#1 Posted by CaptainBritain (20 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all i've just signed up so hey everyone, been lurking for a while but looking forward to finally getting involved on here.

Secondly, sorry if this isn't the done thing but I didn't see anything against it in the FAQs..

I'm pretty new to comics. I have been collecting Batman since the start of New 52 and it's been a great read so far. I then wanted to branch out a bit, I decided I would add something from Marvel. After looking for recommendations on here Indestructible Hulk and Thor seemed really popular. I bought the 1st issues of both, to my surprise I thought Hulk was great and i've been buying that ever since. I wasn't as into Thor for some reason, perhaps I needed to give it longer but I was money conscious.

I have the Spiderman: Ends of the Earth story arc because I think Spidey is awesome too. I found a great deal on a complete set of the variant covers and I had to get them, I love those covers. What with everything that's going on in Spiderman at the moment though it doesn't seem like a great point to jump in? Also I think it's bi-monthly and so, more expensive? (don't mind if it's worth it)

Anyway, I want to explore a little more and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on what titles I should pick up to start my first ever pull list? I was thinking of adding about 3 titles to make it to 5, but might consider 1 or 2 more.

In a nutshell:

Fairly new to comic books. Currently pick up Batman and Indestructible Hulk. looking for 3-5 titles to add to create my first ever pull list.

Sorry for the essay! and thanks for any replies I get.

#2 Posted by sagejonathan (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all, welcome to the community. Secondly, anything by a publisher called Valiant is beyond amazing. Valiant, in my opinion, is better than Marvel or DC. That being said I recommend these titles:

• X-O Manowar (Valiant)
  • Harbinger (Valiant)
  • Bloodshot (Valiant)
  • Archer and Armstrong (Valiant)
  • Shadowman (Valiant)
  • Green Lantern (DC; start either from the beginning of New 52 or wait for issue 21)

There are a lot more to recommend but I'll leave it at that. I'm just really pushing Valiant comics. Thor is really good too and I think you should give it another shot but if you really don't like it then don't buy it.

#3 Edited by Catsnlynne (998 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all i've just signed up so hey everyone, been lurking for a while but looking forward to finally getting involved on here.

Secondly, sorry if this isn't the done thing but I didn't see anything against it in the FAQs..

I'm pretty new to comics. I have been collecting Batman since the start of New 52 and it's been a great read so far. I then wanted to branch out a bit, I decided I would add something from Marvel. After looking for recommendations on here Indestructible Hulk and Thor seemed really popular. I bought the 1st issues of both, to my surprise I thought Hulk was great and i've been buying that ever since. I wasn't as into Thor for some reason, perhaps I needed to give it longer but I was money conscious.

I have the Spiderman: Ends of the Earth story arc because I think Spidey is awesome too. I found a great deal on a complete set of the variant covers and I had to get them, I love those covers. What with everything that's going on in Spiderman at the moment though it doesn't seem like a great point to jump in? Also I think it's bi-monthly and so, more expensive? (don't mind if it's worth it)

Anyway, I want to explore a little more and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on what titles I should pick up to start my first ever pull list? I was thinking of adding about 3 titles to make it to 5, but might consider 1 or 2 more.

In a nutshell:

Fairly new to comic books. Currently pick up Batman and Indestructible Hulk. looking for 3-5 titles to add to create my first ever pull list.

Sorry for the essay! and thanks for any replies I get.

I really like Green Arrow, Earth 2 and The Flash. I also like Demon Knights, Stormwatch, Deathstroke and Savage Hawkman. Deathstroke and Savage Hawkman are being cancelled after the May issue. Stormwatch is getting a new team starting with the May issue.

#4 Posted by CrashBang (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd recommend...

DC: Green Arrow, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Demon Knights, Animal Man.

Marvel: Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Superior Spider-Man.

I collect a lot more than this but these are my favourites.

#5 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:
  • X-O Manowar (Valiant)
  • Harbinger (Valiant)
  • Bloodshot (Valiant)
  • Shadowman (Valiant)
  • Green Lantern (DC; start either from the beginning of New 52 or wait for issue 21)

I agree with this, Bloodshot is my favorite right now. Also, Quantum and Woody #1 is coming on July 10th, and that will be cool.

Hawkeye is also a good series, especially since you don't need any knowledge of the previous issues to jump in (for the most part). It's a really fun book, but maybe not the most fascinating. I would tell you to get Batman Inc, but that's ending in 3 issues, so maybe you don't want it. My favorite Marvel book right now is probably Mark Waid's Daredevil, but if you want to read it you should start at the beginning of his run (Daredevil Vol 3, #1). I think it's on issue 25 now, so that might be a little bit pricey. All New X-men and Uncanny X-men are both great, so you could add either book to your list. The thing about Marvel books is that they have the recap page at the beginning, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into it (even if you start reading Daredevil now).

Superior Spider-man is interesting, but I have to admit that I'm unimpressed with it. I loved the first three issues, but 4-6 made me stop reading, just because of the art. Ramos and Stegman are great, but that other guy is not. I started reading again (because Ramos is drawing) and it's getting more interesting now that everyone is realizing Spidey is acting weird. Anyways, you can definitely jump in. Just read the recap page, and you should be fine.

#6 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

If you've got Hulk, you're sorted ;)

I recommend you try Daredevil, its excellent and written by Mark Waid who also writes Indestructible Hulk.

#7 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to Comicvine!

I recommend:

DC- Earth 2, Aquaman

Marvel- Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Superior Spider-man

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6089 posts) - - Show Bio

DC- Batwoman, Justice League Dark

Marvel-Captain Marvel, Uncanny Avengers, FF

Judging by your name, you might want to get Avengers Assemble #15AU, as it has Captain Britain in it.

#9 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7565 posts) - - Show Bio

First of: Welcome to the Vine!

Cool to see I'm not the only one here new to comics.

Secondly, I've really been enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy. It's only a few issues in and now would be a great place to start. Deadpool is going to start a new story arc soon and I plan to start picking it up. I hear it's really cool and fun. A nice break from the more serious comics. Avengers has been good too.

I just started getting Aquaman with issue #18(the start of a new arc) not knowing anything about the character besides some wiki reads, it was great, and I plan to keep getting it.

#10 Posted by Dabee (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainbritain: New Avengers is really cool. It's got a lot of great characters (Black Panther, Reed Richards [Mr. Fantastic], Iron Man, etc.) It's basically dealing with whole universes. It's pretty epic. Age of Ultron is the big event going on right now, and it's pretty epic. (IMHO) Fantastic Four, FF, and Hawkeye are all written by Matt Fraction, and he's doing an amazing job on all three.

In the DC Universe, you got a lot too. Green Lantern is about to switch creators (all four titles,) and Larfleeze will be getting his own book too. It will be a great starting point, but not an excuse to avoid what's ending. It, too, has been an amazing run. Green Lantern New Guardians is great, and really spans a whole lot of the Green Lantern universe, too. So, it's cool if you want to exposed to a lot of the characters from different color corps.

I can't go on forever, but there are a whole lot more. These are just the first that happened to come to mind, in no particular order. I'm sure I'm missing a lot and I'll wish I posted them here. So go crazy, there's a lot of great stuff!

#11 Posted by Owie (3612 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that even with really complicated-plot comics, you can usually basically figure out what's going on well enough to enjoy it, and for me, they repay the extra attention they require in spades.

I think Superior Spidey is good, and you could easily figure out what's going on. All you need to know is that Doc Ock's mind is living in Peter Parker's body.

Daredevil is great. All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are also very solid.

On a completely different direction, I think Saga is the best comic out there. It is complicated, but they just finished a story arc, and will be printing the collected edition soon, so you could pick up that, and the collected first arc, and then be all set. (It's only 12 issues in.) It's very adult-oriented, so be warned. But super-top-quality.

Hawkeye is also a lot of fun and has excellent art. It's a stand-alone series, so you don't need to get a lot of other comics to understand it.

#12 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Hawkeye

#13 Posted by ccraft (5031 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainbritain:

• TMNT
  • Batman and Robin
  • Justice League
  • Savage Wolverine

If your a TMNT fan the new IDW series is a must have.

Krang

Slash

B&R is a great series. Amazing art

Justice League has great art, and pretty good so far.

Savage Wolverine is pretty funny, great art too.

#14 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11046 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:

First of all, welcome to the community. Secondly, anything by a publisher called Valiant is beyond amazing. Valiant, in my opinion, is better than Marvel or DC. That being said I recommend these titles:

• X-O Manowar (Valiant)
  • Harbinger (Valiant)
  • Bloodshot (Valiant)
  • Shadowman (Valiant)

There are a lot more to recommend but I'll leave it at that. I'm just really pushing Valiant comics. Thor is really good too and I think you should give it another shot but if you really don't like it then don't buy it.

Do you know what the difference is between the first and second X-O Manowar series? (By the way, this isn't even my thread and you've got me thinking I should add Valiant to my pull)

#15 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11046 posts) - - Show Bio

As for what series you should read.... 3 - 5...

I'd pick up Green Lantern, Spider-Man, All New X-Men or Uncanny X-Men, Aquaman, and/or Saga or Invincible (those are Image comics).

EDIT: To be honest, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man and X-Men are really good. So take your pick.

#16 Posted by WebHead32 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I second the motion for Valiant's comics! Harbinger is a personal favorite of mine followed by Shadowman.

#17 Edited by kilomac29 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool- if you like the funny

Batman: Detective Comics- because John Layman is a great story teller

#18 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Try these 5:

• Teen Titans I've read the 1st volume and had loads of fun doing so
  • Green Lantern
  • All-New X-Men
  • Aquaman
  • Justice League of America
#19 Posted by sagejonathan (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:

• X-O Manowar (Valiant)
  • Harbinger (Valiant)
  • Bloodshot (Valiant)
  • Shadowman (Valiant)

Do you know what the difference is between the first and second X-O Manowar series? (By the way, this isn't even my thread and you've got me thinking I should add Valiant to my pull)

The original X-O Manowar came out in the 90s and had a different origin as far as I know. I've heard from older readers that the new series is better though. And if you have some spare money for an extra book you should definitely consider Valiant. They are a consistently good publisher that I think has the potential to go very far. It's just that people don't want to buy much outside of marvel and DC. To go far they need support.

#20 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainbritain: 3 to 5 books, huh? That's a tough one. If I could only read 5 books I'd select the following...

Nowhere Men - Image Comics - Quirky immersive sci-fi comic. I made a forum post about this comic here.

Hawkeye - Marvel Comics - Street level hero dealing with day to day issues. Almost like a sit-com.

Avengers - Marvel Comics - Grand scope cosmic Avengers. I'm loving this series so far.

Batwoman - DC Comics - The reason I got back into comics.JHWIII is amazing.

East of West - Image Comics - The creative team from FF come together to make a series about the 4 horsemen.

#21 Posted by impossibilly (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja. It's the best. The best!

#22 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19868 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics 19 is a good jumping on place

I heard Green Arrow is good since the 17th issue.

Nightwing is awesome too just jump on now.

#23 Posted by ThexX (1559 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainbritain: If i had to choose 7 series I would got with.

1. Avengers (Hickman)
  2. Secret Avengers
  3. Aquaman
  4. Red Hood and The Outlaws
  5. Thor: God of Thunder
  6. Ultimate Comics Ultimates
  7. Bloodshot

I will also recommend you go read Winter Soldier series it is great. I would have put it on the list but it only has 2 issues left, #19 is the last issue.

#24 Posted by CaptainBritain (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! Thanks for all your responses, I never imagined i'd get this many. Awesome to see a forum where newbies aren't instantly flamed.

I had considered Hawkeye before as it seems to be really popular on here and has great reviews but i'm not sure it's for me. The idea of following him on his days off seems a bit dull? and i'm not sure the art work appeals to me.

Avengers has been suggested a couple of times here, so I think i'll start picking that up if it's a decent read - I really enjoyed the movie. I think i'm more of a Marvel guy, but I actually have the opening run of Aquaman from the new 52 so I might give that a read and see how I get on. I'm also intrigued by the Green Lantern recommendations. I'm going to look into Dare Devil because the writing in Hulk is awesome and i'm going to try and jump into Spidey. So I have lot's to consider now, I think that's 6 titles so i'll have to cut it by 1 or 2 when I figure out what I like.

#25 Posted by CaptainBritain (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Mind you, i'm really curious about Deadpool at the moment too.

#26 Posted by sagejonathan (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget Valiant! You won't regret it, I promise!

#27 Posted by CaptainBritain (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry if my local stores stocks any valiant I will definitely check it out

#28 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers has been suggested a couple of times here, so I think i'll start picking that up if it's a decent read - I really enjoyed the movie.

Don't expect the movie Avengers. Hickman has really expanded the roster. Which I prefer, so the characters with solo titles continuity don't get bogged down too much. There is some focus on developing lesser known characters. So it is not Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and Hulk all the time. They are there, but not constantly in the spotlight.

#29 Edited by sagejonathan (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry if my local stores stocks any valiant I will definitely check it out

:D

#30 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6089 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainbritain said:
Avengers has been suggested a couple of times here, so I think i'll start picking that up if it's a decent read - I really enjoyed the movie.

Don't expect the movie Avengers. Hickman has really expanded the roster. Which I prefer, so the characters with solo titles continuity don't get bogged down too much. There is some focus on developing lesser known characters. So it is not Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and Hulk all the time. They are there, but not constantly in the spotlight.

I was going to suggest Avengers Assemble as an alternative, seeing as it kinda started as a series for fans of the films, but #14-15 are Age Of Ultron tie-ins, and #16-17 are Enemy Within issues and therefore likely to be very Captain Marvel focused.

If you want a smaller scale team that's likely to include 'Movie Avengers' a lot of the time, it could be a good series to look into. I only started reading at #9, but the only members on the team in them have been the 6 from the film, plus Wolverine, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman. I think the first eight issues mostly focused on the 6 from the film too.

#31 Posted by dscythe (40 posts) - - Show Bio

animal man, animal man and animal man :D Although it's at issue 19 right now, but the issues are still pretty easy to find. Also rick remenders Venom is a good read, but you'll most likely have to buy a trade to get the first issues

#32 Posted by RustyRoy (10826 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Batman and Robin
  • Batman
  • Detective Comics
  • Hawkeye
  • Batwoman
  • Flash
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • All New X-Men
  • Aquaman