Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Containment Threads (13 votes)

Containment threads should overrrule all other threads on the topic 31%
Containment threads should overrule some other threads on the topic 38%
Containment threads should not overrule any threads on the topic 31%

Containment threads are threads designed to contain a popular issue and all topics related to it in one thread. They are good for, obviously, containing a topic and preventing the forums from being littered with threads about the same thing. Some examples of containnent threads are the Feminism Thread, and the "Religion... What do you think?" Thread.

However, I don't think all threads should be locked because there is a containment thread on that topic, if the subject of the thread is important enough. To me, this would be the same as locking every thread on the daredevil forum because there is a daredevil discussion thread. This is not reasonable though, because some topics about daredevil are too big to be contained to one post in a huge thread with dozens of pages. The only people who will see the post are those who are huge daredevil fans and visit his discussion thread. If an issue is big enough, it should warrant its own thread, even if there is a containment thread for it. The forums aren't often littered with countless feminism or religious threads (just two examples of topics with containment threads), so the bigger topics should be allowed to have their own threads.

One could make the argument that this site is for comics and not discussing topics like that topics that containment threads are made for, but that's why he have the off topic forum.

I'm just interested in what everyone thinks.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely hate the idea, quite literally makes no sense, why would you take your specific argument and then go put it in a thread where people are having conversations about something nearly completely different and less people will see it, guaranteed. quick put all battles in one thread because they share the fact theyre battles

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like containment threads on things that pop up every 5 minutes (ie every time someone makes a comment on character race switching it seems to get its own thread) or things not directly related to comics.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By deathstroke52

Those threads are a mess. Like hundreds of pages of people in the middle of their conversations.

Unless it's like the exact same title/point, they should be allowed.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bump.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Posts get ignored all the time (i ignored ^ all that), but threads are looked at a lot. So if someone were to create a thread about some feminist saying she wants to massacre all men it would get attention and start a discussion, meanwhile a post would get ignored and start little to nothing. A thread thats vague and prevents other threads prevents discussion, education, and news.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like the containment threads.

Too many ding-dongs making a thread for EVERY little piece of news about a topic. Makes the forums incredibly cluttered and it's unnecessary. I don't want to scroll through 7 different threads talking about feminism, 5 talking about race issues and 8 about religion on the same page when they could all be tossed into one thread.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly it's so congested in those threads with so many topics and arguments that I don't go to them anymore. I'd prefer it if it was about a character/team that they'd post in that character's/team's forum (aka Batman forum, Spider-Man forum) in CV so there's separate threads yet still organized and exclusive.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Forums take up bandwidth and slow the site down. Slow site, less traffic.

Multiple topics for the same off topic subject need to be moderated. More work for us.

The site should be for comics discussion primarily. There's already way less quality comics discussion than there should be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This would be the same as locking every thread on the daredevil forum because there is a daredevil discussion thread."

Just wanted to highlight this part. Some topics are too big for a containment thread. If I were to make a post in the religion thread about something recent that happened it would be buried by some other users arguing over this thing or that thing, and no one would ever see it or respond to it. We shouldn't be discouraging discussion.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324 said:

"This would be the same as locking every thread on the daredevil forum because there is a daredevil discussion thread."

Just wanted to highlight this part. Some topics are too big for a containment thread. If I were to make a post in the religion thread about something recent that happened it would be buried by some other users arguing over this thing or that thing, and no one would ever see it or respond to it. We shouldn't be discouraging discussion.

But it would cost money apparently, and money > user satisfaction

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like the containment threads.

Too many ding-dongs making a thread for EVERY little piece of news about a topic. Makes the forums incredibly cluttered and it's unnecessary. I don't want to scroll through 7 different threads talking about feminism, 5 talking about race issues and 8 about religion on the same page when they could all be tossed into one thread.