Follow

The Flash

Series »

A CW TV series based on the DC superhero, set in the same continuity as Arrow and starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen.

CW Flash Respect Thread

• 71 results
    RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RBT

Ok, so I was thinking of doing a respect thread for Arrow but @nickzambuto beat me to it. So, I decided to do one for CW Barry Allen.

Now, if you are one of those who ignores a season worth of feats because of one statement, then this thread is not for you. I'll be ignoring the statement made by Caitlin in season finale about Barry never reaching Mach 2. Because he quite clearly had surpassed that limit even before mid season finale.

I'll try and breakdown feats to best of my knowledge as well. If you think a breakdown is wrong, comment and I'll edit it into OP.

Here we go..

Running Speed/Reflexes

• Barry ran over 3 times the distance in same time a bullet traveled 15ft.Season 1 Episode 8, Flash vs Arrow.
    No Caption Provided

Breakdown-

Barry was nowhere in frame when the bullet was fired. He close the distance and was able to deflect the bullet. Even if Barry was just outside the door when bullet was fired, he still covered at least thrice the distance the bullet did in same time. Now, the handgun used in this scene is Beretta 92, whose muzzle velocity is 380mps. So, Barry ran at least at Mach 3.4 in this scene.

• Barry ran many times faster than a shotgun shell. Season 1 Episode 8, Flash vs Arrow.
    No Caption Provided

Breakdown-

Barry was again no where in sight when shotgun was fired. Even if he was standing right next to shooter, he still caught up to shells, overtook them and was able to move three people, standing in a triangular formation, out of the way before the shells caught up to him. Its hard to gauge Barry's exact speed since he moved in a zig zag path, its safe to assume that he traveled at least 3-4 times faster than shells. The shotgun used in this scene is Remington 870, whose muzzle velocity is 475mps. So, Barry ran at over Mach 5 in this scene.

• He took a selfie(Its more impressive than it sounds). Season 1 Episode 11, The Sound and The Fury.
    No Caption Provided

Breakdown-

I don't have the slightest idea how fast Barry moved here. But this feat is very similar to the one Smallville fans use as Clark's FTL speed. Not implying anything.

• Matched/Outran Nuke explosion Season 1 Episode 13, The NuclearMan
    No Caption Provided

Barry did start running before nuke(Firestorm) exploded, but the blast caught up to him and Barry was able to match its speed. Nukes have a detonation velocity of over Mach 20.

• Ran fast enough to create a vacuum around him. Season 1 Episode 14, Fallout

Barry was doused by weaponized Phosphorus. He had to run fast enough to create a vaccum. To create a vaccum, one would have to move faster than air molecules, ie, above 2000mps. Barry ran at at least Mach 6.

• Dodged lightening.
    No Caption Provided

• Ran fast enough to time travel. Season 1 Episode 15, Out of Time
    No Caption Provided

Breakdown-

Here, we see Barry running several times on city's coastline in a second. Its very impressive, considering that a city's coastline can be of hundreds to thousands of miles. This is most likely Barry's best running feat. Though, for some reason, probably because of exhaustion, he slowed down considerably just before he time traveled.

• Faster than explosion. Season 1 Episode 17, The Tricksters
    No Caption Provided

Breakdown-

The explosion had almost touched Joe's face before Barry dragged him away in the direction of explosion. Barry must have moved a bit faster than explosion. Even the slowest detonation velocities are faster than Mach 5.

• Ran from Central City to Starling City in a minute, tops. The Flash Season Zero, 009.

Breakdown-

Starling City is at least 600 miles from Central City. To cover that distance in 1 minute, Barry would have to run at Mach 47.

• Ran from Starling City to Coast City in minutes. The Flash Season Zero, 017.

Durability

• Collided while going faster than 700mph and only broke his wrist. The Pilot
    • Tanked hits from Girder, a metahuman capable of flipping cars and doing this-
    And that was a mishit.
    And that was a mishit.
    • Took both cold gun(absolute cold) and heat gun(absolute hot) and wasn't KOed. Season 1 Episode 10. Revenge of The Rogues.
    No Caption Provided
    • Survived poison capable of killing a herd of elephants. Season 1 Episode 18. The Brave and The Bold
    • Shrugged off getting thrown at very high speed by Thawne. Season 1 Episode 22. Rogue Air.
    No Caption Provided

• Tanked a hit from strongman capable of lifting a RV and throwing it several hundred feet. The Flash Season Zero

Strength/Striking

• He regularly one shots completely armored men and sends them flying.
    • Melted Iron bars by vibrating them. The Flash Season Zero, 005.

Now that we've established that Barry is actually very fast, lets get to try and debunk a misconception people have about Barry on battle forum. That he is inconsistent and gets tagged a lot. Yes, he does get tagged occasionally, but there's almost always an explanation for him getting tagged.

• He got tagged by Multiplex. That's because he was tagged from behind. A Multiplex clone tagged him from behind.

He got tagged from behind and then simply got overpowered. This has been a pattern for Barry. He is easy to tag from behind.

• During their first encounter, Snart was able to tag Barry. That's because Barry came in between Cold ray and Joe.
    • Girder also tagged Barry twice. During their first encounter, Barry had shattered every bone in his hand and was in excruciating pain. That enabled Girder to tag him. After a few second, when Barry adjusted to pain, he was easily able to dodge his hit.
    • During their second encounter, Girder tagged Barry from behind.
    • The Arrow vs Flash fight breakdown-

Oliver tagged Barry quite a few times during their fight, but there is always a reason.

Oliver tied Barry with a rope arrow(?) from behind.

Oliver then fired two explosive arrows which Barry dodged. Barry, however, did not know that they will explode and was caught in explosion. Also, he had his back turned to the explosion.

Oliver then used the time Barry was stunned to get behind him and shot a tranq arrow.

Oliver classic trick to tag Barry in h2h. He threw a punch and forced Barry to move in a position where Oliver had already threw another punch. That's how slower characters tag faster characters in comics all the time. Don't hit where the faster person is. Hit where he's going to be. This is more of Oliver's feat than anything.

Then Oliver used his pre placed crossbows to force Barry to catch the arrows and turn his back to him. Oliver then threw an arrow through his leg. From behind.

Oliver caught Barry's superspeed punch and held Barry in one place till the light did their job.

• He got tagged by Cold again because it decreases his speed.
    • Peek-a-boo was able to tag Barry in their final fight.

See a pattern there? She kept teleporting behind him to tag him.

• Eling was able to tag Barry with a shrapnel bomb because the shrapnels were especially designed to follow kinetic energy, ie, Flash.
    • He deliberately caught the missile fired by Eling's soldiers, trying to pull the trick he pulled on Cisco's drones, but it exploded in his hand. And he was doused by weaponized Phosphorus.
    • He got tagged by Bug Eyed Bandit's bees because it was an omnidirectional attack. He could possible have dodged them. Plus, the bees were very fast. They kept up with both Barry and Ray.
    • Everyman also landed quite a few hits on Barry. That was because he used pepper spray to blind him. He transformed into Caitlin which visibly disturbed Barry and used that opening as an advantage to pepper spray him. Barry fought rest of the battle blinded.
    • Mardon was able to tag him with lightening because Barry was distracted by Deathbolt's attack.

I might have missed a few instances.

Barry is not inconsistent. He just doesn't look behind him much and that allows others to tag him. However,he has reacted to people attacking him from behind many times. Like the arrows he caught during his fight with Oliver.

What do you think of this thread? If you think I missed something, comment and I'll add it in OP.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice Thread and Good Summary!

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! I hope that the misconception of Barry being slow, will be gone. The whole point of Flash is to be fast, so the fact that people use jobbing incidents as something legit, is just ludicrous.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

nice.

I think the feat where he catches a bullet needs to be included for both reflexes and durability. Its one of his better in both categories.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By I_Am_Lightning
    No Caption Provided

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AllStarSuperman

He got beat up by that random teleporter tho......:p

Keikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: Fix a bit of grammar and also include the scene where Barry reacts to a bullet inches before it hits his neck and grabs it.

Hawkman180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hawkman180

No Caption Provided
    mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice! I hope that the misconception of Barry being slow, will be gone. The whole point of Flash is to be fast, so the fact that people use jobbing incidents as something legit, is just ludicrous.

People don't think he slow, it's just he has been incompetent in battle...a lot. Also he needs to stop jobbering.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogueshadow  Moderator

Barry is still sort of retarded in my opinion, I'm not sure it can even be called jobbing he does it so much, he's just dumb with his powers.

Love the show though and nice thread.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt:

I don't think the camera feat counts as FTL. The picture was taken in the moment Barry sped over to the others, which on average, occurred within a 1-4 microsecond timeframe. I don't know why the flash occurred after the fact since he's using his phone, but it's clear that the picture was taken before the light. It's still a great microsecond feat, but with Clark, we clearly saw the light itself moving in slow motion from his perspective. Barry may catch up, but for now, Smallville Clark is still faster.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dextersinister

Necessary PIS, there's a lot of it in Flash, if a speedster uses his powers with any degree of competency he auto-wins 99% of the time.

When he went up against Weather Wizard after the time skip he just won, no chance for the villain to do anything because they where approaching the end of the episode and din't have time for Barry to let the villain have a shot.

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt Real nice work man, gave me a new appreciation for Barry. And yeah, I do have to concede now that the Mach 2 statement doesn't make much sense in context to his other feats. Only issue for me (and this is just opinion) is that Weather Wizard's lightning SEEMED to be slower than normal lightning, but thats a minor thing thats just opinion. Real nice work man.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The black hole feat also is a great showing for agility.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice.

I think the feat where he catches a bullet needs to be included for both reflexes and durability. Its one of his better in both categories.

I'll edit it in the OP under speed/reflexes. But how is it a durability feat?

Because she played smart and kept teleporting behind him. I mentioned it in the OP.

@deus said:

@rbt: Fix a bit of grammar and also include the scene where Barry reacts to a bullet inches before it hits his neck and grabs it.

I know. I cringed a few times while giving it a re-read. I'll get to it.

@rbt:

I don't think the camera feat counts as FTL. The picture was taken in the moment Barry sped over to the others, which on average, occurred within a 1-4 microsecond timeframe. I don't know why the flash occurred after the fact since he's using his phone, but it's clear that the picture was taken before the light. It's still a great microsecond feat, but with Clark, we clearly saw the light itself moving in slow motion from his perspective. Barry may catch up, but for now, Smallville Clark is still faster.

Microsecond or millisecond?

The black hole feat also is a great showing for agility.

I completely forgot about that. It was also a great durability feat IMO.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt Real nice work man, gave me a new appreciation for Barry. And yeah, I do have to concede now that the Mach 2 statement doesn't make much sense in context to his other feats. Only issue for me (and this is just opinion) is that Weather Wizard's lightning SEEMED to be slower than normal lightning, but thats a minor thing thats just opinion. Real nice work man.

Thanks.

So do I.

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Barry is still sort of retarded in my opinion, I'm not sure it can even be called jobbing he does it so much, he's just dumb with his powers.

This. Kinda like the show but some scenes were just crappy...

Awesome thread though! :)

KCMinato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool man. Hope people would stop saying that cw flash is slow now

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JuzaCloud

My farts travel faster than CW Flash.....you smell me?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt:

Microsecond man. He's not light speed by any mean, but I honestly think this is one of his better speed feats.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt:

Microsecond man. He's not light speed by any mean, but I honestly think this is one of his better speed feats.

Not saying he is. But if he really did cover that distance is microseconds, then its one of his best feats.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:

@rbt:

Not saying he is. But if he really did cover that distance is microseconds, then its one of his best feats.

Agreed. It's defiantly on par with his lightning reaction feats considering the distance and time frame he reacted in.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren Can you move this to The Flash's forum? So it can be easily accessed?

http://www.comicvine.com/the-flash/4075-430/forums/

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caitlin's statement that Barry had never gone beyond Mach 2 really bothered me. Anyone with even mild knowledge of how fast objects travel would know he obliterated that speed a long time ago.

Then again some of Caitlin's statements have me question her competence. Like not knowing what a singularity was. Come on Dr. Snow, you're a freaking scientist and you've never heard the term singularity? While working in a facility where creating such a thing is a risk?!

As for your respect thread, I believe you missed the episode Grodd Lives entirely. Barry has a pretty sweet feat of resisting a mental assault (with the power of love) and a durability feat of being thrown through a stone wall by a giant gorilla. A gorilla who had previously caught Barry's Super Sonic Punch bare handed with his physical strength alone.

Grodd was able to tag Barry though, and I don't think there's any real excuse for it except that maybe Grodd has some manner of superhuman reaction time. He DID catch Barry's punch traveling at least mach 1, which is something well beyond what gorillas should be capable of.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@rbt: Very nice very nice. I was actually thinking of doing one for the CW Reverse Flash if you didn't mind?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caitlin's statement that Barry had never gone beyond Mach 2 really bothered me. Anyone with even mild knowledge of how fast objects travel would know he obliterated that speed a long time ago.

Then again some of Caitlin's statements have me question her competence. Like not knowing what a singularity was. Come on Dr. Snow, you're a freaking scientist and you've never heard the term singularity? While working in a facility where creating such a thing is a risk?!

As for your respect thread, I believe you missed the episode Grodd Lives entirely. Barry has a pretty sweet feat of resisting a mental assault (with the power of love) and a durability feat of being thrown through a stone wall by a giant gorilla. A gorilla who had previously caught Barry's Super Sonic Punch bare handed with his physical strength alone.

Grodd was able to tag Barry though, and I don't think there's any real excuse for it except that maybe Grodd has some manner of superhuman reaction time. He DID catch Barry's punch traveling at least mach 1, which is something well beyond what gorillas should be capable of.

Yeah. I'll add those feats when I edit this.

Grodd does seem to have enhanced reflexes.

@eyedcyou said:

@rbt: Very nice very nice. I was actually thinking of doing one for the CW Reverse Flash if you didn't mind?

Sure. Go ahead.

Any idea how I can move this to The Flash forum? I want this to be easily accessible.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GXrevolution96

@rbt Based on everything you have seen, how fast would you put CW Flash at tops?

klbro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about when he reacts to the lightning?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt Based on everything you have seen, how fast would you put CW Flash at tops?

In running speed? Almost Mach 50. Running from Central City to Starling City is easily quantifiable. Though I think, he ran much faster when he was trying to stop the Tsunami.

As for reflexes, I think the Weather Wizard's lightening feat is his best to date.

What about when he reacts to the lightning?

I did put it there. Though I forgot to break it down.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice.

klbro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RBT
    MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

nice

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heatforce

@metalj

The only time he absolutely went faster than Mach 2 was when he accidently time traveled while trying to stop the tsunami. Caitlin wouldn’t remember that. Also there have been other times when Barry's suit has been trashed and since they normally get readings from the suit...you see where I'm going with this. And as far as Caitlin not knowing what a singularity is, she is a bio-engineer. I know a few people in the medical field who know absolutely crap about astronomy or geology. I also know people with Computer Science degrees who wouldn’t know how to use Microsoft Office if their lives depended on it.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce:

I'd say Barry also moved faster than Mach 2 when he was perceiving lightning in slow motion and out ran it. Though I believe Barry wasn't wearing his suit at the time.

It's a fair point though. She isn't omniscient and isn't watching Barry 24/7. I still feel she should know what a singularity is though. That's pretty common knowledge to anyone with a mild interest in science or sci fi. Or maybe I'm just overestimating people.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moved and bumped.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moved and bumped.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GXrevolution96

@rbt said:

Moved and bumped.

Are ou planning on upadting this thread with some of seaon 2 feats?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Moved and bumped.

Are ou planning on upadting this thread with some of seaon 2 feats?

Yeah. After mid season finale most likely.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rbt said:
    @gxrevolution96 said:
    @rbt said:

Moved and bumped.

Are you planning on updating this thread with some season 2 feats?

So, right about now?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zearing said:
    @rbt said:
    @gxrevolution96 said:
    @rbt said:

Moved and bumped.

Are you planning on updating this thread with some season 2 feats?

So, right about now?

Hopefully in a couple of days.

Avatar image for leonardo_liafador
    Leonardo_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
    deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple of days later...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.