CV's Roundtable User Discussion 040 - New 52 Year Two

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Hello All! On August 31st, 2011, DC comics changed with the introduction of The New 52.

Recently, a group of users got together as part of CV's Roundtable User Discussions to look back and forward at DC's evolving multiverse.

No Caption Provided

If you don't mind, I'd like you guys to introduce your selves

Razzatazz: Hi my name is Razz or Razzatazz or Tammy or ... (runs out of names)

kilomac29: I’m Kilomac, or Kilo, or just Caleb. I’ll answer to anything really.

MadeinBangladesh: Hello, i am MadeinBangladesh aka Monty.

damswedon: Hi I'm Kurt, aka dam(god I hate this username that I'm forever stuck with)swedon. I'm an Aries, I like walks in the park, and I'm looking for fun.

DoomDoomDoom: Hi! I'm DoomDoomDoom...though I think most refer to me as just Doom.

What are you reading?

Razzatazz: I am a little all over the place recently, I am still keeping up with the new 52 here and there. I am still reading Wonder Woman and Supergirl, though I mean to catch up on a few other titles as well. I also read a few just to see how they are, like I was reading Vibe for a few issues.

kilomac29: May be easier to say what I’m not reading but I’ll give it a go.

• Batman
  • Batman/Superman
  • Superman Unchained
  • Action Comics
  • All Star Western
  • Wonder Woman
  • Superman/Wonder Woman
  • Green Arrow
  • Animal Man
  • Nightwing
  • The Lantern titles

MadeinBangladesh: I'm reading a lot of comics, so I will just name some of my current favorite titles. Quantum and Woody, Harbinger, Green Arrow, Hawkeye, All-Star Western, Sheltered, Ghosted, TMNT from IDW, All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Swamp Thing, Forever Evil, Clone, Aquaman and many more.

damswedon: Lets see, along with my bedrock of weekly progs and issues of 2000ADand The Phoenix I have a monthly pull of Miss Fury, Lazarus, and The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, Mighty Avengers, Young Avengers, and then I have about a half dozen comics on trial (Rocket Girl and Pretty Deadlybeing the two that stand out the most). I've also been working through the shortlist for the British Comic Awards, of which Nao of Brown (winner of Best book) is easily the best comic I've read all year.

DoomDoomDoom: I'm currently reading:

• Green Lantern
  • Red Lanterns
  • Larfleeze
  • Animal Man
  • Katana
  • Constantine
  • Justice League of America
  • Phantom Stranger
  • Earth 2
  • Suicide Squad
  • Stormwatch
  • Forever Evil
  • Shadowman
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Zero
  • Manifest Destiny
  • East of West
  • Next Testament
  • God is Dead
  • Rover Red Charlie
  • Wraith
  • Eerie

kilomac29: Man, it looks like you read more DC than I do. (I'm ashamed to admit that if I listed All the titles I read the list would be three times as long)

I'm curious: what were your thoughts about the New 52 back in 2011? Were you excited for anything?

Razzatazz: Anytime that there is a huge creative endeavour, I am behind it, and I was supportive then.

kilomac29: Well my answer may be biased, but I actually got into comics hardcore based on the New 52. (I guess I was that elusive “New Reader” the big two are always going on about) I had been on the periphery of comics off and on up until that point, picking up a GN here and there.

kilomac29: I came on about a year into the reboot, and couldn’t have picked a better time. That bit about high issue numbers, etc. being intimidating were definitely true in my case.

As for what I was excited about, the first thing I read was Batman: The Court of Owls, as recommended by my LCS Guy (What up, Mammoth Comics! Shameless plug for my fav LCS). So, I guess I was excited about finding more stuff by Snyder. (Yeah, I’m a Snyder fanboy, live with it!) I was also excited to discover other writers I really dug like Johns, Lemire, and more recently, Charles Soule.

MadeinBangladesh: I started reading comics in May, 2012. DC's New 52 was my first stepping stone into the world of comics. I caught up with Batman, Deathstroke, Justice League, and couple other DC titles. Slowly I read more and more from DC and begin to look into MARVEL, IMAGE, and other companies to become an official comicbook reader. I understand that the New 52 enraged and frustrated many old readers, but I'm very grateful of the New 52 as it made me a weekly reader.

damswedon: Before the New 52 I was mostly out of DC comics, other than Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl (the best Spider-man comic written in years) I was mainly picking up Marvel comics for my Superhero kick, but I was about ready for a jump across to DC. So in theory I should have been all for the New 52 once it hit

DoomDoomDoom: When the New 52 was announced I was only reading Green Lantern before hand. Sure I was familiar with quite a few DC characters but I had never followed any titles that were coming out on the month to month basis. My familiarity with DC characters stemmed from a lot of DC Showcase Presents and the DC animated universe and a few handful of oddball back issues. I was excited for a jumping on point with a bunch of different characters. Out of all the titles that were dropped at the original launch I think I was most excited for DC Universe Presents and Animal Man.

Has 2 years changed your opinion on the new 52?

Razzatazz: I think the rollout of the series has on the whole been pretty disappointing. It was time for a change and a shakeup, it is maybe just too bad that it went for an extremely commercial approach. It seems like too many decisions are being based not by creative decisions but by the bottom line. I would like to see a lot of things, but it seems like DC is still just about as much out of ideas as it was before the reboot, only that the it was put in slightly different packaging. In this case, it is getting a bit tired for me, though I do maintain hope for the future. To be honest, I would probably stop hating so much if they could just stop letting Wonder Woman date Superman.

kilomac29: I don’t know if my opinion has changed. Like I said, New 52 was my jumping on point, so I may be more forgiving of its flaws. I definitely don’t like a lot of the decisions they’ve made, or their reasoning behind them. (What Didio has said about how they came up with the 52 number is just one example)

I tend to (try to) focus less on what DC is doing to screw up my favorite characters (I’m looking at you Tomasi) and focus more on what my favorite writers and artists are doing in their books. I can also see the writing on the wall though. Writers and artists are starting to leave the company en masse, and I’ll certainly be unhappy if the writers/artists I love start leaving because of DC’s editorial/business decisions.

MadeinBangladesh: I still really enjoy a lot of DC titles. That means they are still doing something right.

damswedon: Heh, so this is the part where I have to admit that before I grabbed Harley Quinn #0 I had not picked up a single comic put out by DC Comics since Swamp Thing #11. There are a number of reasons why, but the main reason why is frankly I have no ability to care about comics that come out monthly any more. You see back on the 8th of June 2011 I decided to start picking up 2000AD weekly, I'd read collections of 2000AD stuff before but I'd never read the thrill-powered weekly Progs. There is this very weird thing about reading a weekly comic, you stop caring about any other comic other than the next one, the last earthly conduits for Tharg (Editor) Andy Diggle used to say that 2000AD is like a drug, and that it true. But the thing that changed in my mind the most was how I put value in my comics. We all are subconsciously evaluating whether we should or shouldn't keep buying comics, and to be honest I've always been kinda good at telling comics to go eff themselves when I'm done with them, but reading 2000AD, and later The Phoenix, has made me stop evaluating comics using the price they are being sold at, and instead I now evaluate comics based on how long the expect me to care, and buy, them to see a story to completion. So when it came to picking between reading Jeff Lemire having to tread while Scott Snyder spends seven months writing about how a GIANT CORPSE MONSTER is evil then, guess what? I don't care any more.

Combine that with being a creator follower that had no creators that he cared about at DC, and a dislike for the whole lets wipe out our continuity but start our flagship title with a story that is about how the planet is being invaded from an alternate dimension, because for some reason Geoff Johns thinks people are too stupid to understand the concept that this is a world where superheroes exist. Never mind the fact that the majority of religions and myths start with a short "God creates the Earth / kills a giant and then, I dunno, stuff happens, Loki gets raped by a horse and gives birth to Odin's six legged horse". You know what, that is my main problem with DC, it that joke about how DC is like "Wonder Woman is hard to do", and Marvel is like "Guardians of the Galaxy stars a Cockney Space Raccoon". It is like DC has no faith that their characters are great, take Barbara Gordon for example, everything they say about Barbara Gordon being this totally amazing character that was always supposed to Batgirl and the other two were mistakes, or whatever you want to push, is completely undermined by the fact that you kept the Killing Joke both as canon, but also because it is one of the first things you reference in your new comic. If you want to have the ability to start again have the balls to do it instead of the half-arsed thing we got.

DoomDoomDoom: My opinion hasn't changed much over the course of the New 52, I'm still excited that these titles are kind of a fresh take on a universe. I see why some long time fans are all Mr. Grumpy over it, I get it, I really do. I just tend to look at the New 52 and pre-New 52 as to completly separate universes...which they are.

We've heard a lot of comic news about changes in the new 52, what is something you'd like to discuss?

MadeinBangladesh:

For me it would be Animal Man and Batman The Dark Knight are NOT CANCELLED but ending. I'm sad to see Animalman go, but he's going to join Jeff Lemire's Justice League of Canada team. I'm cool with that. And I don't really care for The Dark Knight, but I heard it was the worst of the batbooks.

kilomac29:

I'm bummed about Animal Man. I was hoping that we might get Maxine Baker as AM. It's also been one of the most consistently good and underrated books in the N52. The good news is that I'll now have some room on my pull list for titles that are starting soon.

I've never read any Batman: DK. It always seemed like reviews were never high on the book. It also had that awful Joker's Daughter story and cover. That book is still selling on eBay for $18-$20, which seems ridiculous. Weirdly though, the book had some good art talent during its run including Alex Maleev and David Finch.

DoomDoomDoom: Oh wow, I didn't know Animal Man would be ending. I'm sad to hear that, it is my favorite book DC puts out at the moment. What issue is it ending on?

Poet: yeah, it is a shame about Animal Man (I always liked it when AM appearing in my comic poll results though hasn't appeared as much recently). Batman: DK's cancelation is really not unexpected what with it being the worst of the bat books as @madeinbangladesh put it. and back to hosting...

Other than the ones we have already mentioned, are there any series which were canceled? And if so what were they and why do you think they were canceled? Do you think DC could have done something differently to make it not be canceled?

MadeinBangladesh: I don't think any other series is cancelled in this wave, but we will see when the solicits for March comes out next week.

DoomDoomDoom:DIAL H!!!!!!! I can see where it was maybe a bit to weird and offbeat for the mainstream DC universe but jeez that was an awesome book while it lasted. I imagine it was cancelled because it wasn't well known and it wasn't your even semi-traditional superhero affair. I think some issues were simply confusing, not poorly written, but the elements of the story made it fairly confusing. I think some people wrote it off as gimicky and it never had a good jumping on point other than the first issue. I honestly don't know what DC could have done differently to save that book....added Batman? DC Universe Presents was another title I was sad to see get cancelled. DC has such a wealth of great characters it really needs a book where a character who wouldn't support his own series can shine for a couple issues. I think Challengers of the Unknown as the 2nd story arc had a lot of people drop the book. I think opening the series with a Deadman arc was a good idea and maybe they should have eased their way into some more obscure areas of the DC universe.

Razzatazz: I was reading a lot to start with, and there were many that I liked. Among those Voodoo was my absolute favourite, even if it did wane towards the end. OMAC was surprisingly endearing, and Frankenstein wasn't too bad either. I liked certain aspects of Justice League International and the scientific approach of books like Firestrom and Captain Atom was appreciated. One thing which I think that DC is doing well, and it almost seems like it could be on purpose, is that most cancellations mean something, or result in something, whether it be better background for characters that show up elsewhere, or building new team members for other teams.

damswedon: Paul Cornell's Demon Knights deserved more, but I guess the combination of Paul Cornell getting fed up with DC and DC just generally deciding to not give a damn about that book at all didn't help it in the long term. DC Presents probably shouldn't of been a physical monthly book.

kilomac29: I don't think there are any titles I can think of that I enjoyed that got cancelled. I guess I've been lucky in that regard so far.

What is the highlight of the New 52 in your opinion?

MadeinBangladesh:The highlight for me in the new 52 is that I like how everything is organized and planned, what Geoff Johns has been doing with The Justice Legue/Forever Evil or the DC universe as a whole. Another highlight gotta be some of the epic runs that we got like Geoff John's Green Lantern & Aquaman, Scott Snyder's Court of the Owls,Death of the Family, and Swampthing, Brian Azzarillo's Wonder Woman, and many more.

I also love how most DC titles are $2.99 and comes out monthly in schedule ( While All MARVEL books are $3.99 and they either double ship or get delayed).

DoomDoomDoom: I honestly think the highlight of the New 52 is getting a whole batch of people on board and exploring a whole new version of the DC universe (red tornado? do what now?). I was pulling one DC book before the New 52, and reading a ton of Showcase Presents TPBs. I was a Marvel kid through and through who just happened to like Green Lantern and have a interest in older comics. I don't pull a single Marvel book now (until Moon Knight comes out!) to some degree because of the New 52 eating up the majority of my pull-list. I can understand where some longtime DC readers feel they got shifted by a overt grab at new readers but these new readers might stick around and support a company, characters, and ideas that you love, after your dead and gone. Sure some of these new readers will come along and the New 52 is all they will know, it happens. However, some will come along and find a love for DC as a whole and go savagely digging through dollar bins to get that copy of Justice League Europe #22 (bye-bye kitty). The short of it is, while even though I consider myself "new" to the DC Universe, the New 52 has been a jumping on point for me in many ways. It's introduced me to characters I didn't know and sent me wiki-digging to find out about them and what they were like pre-new 52. It's good people THE NEW 52 IS GOOD!!!! (rant over)

Razzatazz: I think the highlight is still yet to come. There has been a few crossovers, including Forever Evil, but nothing has the feel of the major events like Blackest Night, the Crises or Flashpoint. I think that there are still a lot of unanswered questions, and the event which answers those might be one of the best ever.

damswedon: There were four issues of Supergirl were about an Irish girl being hunted down by her father, who was going to absorb her magic, that had just enough grimdark to, on the surface, satisfy the grimdark that DC seems to need. But at the same time it gave us hope that the book was finally going to target teenage girls and be about finding a new home with this Irish lass and her brother, but then they followed it up with the H'El on Earth and then I stopped reading DC. So yeah, those four issues for tricking me into hoping that book would be great.

kilomac29:

The highlight[s] of the New 52 for me so far have been three of my favorite ongoing series in comics.

Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino on Green Arrow. (17 and above) Lemire's writing is so vivid and descriptive that sometimes you don't even need the art. But, Man oh man, Sorrentino's art is amazing!

Green Arrow #26
Green Arrow #26

Combined with Marcelo Maiolo's colors, every scene is cinematic in its quality.

Brian Azzarello and (mostly) Cliff Chiang on Wonder Woman have been a refreshing take on the character. Azzarello writes WW with a lot of personality, and makes her more relatable to a wider audience. Also, the supporting cast in the book are often just as great as the main character. Although Chiang isn't always on art, (his replacements have been great too) when he is, his art really shines. Issue 23 was the high point of the series for me thus far.

Wonder Woman #23- Cliff Chiang
Wonder Woman #23- Cliff Chiang

And finally, there's Batman. I am an admitted Scott Snyder fanboy, but do understand that some people don't like his writing. Its fine if he's not your cup of tea, but I make no apologies for my fandom. The first pages of Batman #13 were one of the most legitimately terrifying and spellbinding sequences in mainstream comics. And that's in no small part also due to Greg Capullo's art. I won't even describe it, its that good.

Batman #29- Greg Capullo pencils (via twitter)
Batman #29- Greg Capullo pencils (via twitter)

Damn! Those Details!

Poet:@kilomac29 It's interesting for me to see you mention Green Arrow. I was looking at some votes in the comic section of Comic Vine 2013 Comic Awards and Community Recognition (notice that subtle plug? eh?) and it occurred to me how public opinion has really changed. I mean, opinions of that series was really low a year or two ago and I thought it was going to get canceled (it probably would have if they didn't have Arrow). And yet here we are with you citing that as one of the highlights of the New 52, some people nominating it as the best ongoing series of the year (I have yet to any tallying so don't know how it stakes up against other series but the fact is that it was nominated) and I am regularly seeing it rank high on my Best of the Month Poll. Of course this is mostly impart to the change in creative leaders, but I still find this change in opinion interesting.

kilomac29:

Its amazing what a talented creative team can do for a series.

I always feel bad for Ann Nocenti, I've never read her work, but the only thing positive I've ever heard is that she had a decent run on Daredevil. I shouldn't assume she's a bad writer based on other's opinions, I need to keep my opinions on her to myself until I have firsthand experience with her style.

I'm curious: how has DC surprised you guys? Near the beginning of the New 52 (when it was actually new), there was all of these controversies like for instance Starfire in Red Hood and the Outlaws and a few series like Green Arrow we all kind of thought were going to be canceled, and yet persisted. Was there something (whenever you started reading) that you thought wouldn't work or was terrible that later on (for whatever reason) you grew to like?

DoomDoomDoom:I picked up the first six issues of Suicide Squad and didn't really care for the writing of Adam Glass. I ended up coming back around to the book when Ales Kot took over and found it made all the difference for me. I was really surprised by the Larfleeze series, it's actually funny most of the time. I was also surprised how good Animal Man was/is, at first I didn't care for the idea that Maxine is the real choice of the totems but the concept really grew on me.

kilomac29: For me, the surprise was Red Lanterns. I was dubious of the concept to begin with because I didn't think those characters could carry their own book. I picked up the first three issues to give it a chance but absolutely hated it. The dialogue felt stilted and fake and the art just wasn't my taste. However, I decided to try again with issue #21 when Charles Soule joined the book. I wasn't disappointed either. Soule really turned it around, and now its probably my second favorite Lantern book.

Razzatazz: I guess that it hasn't surprised me. After having read over half of the original new 52 #1s, I am now down to 2-3 series that I am reading monthly. I guess if anything the new 52 reflected for me a need to search out more indies, as either the series in the new 52 were too pandering for me and yet were successful, or hit the mark for me and were canceled.

MadeinBangladesh: What really surprised in the New 52 was how good some of the series were, like Animalman, Swampthing, Deathstroke ( It was amazing until Liefeld took over, and it got awesome again once he left. Sadly, it got cancelled).

damswedon: Last time I heard Scott Lobdell is both still writing for DC, and writing more books. If you had told me that before the New 53 I'd have laughed in your face. On a more positive note, that DC would have ended up being the company that put out the Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition collection. I know that is technically cheating, but Marshal Law is such an anti-DC comic that them working with Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill to get that thing collected seems crazy.

What would you say you dislike about the New 52? And is there any way you can think of that DC could fix this stuff?

($10 says Razz mentions Wonder Woman and Superman's relationship as the answer to this question haha)

DoomDoomDoom: I don't think there are general things within the New 52 I dislike, only specifics like...

• That Rob Liefeld was allowed to write for Savage Hawkman.
  • The Stormwatch reset in issue #19.
  • Zero Month, Villian's Month, whatever we get next September.

kilomac29: Its already been said, but I'll echo the statement. Stop the September gimmicks. Villain's month was just terrible.

Trying to squeeze out 52 titles every month is just ridiculous. That was an arbitrary number to begin with and the edict has meant giving monthly titles to characters that just don't work in their own books. I believe it hurts characters like Katana, who I thought worked really well in Birds of Prey, to have their own book because the character isn't strong enough to carry a solo title. The best solution I can see is for DC to stop worrying about having 52 monthly titles, and cancel about 20 books.(not Red Lanterns, yeah I'm a hypocrite, whadda ya gunna do?) It won't happen but I believe it would really improve the quality of the remaining books. We would get the cream of the crop, in terms of DC's available talent, to work on fewer books.

Razzatazz: I am not sure if there is really anything to fix it exactly. The cool thing about the new 52 for me was that it was designed to bring together a wealth of talent and essentially recreate the DC universe and to blend in the other DC Universes of Vertigo and WildStorm. On the surface it was a pretty cool and fun concept, especially from a creative outlook, but in the end it has essentially come down to money, and it leads to the question of whether a comic company can be creative and innovative, or purely commercial, because first DC then Marvel seems constrained by financial decisions. On this website we often have a lot of fan fiction writers tackle problems like reinventing a comic universe, and this is essentially what this was, but the problem for me is that the most imaginative reinventions were pretty much thrown to the wayside to keep what is commercially viable. Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, the Flash, Green Lantern - these characters barely saw any change in the new 52 outside of a costume change, at least from a thematic standpoint, but take for example the ant farm in Frankenstein or the entire concept of Demon Knights. These were pretty imaginative concepts which failed not because of the lack of imagination and creativity but because lack of interest. So things like the pointless romance between Wonder Woman and Superman or the decision to cancel the marriage for Batwoman are representative of the company as a whole, where they are afraid to push the boundaries of the unknown and to create something new, and instead they allow trends and fancies rule.

MadeinBangladesh: The main dislike in New 52 has been the controversial writers-editors conflict. We don't know what really goes on behind DC, but it is clear that many were not happy with the way they got treated. It really made be upset to see some of the writers leave the book like JH Williams III, Haden Blackman, James Robinson, Ales Kot, Josh Fialkov, Andy Diggle, and few more.

damswedon: Oh where do I start?

Going to preface this with, as I said I haven't read DC for about a year, maybe they fixed everything I'm going to say.

The first six months of every comic where so insultingly slow, and at worst condescendingly stupid, that I have no idea as to who they were aimed at. Justice League was easily the worst at this with its one person per issue rollout of characters that had each member step on stage, read out the DC Encyclopedia description of them, and then end it the reveal for the next character. It is like Geoff Johns dropped in from an alternate universe where the english language isn't able to combine two words to make a new word. So he just assumed that people wouldn't be able read names like Aquaman and at least have a guess at what their powers were. I can understand why someone wouldn't be able to guess what Green Lantern does from his name, but you just have to say space cop will understand. I think the only comic that was able to make an opening arc that was enjoyable was Animal Man. But then that had to tread water for six months, while Scott Snyder spent twelve issues getting a free pass, because he had some amount of continuity to at least make his pages explaining why the giant corpse monster, that has been killing towns of people, was important. The reason why the giant corpse monster was important was that it was a giant corpse monster.

Ugh, Scott Snyder. I feel like there isn't another current writer who is less suited to the monthly comic format. He either needs to go full European and put out one two hundred page comic a year for each project, or go full eighties John Wagner and just start writing eight different weekly comic stories.

I've often wondered this: considering some of the stuff mentioned above, do you think DC has a good grasp of what its fans like and support?

kilomac29: I’m not sure that it’s as simple a question as that. I think there are people within DC that do have a good grasp of what fans want, but there are also other (more powerful) people within the company who are willing to sacrifice what fans want in order to fall in line with the current direction of the brand.

DC has a ton of creators who know what the fans want and are willing to give it to them. People like Brian Azzarello, Jeff Lemire, Andrea Sorrentino, and up and comer, Charles Soule and many others are able to deliver quality issues month after month. There are also members of management and editorial who I believe are in tune with what fans want. Geoff Johns, Mike Martz, and Chris Conroy oversee many projects that fans love and support.

At the same time, I feel the company is willing to sacrifice fan support if it doesn’t fit the company message. For example, I recently read the first volume of Batwoman by J.H. Williams III and Haden Blackman. It’s a beautiful book with an excellent story and theme running throughout. Fans loved it and sung its praises from the rooftops. (The biggest reason I picked up the book) However, because the story didn’t fit DC’s narrative, they were more than willing to go a different direction, and burn (detonate) bridges with the creators and fans in the process.

There are several other examples of how DC has screwed fans since the New 52, even so, I believe there are many within the company who keep the fans in mind and do their best to keep them satisfied.

MadeinBangladesh: I'm split on this question 50/50. They do have some good stuff coming out that fans are enjoying. They also have a lot of unwanted stuff. Who cares about the New 52 Teen Titans? Fans are dying to see Steph brown (I know, she is finally coming 2014), Wally West, and more DC characters. No one asked for Katana or Vibe comic. No wonder they got cancelled.

DoomDoomDoom: I think DC has a great understanding of their fanbase...but sometimes they choose to ignore them.

Razzatazz: In a sense yes because DC is trying to appeal to a wider audience, and the audience which it added with the new 52 is probably a more generic one than the one that they built over the years. That having been said though, I can understand how some fans would be upset with the new developments at the company, though it is not really anything new among the big two that they let their fans down.

damswedon: I have no clue.

We've heard a number of announcements on titles to come this new year (a weekly Batman series among other titles and arcs we've heard whispers about). Is there anything you look forward to? Or, alternatively, what is something you want to see happen this year?

kilomac29: I guess most anticipated for me would be Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul on Detective Comics. I’ve recently caught up on their Flash run, and really enjoyed it.

Something I’d like to see happen (but \won’t) is a new creative team on Catwoman. I liked what Layman did with her Zero Year issue, and I think Layman (or Marjorie Liu would be awesome) with Becky Cloonan on art could do amazing things with that ongoing.

MadeinBangladesh: I'm really looking forward to Jeff Lemire's Justice League of Canada coming in 201. It sounds like the book has a fun tone. I'm excited to see Buddy Baker in that series also some other characters.

It would love to see a QUESTION SERIES!!! I don't want that super-powered Question nonsense. It want it to be a noir crime mystery series featuring Vic sage!

DoomDoomDoom: I read at one point there was rumors of a Sinestro Corp title, which is something I would love to give a shot (I know, I know another lantern book). I would love to see an incarnation of the Doom Patrol pop-up somewhere too.

Razzatazz: I think some more titles with female main characters would be awesome. Also I would like to see the return of some of the main female characters that are still missing.

damswedon: The next era of DC seems to be firmly placed in the hands of the Snyder clan, and I don't care for either Zach or Scott. So what would I like to see? How about give Batman to Philippa Rice. She made a children's book out of papercraft that requires you to red/blue glasses to finish, that was cool.

Recently, I looked over CV's Roundtable User Discussion 015 which was focused on the new 52 when it was actually new with discussion participants RazzaTazz, Billy Batson,danhimself and Mat 'inferiorego' Elfring. Its host of course was our forever fearless leader @sora_thekey who asked them,"If you could only pick one of the 52 new titles as the only DC comic book you will read from now on, which would you pick?" Adding onto that question: what would you have picked when you first started reading the new 52 and what would would pick now?

kilomac29: When I first started reading, I would have picked Batman all day everyday, as long as Snyder was writing. Still love the title immensely but would probably go with Brian Azzarello’s Wonder Woman now. There’s so much to love about this title, not the least of which, is the fact that it seems to be in its own corner of the 52 Universe and gets to do its own thing.

I love how WW is written in the book but I think my favorite thing about the book is the amazing characterizations of Diana’s supporting players. For example, a recent issue begins with Hephaestus making something for strife, and Azzarello does a wonderful job with the slow-burn of “WHAT THE H*LL IS STRIFE GOING TO DO WITH THAT!!!” So yeah, I’ve turned into a WW fanboy, and I’m completely ok with that.

MadeinBangladesh: If I only had to read 1 DC comic, I would choose Green Arrow. I can't believe how good it got after Jeff Lemire took it over. There isn't any other DC comic that comes close to being good as Green Arrow right now in my opinion. If Green Arrow didn't exist, I would have chosen All-Star Western. Loving what the writer and artist is doing on that comic with Jonah Hex. UNDERRATED!

Just like @kilomac29 said, I would have chosen Batman when New 52 started. The court of the owls had be hooked on the comic. It was something new and amazing. I can't believe how much interest I have lost in Batman (Zero Year) right now. It became so boring. I can't wait until Zero Year is over and move on.

Poet: @madeinbangladesh yeah, I have to admit even I don't have that much interest in Batman right now (and I say that as a fan of Riddler...not that we have gotten much Riddler)

DoomDoomDoom: When I first started with the New 52 titles I would have probably said Green Lantern or Animal Man. Now I would honestly say Earth 2 (or Dial H if it was still around).

Razzatazz: Still Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman, though I am surprised that I am still reading Supergirl.

damswedon: When the New 52 I think I had the most hope in Supergirl. Looking back, Demon Knights before Paul Cornell quit. Or even better go and buy another set of Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl trades.

Well, that's it for this Roundtable! Say goodbye everyone. Last person out is buying the first round of drinks!

MadeinBangladesh: Goooooooooooooooooodbye!

Razzatazz: Good bye all, thanks once again for the talk

DoomDoomDoom: Have a good one ladies and gentlemen.

kilomac29: Thanks for the great discussion, goodbye for now!

I guess that means you're buying the first round of drinks, right @damswedon? damswedon? I guess they slipped out while I wasn't looking...Wait...guys? where did everyone go? I was kidding about that last person thing you know that right? guys? *sighs* I guess Poet is buying drinks tonight.

And thus concludes the 40th Roundtable User Discussion!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#1 The Poet  Moderator
GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

Nice.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

WOW, that must have been a bi*ch to do. I applaud you good sir.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Good stuff Poet. You are a hark-working Person!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

cool cool. Good to see the 2000AD love.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Awesome!

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I'd like to answer these questions as if they were directed to me.

• I'm reading ...a lot, so I'll just hit the highlights. New Avengers, All New X-Men, Captain America, Hawkeye, whatever Rocketeer book happens to be on the stands, Waid's Green Hornet.
  • I had a lot of questions regarding DC's relaunch, as, I think most fans did. At the time it was announced, I certainly didn't think the publisher was planning to erase a large degree of it's canon. I was initially excited about Morrison's Action Comics run, and the return of Aquaman to prominence in the DC Universe.
  • Two years later, and I've completely dropped DC Comics. It was less about outrage over character changes, and all about the perceived mistreatment of DC's creative talents by the publisher. The departure of Kevin Maguire and J.H. Williams were the last two straws for me. I just can't support DC Comics anymore.
  • I think DC has painted itself into a dangerous corner. By willfully breaking their old continuity, they've damaged the faith in their product from the audience. As much as one might be enjoying a particular current title, in the back of one's mind, one has to be thinking that DC could be contemplating hitting the reset button again, and that nothing one is reading is, ultimately, going to be around long enough to build upon, or endure. It makes it that much harder to invest in the new continuity.
  • The publisher can always take steps to prevent the cancellation of any given title. Green Arrow is a perfect example of a publisher willing to make changes to the creative team, the creative direction, and the mission statement of a title, until they reach success. Unfortunately, DC doesn't appear to be willing to take those steps on many of their titles, ensuring a healthy number of titles that are virtually dead on arrival. No sane person thought that Katana or Vibe had a chance.
  • For me, the highlight was, is, and will always be Batwoman. J.H.Williams's art is a revelation. I'll be studying his work on that series for the next several years. Robinson's Shade mini-series was also excellent.
  • I'd say DC surprised me by publishing Dial "H" For Hero. It shows that the publisher is, at least, willing to take a chance on more creative fare.
  • I think the thing I dislike the most about DC's current initiative is that it looks at their characters more as brands than as, well, characters. It's clearly creating friction between the publisher and it's creative talent. When so many talented professionals walk away from your company in disgust, to work for the competition, that, ultimately, can only hurt your brand. It's a lose/lose scenario that DC seems to have a zealous commitment to maintaining. I don't really know hwat they can do to "fix things". At this point, a regime change would seem to be the best option, but I don't see that happening in the near future.
  • There's enough interaction with the fan base, via social media, or convention appearances that the publisher would have to know what the fans like and support. Doesn't mean that will influence what gets published, and I don't know that it should. It's not DC's job to indulge in fan service. It's DC's job to publish great stories with great art. A writer should be able to tell the story he wants to tell. The artist should be able to draw what he wants to draw. Obviously within certain editorial guidelines laid out by the publisher, since, they are being paid for their work. The fan's voice really shouldn't come into it, unless the writer or artist wants it to.
  • Like I said, I'm out, as far as DC's "new" 52 goes. The only book I'm looking forward to from DC is the Black Canary/Zatanna graphic novel that Paul Dini has been working on forever. I might take a look at Grant Morrison's Multiversity mini-series.
  • I would've picked Batwoman. Nothing now.

Well, that's my two cents worth. Let me know what the drink tab is, and I'll cover it. Least I can do for interrupting.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz

@chalkshark: Why don't you join our roundtable crew? We could use someone like yourself

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@razzatazz: I have no idea how I'd go about doing something like that. I certainly would be more than happy to participate. I'm pleased to contribute in whatever capacity I can.

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@thepoet fabulous work as always

@damswedon How is The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys? I picked up the first issue because I dig MCR and also my unrequited love for Becky Cloonan, but felt completely lost. It seemed like there were eons of history I should know for the characters and the task felt too daunting.