Comparing the Graphic Novel and Film of Watchmen Part 2

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Here is article I have for Comic Frontline. This is only the first few paragraphs of my feature series for the site.

What could the film provide that the novel didn’t provide to its fullest? The answer to this question is music. This film uses that aspect to its advantage. The graphic novel references lyrics from Bob Dylan’s songs and even based some of its chapters on his songs. (Borsellino, 32) One of the phrases on the Nostalgia perfume ad was “the times they are changing”. The graphic novel could reference music, but it could never have the same effect that the movie would have when it added music into the background of certain scenes.

Bob Dylan’s “The Times are A Changin” is the introduction song to the film. This is a perfect introduction toWatchmen because the past has changed so much because of the involvement of these superheroes. JFK was shot by the Comedian and the American’s won the Vietnam War because of Dr. Manhattan. These are only some of the major changes that were made in history because of these heroes. This song also gives a social commentary of how society has changed over the years. Society has destroyed itself.

When the Comedian dies, a light tone from the 1950’s “Unforgettable” from Nat “King” Cole plays in the background. As the comedian falls to his death and his smiley face button with a mark of blood falls with him the lyrics play “That someone so unforgettable thinks I am unforgettable too.” The Comedian is an unforgettable character and the movie is based on his actions, and how it affected all the heroes’ lives.

Continue reading at:

http://comicfrontline.blogspot.com/2013/06/comparing-graphic-novel-and-film-of_17.html