talking and cat-calling. We had joked half-seriously about it being a chick flick."

This comment from a google+ friend of mine that has seen the film.

#37 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (9954 posts) - - Show Bio

Well looks like Im saving 10 bucks.

#38 Posted by sagejonathan (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman: Then why are you blaming this on the movie. Thor and Jane try to be together in the comics too. Having a Thor movie without Jane is removing a major part of the character. Yes Jane was incorporated in the movie, but that doesn't make this a love story. Of course the love story exist like in countless other movies, but there really isn't much of a focus on it. She just there because she has the Aether in her; that's why she's in all those scenes. Just because she's in a lot scenes doesn't make this a love story.

You are allowed to your own opinion of course, but I think you are greatly exaggerating the love element of the movie.

#39 Posted by Lvenger (19048 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I was expecting those guys along with Sif to play important roles in this film but all I got was cameos of them. They are baller to the the 10th level yet all we got of them were glimpses.

Oh are you still harping on about the romance of the film? I freely admit it's one of the weaker areas of the Dark World but you can't base the entire failings of a film on one area of its failed romance when there's so much more on offer to boot.

#40 Edited by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan:

Jane is a very minor part of the story in his comics. Granted you can't compare because there is far more time to go into more of the drama of Asgard in the comics versus the 2 hour movie.

My problem is this, I wanted a movie about Thor, not about Thor in love with Jane, do you get it? In Batman he had love interest that played very important roles in the movies but the movies were not about that, they were subplots. Thor was about him and Jane trying to be together against all odds, and everything else took a back seat. Your telling me all the warrior three got was cameos, really? Did we need to know that much about Janes life without Thor that other characters don't get touched?

The aether could have been discovered in any number of ways by very minor characters because really in the grand scheme it didn't have to be her to find it. It could have been anyone and all of that screen time and story could have been better used somewhere else. It didn't even have to be earth, they could have had someone from one of the nine realms be the one to discover the anomaly and kept all of the action off of earth and within the realm of Thor's home and once the conflict was resolved he could have visited Jane foster at the end like he did. That way you get a full story about Thor and we get to see that he still has a thing for Jane without her and other pointless characters being given main character status.

#41 Posted by fil123 (511 posts) - - Show Bio

janes hot though so im down

#42 Posted by sagejonathan (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman: I'm going to watch the movie again next weekend and take this into consideration. I personally think that you are right about it having a bigger focus on the love story compared to movies like Batman, but I can't say I can completely agree with you still. I think the movie did a good job of exploring Thor. It covered him being a cosmic character, showed us the realms (even if it wasn't as elaborate as we expected), showed Thor's love situation, revealed a new villain, did an AMAZING job at exploring the relationship between Thor and Loki, and overall made us understand the character a lot better which I greatly appreciate.

Like I said, nearly half the scenes that Jane was in was with Thor just because she had the Aether. Just because she's in those scenes doesn't mean that its a scene focusing on their relationship. Of the top of my head these scenes include Frigga defending the fake Jane, and when Thor and Loki confront Malekith and Kurse. I can see your point that she may have taken up more scenes than needed, but every movie has flaws. That doesn't make it a big love story imo.

On a different note, regarding the Warriors Three, I stated my opinion of them in this movie somewhere before. They are great characters but... I think they are kinda too weird for the audience to really get into. It applies similarly even in the Thor comics, where they are really cool to have, but when they get almost as much focus and time as Thor, it detracts from the story just because quite honestly not THAT important. I will admit that I wish Sif got more screen time though. Now I know what you are about to say. You can say the same about Jane! Well, yes I suppose, but Jane and Sif are a lot more important to Thor's story than the Warriors Three. The Warriors Three are mostly there in the comics for either comic relief or to show how bad@ss they are but not much more. This is coming from a Thor fan btw.

If I were to make divisions about what the movie was about I'd say 40% was the classic "let's stop the bad guy" idea, 20% was exploring Thor and Loki as well as their relationship, 10% was introducing different realms/exploring Asgard a bit/showing off cosmic stuff, 20% Jane and Thor love story, and 10% other stuff.

#43 Posted by joshmightbe (24875 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to calm down. So they made a movie you don't like, big deal quit acting like they beat up your mom.

#44 Posted by Cap10nate (2200 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a little disappointed with the movie. I think my favorite part was when Loki turned himself into Cap. It was definitely entertaining but I think too much time was spent on earth for my tastes.

I was disappointed with the Kurse fight. Not at all because he lost but by how little of it there was. Another couple of minutes of melee fighting would have been cool instead of the couple punches and rock throw. I think they spent more time showing people drop things into the portal than they did for the fight.

There was a little too much slap stick in the final fight for me. In the battle to save the entire universe, I think the theater started laughing 3 or 4 times.

I liked the role that the Warriors 3 played in the final plan but do wish that we could have seen more of them.

#45 Posted by Pantherman (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: Thor as a character was not really touched on. The nine realms were mentioned not explored. The closet we got was the beginning fight when Thor liberated that village. Jane and earth all together were unnessecary.

I also agree with you 150% that sif should have had more screen time. It would have kept the movie in asgard and given us much more in terms of thor.

Your telling me that Thor with all his rich history, the rune sedtones, rag

narok, all the threats to his kingdom can't have a good movie in which he and asgard are the main focus? Why even need to go back to earth? The Avengers already established the dynamic.

I'm just fed up with marvel treating there movies like jokes. With the exception of spiderman 1&2 and x men 1&2 Marvel makes mushy cookie cutter one liner fill movies.

#46 Edited by Gambit474 (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman said:

Pretty sure that calling me a fool and attempting to insult me is against forum rules..I'd recommend you quit your nerd raging and grow up some. Jane got the Aether in her so how was the focus not going to be on her? "Hey she just got possessed by the Dark Elves weapon..Let's just totally ignore her for right now and focus solely on the Dark Elves who would be doing absolutely nothing until they discovered that the weapon was active again,Thor doing who knows what with all the other realms,and Volstagg stuffing his face." History of Malakath? The dude wanted to bring darkness to the world..There really isn't much more they could've done with that. You complaining about Thor and Jane would be like complaining about Superman and Lois Lane. Why explore the other realms? What relevance would that serve? IMO the films should be building up to how they connect to Avengers Age of Ultron and when Thanos comes on later..The other realms aren't going to bring anything to the table when it comes to involving those two. It's not like the Earth is safe..IM 3 showed that and as I already mentioned Ultron later on will show that Thor's time on Earth is no where near over

Also Marvel didn't own the rights to the Spider-man films or the X-men films so bringing them up in comparison to a film of a character they do own isn't really helping your case.

#47 Posted by sagejonathan (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

@pantherman: They did explore Thor. They proved that he was meant for cosmic epics, they showed his love life situation, we learned that Thor doesn't want to be a king, and we learn his true feelings towards Loki. I think you didn't get what you expected so your disappointed. Maybe they should have gone more in depth about Thor specifically, but you can't say that nothing about Thor was learned in this movie.

I dream of the day when we can have a perfect Thor movie, but it has to be taken in steps. The first Thor was mediocre because it was almost exclusively on earth. The scene in Jotunheim was awesome, but besides that it was rather pathetic. That was the introduction. Now we have a big step forward where, yes we still are on earth but we were also on Svartalfheim (although it was admittedly plain), we got the first fight scene (I can't remember which realm), we got a closer look at Asgard, and we got glimpses of the other realms. I expect Thor 3 to go even farther, but the audience can't be completely alienated because quite frankly, a lot of them are ignorant in the sense that they are not accepting of something different. This is the first Marvel film that has gone this far into cosmic territory and Guardians of the Galaxy will trek even farther, but they can't just confuse half the viewers.

And they aren't treating their movies like jokes. If we are talking about the large amount of comic relief, they are trying to keep the movies fun. I admit that they go to far sometimes though. Iron Man 3's Mandarin was just insulting, and the scene where Thor takes the train is just ridiculous. However, adding some comedy is a positive aspect of the films.

#48 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

You're wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself.

#49 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (21632 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay this is pretty legit. I still enjoyed the movie though.

#50 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

the movie needed more lady sif plus she's hot. jane whines too much, other than that the movie was great i thought. i added to my list of movies to buy.