NazarethSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NazarethSavage

No Caption Provided
Why are comics so awkward when it comes to superheroes and their interaction with other characters? Why can't character ever just be in a relationship and be happy, why are almost all relationships regarding superheroes a complete mess?  I mean Reed Richards & Sue Storm are still together after all these years and they toughed it out through all the hard times and you have characters like Luke Cage & Jessica Jones who seem to really love each other and their trying to make it work but most characters have been in relationships and some have even had children and it seems that alot of superheroes aren't even raising their children and they aren't building a family..their life just seems to be all about being a superhero. Now I understand that in the event that superheroes were real and that was something that people really did on a regular basis..it would be hard to maintain a relationship but it just seems that when it comes to relationships and having children in any fictional comic related universe everything seems to take a turn for the worse.  

No Caption Provided

Take Storm & Black Panther for instance. A couple that seems made for each other doesn't work because T'Challa just can't seem to give his wife the same love and respect that she gives him. Why? Why do we have to bother with their poorly written fallout when Hudlin and other writers could have simply made something decent out of it? Why does Daredevil have to have a new girlfriend in every era? Doesn't he know by now he can't protect them? Why don't they just have him get back with Elektra (whom is fully capable of protecting herself), that way we don't have to deal with his emotions when he loses her. Isn't that old now? Is anyone else tired of the "I'm sad because something happened to my civilian girlfriend" storyarcs? I guess my point is would things be better if writers simply didn't allow superheroes to date or if they did, they allowed to them to break-up the way normal people break-up? And when it comes to children do they always have to get killed or kidnapped or get caught up in some weird storyline, can they just be kids? Like when Danielle Cage starts getting older, can she NOT be a superhero or an awkward kid. Can she just grow up to be a teacher or something. Do comics always have to be so predictable?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Relationships in comics almost ruin characters. Most characters seem to be at their worst in those moments.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By jrock85

Depends on the writer.

NazarethSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NazarethSavage
@jrock85 said:

Depends on the writer.

So you think there has been writers that have handled relationships or parenthood well?
Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cap10nate

Because these are never ending stories in a universe that barely ages. There is no growing old together here because no one grows old. When you have a character at the same point of their life for 50+ years of story telling then the writers have to keep changing things in order to tell new stories instead of completely rehashing old stories with the same characters. If there was a beginning and end to these stories or if time progressed at the same pace as real time, then characters could fall in love, stay in love, grow old and retire. Since they don't, writers who want to add personal tragedy to their spin on the character needs to tear apart whatever happiness has been given to that character at that time and relationships are one of the most personal experiences in their lives.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jrock85

@NazarethSavage: Of course. In regards to Storm and BP, according to Tom Brevoort, the primary reason for the dissolution of their marriage is because fans and writers wanted Storm in the X-Universe instead of Wakanda and BP was always preoccupied in another corner of the Marvel U, so there really wasn't a way to properly develop the relationship.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jrock85

@NazarethSavage: Of course. In regards to Storm and BP, according to Tom Brevoort, the primary reason for the dissolution of their marriage is because fans and writers wanted Storm in the X-Universe instead of Wakanda and BP was always preoccupied in another corner of the Marvel U, so there really wasn't a way to properly develop the relationship.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

If the book isn't about a relationship or about family, then it's often about the tension of a potential relationship/family with that as the "conclusion". So in a perpetual medium, like ongoing comics, well, it always resets eventually.

NazarethSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NazarethSavage
@jrock85 said:

There was a way, but I don't think Marvel was willing to do it.  

@Cap10nate said:

Because these are never ending stories in a universe that barely ages. There is no growing old together here because no one grows old. When you have a character at the same point of their life for 50+ years of story telling then the writers have to keep changing things in order to tell new stories instead of completely rehashing old stories with the same characters. If there was a beginning and end to these stories or if time progressed at the same pace as real time, then characters could fall in love, stay in love, grow old and retire. Since they don't, writers who want to add personal tragedy to their spin on the character needs to tear apart whatever happiness has been given to that character at that time and relationships are one of the most personal experiences in their lives.

I understand that, I think my issue is more with the lack of variety in outcomes and predictability. Of course i'm not looking for every relationship in comics to work, that would be unrealistic but considering the high volume of bad relationships a few more good ones wouldn't hurt, it would be a nice change of pace. Same with parenthood, if everyone is going to have weird situation, I would rather they just keep superheroes from having kids because alot of these issues end up taking up panel-space.