#1 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't watch this film when it came out in 2003, because I didn't care for DD back then and didn't know bad-a** he was until I read his comics.

So, I'm thinking of watching it now but from what I hear on the web it's horrible. Is that true? Or is it actually worth seeing??

#2 Edited by HumanRocket (8190 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't enjoy the movie at all. Ill say this I've read some DD not all I'm not that big of a DD fan but I've read enough to have a sence of how the DD Bullseye rivalry should be and the movie doesn't live up to it. If your expecting to see what you read in the comics than dont watch the movie you will be dissappointed. If you not that big of DD fan and just want to see the movie and your not expecting much than push play and watch the movie.

#3 Edited by Uncanny_Doom (457 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that bad, but it is bad. The movie can't find a balance in tone. There's really silly scenes (First fight between Daredevil and Elektra, Colin Farrell's Bullseye), but then a lot of attempt to be as dark as PG-13 possibly can be. I didn't have a problem with Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin, and the action was decent.

#4 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

If you really like DD that much you should probably watch it just to be informed and have an opinion. That and you'll likely appreciate the one Marvel does eventually that much more.

#5 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11122 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh...It's a Meh movie at best,If you're DD fan you might as well see it.

#6 Posted by nappystr8 (1108 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't listen to the haters. It is a great film, especially if you think of the context of the time it was made in; there's a lot of alternative metal and leathery costumes. The bar has risen in current years, but this still mostly holds up. People hate it because it came out during the time when it was cool to hate on Ben Aflek, but he does a really good job at embodying who Matt Murdock is.

How much you like it might depend a lot on what Daredevil you've been reading though. My guess is you've been reading the Waid stuff, in that case, this might not be the Daredevil you've come to expect. But if you are familiar with the Bendis, Brubaker, Miller runs, it is a movie that fits in very well with that darker take on the character.

#7 Edited by Donovan Montgomery (5446 posts) - - Show Bio

As a long time DD fan I say watch it. There are parts I was disappointed in *coughcostumelessbullseyecough* but over all it's decent enough.

#8 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62: It's not terrible, but compared to most (if not all) comic movies that have came out since it doesn't really hold up. I will say that I think Michael Clarke Duncan did do a great job as Kingpin, and Jon Faverau (sp?) was good as Foggy but besides that it's mostly average at best, but if you are a fan of DD, then I recommend you still watch it. I hope I helped.

#9 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

GET THE DIRECTOR'S CUT!!! Watched it over the weekend and its SOOOOOOO much better. Much more grim than the original.

#10 Posted by JediXMan (30647 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like it... though I'm in the minority.

#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

i tought it as good/okay. its much better than catwoman, elektra, FF, FF rise of SS,

#12 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (457 posts) - - Show Bio

i tought it as good/okay. its much better than catwoman, elektra, FF, FF rise of SS,

Throw a rock and you'll hit a movie better than those. >_>

#13 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

Throw a rock and you'll hit a movie better than those. >_>

and Amazing Spider-man to the list of crappy movies

#14 Edited by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8: I've read the runs from Bendis, Miller, Brubaker as well as Waid. I prefer the darker Batman-esque Daredevil.

So I'm guessing it's overall just average sorta like Iron Man2?

#15 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: I don't think TASM was that bad. I loved the Raimi films better, but TASM was not bad at all.

#16 Posted by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, what do I know.

#17 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62 said:

@nappystr8: I've read the runs from Bendis, Miller, Brubaker as well as Waid. I prefer the darker Batman-esque Daredevil.

ive honestly never read a daredevil comic. um id rewatch daredevil twice before watching IM2.

@jj62 said:

@allstarsuperman: I don't think TASM was that bad. I loved the Raimi films better, but TASM was not bad at all.

oh well i didnt like it but whatever thats my opinion.

#18 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch it, what have you got to lose.

#19 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

Heard the Director's Cut was worth it.

#20 Edited by DarklyDreamingDeadpool (174 posts) - - Show Bio

watch the director's cut, it's far away from a perfect dd movie, but much better than the theatrical cut. it got more story and a better matt murdock.

#21 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people say it is, but it's definitely not good either. If you're a big fan of the character it might be worth a watch, or if your like me and try to watch every comic based movie. Basically they try to cram the entire Elektra Saga into a 90 minute movie, which ultimately makes it feel rushed and doesn't leave much room for good character development. The end result is a very 'meh' movie.

Elektra, however, really is a terrible piece of crap that should be avoided.

#22 Edited by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of Ben Affleck the actor (back then anyway)

#23 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I disliked the movie myself(2/5) but still if you want to see it, watch it. It can't be worse than X-Men Last Stand...Right? Am I Right?

I have not seen the Extended and since I heard its better definitely try that version if you have too.

#24 Posted by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people on a site like this overreact when it comes to comicbook movies. It was either fantastic or terrible, no in between.

On my movie scale of 0-10, anything below 5 isn't worth watching. With that in mind, I would put this one comfortably at 5.3. So while it's not great, there is entertainment to be had.

#25 Edited by i_like_swords (14534 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually thought it was a really decent movie. At least a 7.

#26 Posted by Derfel (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually thought it was a really decent movie. At least a 7.

I have to agree with that

@jj62 said:

I liked Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy if that counts for something =P

#27 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62 said:

Iron Man 2 is better than Daredevil. If Iron Man 2 is sorta "average" (which I think is a good way of describing it), then Daredevil is "mediocre." Not as god-awful as some comic book movies, but certainly not a flick you're going to watch multiple times. It's worth a library rental, but not a purchase.