Current Superhero Cartoons?

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I was curious, if there is any good superhero cartoons regardless of it being Marvel or DC.

The last few series I saw were, Wolverine and the X-men, The Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes (before they changed to the new one), and Young Justice. I'm currently watching the new TMNT show.

Is there any newer series I should watch? I tried Ultimate Spiderman, unfortunately I think it was made for really young children, so I couldn't really get into it.

So what are you guys watching?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm not watching. Young Justice and GL: the Animated Series were the last superhero shows that held my interest.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I just go back and watch the old ones including ones people really didn't enjoy such as The Batman!

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Marvel's got Ultimate Spiderman..I know a lot of people hate on it. The stories/set-up isn't as good as the previous Spiderman series (especially because it's hardly a "Spiderman show"), but IMO the art & fight-scenes are better (the latter perhaps because of the former), Avengers Assemble & the Hulk one. (I haven't seen the latter 2 or S2 of US...because I'm waiting for them to finish & be.....available for alternate methods of watching... so I can watch them straight in 1 go (as I did US S1). Once that happens, I definitely want to try them out though, I can't get enough of super-heroes in animated formats).

DC, once the king of animated shows, sadly only has Teen Titans Go & Beware the Batman. I have seen TTG & don't care for it (though to be fair, I barely like the original Teen Titans....tried too much to be like an anime & spent too much time on comedy), and don't care to give BtB a chance. I could be wrong but I have a feeling it's closer to "appeals to kids" than "has wide appeal" than I would tolerate. (Batman TB&TB was that way too. I thought it was okay watching it with my friend's kid while I babysat her, but I wouldn't keep up with it. I like the cartoons as an extension of the comics, and none of these comics are a joke around every corner. I want my action).

It's about toy/merch. sales....but IDK why DC doesn't think the audience (/age-group) of all their hit DCAU shows wouldn't buy things of them (and that they had to aim at younger kids). Personally, I don't have much faith DC can return to their dominance (and Marvel has never showed they can "hang". They seem to have dropped doing direct-to-DVD animated flicks, which is a shame because I liked the few they did), so it's a good thing they're going to try to crank out 3 DVDs a year.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: I didn't like the Batman at first, but it got pretty good towards the end. Green Arrow appeared and a Justice League had formed. I really got into after a while.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

I just go back and watch the old ones including ones people really didn't enjoy such as The Batman!

I really liked that one! The villain designs were a little weird, but it was well within that range where it could appeal to older audiences (on things other than it's humor - like Brave & the Bold).

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: Brave and the Bold was a gem. On the surface is was a humorus kids cartoon. But underneath it was a love letter to the silver age and to fans with a deep knowledge of the DCU.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: You maybe didn't intend it that way, but that comes off a little snooty (the last part that is). I know a lot about the DCU (it was "neat" they featured a lot of characters, especially ones that weren't mainstream), I just don't care for campy stuff. I don't look for comedy in my super hero cartoons (I basically want an extension of the comics (ie: action & story), and while I can't say I've read a ton of them, I don't think I'd really care for comics from the Silver Age). I'm also not a fan of the Adam West Batman series (for pretty much the same reasons).

I don't think anyone is wrong for liking it, but I don't think some/"enough" people liking it makes it a classic.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Beware the Batman isn't bad, Young Justice was very good, The Batman and Brave and the Bold suck. Overall superhero cartoons will never reach the awesomeness of the DCAU again

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By longbowhunter

@lightsout: I wasn't saying you didn't know plenty about the DCU or even critiquing your opinion. I was simply stating how much I loved B&B. I completely see where it wouldn't appeal to everyone. Hell, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. BTW, I'm not a fan of the Adam West Batman stuff either.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my 2 favorites are Spectacular Spider-man which is probably the best spider-man cartoon ever done and Green lantern the animated series which is the best i've ever seen in terms of superhero cartoons with great and mature stories kinda like young justice but with more focus which they keep till the end.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Jphu8414

Give Beware the Batman a chance it's a pretty good show

TTG is a nice show if you don't take it seriously, it's a nice show to just kick back and enjoy with

Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes was good and I've heard good things about Avengers Assemble

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

The Last good Superhero cartoon died with Young Justice.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I haven't been keeping up with the current superhero cartoons, but I did enjoyed Young Justice, Wolverine and the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man before they got cancelled.

Kanen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spectacular Spider-man Iron man AA Young Justice, W & the X-men, Green lantern TAS, Avengers EMH, were all amazing Cartoons. It's like we got Gargoyles and batman the animated series but we got 6 of them. Like honestly all cartoons today suck and not just comic book cartoons. Avatar the last Airbender is still my favourite action cartoon of all time and then Spectacular Spider-man.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently still watching Ultimate Spider-Man. I love it. In my Top 5 Spidey shows.