CV's Roundtable User Discussion 011 - Team-Up

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

What up! Welcome to the "Roundtable User Discussion"! Let me explain what this is. A couple of CV users, like yourself, virtually met up to talk comic books and comic-related topics. That conversation has been posted here for you guys to see, read and enjoy. Be sure to comment below where you can submit your own opinions after reading ours. Be sure to go back and read our other conversations (Here) and share your thoughts. Even if you disagree with us, we like comments.

No Caption Provided

I am Geo, better known as sora_thekey and I will be moderating this discussion. I will also give insight along the way. Making their comeback the amazing Icarusflies, Billy Batson and Caligula are "sitting" with me today. Welcome!

Icarusflies: Heeeeeeeeeerrrrrreeeee's ICARUS! >maniacal grin<

Caligula: Buenas Tardes Comicvine, it's your resident Caesar... Caligula.

Billy Batson: Hi I'm Batson.

Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1
Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1

Welcome back you three! Have you guys been keeping busy? Y'know, comic book-wise...

Billy Batson: I read Scott Pilgrim volume 1 and The Walking Dead volume 4.

Caligula: I have been reading IDW's GI-Joe Origins, IDW's Star Trek, IDW's Ghostbusters, IDW's Transformers, Kato, Bombqueen, and Cowboys & Aliens.

Icarusflies: Series: Batman Beyond, I WAS reading Doom Patrol but it ended, Superboy, Chew, Invincible, Sweet Tooth, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, Deadpool, Weird Worlds, iZombie, Batgirl, Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Incorporated, The Flash, R.E.B.E.L.S, Red Robin, Booster Gold, Teen Titans, Tiny Titans, Green Lantern, Xombi

Webcomics: Dr. McNinja, XKCD, Looking For Group, Let's Be Friends Again, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Romantically Apocalyptic, Hark! A Vagrant, Hanna is Not a Boy's Name, Boxer Hockey, Buttersafe, The Punchline is Machismo, Featuring Talking Guinea Pigs, Gutter, String Theory, Insane Yeti Squirrel, Rare Candy Treatment, Dr. Cat, Battle Pug, Johnny Wander, Hyperbole and a Half

Trades: Invincible, Justice League Elite, Batman: Year One Hundred.

Amazing Spider-Man #1
Amazing Spider-Man #1

I just caught myself up on The Death of Spider-Man. Man that has been a great story so far!

Well, I guess we can go ahead and continue on with today's discussion: Team-Ups.This is a term we are all familiar with. Caligula, could you explain what a team-up is for those who don't understand this lingo?

Caligula: A Team-Up is when you take one character from one book and have them partner with another character from a separate book. for example Spider-Man teaming up with Wolverine would be one.

Correct! The perfect example would be Amazing Spider-Man #1. Back in the 60s when Spider-Man was just beginning his first appearance had him Team-Up with the Fantastic Four. Then some team-ups lead into other stuff like when Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Superman, Plastic Man, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter created the Justice League.

What are your opinions about team-ups?

Billy Batson: Well team-ups,for me, depend on the character chemistry and on the writing.

To make it a good story or a good team-up?

Billy Batson: Both!

Caligula: I'm with Billy. It all depends on the character and the situation.

I don't really like Batman teaming up with anyone, I'd like to keep the Bat-verse and the rest of the DC universe separated. But I love to Zatanna work with others. It's all about the characters and stories.

Icarusflies: I love team-ups. Especially seeing the dynamics of characters who wouldn't often work together. Team-ups are something you can't have in many places other than comics, and I think they're one of the things that make comics great.

Marvel Team-Up #1
Marvel Team-Up #1

Often times publishers will even publish titles that focus on those very Team-Ups. Do you guys like those titles?

Billy Batson: I like them if they work, lol!

Icarusflies: Sometimes those are better than others. Usually one person/team gets pushed into the background while the spotlight is on the other person/team, and that just tends not to work so well. Other times it's a lot of fun. The Brave and the Bold was a prime example of a good team-up book.

The Brave and the Bold #1
The Brave and the Bold #1

I think another book that works the same way a Team-Up book would is Heroes for Hire.

Caligula: I don't really know if I like something or not, until i've read it. But 99% of team-ups I've read were either poor or middle of the road. There have been a few here and there that shocked me and I enjoyed, but not often.

Do you guys think that Team-Ups can only be about two characters' interactions in an action situation? Or would a story about how two characters hang out be considered a team-up too?

Icarusflies: In continuity, I think team-ups can only be for fighting situations. Out of continuity (ex, in the real world) team-ups can be used to describe any two+ characters meeting.

Caligula: I think the latter is a cross-over more so than a team-up. Team up implies some sort of grouping with a goal.

Billy Batson: Well the latter one isn't really a team-up since they are not fighting crime.

Sinister Six
Sinister Six

What about villain team-ups. What is your opinion on those? The Sinister Six or Frightful Four are examples of those.

Icarusflies: Villain team-ups often don't work as well since almost all villains have their own agenda. There are some rare exceptions which were good both to read, and as a team, such as Alex Luthor's Secret Society of Super-Villains.

The Frightful Five? Not so much….

Billy Batson: Haven't really read SS >_> but I have heard it's good. I have never liked Frightful Four.

Caligula: Secret Six is good.

I really only like team-ups for villains though when the smarter villain is using the stronger villain. Something like Luthor using Bizarro or something. Because otherwise it's hard to see to bad guys working together unless one is being played be another.

Icarusflies: Of course the Rogues are the exception to that rule.

Caligula: I think the rogues have to team up, because they aren't really all that menacing when not working together.

Ultimate Six
Ultimate Six

I find it strange that you don't favor villain team-ups as much. I actually like Ultimate's Sinister Six. Individually the characters are menacing but together they are just deadly!

Billy Batson: How are they deadly when the heroes usually win and no one ever stays dead? :P

I guess because they tend to be a bigger threat. We all know that the heroes will prevail in the end but the villain team-up make it harder for them.

Icarusflies: Villain team-ups are definitely necessary, they can just be a bit frustrating. (Usually due more to poor writing than anything else)

Okay then what are your favorite team-ups? Team-ups that have happened.

Icaruslfies: As I said, I really enjoyed Alex Luthor's incarnation of the SSoSV.

And one of my all-time favorite team-ups was Aquaman and Etrigan in the Brave and the Bold. Okay, some of that MIGHT have been because they were fighting Cthulhu, but whatever. >_>

Billy Batson: Hmmm that's a though one. I would say Swamp Thing and Constantine but Constantine appeared on Swamp Thing's book.

Deadpool and Galactus was a funny team-up. I personally loved whenever Spider-Man and the Human Torch would team-up. Now I want to speculate. Is there a team-up that has not happened but you want it to?

Caligula: No... no Dream Team-Ups for me.

Billy Batson: I knew that there was going to this question! Jonah Hex and Swamp Thing. Two of my favorites and two loners.

Icarusflies: Yes….yes there is. Sora, can you guess what half of it is going to be?

I'm not good at guessing.

B.P.R.D.
B.P.R.D.

Icarusflies: Fine… I'd love to see and Umbrella Academy/BPRD crossover. The supernatural family and the anti-supernatural police corps? That would be really interesting. Plus, either Gabriel Bá or the Hellboy guy [blanking on the name]'s art would be perfect.

Caligula: Do you mean Mike Mignola?

Icarusflies: YEAH, him!

Ha! I knew Umbrella Academy was going to be there!

What would be the ideal fictional team-up? (Crossover between comic book companies, video games, anime, etc.)

Icarusflies: ….I….I can't feel my brain. I think it melted. Too many cool things to team up. Something that might be interesting would be Crime and Punishment…and Batman.

Billy Batson: Hmmm Constantine and Hellboy?

Caligula: Duke Nukem/Rambo/Punisher/Liu Kang/Snake Eyes/T-1000/Robocop/Optimus Prime/Ghostbusters/Hellboy/Green Arrow/Conan super spectacular

I want to see Mickey Mouse from Epic Mickey team up with Superman and fight Lex Luthor by the way. Don't ask why... I don't really know.

Tiny Titans & The Archies
Tiny Titans & The Archies

So I want a really random Team Up. What would be the weirdest Team-Up you can think of? (Epic Mickey plus Power Pack)

Icarusflies: Tiny Titans plus Watchmen.

Caligula:Mouse Guard/ Friday the 13th

Billy Batson: Hmmm Cthulhu and Goofy.

Haha All good and very weird answers.

Thor Review
Thor Review

Alright now it's time to say good bye! Thanks for joining me. If you haven't already be sure to check out the first ever Community Review on the Thor movie.

Icarusflies: Ciao everyone, good night!….and don't let the genetically engineered raging giant bedbugs bite!

….

I should NOT have thought of that. >shudder<

Billy Batson: SHAZAM!!!

Caligula: Remember the horror movie rules... never ever say I'll be back, because you never will. So this is Caligula and I'll be back.

I wonder what that means? This is Geo signing off. Bye!

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @sora_thekey

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Caligula

What's the deal with so many teams of six?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sora_thekey

@Caligula: Six is the magic number!

This is the shortest RT in the history of the RTs

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula
@sora_thekey said:

@Caligula: Six is the magic number!

This is the shortest RT in the history of the RTs

lol. I told you when you said that on the last, one that I thought this one was.

It felt like none of us really had much to say. one way or another on this topic. I disappointed myself.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Nothing wrong with short.  They can't all be super long (and I know the next one is VERY long indeed).  The Tiny Titans & Archies looks so cute!

*resists the urge to pimp her own 'Team-Up' contest* ;)

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Team-Ups are good. I liked the idea behind the original Super-Villain team-up book with Doc Doom and Sub-Mariner where the Doc held a "cure" for Namor as a hold over him. Obviously you knew that wasn't going to last but that kind of story worked for me. When Typhiod got Daredevils enemies to team up against him that was also a good way for the writers to do it.

I enjoy when characters like Black Panther show up and team with DD. Still waiting for the Vic Sage/Daredevil "flashback(?)" story to come out.