CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CATPANEXE

Breathtaker looks very interesting.

Saying for comics I really liked, but no one read is hard on a site full of comics enthusiasts is a little hard, but a few I've seen minimal response on that I really
enjoyed and suggest of the top of my head are: 

- Monster In My Tummy by Roman Dirge (unsure if there's a CV page for this, if not enjoy your free wiki points ;))
- Frankenstein's Womb by Warren Ellis
- Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer by Van Jensen
- Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman
- Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker
- Zero Girl by Sam Keith
- Bodycount by Kevin Eastman and Simon Bisely
- any of the original works of Dan Brereton, ei: The Psycho (which currently has a film in development), The Nocturnals, and Giantkiller.

All of the above can be stated to be eclectic in general, and more than most fairly dark for those who groove on that sort of thing. 
These books pretty much stand in my best of comics list near to the top.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

Mark Waid's The Unknown from Boom Studios

No Caption Provided
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Oh I got the perfect one Arsenic Lullaby/Arsenic Lullabies/Arsenic Lullaby Pulp and its spin-off titles Laughter of the Damned and The Thousand Deaths of Baron von Donut. A great friend of mine that passed on got me into all of Douglas Paszkiewicz work and even though I've worked in comic retail for almost two decades I have never met anyone (other then Warren Ellis cause it makes him laugh) that has read or heard about any of the series's :D Arsenic Lullaby/Arsenic Lullabies is a dark humour anthology of sorts with multiple stories in each issue revolving around various characters such as: 

• Voodoo Joe who made fun of a witch doctor so he was cursed and his head was turned into a tiki mask, he has to do evil/bad deeds for anyone that asks him too and if he doesn't he starts disappearing, to help him with his mischief he stole a handful of fetuses out of the dumpster of a local abortion clinic and turned them into zombies because it is easier then turning a full grown person into a zombie (and fetuses are easier to replace). Each of his stories are about him doing these evil deeds for people and the repercussions.
  • There is a man who lost all his skin to a flesh eating virus and now he is on a waiting list to get new skin but until he does he has to walk around in a clear protective suit with a big bottle of blood on his back or his skin dries out and he dies, everybody thinks he is a monster but he is just trying to live a normal life.
  • There is also a pair of government agents that work for the census bureau and what they do is make sure that once a census is taken each year that the census number does not change and to do that they kill any new babies that are born and have to make it look like an accident so they have to come up with new ways to do it each time :P
  • Baron von Donut is a donut mascot who is an actual donut, he also a raging alcoholic, he magically appears whenever children need him too and he is always plastered.
 Douglas is also a regular contributor to MAD Magazine these days as most of his personal comics projects have ended and he has a Arsenic Lullaby cartoon in the works but the dvd pilot is behind.
 Voodoo Joe
 Voodoo Joe
 Me holding my zombie fetus
 Me holding my zombie fetus
 Giant blow up zombie fetus used at conventions
 Giant blow up zombie fetus used at conventions
 Voodoo Joe drowning his sorrows
 Voodoo Joe drowning his sorrows
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By Dracade102

Vietnam Journal from Apple Comics... 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By Dracade102
@aztek_the_lost said:

@Dracade102 said:

Vietnam Journal from Apple Comics...

never heard of it, is it meant as a realistic war comic or a fictionalization/dramatization of events in Vietnam? like Warfront vs. Unknown Soldier

It's a comic book based on actual journals from the troops of the Vietnam war... It's extremely graphic and certainly not meant to be a war-propaganda item for the kids. As I was told, it was suppose to be an inside look for the civilians back home to see what the war was like.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost: Well one of the trades is available used on amazon.ca but the 450 page 10 year omnibus just went up for sale, it is $40 for softcover and $60 for hardcover if you get it directly from Douglas but MyComicShop has the hardcover right now for $40 but I'm not sure how much shipping is and there are some comics and trades on ebay here. And to wet your whistle here are a couple of comic pages 1 and 2 ;D (the first comic page probably isn't very kid appropriate)
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By IrishX
The Goon and his partner Franky kill zombies....  and it's probably the most fun you can have reading about it. If you are looking for a series that you don't have to take so serious and can sit back and enjoy some humor with a dash of violence thrown in then this is your comic. Besides, how can you not love a family that looks like this.... 

No Caption Provided

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123

Hipster thread? Hipster thread. 

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By jrock85
RUSTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RUSTMAN
Twenty-seven by Charles Soule. 

Protagonist is Will Garland, a famous rock guitarist who suffers an injury in his hand and is unable to play anymore, and the story is about the lengths he'll go to to be able to play again. Throw in some mythology, numerology, crazy rock facts (ozzy osbourne once snorted a line of ants off the sidewalk on a dare) and lots about the 27 club, and you end up with an awesome little mini series. 

As a guitarist of 12 years and a musician by profession myself I've always wondered what I would do if i couldn't play any more, and this book literally has everything I want in a comic in it.  Charles Soule is a guitarist too and it's clear he knows his stuff.

"27: second set" starts in september and i can't wait.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123
@aztek_the_lost: I was kidding. I've read "The Darkness" and not a lot of people I know seem to have heard of it. 
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Aiden Cross
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost: The more I think about it the more I think you should probably only order it from within Canada, I could easily see Arsenic Lullaby getting confiscated coming over the border (more examples why here and here, NSFW) and you would be out all that money :( You can try going to your regular comic shop, it can be ordered through Diamond pretty easily, if you get it through Diamond you would want to order the softcover though cause the hardcover is in short supply and might run out at any time, luckily it is also cheaper through Diamond $30 :) the order code is OCT100795.
Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
I don't know how well known this is but I'm sure I've never seen any talk about it here other than me babbling on about it now and again, it's one of my favourites as a kid. It's not especially remarkable but with the onset of the Legacy comics it's become a much larger part of the Star Wars universe. It was just interesting to read a comic about a lost Jedi and a bit more on Aura Sing, seems to me that Star Wars comics are largely overlooked but it could just be my perception of them. 
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IrishX
@aztek_the_lost
I'd say with The Goon you could probably start at the beginning of the 2003 series. Eric Powell himself would probably tell you not to even read the earlier issues because both his writing and art still wasn't that great. By 2003 though he had it down and really knew where he was going with the character and series.

The nice thing is there's not many issues to catch up on with only #35 coming out tommorow.
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@aztek_the_lost said: 

@RUSTMAN said:

Twenty-seven by Charles Soule. Protagonist is Will Garland, a famous rock guitarist who suffers an injury in his hand and is unable to play anymore, and the story is about the lengths he'll go to to be able to play again. Throw in some mythology, numerology, crazy rock facts (ozzy osbourne once snorted a line of ants off the sidewalk on a dare) and lots about the 27 club, and you end up with an awesome little mini series. As a guitarist of 12 years and a musician by profession myself I've always wondered what I would do if i couldn't play any more, and this book literally has everything I want in a comic in it. Charles Soule is a guitarist too and it's clear he knows his stuff. "27: second set" starts in september and i can't wait.

holy crap, I clearly had no idea what that book was about, I remember it coming out but I never even gave it a glance because the title didn't draw me in I guess, would it be enjoyable if you only know the basics of some of those things (27 club, ozzy osbourne snorting ants, etc.) or would you say most of your personal enjoyment came from your ties to that world of being a professional musician?

27 is awesome 

What if King Arthur was a wild west gun slinger and merlin was a native american mystic.....? 
No Caption Provided

Steampunk fairy tales where Red Riding hood isnt so little any more and hunts werewolves for a living also Jack the giant slayer is one bad ass. 
No Caption Provided
CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I really loved Dennis O'Neill's Doc Savage series and the mini-series that he did featuring Doc as well. Both had some really good art by Andy Kubert and whoever his brother is.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IrishX
@spiderbat87
I really like most things steampunk and find alternate takes on classic characters cool. I'll take a look at it but does it only come as a Hardcover? 

Edit: Sorry I was talking about Legends: The Enchanted.
jimmy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jimmy11

I really enjoyed The Iron Saint (originally known as Iron and the Maiden).Too bad there are only 4 issues. I like an idea of retro future in 1930s.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By ReVamp

Right now I'm drawing a blank and can only think about Hunter-Killer   

However, I'm missing something for sure. At least two series. Unless I start talking about Wildstorm, series like Backlash aren't really well known. I like Midnighter and Grifter, but that goes against two or more of the rules so I'll keep my lips shut. 

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@IrishX said:
@spiderbat87: I really like most things steampunk and find alternate takes on classic characters cool. I'll take a look at it but does it only come as a Hardcover?  Edit: Sorry I was talking about Legends: The Enchanted.  
Pretty sure it is only a hardcover, I just read it a couple weeks ago, it is pretty good.
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@pikahyper said:
@IrishX said:
@spiderbat87: I really like most things steampunk and find alternate takes on classic characters cool. I'll take a look at it but does it only come as a Hardcover?  Edit: Sorry I was talking about Legends: The Enchanted.  
Pretty sure it is only a hardcover, I just read it a couple weeks ago, it is pretty good.
No no you can get it soft cover as well
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@spiderbat87 said:
@pikahyper said:
@IrishX said:
Where? I just double checked and there is no softcover available from amazon, mycomicshop or comixology and Diamond has no record of anything coming out other then the hardcover. Are you thinking of the zero issue preview that came out?
Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Kairan1979
@jimmy11 said:
I really enjoyed The Iron Saint (originally known as Iron and the Maiden).Too bad there are only 4 issues. I like an idea of retro future in 1930s.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
I enjoyed Iron and The Maiden too. And I wish there were more issues.

The comic book I've read that deserves much more attention is Doktor Sleepless (Avatar) and Morning Glories (Image). The stories really mess up with your mind.
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@pikahyper said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@pikahyper said:
@IrishX said:
Where? I just double checked and there is no softcover available from amazon, mycomicshop or comixology and Diamond has no record of anything coming out other then the hardcover. Are you thinking of the zero issue preview that came out?
I got it second hand of my mate, no idea where he got it like but its def a soft.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@spiderbat87: Odd, are you outside the US?
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
 @pikahyper said:
@spiderbat87: Odd, are you outside the US?

Yea from Scotland 

@IrishX
:   
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Vortex13
@CATPANEXE said:
Breathtaker looks very interesting.

Saying for comics I really liked, but no one read is hard on a site full of comics enthusiasts is a little hard, but a few I've seen minimal response on that I really
enjoyed and suggest of the top of my head are: 

- Monster In My Tummy by Roman Dirge (unsure if there's a CV page for this, if not enjoy your free wiki points ;))
- Frankenstein's Womb by Warren Ellis
- Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer by Van Jensen
- Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman
- Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker
- Zero Girl by Sam Keith
- Bodycount by Kevin Eastman and Simon Bisely
- any of the original works of Dan Brereton, ei: The Psycho (which currently has a film in development), The Nocturnals, and Giantkiller.  All of the above can be stated to be eclectic in general, and more than most fairly dark for those who groove on that sort of thing.  These books pretty much stand in my best of comics list near to the top.
I have Black Orchid and Frankenstein's Womb. I'm not sure if you remember but I got Frankenstein's Womb on your suggestion and I loved it. I want to get Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer but I can never freakin find it lol.

For me I have two that come to mind

Bloody Mary By Garth Ennis 
and also The Field On the Edge of the Woods by Mike "Frick" Weber

I would highly recommend The Field On the Edge of the Woods, however it comes with a very depressing aspect to it which is the rest of the story has yet to be released due to poor sales of the first I suspect. So all of you should buy a copy so I can hopefully get the rest of this damn awesome story!
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By IrishX
@spiderbat87: Nice video. I'll def. have to check it out.
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@IrishX said:
@spiderbat87: Nice video. I'll def. have to check it out.
If you like it you should check out:
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
jimmy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jimmy11
Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By Benzo
Quit an amazing series that deserves a lot more attention! :) 
Quit an amazing series that deserves a lot more attention! :) 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@spiderbat87: Ah makes sense that different edition would be released overseas. 

I've just been getting into Radical comics and so far I'm loving them.
RUSTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RUSTMAN
@aztek_the_lost said:

@RUSTMAN said:

Twenty-seven by Charles Soule. Protagonist is Will Garland, a famous rock guitarist who suffers an injury in his hand and is unable to play anymore, and the story is about the lengths he'll go to to be able to play again. Throw in some mythology, numerology, crazy rock facts (ozzy osbourne once snorted a line of ants off the sidewalk on a dare) and lots about the 27 club, and you end up with an awesome little mini series. As a guitarist of 12 years and a musician by profession myself I've always wondered what I would do if i couldn't play any more, and this book literally has everything I want in a comic in it. Charles Soule is a guitarist too and it's clear he knows his stuff. "27: second set" starts in september and i can't wait.

holy crap, I clearly had no idea what that book was about, I remember it coming out but I never even gave it a glance because the title didn't draw me in I guess, would it be enjoyable if you only know the basics of some of those things (27 club, ozzy osbourne snorting ants, etc.) or would you say most of your personal enjoyment came from your ties to that world of being a professional musician?

I think you'd still enjoy it. It's a great story and you should be able to pick up all the music stuff they mention without too much trouble. There's always wikipedia if you want some more info on Leo Kottke or Tony Iommi or whoever they mention. If you get it as a trade Charles Soule talks about it (he seems like a pretty cool guy) and there's a great back up story about Robert Johnson (generally considered the first guy to join the 27 club after he 'sold his soul to the devil' to become a Delta Blues musician).  

There's even a puzzle in the pages and you could have won a ticket to a con of your choice if you sent the answer in in time!  

Definitely worth checking out.
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#45  Edited By Deadcool
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By owie  Moderator

I was a big Mage and Grendel fan back in the day.  They're semi popular but I don't see a ton of activity on them here on CV so I'll list them.  The Hero Discovered run, and Grendel up through issue 40, was all great.  The last set of issues of Grendel, with Wagner and and and early Tim Sale, was done with a very cool visual approach.  Four Devils One Hell was one of the only good miniseries to come out of Grendel Tales, it had great painted art.

There was a series from 1992 called Exit from Caliber Comics by N. Kanan.  It had great b+w art, really nice linework and solid back forms.  It was about everyday kids, very existential mood, just a really nice touch.

Exit
 Exit
devdev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By devdev

Blankets, Blankets, Blankets and Goodbye Chunky Rice. 

No Caption Provided

Craig Thompson writes amazing stories that you can easily relate to. He will make you go Bawww
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReVamp
@Deadcool said:

Ultimate Armor Wars, HOLLY CRAP! this one is an epic one, really awesome comic... 
Nextwave, one of the best things that I have read in comics...
Read the first one and loved it. Never gave Nextwave a chance though...
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#49  Edited By Deadcool
@ReVamp
Well, Warren Ellis wrote both, so, if you liked one, you would probably like the other one aswell...
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ReVamp
@Deadcool said:
@ReVamp: Well, Warren Ellis wrote both, so, if you liked one, you would probably like the other one aswell...
Hopefully that's the case. The thing is, I loved that era in the Ultimate Universe.