Controversy Traditional vs New Age.

EthericEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EthericEffect

I'd like to start off by saying this is not meant to offend anyone I'm simply looking for opinions.

I myself am a traditionalist.

I do not know the best way to say this but the idea of gay super heroes annoys me. I heard that the new green latern is gay and reference to the flash being gay as well then there is also blue birds brother it seems to be becoming more and more frequent, Does this bother anyone or is that okay?

Allow me to explain whatever is done in the privacy of ones home is not my business. Its our right to be associated with what we choose to do or not do. But with the recent gay movements and laws allowing same sex marriage over the past few years its becoming more and more popular. Which is fine. What I don't understand is why it has to be pushed on those who don't believe in it. I do not have straight pride parades and festivals I do not push my thoughts on others why then should they be pushed on me.

I do not believe in it so why should I see it in my comics when for years our super heroes have been a model for a mans man or for the strong courages women. The same sex stuff tends to cause the heroes to lose some of that greatness they once had. That model of being the traditional male or female. Especially in comics that are read by many kids and teenagers helping them to influence their decisions rather than when they are older and able to make a more conscious decision not just the popular decision.

Again not looking to offend just wondering opinions of this pattern that's becoming more and more frequent. Be reasonable I'm not trying to bash bit have an actual discussion.

Second issue involves the increase of violence and blood in our comics and related media. I just watched a batman rip off a tale of a bad guy with blood all over. It seems much more violent now when I was younger he would beat up a bad guy leave em bruised and have em arrested it never had so much blood and death before. What are the thoughts of this new trend as well?

Again I'm looking for a reasonable discussion not an argument or bash.

Hopefully I don't like a complete fool maybe I am just out of date.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

It's the world we live in now. You can't really not pay attention to it with social media and how information is just a click away. The internet, social media, and our culture and values and beliefs have changed from the time when this kind of stuff was taboo to talk about, heck look at segregation that was only 50 years ago and looking back on it you can think...wow did we really do that to African Americans. Time changes, people change, it's the world we live in now.

For your second argument yah it's a trend just look at The Flashpoint Paradox, Punisher and Black Widow Confidential and JL War, those films were filled with blood and violence,

EthericEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a new age universe and a traditional universe would be nice. So people can choose I read comics and get all into super hero stuff to escape reality not to see more of lives deliemas unfold in our fantasy worlds too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@ethericeffect: Yeah, you're kind of coming across as a homophobe in your OP. Maybe re-wording it would be a good idea?

For what it's worth I agree that comics don't need to be as bloody as they sometimes are these days.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Alan Scott was gay for like 6 issues, the writers kinda forgot all about it. Also I have no idea where it says Flash is gay.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Nothing's being pushed on you, bub. You decide what you do and don't read.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: I don't see how it was "homophobic", he's just stating his opinion. It's not like he degraded, insulted, or name-called them.

laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa said:

@squares: I don't see how it was "homophobic", he's just stating his opinion. It's not like he degraded, insulted, or name-called them.

Homophobia doesn't just mean to insults or offend gays it means to fear them. He basically wants to ignore their existences in comics. That sounds like something born out of fear to me.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Traditional.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

For the first argument why would you be surprised? Writers always try to push the envelope in times of strife and DC has never been afraid to get political. Several famous black superheroes were created during the Civil Rights Movement just as female costumes got much more provocative after the sexual revolution in America. This whole gays in comics thing is another expression by writers that won't be such a big deal in 5 or 10 years. I for one hated the Alan Scott decision because it was a lazy way to get to give attention to gay characters. Rather than create an interesting character who happened to be gay such as they did with Bunker or Midnighter, they hijacked a straight character so that they wouldn't have to put in any work on building a fanbase for any new gay characters. You don't have to like it but you shouldn't stick your head in the sand and pretend that the gay characters don't exist either.

For your second argument, one word: demographics. In order for comic book companies to stay viable they depend on their key demographic, new readers, i.e teenage boys. Teenage boys happen to like excessive violence, therefore publishers need to keep their books violent or else they'll lose these young clients to manga and anime.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Frogs

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Age Master Era!

EthericEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Pushing the boundaries is a very good argument. I guess for me its more of a relatable thing now. When before I could relate hal Jordan's womanizing or Jon Stuarts love affair with hawk girl Lois and Clark Bruce and Selena ... or any number of women. Then you add the stories of triumph over impossible odds when you're beaten Down then come back to save the day and get the girl... its the way its always been. I just don't want it to go away

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'd like to start off by saying this is not meant to offend anyone I'm simply looking for opinions.

I myself am a traditionalist.

I do not know the best way to say this but the idea of gay super heroes annoys me. I heard that the new green latern is gay and reference to the flash being gay as well then there is also blue birds brother it seems to be becoming more and more frequent, Does this bother anyone or is that okay?

Allow me to explain whatever is done in the privacy of ones home is not my business. Its our right to be associated with what we choose to do or not do. But with the recent gay movements and laws allowing same sex marriage over the past few years its becoming more and more popular. Which is fine. 1. What I don't understand is why it has to be pushed on those who don't believe in it.2. I do not have straight pride parades and festivals I do not push my thoughts on others why then should they be pushed on me.

3. I do not believe in it so why should I see it in my comics when for years our super heroes have been a model for a mans man or for the strong courages women. 4.The same sex stuff tends to cause the heroes to lose some of that greatness they once had.5. That model of being the traditional male or female.6. Especially in comics that are read by many kids and teenagers helping them to influence their decisions rather than when they are older and able to make a more conscious decision not just the popular decision.

1. If including gay characters in comics is pushing them on us, including straight characters is pushing them on us. Showing relationships doesn't mean you're being told to accept it. It's just showing a kind of person who exists in the world. 2. You don't need straight pride parades, because being straight has never been illegal, is the majority, and much less commonly frowned upon. I think part of the reason gay pride parades are there is to celebrate how things are getting better for gay people as time goes on, and it can provide hope to people.

3. For years it was like that, but we're living in an age were gay people are much more accepted. Comics used to be more racist and sexist too, but we're moving on from that. 4. I don't see how it can affect the greatness of a character. If anything it seems like they could be even greater, having to deal with and overcome all the common superhero situations, plus homophobia on top of all that. 5. "Traditional"(straight) heroes are fine, but straight people aren't the only people in the world.

6. Many kids and teenagers can be gay, and seeing positive gay role models early on seems like it could perhaps lead to more acceptance, which of course would lead to less hatred, violence and fear. And it can be good to see someone you can relate to in comics.

Basically, I think including gay characters in comics is a great idea.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kgb725

Im more of a you live your life ill live mine type of guy. I dont care what gay people do I dont care about their laws but I dont hate them or dislike them.

EthericEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers