Cyclops question

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is Scott Summers an Omega Level Mutant ?

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MarcosVergara14

Cyclops is a Beta level mutant he has a power bigger that Alpha, he can pass easly as a human beacuse his mutations are not noticible as the Gamma level but his imposibility to control his power put him in Beta same as Marrow and previosly Rouge

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: The mutant clasification. Alpha is the lowest mutants thats still appears to be human but have a special ability in their genes like Kitty Pryde.

Beta is the second, a mutant that still looks like a human but by some reason does not have full control over his/her power like Cyclops and Rogue

Gamma is the third level, a mutant in full control on his power, but due to his X-Gene their appearence is different to humans like Nightcrawler or Mystique

Delta is the fourth level their physical caracteristics are like Alpha and Beta, their power some times are really hidden Domino enter in this category when she produce adrenaline her power activate and probabilities change to her favor giving her some kind of good luck.

Epsilon is fifth their have no combat powers, but like Gamma their physical appearence is sometimes totally diferent from humans like Artie Maddick.

Finally theres Omega a muntan with total control over their powers, these mutants can manipulate from atoms to their own cells, in this category enter really powerfull mutants like Iceman, Jean Grey, Magneto and Franklin Richards

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7 god_spawn  Moderator

@z3ro180: I'm pretty sure Matt Fraction ended up stating Cyclops is indeed an Alpha level mutant. Considering his run was just a couple of years ago, I'd fall back on that. The user above does make a point that a beta level mutant can be equal in power to an alpha, hence why he said Cyclops is an alpha mutant in power. The difference is the beta level mutant just has a small flaw in their mutation. Like how Mystique is always blue in normal form, but that doesn't hinder her. Wolverine can't choose not to heal something if he is injured, it just happens.

With that said, I would say Cyclops is a special case. I would say he is indeed an alpha level mutant. His lack of control is based on psychological trauma rather than it being an actual part of a mutation like Wolverine's healing or Mystique's blue skin. Similar to how Rogue used to not be able to touch people. She had no choice, and it was revealed to be mental issues, not part of her mutation. Since Rogue can control her mutation, she wouldn't be classified as beta. Cyclops does actually have control over the strength of his blasts. It's just the mental trauma he suffered makes him unable to turn his powers completely off. When the trauma was removed, he was able to gain control for a period of time.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@z3ro180: I'm pretty sure Matt Fraction ended up stating Cyclops is indeed an Alpha level mutant. Considering his run was just a couple of years ago, I'd fall back on that. The user above does make a point that a beta level mutant can be equal in power to an alpha, hence why he said Cyclops is an alpha mutant in power. The difference is the beta level mutant just has a small flaw in their mutation. Like how Mystique is always blue in normal form, but that doesn't hinder her. Wolverine can't choose not to heal something if he is injured, it just happens.

With that said, I would say Cyclops is a special case. I would say he is indeed an alpha level mutant. His lack of control is based on psychological trauma rather than it being an actual part of a mutation like Wolverine's healing or Mystique's blue skin. Similar to how Rogue used to not be able to touch people. She had no choice, and it was revealed to be mental issues, not part of her mutation. Since Rogue can control her mutation, she wouldn't be classified as beta. Cyclops does actually have control over the strength of his blasts. It's just the mental trauma he suffered makes him unable to turn his powers completely off. When the trauma was removed, he was able to gain control for a period of time.

Interesting. Always thought of Cyke as a beta level mutant due to his lack of control with his optic blasts, but I can see why he can still be considered an Alpha.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 god_spawn  Moderator

@wolverine08: And that's where it can get confusing. It's the lack of control. It's not something involuntary based on mutation, though. Like I said, Mystique can't not be blue in regular form. Wolverine cannot choose to not heal something. Those are because of their mutations. Cyclops has always had the brain damage/mental trauma which caused his lack of control. It was fear of his own powers that made him lose control, not because he couldn't due to mutation. So I would point to Alpha over beta for him.

MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: I think it depends the writer and the situation. In New X Men for example Emma finally make Scott admits that the reason to him no be in control of his powers is beacuse all of his traumas after this he goes without his visor for a while. I guess that can put him in Alpha but depending on the situation he is allways between Aplha and Beta but his not even near of an Omega

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 god_spawn  Moderator

@marcosvergara14: that was Astonishing X-Men under Whedon where Emma said it was the trauma and gave him the ability to control his blasts. And even before then, it was considered brain damage. Neither of which are causes of his mutation. But like you and the rest have said, he isn't an Omega, so that is pretty much the end of that question.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: See makes sense now. I had no idea what an alpha or beta mutant was.