• 60 results
#1 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

At the beginning of this year, comic fans were buzzing because of the copious amount of CBMs coming out this year which include Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Thor the Dark World, and The Wolverine. Even though most people expected the Wolverine to be at least good, most would laugh at the idea of it being the best CBM this year. Now flash forward a couple of months later, both Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel have been both extremely polarizing, and have left comic fans divided on whether or not they are good.

This begs the question: could The Wolverine, the dark horse of this year's CBMs end up being the best? I personally think it has a good chance. James Mangold seems intent on studying Wolverine as a person as opposed to having him just stab people, and the movie is based off of Wolverine's best story. So I think it has a chance to be very good.

Those are my thoughts, what do you guys think?

#2 Edited by jumpstart55 (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe imo. But based on the way people reacted to the first one, i doubt general perception would be the same.

#3 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

As a huge fan of Wolverine... I honestly forgot this movie was even coming out ! Could this be the best.. Sure ! I doubt it though ! I believe Marvel is going to take Thor and really give him the story and battle he needs ! My vote goes to Thor !

#4 Posted by Bezza (3513 posts) - - Show Bio

Best movie, as in the most realistic take on a character, but won't be best as in box office receipts. As a huge Wolverine fan I really hope its good!!

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza:

You and me both. Logan needs a great solo film!

#6 Posted by SoA (4776 posts) - - Show Bio

nope.

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@soa:

Why not? Elucidate your opinion.

#8 Posted by RustyRoy (11989 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, I hope its better than MoS and IM 3. But I think CATWS and Thor TDW has better chance of becoming the best CBM this year and Kick Ass looks good too.

#9 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7808 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08:

Probably not commercially considering the general reaction to Origins.

But, who knows.

I hope it's good.

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie:

If it isn't good, I'm just going to be locked up in my room with depression, so it better be good!

#11 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not.

#12 Edited by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey:

It has a chance. Both IM3 and MOS failed to meet expectations, and The Wolverine seems to be trying to give us a grounded CBM that is different from all the special effects filled one's we have this year. It could be special.

#13 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope it's good but I'm less than optimistic.

#14 Posted by ImmortalOne (3376 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't even wait until the movies out to declare it the movie of the year?

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortalone:

I never declared it CBM of the year. I said I think it has a good chance to the best CBM since IM3 and MOS failed to meet expectations.

#16 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7808 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08:

As long as you have a computer and access to Comic Vine you'll be alright. :)

#17 Posted by sagejonathan (1932 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Thor fan, and I think Wolverine is awesome, but I think Man of Steel will remain the best by far.

#18 Posted by ccraft (5201 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited for both Wolverine (7/26) and Thor 2 (9/8)

But I have to say MoS will remain the best CBM this year.

#19 Posted by ccraft (5201 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortalone:

I never declared it CBM of the year. I said I think it has a good chance to the best CBM since IM3 and MOS failed to meet expectations.

How dare you put MoS in the same sentence as IM3!!! >B(

I enjoyed IM3 lol, even though they sorta ruined that one guy (can't remember his name.) I actually understand the complaints this movie got.

Besides I really think people will appreciate MoS once the 2nd movie comes out, ppl will realize this is an inexperienced Supes and he had to do what he had to do.

I think the most interesting thing about Wolverine movie is that he's mortal now, so it brings a whole new experience to this film and a great danger...

#20 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be except for my movie

BANE THE MOVIE

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Man of Steel failed to meet expectations? In case you haven't heard, it exceeded box office expectations with $125 million dollars in the opening weekend alone. It's expectations were between 75 million and 130 million. And unless you're one of the reviewers for Rotten Tomatoes or one of the obsessed fanboys raging because of the end, it was kinda ****ing awesome.

And, on subject, I can't judge until seeing the movie. The answer is probably no, but how can I tell until I see it?

#24 Posted by ccraft (5201 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@RulerOfThisUniverse I don't consider such divided reception among fans a success. And yes, it failed to meet expectations for me.The action was incredible, but it had flaws that weighed it down for me :)

#26 Edited by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Man of Steel

2. Thor 2

3. The Wolverine

4. Iron Man 3

Just my predictions. But as a big Wolvie fan, I hope Wolverine surpasses Thor.

Not saying Iron Man 3 was bad. I liked it despite some terribly annoying flaws

#27 Posted by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

2014 will be pretty awesome too. Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, TASM 2, and X-Men Days of Future Past (very excited for this one)

#28 Posted by Farkam (4875 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it won't.

#29 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6448 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt it.

#30 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallen_crippled: 20 minutes of the film was screened for various comic news sites such as IGN and it got good reviews. So there is hope for The Wolverine.

#31 Edited by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

A superhero movie about a superhero losing their powers. Probably fighting a lot of ordinary non-superpowered bad guys (light on the Silver Samurai). Bring it on. Then lets make more Superman movies where his big enemy is a rock. This premise is something you spend time on in a comic or tv series arc to save money on special effects, not a summer blockbuster where people want to see explosions and all kinds of crazy crap.

#32 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't The Wolverine going to be based on the old Claremont-MIller mini-series? If so, it has a shot to be a real sleeper film. I don't expect it to be the best CBM, mostly because X-Men Origins was so bad, but who knows? This might surprise us all.

#33 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Maybe we need something different from the usual big explosionly summer blockbuster CBMs.

#34 Edited by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything:

Yes, it is based of the Claremont-Miller mini series. I got hope in it because director James Mangold seems to want have a real character driven story about who Wolverine is as a person as opposed to just having him running around and stabbing people.

#35 Posted by Farkam (4875 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna lie, but the trailers make this look good. I have low faith in X-Men related movies.

#36 Edited by cameron83 (7185 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by cameron83 (7185 posts) - - Show Bio

They'll most likely screw it up like they did the last one...to be honest,it doesn't even look or sound interesting to me.....but that''s just me.

#38 Posted by Immortal777 (7343 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly doubt it I completely forgot The Wolverine was even coming out.

#39 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by lilben42 (2530 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows?

#41 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3:

Maybe we need something different from the usual big explosionly summer blockbuster CBMs.

It's not like we don't get those all year long. And I'm not saying a good movie needs big explosions and car chases. But this is a superhero movie. That doesn't really conjure up images of singing in the rain or some highschool friends' last summer romp. Action please

#42 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

It chose the worst year ever to come out, seeing that Man of Steel is the best comic book movie ive ever seen, let alone this year. Im looking forward to it, albeit less than Thor.

Also Wolverine is slightly insufficient for carrying a film on his own, imo.

Now commercially, as in who makes the most money, I suspect Iron Man 3 will make the most, followed by Thor, followed by Man of Steel, and then finally Wolverine.

#43 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo:

How is Wolverine a bad character to carry a film?

#44 Edited by Trollheim (243 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, the premise of the movie sounds pretty cool, and it was written as a one-off exploring deeper elements of Wolverine. That sounds pretty good to me. I have pretty high expectations of this movie, although the last Marvel movie I had high expectations for disappointed so... we'll see.

It'd have to be quite a bummer not to be CBM of the year in my opinion, since Iron Man 3 already kind of sucked and Man of Steel had terrible pacing and a bland story (I only really derived entertainment from the sci-fi action sequences which were very cool... I'd compare Man of Steel with Transformers).

#45 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@trollheim:

It looks like it's Logan's year to shine. I hope The Wolverine comes through.

#46 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortalone:

Speak for yourself buddy. I got what I wanted from MOS, which was Superman punching stuff.

#47 Posted by Wolverine08 (41069 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_:

...... When I said MOS failed to meet expectations, I meant that it was largely divided among critics, and to a lesser degree fans......

#48 Edited by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio

As arguably one of the biggest Wolverine fans on the site, I'll hold my breath. Out of personal favoritism I might like it more than most and because I enjoyed the story it was based off of and so far the execution seems good on that, I might say it will be MY favorite. But so far I believe MoS will be the best CBM this year. IM3 to me, while a good movie, was lackluster to the series and will probably be the worst movie of the year as far as CBMs go. But, Wolverine comes out in a few weeks now and we still have Thor to see in the fall. So it is too early to judge, but the Wolverine has to be pretty damn good to top MoS this year.

#49 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt it.

#50 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: The people who like it outweighs the ones who hate it. XD