Could a superhero film ever win a best picture Oscar?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Now with the Oscars coming up tomorrow I want you to know if there could ever be a chance of a superhero movie winning a Oscar?

I mean the closest could have been Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight or potentially Snyder's Watchmen? (Depending on your view on that one?)

So what do you think?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I dont think so. Dark Knight was like an art house super hero film, and if that couldnt do it nothing can. Plus, the way so many critics got their panties in a bunch about MoS.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yes! As you say, Watchmen, Conan the Barbarian and Flash Gordon.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I would like to see a superhero film actually win an Oscar, but they are most likely to be nominated for Special effects like the Avengers was when they were nominated.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JulieDC

No. If Saving Private Ryan couldn't beat Shakespeare in Love, I don't think a superhero movie stands a chance. Not unless the Academy changes the criteria and their bias towards certain types of films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Superhero films are just getting g worse and worse. The dark Knight was the only one that could've gotten it but it didn't so no.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By batmannflash

I don't think so. The Dark Knight could have at least been nominated but it didn't. the Academy doesn't really care for superhero movies or comedies

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By stormshadow_x

A JL/Avengers could....

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As much fun Dark Knight was it was far from being a perfect movie........

Loading Video...
deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deaditegonzo

@judasnixon: Well, no film is perfect, and yet they still give away an Oscar every year.

Also, even if a movie was theoretically perfect, it doesnt mean that it would win an Oscar. The Oscars really seem like a bunch of pretentious d-bags selecting their favorite movies, and they would never sully their hands by selecting the dreck the plebs enjoy (comic book movies).

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@judasnixon: Neither is Avatar but that still didn't stop the academy.

Starbrander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Highly possible. The Dark Knight certainly had the potential. Just takes the right script, director and actors.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Highly doubt it, for now the superhero genre is pretty much restrained to action blockbusters, unless they come up with something more artsy fartsy we'll never see a superhero movie nominated, but I think it's safe to say we'll never see a Spider-Man drama or a Captain America period piece.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it will be happening anytime soon or ever really unless major changes happen within the Academy. The Dark Knight was a great film and at least deserved to be nominated but it was snubbed.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't believe any current superhero movie could be, but I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility. I'd love to see a future where Swamp Thing gets adapted into a southern gothic epic and brings home an Oscar. A Man can dream anyway.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By judasnixon

Highly doubt it, for now the superhero genre is pretty much restrained to action blockbusters, unless they come up with something more artsy fartsy we'll never see a superhero movie nominated, but I think it's safe to say we'll never see a Spider-Man drama or a Captain America period piece.

Technically Captain America was a period piece.... The whole World War II thing :)

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The only way a superhero wins best picture is if it's directed by someone the critics get boners from just hearing their names such as Speilberg or Scorsese. Nolan is included in that and if Dark Knight didn't win, I don't know if one ever will.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would any of you want to see a Superhero movie that is Oscars bait? What Superhero story line would you like to see turn into Oscars bait?

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: Yeah, but you know what I mean, it barely qualifies at a period piece (as in a movie that actually delves into detail what was going on in that time period). Not that the movie looses quality with that, being that it never intended to be a period piece, but I doubt any superhero movie could be transformed into a Saving Private Ryan... it definitely could happen (especially on DC's side), but I doubt it will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Would any of you want to see a Superhero movie that is Oscars bait? What Superhero story line would you like to see turn into Oscars bait?

Kingdom come.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon said:

Kingdom come.

Not going to lie, That was the first one that popped into my mind.......

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@dagmar_merrill said:

@judasnixon said:

Kingdom come.

Not going to lie, That was the first one that popped into my mind.......

It has the qualities to be "high art" which is what those oscar people like and still stick with the actual comic.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Our last shot was TDK. And I mean that in that that is the only superhero movie that really appealed to the Academy's sensibilities. But we all know how that turned out. One of the biggest snubs in the Oscars, no doubt....

But ehh, whatever. The mainstream superhero genre as a whole is never going to be held to the same standard as 'serious filmmaking', and neither should it be. The genre isn't meant for that (for the most part), and I'm happy with our CBMs the way they are.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssejllenrad

Correct me if I'm wrong but.... Didn't the superhero film with Ultron, Beast, Scarecrow and the chick with the red shoes fighting against Wanda win the 1939 Best Picture? Wait... Gone with the Wind beat that one.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oscars is overrated, TDK should have been nominate at least. Maybe when Affleck gets hand on Batman we can dream again.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

@veshark said:

Our last shot was TDK. And I mean that in that that is the only superhero movie that really appealed to the Academy's sensibilities. But we all know how that turned out. One of the biggest snubs in the Oscars, no doubt....

But ehh, whatever. The mainstream superhero genre as a whole is never going to be held to the same standard as 'serious filmmaking', and neither should it be. The genre isn't meant for that (for the most part), and I'm happy with our CBMs the way they are.

Sums up my feelings entirely.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very very doubtful, but I wouldn't say never. It still surprises me they gave it to LOTR: RotK.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possible, it the whole cast and crew die from some tragic death they could get the guilt trip win.

Just too much bias towards Superhero, Horror, and comedy films.

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: I know all they want is love or drama plus love never life saving hart stopping drama action love just love or loss plain and simple

CarolDanvers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose understanding the dynamics of Oscar voting needs to be taken into account here - it is a bunch of OLD men making all of these decisions; until this changes and a new generation takes the reigns we won't be seeing any superhero films winning any best picture/actor/director categories. Do I think that superhero films deserve far more nominations than they garner? Absolutely! I am tired of seeing superhero films relegated to effects categories. I do think there have been some great contenders for best film, as you mentioned Watchmen and The Dark Knight. I would also throw in 300, the cinematography was stupendous.