• 102 results
#1 Posted by royers13 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else disappointed that we never saw a full on fight between Cyclops and Captain America in AVX? I know we saw a little bit, but was really disappointed that we never saw an all out one-on-one brawl between the two.

#2 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@royers13: This should be in the Gen Discussion thread, bud. But I get what you're saying, but their battle was more about ideology and tatics on a team level, which quite frankly I think Cap won.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Scott had the powers of a God for about half the duration of the silly "event"? And the other half he had a team of X-Men standing between him and Cap?

#4 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@royers13: This should be in the Gen Discussion thread, bud. But I get what you're saying, but their battle was more about ideology and tatics on a team level, which quite frankly I think Cap won.

Cyke won on tactics hands down, as usual they actually show Scott's tactical side and we see Roger's usual tactic of brainlessly rushing at people. Neither lost on ideology since neither backed down and both got what they wanted.

#5 Posted by Wonder_Captain (69 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

#6 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

This so much. AvX has cemented my hatred for that douchebag Scott.

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16607 posts) - - Show Bio

Just out of interest when did Scott become a douche? I haven't followed X-men in a looooooooooooooooong time but the Scott I saw in AvX wasn't the one i'd seen previously. So when exactly did he start having a superiority complex?

#8 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Just out of interest when did Scott become a douche? I haven't followed X-men in a looooooooooooooooong time but the Scott I saw in AvX wasn't the one i'd seen previously. So when exactly did he start having a superiority complex?

He's been like that for several years. You wanna know what else he's done? Left the woman he was married to in order to be with Jean Grey, cheated on Jean with Emma, started a team of killers to take care of threats the X-Men couldn't by lethal means, encouraged a young mutant girl to kill and more. I hate Scott now a lot.

#9 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: If you're talking about Idie, he didn't encourage her to kill. He said do what she felt necessary and her life and plenty of others were in danger so she killed.

#10 Posted by Strider92 (16607 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I was aware of the whole Emma cheating thing but damn he sure has gone downhill -.o. Funny thing is I never liked Frost either so when they got together I was like: "Yes the two people I like the least hooked up! They can be the couple I love to hate!" lol.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Yes I am and the way he described the situation was way on the side of 'Kill these guys for the greater good' line.

#12 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: I'm not a big Emma fan either. A small smile crept on my lips when she died at the end of Wolverine and the X-Men.

#13 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: He didn't tell her to kill which is the point. He said do what was necessary. If she just merely incapacitated them then there would be no difference to how he felt.

#14 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

He doesn't you will get people who dislike him for various reasons some decent (preferred old Cyke) some petty (he one upped a character they like) but he is more popular know than he has ever been because writers where willing to take risks that could have ruined him that they wouldn't have taken with more popular characters and they paid off. Everyone looked like a d*ck if you read only AvsX but if you read Uncanny he came off like a boss.

#15 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Strider92 said:

He doesn't you will get people who dislike him for various reasons some decent (preferred old Cyke) some petty (he one upped a character they like) but he is more popular know than he has ever been because writers where willing to take risks that could have ruined him that they wouldn't have taken with more popular characters and they paid off. Everyone looked like a d*ck if you read only AvsX but if you read Uncanny he came off like a boss.

I don't think arrogant, pretentious psychopath counts as being a boss. Scott's been turned him into such a prick.

#16 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Cap fan?

#17 Posted by SlimJ87D (10060 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

Dex_Starr, is that you?

#18 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people (the writers) are stupid, That's why everyone does everything and everything happens.

#19 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlimJ87D said:

@Dextersinister said:

Dex_Starr, is that you?

I've got that a few times but no.

#20 Posted by Killemall (18598 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlimJ87D said:

@Dextersinister said:

Dex_Starr, is that you?

I am quite certain he isnt Dex_Starr, one's a troll and very absuive, Dexter on the other hand is surprisingly humble and reasonable (unless Dex_Starr suddenly has multiple personality disorder). Also Dex was IP banned by Ktm4.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

Not really. He did a lot of things wrong in AvX due to poor writing. But he was better than Cyclops in AvX.

#22 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Depends on your perspective. A lot of people sided with Cyclops on things lately feeling too many characters have become hypocritical but forced to be the good guys. Emma puts things into perspective with the X-Men and the Avengers. She said it a couple years ago but the point still stands.

No matter what? Even genocide? Seems legit.

The entire mutant race was decimated because of the Scarlet Witch. The mutant population dwindled from many to barely 200. Scott over the years started operating in a more grey area because it became survival. So he started X-force to kill possible threats to mutants but when it was found out, he stopped it. But who started it back up? Wolverine. Who still kills people? Wolverine. Who works for the guy who chastised Scott for his methods and then left him to work for the guy still running X-Force by night and has killed people himself on an Avengers mission? Beast. So, honestly, plenty of X-Men have developed superiority complexes but Cyclops seems to get the brunt of it.

Cap never did anything. She is an Avenger now and got off scot free. Who showed up on their island and demanded Cyclops' granddaughter instead of calling him asking for help? Cap. Who had an entire Helicarrier full of Avengers? Cap. Who was dense enough to shoot first and not try and resolve something logically as well? Cyclops. Who operated in the grey area? Cyclops. Who was willing to risk the planet to repopulate mutants? Cyclops. But Cable was the wild card. Cable came back because he was told the Avengers would kill Hope in the future. Cable ended up telling Scott to keep Hope safe and that a war with the Avengers was coming so Cyclops was also doing what his son had asked. He was being a parent.

Cyclops and Emma are my fave characters but I still love Cap and Wolverine too so I'm trying to see things on both sides here. In the end, they both had their own goals and both sides have valid points and their faults. It comes down to perspective IMO.

#23 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@SlimJ87D said:

@Dextersinister said:

Dex_Starr, is that you?

I am quite certain he isnt Dex_Starr, one's a troll and very absuive, Dexter on the other hand is surprisingly humble and reasonable (unless Dex_Starr suddenly has multiple personality disorder). Also Dex was IP banned by Ktm4.

Apparently Dex_Starr was a really nice guy and a top user until he snapped and turned to the troll side.

#24 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@SlimJ87D said:

@Dextersinister said:

Dex_Starr, is that you?

Cheers

#25 Edited by Killemall (18598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Apparently Dex_Starr was a really nice guy and a top user until he snapped and turned to the troll side.

While he wasnt as horrible as he got after being banned by DarkHuntress, he was always extremely biased and a little rude.

#26 Posted by SlimJ87D (10060 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@Lvenger said:

While he wasnt as horrible as he got after being banned by DarkHuntress, he was always extremely biased and a little rude.

Yep, tell me about. The guy was only nice if you were on his side in a debate. But I've seen him turn on someone that was supporting something but disagreed with one of his arguments.

I've debated and defeated him on numerous occasions. Wow, that sounded so dramatic.

#27 Edited by buttersdaman000 (9776 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

@Strider92 said:

He's been like that for several years. You wanna know what else he's done? Left the woman he was married to in order to be with Jean Grey, cheated on Jean with Emma, started a team of killers to take care of threats the X-Men couldn't by lethal means, encouraged a young mutant girl to kill and more. I hate Scott now a lot.

I don't really remember these older stories but.... 

1. There were extenuating circumstances surrounding the reason why he left Madelyn.... 
2. Do you remember that Jean was in love with Wolverine too??? Would you expect any man to want to share his woman?? 
3. Really I always saw this as the most petty reason to hate Scott. He did what had to be done and I bet peoples tunes would change if it were led by mutants like Wolverine, X-23 and so on 
4. Godspawn already explained that Scott only told Idie to do what she thought was right 

So why do you hate Scott?? 

@god_spawn:  
Thank you!  
Cap and Wolverine are the biggest hypocrites of all time lol
#28 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the 90''s: I don't like scott cause he's soft

Now days: I don't like cause he's not soft

#29 Edited by Strider92 (16607 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I'm not defending anyone the Avengers are pretty stupid at times and I don't doubt that Emma and Scott do have their moments like quite a few other characters but I just find them unlikable. There's probably characters that you dislike that I like its not really a set in stone thing. I just can't find anything likable about them.

Scott supporting the Pheonix's return however seemed very weird considering what its done in the past.

#30 Posted by logy5000 (5829 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunno, it would be a good fight.

#31 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@god_spawn: I'm not defending anyone the Avengers are pretty stupid at times and I don't doubt that Emma and Scott do have their moments like quite a few other characters but I just find them unlikable. There's probably characters that you dislike that I like its not really a set in stone thing. I just can't find anything likable about them.

Scott supporting the Pheonix's return however seemed very weird considering what its done in the past.

Why was it weird? with the exception of the D'bari star system being destroyed by Dark Phoenix, what has the Phoenix done in the past? Saved the universe, how the destruction of a one star system can now discount the fact that before that she saved all that is, is beyond me. Rachel has used the Phoenix to save the universe and all Earths from Necrom. White Phoenix saved 616 and got rid of Sublime. Jean and the Phoenix burned away inferno and saved the universe again. But all people seem to dwell on is the destruction of D'bari. They knew from Warsong that the Phoenix was the best way to protect mutants as it was in Warsong to destroy the Cuckoos because Sublime created them to destroy the mutant race. So I don't think it was weird at all for him to support the return of Phoenix especially since Endsong, he knew that Jean was now a part of it, so why wouldn't he think he could get help from it? It was never his intent to harness the Phoenix for himself, now that would have been stupid. He knew it came for Hope and was ready for her to accept it, the Avengers got in the way of that and the Phoenix was split and decided to take them instead of Hope. Turns out he was right and with Hope the Phoenix did restore the mutant gene, had Tony not decided to become a Phoenix expert based on a cross-time adventure involving Dark Phoenix, the Phoenix would have simply taken Hope and restored mutants, no war between super teams, just more mutants.

#32 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: He risked the entire planet on a wild gamble based on the PF, he's veered incredibly far off from his original character and acts all high and mighty when in fact he's become the new Magneto. Not only is he amoral now, he's an amoral prick. Hence Scott has moved to my number one most disliked comic book character.

#33 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9776 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:

@buttersdaman000: He risked the entire planet on a wild gamble based on the PF, he's veered incredibly far off from his original character and acts all high and mighty when in fact he's become the new Magneto. Not only is he amoral now, he's an amoral prick. Hence Scott has moved to my number one most disliked comic book character.

The Phoenix was really only a threat once and Scott, unlike most comic readers and the Avengers, realized this. So he didn't risk the planet based on a wild gamble, he knew exactly what would happen.....and he was right! Scott hasn't veered off at all either, he's grown. It's not like he did a complete 180 or  something. And while he has become more like Magneto he certainly hasn't "become" Magneto. If you think he's a prick then fine, Leaders of Scott's caliber often alienate their following....Love or Hate lol. 
#34 Posted by Lvenger (20253 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@Lvenger said:

The Phoenix was really only a threat once and Scott, unlike most comic readers and the Avengers, realized this. So he didn't risk the planet based on a wild gamble, he knew exactly what would happen.....and he was right! Scott hasn't veered off at all either, he's grown. It's not like he did a complete 180 or something. And while he has become more like Magneto he certainly hasn't "become" Magneto. If you think he's a prick then fine, Leaders of Scott's caliber often alienate their following....Love or Hate lol.

It destroyed a planet on the way here. It has a history of being a threat. So it wasn't only a threat once in the Dark Phoenix saga. And the only reason he was right is because the event was written that way. It would be just as plausible to have Hope try and destroy the planet just as Jean or Cyclops did with the PF but I predicted they'd do the whole restore mutants thing anyway. Scott's growth has been in the opposite direction. Rather than being a likeable character, he's become the lynchpin of blame amongst the X-Men. And becoming like Magneto basically counts as being the next Magneto. He is now what Magneto was once to the X-Men.

And Scott doesn't possess any caliber at all now. He is a poor excuse for a leader. You can say he's a controlling, callous leader but so were many of history's conquerors. And they weren't nice people. Scott had no right to risk the lives of 6-7 billion people based on a wild gamble that the characters didn't know what the outcome would be. All of these are perfectly valid reasons why Scott is an unlikeable character.

#35 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

He was working off the word of his time travelling son, if I was a betting man I would put my money on the time travelers horse.

On the OP's original question they tend to avoid giving a clear answer on who would win between 2 popular heroes unless it's clearly obvious like the Hulk vs Hawkeye, also writer favouritism. I try not to judge to often on street leveler vs street leveler anymore because I consider anyone with below Spiderman reflexes dodging bullets complete PIS.

#36 Edited by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Cyclops wasn't "risking the planet", Earth was already at risk because the phoenix was en route. Like I said in the scarlet witch thread, you can't blame Cyclops for the phoenix coming anymore than you can blame any of us for an asteroid heading toward Earth.

If anything, the Avengers put the planet at risk by:

1. Attempting to destroy the phoenix force, twice.

2. Provoking the phoenix hosts.

The latter of which was the cause of much phoenix based destruction in the past.

#37 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6384 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn:

Honestly, I think <genocide> was a strong word.

As is emphasized recently, the mutant race or 'mutants' if you will, didn't get wiped out or anything, their powers disappeared. Not them. The majority simply went from 'homo superior' back to 'homo sapien' (and seriously, after labeling an emerging evolution as 'superior' they wonder why they're disliked just a little?)

Now, their powers are reemerging.

Unless you're referring to what happened in Genosha?

And finally, for the purpose of this thread (these comments are not directed at you), Cap and Cyclops did fight ... and the fight went exactly as it should have IMHO. Scott blasts Steve, Steve blocks with shield, runs up to Scott faster than he can react and slams his shield in his face. Even knocked Scott down with a shield throw a little later on in the scuffle if I'm not mistaken. (With a splash of realism, getting hit in the head like that would have at the minimum resulted in a concussion ... but hey, Scott's gone toe to toe in melee with Wolverine so we can add a modicum of superhuman durability to his list? Lol.)

#38 Posted by PlasticBag (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Scott needs to just die.. he is a douche! I think they need to just lock angry Hulk and Scott into a room and let Hulk teach Scott a lesson

#39 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_SoldierXII: I don't think it is a strong word, but whatevs. To each his own on this subject. I've said all I need to and I'll leave it at that.

#40 Posted by royers13 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha, I like how this turned into a "Cyke is a d*ck" forum. But back to my original question, Why didn't we see him a captain go one-on-one. the only real images we see are at the very beginning of the conflict and when Cap and Wolverine are double teaming him on the moon. Cap vs Cyke is the battle that I was most looking forward too. The two big Marvel Team leaders facing off in combat. 

And it might be said that they faced of in tactics of team work, but deciding who won in that essence still doesn't work. Speaking of the events before the Phx 5, Cyclops handled most stuff as a General where as Captain America handled stuff like a Captain, Who would have known. In tactics of the Big Picture, I'd say Cyclops won hands down. In combat on the battle field Captain won. But where they were both on the battlefield, you can't really compare because at any point when this happened, Captain America had more people on his side.

#41 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

@royers13: To answer your question as simply as possible. The writers didn't want them to. Unless you count Scott shooting and Cap running through to bash him in the face.

#42 Posted by VeganDiet (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Scott is a huge douche now, I still love reading him. He's like 10 times more interesting as a dick than he was as a "pure" good guy

#43 Edited by Outside_85 (9203 posts) - - Show Bio

Its funny how some say Scott was right and all that before they claim he 'won', because the Avengers were also right and as they feared the Phoenix nearly torched the planet. Scott however was just more of a genocidal maniac that would gladly have killed a lot of people it it meant he'd win, so he killed Xavier and x amounts of bystanders during his tantrum before others gave him what he wanted.

#44 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

Its funny how some say Scott was right and all that before they claim he 'won', because the Avengers were also right and as they feared the Phoenix nearly torched the planet. Scott however was just more of a genocidal maniac that would gladly have killed a lot of people it it meant he'd win, so he killed Xavier and x amounts of bystanders during his tantrum before others gave him what he wanted.

I don't think you hold it against him when he was possessed against his will by a cosmic force that was never ment for him. Xavier being there was a joke, the guy accomplished nothing in AvsX, hasn't been relevant in years and was literally brought in just to die.

#45 Posted by Outside_85 (9203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister: Actually I will because quite a lot of the things Scott did and said as a Phoenix was the same things he said when it was just Scott, the comparison to Magneto is older than this event after all. Also he blew off Hope only a day or so after the P5 emerged if you remember? And perhaps Xavier has not been the most massive influence in the most recent years, but his death just cements how far out Scott was that he'd do it.

#46 Posted by tahmidk (283 posts) - - Show Bio

cyclops was right!! i was laughing out loud on avx consequences when wolverine of all people was lecturing cyclops on killing people and murder, and dont even get me started on cap trying to act like a hero and make cykes out to be a villain and then imprisoning him! scarlett witch didnt spend a day in jail just because she was an avenger, not to mention the entire event and creation of the phoenix five was the cause of the avengers. Theyre a bunch of sanctimunious self righteous hypocrites. This event made Cap look like a thug and made me and many other peopke that go to my local comic store cyke fans

#47 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap, Cyclops, and Wolverine should just go on a date and settle their differences over some beers. These guys don't go out enough that's why they're so bitchy D:

#48 Posted by Dextersinister (6197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@Dextersinister: Actually I will because quite a lot of the things Scott did and said as a Phoenix was the same things he said when it was just Scott, the comparison to Magneto is older than this event after all. Also he blew off Hope only a day or so after the P5 emerged if you remember? And perhaps Xavier has not been the most massive influence in the most recent years, but his death just cements how far out Scott was that he'd do it.

You say that like it's a bad thing, Cyclop's was the member of the P5 who kept his sh*t in order the longest, he refused to kill anyone until he lost control, helped people and only targeted the Avengers after they attacked them for a second time, Cyclop's was portrayed as a good guy up until his second dose. Him blowing off Hope was just one writers inconsistency as one of the the first things he said when after becoming possessed was that he needed to prepare Hope. Bar that one poorly worded piece of dialogue Scott showed no intention that he didn't want to give Hope the phoenix all the way up to becoming Dark Phoenix, he is constantly trying to track her down and after the second last Phoenix hit he attempts to abduct her from Kung-Fu city to take her back to Utopia.

#49 Edited by xeon1cs (1479 posts) - - Show Bio

@royers13 said:

Ha, I like how this turned into a "Cyke is a d*ck" forum. But back to my original question, Why didn't we see him a captain go one-on-one. the only real images we see are at the very beginning of the conflict and when Cap and Wolverine are double teaming him on the moon. Cap vs Cyke is the battle that I was most looking forward too. The two big Marvel Team leaders facing off in combat. And it might be said that they faced of in tactics of team work, but deciding who won in that essence still doesn't work. Speaking of the events before the Phx 5, Cyclops handled most stuff as a General where as Captain America handled stuff like a Captain, Who would have known. In tactics of the Big Picture, I'd say Cyclops won hands down. In combat on the battle field Captain won. But where they were both on the battlefield, you can't really compare because at any point when this happened, Captain America had more people on his side.

Probably because Captain America doesn't have the ability to fight someone who was the avatar of life and death.

@Outside_85 said:

What are you talking about...Xavier was trying to mentally shut down Scott. He of all people should know you don't try and do that to a Phoenix host. It was Xaviers own stupidity that got him killed, not Scott going off the deep end. Scott killed him in self-defense, and as a result, he broke. It was 100% Xavier's fault that he went Dark Phoenix. Looking at the entirety of the event, you can blame the Avengers, and their allies for the majority of the problems caused by Scott at that point.

#50 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3360 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Outside_85 said:

You say that like it's a bad thing, Cyclop's was the member of the P5 who kept his sh*t in order the longest, he refused to kill anyone until he lost control, helped people and only targeted the Avengers after they attacked them for a second time, Cyclop's was portrayed as a good guy up until his second dose. Him blowing off Hope was just one writers inconsistency as one of the the first things he said when after becoming possessed was that he needed to prepare Hope. Bar that one poorly worded piece of dialogue Scott showed no intention that he didn't want to give Hope the phoenix all the way up to becoming Dark Phoenix, he is constantly trying to track her down and after the second last Phoenix hit he attempts to abduct her from Kung-Fu city to take her back to Utopia.

i thought scott was trying to kill her when he tried to abduct her from kun lung