Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2014/04/30/the-comixology-outrage/

You may or may not have heard about this but comixology does not allow in app purchases any more... Although this does not seem like a big deal, it will end up having detrimental effects to both the company and it's customer satisfaction. I respect comoxology and do not want it to lose its name, I have been a consistent customer to it but at tho struck they are doing stuff wrong.

If you also share the same opinion, boycot comixology, do not buy it's content until the in app purchases are available again... That is what i will do only because I want them to go back to their previous situation where everything worked out just fine.

Why am I making such a big fuss about this in app purchase thing? Check the link or the web, there are lots of reasons ranging from security to accessibility.....

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

That was a nice arcticle. And I can see where Conway's fears come from.
From where I am from, comics are very easy to find since they can be found in newstands and mini-market's of course the variety isn't nearly as big. And it is easy for a casual reader to pick a series just for fun. I remember seeing the first issue of "DC UNIVERSE" on the stands and I decided to pick it up. It featured "Batman: Hush", "Superman: Birthright" and a variety of articles about the DCU, 10 years later I am still a loyal comic reader.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

That makes me so mad.

I've gotten like three people into comics by showing them the mobile app.

It gave me hope.

Oh well. Not boycotting.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Out of curiousity, where will you get your comics during the boycott?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5 frozen  Moderator

That makes me so mad.

I've gotten like three people into comics by showing them the mobile app.

It gave me hope.

Oh well. Not boycotting.

We're comic fans. We must boycott everything that outrages us. As the article states:

because it strikes to the heart of what made Comixology’s app, a near-perfect venue for discovering and falling in love with new comics

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akindoodle

I know! It's complete BULLSH*T. iTunes cards and mobile credit were my payment methods! And now, I'm forced to buy from the EU site as well. Buying in EURO?! ARE YOU CRAZY?! The difference might not seem like much at first but when you're buying more than a handful? The exchange rate is not friendly. It's completely unfair. Bah!

EDIT: But unfortunately, I'm too much of a fan to boycott. And maybe I'm just being really whiny but it's not THAT much of an inconvenience. It's annoying as hell but not debilitating enough to discourage me completely.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

@frozen:

"THIS MEDIUM IS DYING! THIS APP IS GIVING IT HOPE! OH WAIT, IT'S SLIGHTLY LESS CONVENIENT NOW!

LET'S BOYCOTT THE APP AND PROBABLY GIVE THE MEDIUM LESS MONEY!"

We are a funny bunch.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem with this as I use Android and have always purchased directly from the website on my phone to purchase multiple comics via cart. The new app let's me do it directly in there so that is a plus.

I haven't checked yet to see if I can use amazon gift cards now or not. I'd be very happy if I could since I get them from work now and again.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sometimesavowel

I feel like there needs to be a Devil's Advocate somewhere.

With the in-app store, comixology owed iTunes and Google a cut of what they made on their comics. By converting the app to an e-reader and selling directly from their web site (much like Amazon Kindle) they can ensure that they get more of the profit. This is a GOOD thing, because it means they'll prosper more as a business.

I'm saying this as someone who usually charges the comics to his phone bill. It's money I'm spending either way, so it's probably a good thing I can't do that anymore.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't tell me what to do...

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Don't be mad at Comixology or Amazon. Be mad at Apple and Google for taking a ridiculous 30% cut to begin with. Everybody always complains that digital comics should be a cheaper alternative to print. This is the first step in that possibly happening. Especially with Apple's also ridiculous $x.99 pricing policy out of the way. Instead of 3.99 you could see 3.49, 2.79, etc. Or you could be like me and just read physical printed books.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I've been using Comixology for a year or so now, but I do so by reading comics straight from my computer instead of the app. So while this doesn't directly impact me, I can understand why some might be upset about this. But for me, as Comixology is the only way for me to currently read comics and because I don't use the app to do so, I cannot support a boycott like this as I do not have anything currently against Comixology that, I feel, calls for me to take such drastic measures.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I won't help you. You misspelled "boycott".

Zmasonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am very upset. If you want kindle users to have a better experience then make the app better for them, there are plenty of places to improve it. Why downgrade it for an entire group of customers?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'll do it. I'm in.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

id join but i want to read batman eternal

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I spent 2 hours downloading my collections onto the app on my Window's app and now I can't read them -_- so I'm in.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zmasonite: kKndle has nothing to do with it. I was saying that their service works exactly the same way. You read books on the Kindle app that you buy on Amazon.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am very upset. If you want kindle users to have a better experience then make the app better for them, there are plenty of places to improve it. Why downgrade it for an entire group of customers?

Because it's easier and hurts the competition.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I haven't purchased comics on Comixology yet, anyway. So... I guess I'm boycotting...?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The app didn't even want to start on my iPod Touch.

Zmasonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: idk how much it'll hurt the competition. How many apple users are going to get rid of their device and buy a new one just b/c the app is more difficult to use? probably not many. I was just remarking on how annoying it is that they are intentionally pissing off customers @sometimesavowel: The article talked about the kindle being part of the reason. I see that as a probability.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: idk how much it'll hurt the competition. How many apple users are going to get rid of their device and buy a new one just b/c the app is more difficult to use? probably not many. I was just remarking on how annoying it is that they are intentionally pissing off customers @sometimesavowel: The article talked about the kindle being part of the reason. I see that as a probability.

Apple is paid from in-app sales. Guess what its payment is reduced to when there are none.

Zmasonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zmasonite

@squalleon: Yeah but the loss is not very significant compared to how much money they have and will make.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Yeah but the loss is not very significant compared to how much money they have and will make.

80% of Comixology app purchases are from ipads or iphones (according to the article). And it is a win win since all that money now go to Amazon. And for companies money are never enough, minimize the damages and maximize the profit, the golden rule of managment.
Don't expect any company to go "nah we have enough money as it is".

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I never downloaded comics on the app, I tried with the windows app but it was messed up. The most irritating thing for me atm is the comics have a hard time loading, but then again my internet SUCKS!!!...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hmm. This sucks.

Zmasonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I understand that. All I'm saying is that at the end of the day they aren't kickin themselves in the head over it

Spider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't boycotting hurting the comic publishers most?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

That is what I was thinking too.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Not if you still buy print or from the publisher's apps (where applicable).

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Erik
Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I got the update on Android. It just has a new cart system now, it's very convenient for weekly comics especially if your on a budget.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Local comic shop... But you know, it does not sell everything that is on my pull list unlike comixology...

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

"THIS MEDIUM IS DYING! THIS APP IS GIVING IT HOPE! OH WAIT, IT'S SLIGHTLY LESS CONVENIENT NOW!

LET'S BOYCOTT THE APP AND PROBABLY GIVE THE MEDIUM LESS MONEY!"

We are a funny bunch.

They should reverse their policy as a result of low sales and the outrage... At least I hope they will.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Local comic shop... But you know, it does not sell everything that is on my pull list unlike comixology...

I suppose the threat of people switching to printed comics could scare them into changing things back. You could send them a picture of the stuff you're picking up to show you're serious.