#1 Posted by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious if you guys have noticed any sort of bias when looking at the ratings given to certain issues by G-Man and other reviewers from ComicVine.

I bring this up mostly due to the stark contrast between the ComicVine rating and the user rating of the Superior Spider-Man series. I'm just looking out for my checkbook by making sure that I don't buy a comic based on biased reviews. I don't want to believe it's worth the buy, when really it was just reviewed with a fanboy mindset.

So what do you think guys? Are they fair or not?

Keep it civil.

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Fair? They're giving their opinion while you are on a witch hunt to "expose" Comic Vine.

Nobody cares or is interested.

Ultimately we choose whether or not to buy the comic. If you feel "duped" by their reviews...Stop.Reading.Them.

Simmer down.

#3 Posted by Zella (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Well first of all the reviews are just opinions for the most part so don't let them influence your decisions too much. Second in the case of SSM, it's more the user rating that is biased than anything else, a lot of people are pissed off about the change that happened with Spiderman recently. G-Man liked the change and since the issues have been pretty good regardless of whether or not you agree with the plot so he gave them a high score.

#4 Posted by dtschemmel (503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Fair? They're giving their opinion while you are on a witch hunt to "expose" Comic Vine.

Nobody cares or is interested.

Ultimately we choose whether or not to buy the comic. If you feel "duped" by their reviews...Stop.Reading.Them.

Simmer down.

Woah guy, you seem to be the one that needs to simmer. I agree with the fact that if I were going to give Blue Beetle a review, it'd be a 5/5 every issue. So I guess it has to be somewhat biased but thats the reason for having user reviews and comicvine ones.

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony's said it before. Everybody on this site reviews books they like. If its an problem compare the reviews on this site with other sites to help make up your mind.

#6 Posted by CuddlyPlane (84 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely stopped looking at comic vine reviews and look at the user solely based on the fact that it's a majority instead of one person

#7 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah I'm getting really sick of it...and by "it" I mean people b!tc#ing and moaning about the reviews....they're the opinions of one person and you can choose to ignore them but instead people go in to the reviews and continue to b!tch and moan about the review and not about the quality of the writing and art...at least the staff is actually reading the issues instead of just judging them by scans and what other people have said on the internet

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@CuddlyPlane said:

I completely stopped looking at comic vine reviews and look at the user solely based on the fact that it's a majority instead of one person

This.

#9 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

yeah I'm getting really sick of it...and by "it" I mean people b!tc#ing and moaning about the reviews....they're the opinions of one person and you can choose to ignore them but instead people go in to the reviews and continue to b!tch and moan about the review and not about the quality of the writing and art...at least the staff is actually reading the issues instead of just judging them by scans and what other people have said on the internet

Agreed, the I've gone on some reviews and commented that it sounds like the comic won't be my thing but I've never said the review themselves are bad. Mostly because they're very well done. (Although I don't like when they say there's nothing bad about a comic. >.>)

No need to flood the reviews comment sections complaining about 5 stars, people should just make their own reviews if they feel that way.

#10 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9004 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone on the staff gives credible reviews, and you also have the option to see other user's reviews on the issue also.

#11 Posted by roboadmiral (544 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Slow your roll, man. No one has b**ched or moaned here. He's asking if the community agrees with the sites official review of a comic. No need to get all excited.

#12 Posted by akbogert (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this argument gets a little absurd pretty quickly. Some people expect, and desire, and even sort of depend on reviews to be objective. But, of course, actually objectively reviewing a subjective experience is completely impossible. You can say what the book tried to do, and whether it did it well, but a person who likes what the book is doing will think highly of it and a person who dislikes what the book is doing will think lowly of it. Both will agree on what the book does, but one will give five stars and the other may give one.

I think a useful review, if such a thing exists, will acknowledge its own bias and, hopefully, consider what factors might make the book unlikeable; to say "this happens, and i liked that, but you may not." Otherwise there really is no practical difference between an "official review" and an opinion blog. And since people with limited incomes depend on reviews to determine how they spend their money, if everyone's blog is just a biased opinion piece without concern for readers of other mindsets, then it becomes a lot harder for hesitant buyers to actually get an answer.

Trusted review sites/publications DO exist. They are trusted because their scores tend to align with the popular view of things. They may be a little harsher or a little more lenient than the general public, but overall they don't deviate terribly. Their single score is representative of the majority, and saves you the time of having to read a dozen reviews to decide how the product "really" is. And I think it's fair to say that if any publication, Comic Vine or not, has official scores which tend to clash with reader/"normal" scores, then it is failing at what people who depend on reviews for their purchasing decisions need it to do. Raising that point should not be considered invalid. If people who need reviews are consistently disappointed with a publication's seeming disregard for being reflective of a whole rather than a single person's opinion, they have a right to raise that objection. Sure, it'd be nice if they could point to other places that were fulfilling their needs better (rather than just complaining), but that doesn't mean they don't have a point.

Anyway, I wrote something about my thoughts on reviews a while back and if you're still interested in what I have to say, by all means knock yourself out.

#13 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@AustinHasten said:

I'm curious if you guys have noticed any sort of bias when looking at the ratings given to certain issues by G-Man and other reviewers from ComicVine.

I bring this up mostly due to the stark contrast between the ComicVine rating and the user rating of the Superior Spider-Man series. I'm just looking out for my checkbook by making sure that I don't buy a comic based on biased reviews. I don't want to believe it's worth the buy, when really it was just reviewed with a fanboy mindset.

So what do you think guys? Are they fair or not?

Keep it civil.

They tend to give the Spotlight mostly to Marvel/DC over other publishers though that has improved a bit. The actual ratings seem pretty fair to me usually.

#14 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

@danhimself said:

Slow your roll, man. No one has b**ched or moaned here. He's asking if the community agrees with the sites official review of a comic. No need to get all excited.

His comment has less to do with this thread and more to do with the people constantly popping up on reviews complaining about the given comic receiving 5 or 4 stars.

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually pick up a comic based on what the general community has said about the comic. It's great reading the reviews of the staff members of Comic Vine, but the reviews on Comic Vine are mainly based on the opinions of the staff, not the overall community of Comic Vine. I think it all really depends on what kind of comic books you want to read and you can sort of check out the issue yourself just to see if you enjoy or hated the book, regardless of what ComicVine says.

#16 Posted by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

@danhimself said:

Thank you.

I was only asking about the quality or accuracy of the reviews, not saying that I thought the quality was bad, or that they were inaccurate.

#17 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

The way I see it, maybe 10% of people are naturally optimistic, 10% pessimistic, and the majority of people are somewhere in the middle, but easily sway-able either way. Typically, content people don't see the need to tell people when they are content, whereas the pessimists often live for it, and will use any platform available to voice their disgust. This means the middle 80% are more likely to listen to the pessimist, since the pessimist is doing more of the talking.

If something happens in a comic that's different or discomforting, the chance of the pessimists winning is very high. The chance gets higher when people who should be impartial, or even positive, also turn to the negative; the hype around Dan Slott's death threats, and the fact the Dan Slott himself publishes his hate mail in his comics, to name a couple of cases. The reason that spider-man gets such low votes is due to hype, pessimists, and people out of their comfort zone, with the assistance of people feeding for their own attention, while using someone else's hype as their engine.

Most of the time, people who enjoy (or are at least satisfied with) Spider-man couldn't care less about arguing with the immovable nay-sayers, and won't risk tarnishing their own opinion of the book to do so. They also aren't so overwhelmed with joy after reading it that they feel the need to shout from the hilltops about it...people would need to be made of unicorns to feely as strongly about these things in a positive way as the negative folk do...we're just not there yet :p

All you can hope is that the staff here read these books with a sense of impartiality about them...and regardless, you're more likely to get an impartial response from someone in their reputable position as "media", than someone in the anonymous position of "the internet". So as a rule, in this medium at-least, "the internet" is going to be more biased than "the media".

If that's still not good enough for you, bare in mind that a review will take a book, sometimes as much as 100 pages long, and turn it into 5 little stars. If you're on the fence about a book, there are plenty of other reviews to read, other staff reviews, member reviews, the comments section, youtube, twitter, tumblr. Take in as much as you can, and over time build a filter to what you read online. Just be wary that negative people are more vocal, anonymous people are more negative and content people are exactly that; content, and may not feel the need to get your attention.

#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (15247 posts) - - Show Bio

k4tz and Inferiorego tend to have the best reviews,Babs has shown vast improvement as well.

#19 Posted by Agent_Prince (138 posts) - - Show Bio

The scores are what they are, take em or leave em. It's what is written in the review that counts. And that is only that one persons opinion. I just wish there were more reviews across all the brands, instead of the same reviews each week and month. But there is only so much time. We're getting into video game territory with review score backlash.

#20 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh, this thread makes me laugh.

#21 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

The staff here typically only review books they like, which is why things tend to get higher ratings.